• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saki Amamiya! Beta Released! Download Now!

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Ummm I really don't know because last I checked fractions cannot be expressed in hex. Maybe I'm wrong?
Well, kinda, but kinda not.

Basically, there are two main types of numbers a computer uses. Integers, which are whole numbers, and floating points, which are stuff like fractions (it can be used for incredibly large numbers too). If you're dealing with integers, you will most likely NOT be able to use fractions, unfortunately, and I'm assuming that damage is expressed as an integer. Even if you could set the damage to 0.5, I'm not entirely sure Brawl stores damage as a floating point either[citation needed], so everything after the decimal point might be truncated and you'd be left with 0 damage.

Probably easier and safer to leave it at 1. At least that way players know they're doing SOMETHING, too.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Well, kinda, but kinda not.

Basically, there are two main types of numbers a computer uses. Integers, which are whole numbers, and floating points, which are stuff like fractions (it can be used for incredibly large numbers too). If you're dealing with integers, you will most likely NOT be able to use fractions, unfortunately, and I'm assuming that damage is expressed as an integer. Even if you could set the damage to 0.5, I'm not entirely sure Brawl stores damage as a floating point either[citation needed], so everything after the decimal point might be truncated and you'd be left with 0 damage.

Probably easier and safer to leave it at 1. At least that way players know they're doing SOMETHING, too.
Brawl does keep current damage stored as floating points. It can take decimal. This is why diddy's peanuts heal 2.2%. :p
Is that so?
I feel like in PSA if I change the damage amount to a floating point I could achieve that.
Maybe I'll check Diddy's fighter.pac out.

But Tommo, how would you express 0.5 as a floating point in the first place?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
The healing percent is in common3. 0.5 as a floating point is 3F000000. Parameters for PSA events do not take take floating points. They only take standard hex values or scalars. Scalars are calculated by doing X times 60000, then convert the result into hex.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
The healing percent is in common3. 0.5 as a floating point is 3F000000. Parameters for PSA events do not take take floating points. They only take standard hex values or scalars. Scalars are calculated by doing X times 60000, then convert the result into hex.
Yes but can't you change it to "variable" as well, which includes floating point?

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Everyone I have an announcement.

I have recently decided that I'd like to upgrade my laptop to something much more powerful.
But in order to do so I need to sell my current laptop.
This unfortunately means I'll be unable to continue work on Saki for 1 - 2 week(s).
I'm not entirely sure when this will take place but I'll keep you guys posted.

I hope you all can understand.
Just remember that a release is quickly approaching.

If anyone is interested my to-do list is as follows:
Finish improving aerial attacks/animations
Complete PSA work for grabs
Fix the item glitch
Overall cleanup of animations
Overall cleanup of PSA
Complete textures and start CSPs, etc.

Anddd that's it for the first release.

Edit:
Ohhhhh P.S. I recently acquired a video capture card so stay tuned for better quality videos!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
If you can tweak it, I would love to see a fully playable Saki using the clone engine on a Project M DLC :). Good job.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm not too happy about the animation you gave Saki's airdodge has in the video. Mainly the way he thrusts his hips forward and how his right leg kinda gets exposed over his pants. The dodge rolls also seem a tad slow, but that's just me.

Other than that, everything looks awesome.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too happy about the animation you gave Saki's airdodge has in the video. Mainly the way he thrusts his hips forward and how his right leg kinda gets exposed over his pants. The dodge rolls also seem a tad slow, but that's just me.

Other than that, everything looks awesome.
Thanks for your feedback.
I agree with you, I will change it to something much better

The reason is that Saki actually has Ganondorf's jumps, so I chose his air dodge so it would line up with the falling animations.
But I will just have to fix up a better one.

I think the rolls are okay though, I'll look in to it.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
That may be why hahaha.
I actually think Saki shouldn't be that fast of a character, he already has many advantages.
The rolls are taken from Link.

Edit:
Everyone I'd like to thank Eternal Yoshi because I recently got items working with Saki.
Now I'll begin working on the animations for items. Saki's starting to look like a full character!

Edit 2:
Why is no one writing on this thread, common people!
anywho here are some snapshots!

Saki with 2 guns??? Impossible!
Beta release in a few days!

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
A few days until the beta?

Sweeeeeeeeet : D

I'm actually meeting up with a couple friends in about a week or so, so if 'beta in a few days' means 'beta before the 7th', then I'd be able to get in some pretty good playtesting!

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Eternal

A few days until the beta?

Sweeeeeeeeet : D

I'm actually meeting up with a couple friends in about a week or so, so if 'beta in a few days' means 'beta before the 7th', then I'd be able to get in some pretty good playtesting!
Chances are yes :)
Although, I've been having some issues with grabbing.
It might just be that the beta won't include grabs.
I'll see.

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
Thanks Eternal

Chances are yes :)
Although, I've been having some issues with grabbing.
It might just be that the beta won't include grabs.
I'll see.

Awesome! Can't wait to use him. Good luck on the grabbing thing.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
So excited to try this!

EDIT: Unfortunately, I get hitbox problems :(
Oh common Tommo! they aren't even that bad :p
I did try fixing them but I wanted a beta release now.

And Dee I PROMISE that is coming soon. (and taunts etc) He does have a lose pose? haha

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
So, after messing with it a bit, I noticed some... interesting things.

Hitbox problems, which I'm sure you're aware of.

His Neutral A doesn't hit if you're right in front of the person, I'm not sure if that's on purpose or not.

If you press B when you're moving, he goes all Energizer bunny on you and keeps going forever. If you hold forward, he even ignores ledges and starts running on air!

I'm not trying make it seem like I don't like it, because I find it quite awesome, just thought you should know what's buggy with it. That's the point of beta testing, right? :3

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
So, after messing with it a bit, I noticed some... interesting things.

Hitbox problems, which I'm sure you're aware of.

His Neutral A doesn't hit if you're right in front of the person, I'm not sure if that's on purpose or not.

If you press B when you're moving, he goes all Energizer bunny on you and keeps going forever. If you hold forward, he even ignores ledges and starts running on air!

I'm not trying make it seem like I don't like it, because I find it quite awesome, just thought you should know what's buggy with it. That's the point of beta testing, right? :3
Yeah the hit boxes need work.

Oh crap you're right! I'll fix that right now.
Thanks.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Speaking from a competitive standpoint... Saki's broken right now.

Fsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, Utilt, and Nair(first hit) have way too much knockback and KO too early, especially considering the speed and range of each attack. I would suggest changing the power of Fsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, and Utilt to somewhat below Marth's non-tippered knockback potential. As far as Nair, idk, but make it weaker.

Maybe make Dsmash stronger in compensation?

Also Uair doesn't connect all of the hits properly in game, it seems.
Bair doesn't have any flinch hitboxes.
And I'm sure you know this already, but grabbing an opponent results in an auto-break.

Oh, also, that download link doesn't work.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Speaking from a competitive standpoint... Saki's broken right now.

Fsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, Utilt, and Nair(first hit) have way too much knockback and KO too early, especially considering the speed and range of each attack. I would suggest changing the power of Fsmash, Usmash, Ftilt, and Utilt to somewhat below Marth's non-tippered knockback potential. As far as Nair, idk, but make it weaker.

Maybe make Dsmash stronger in compensation?

Also Uair doesn't connect all of the hits properly in game, it seems.
Bair doesn't have any flinch hitboxes.
And I'm sure you know this already, but grabbing an opponent results in an auto-break.

Oh, also, that download link doesn't work.
Thanks for your feedback.
Saki is of course broken, this is a beta release.
The purpose of this release was for exactly this; feedback.
Specifically. feedback of the moveset.

When I programmed the moves in PSA I didn't take much time to adjust the damage, knockback, and range. As I will perfect this aspects when everything is finalized for the next release.

Grabs and throws are mentioned to not work.

Fixed the download.

Thanks again.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
...If you have the ThrowN working, you can get the throws and pummels working by checking the location of the ThrowN bone. It should never be on the ground during grabbing and catching animations. It should be close and up to chest level.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Oh common Tommo! they aren't even that bad :p
I did try fixing them but I wanted a beta release now.
I must have used the wrong term or something, because i'm pretty sure that being attacked from way across the stage is a serious problem that makes this unplayable.

Then I noticed that you said in your BrawlVault description that if that happens, reload the game, so I might try again in a bit.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Ohhh the hurtboxes?
Yeah I have no idea why that happens but it does go away.
No idea how to fix it.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It's the model's fault.
Also the model's fault that polygons stretch when Sonic uses homing attack on you or you get stickied by C4.
We need to find a way to get the unedited models working, but that may be a while.
With potential advancements in the module editor..... we may be closer to realizing that.

Rikami

Smash Apprentice
Not sure I follow.
But it's not a huge deal since reloading fixes it.

BurningCharizard

Smash Cadet
Dl'd and played with it, looking awesome :D Saki was one character I really wanted to be playable, you rock, Rikami!

A few things I noticed and some suggestions:

-Back air doesn't seem to be working, it makes the "zap" sound on impact but there's no damage or reaction.
-May want to adjust Saki so he's a little heavier, he still has Toon Link's lightness.
-For his B-moves, regular B could be the energy shots he fires, just adjust them so that he fires a salvo of two or three when you tap B, and if you hold B he fires, waits a second, fires again. Side B could be a chargeable dash like Ike's, but when Saki hits someone he skewers them and flings them up or back over his head. Down B could be an energy pulse that, when he's on the ground, he fires into the ground that spreads out to a certain radius around him and bursts up to waist height, and in the air he fires it straight down and when it hits it creates two pulses that go out from both sides (same radius). Up B could be similar to the Falcon Dive, but Saki plants his feet on the opponent's chest/stomach and kicks off of them, sending them on a more downward horizontal path (does the leap with his left arm held out, grabs, curls up and puts his feet on the opponent, springboards off with a twisting flip).

Hope it helps, really want to see Saki complete and kicking butt!

Da Generic Name

Smash Cadet
This character is quite epic.
The first move I used was the dash attack, completely a death move.
You have of course, noticed those things with the hitboxes, but I couldn't notice that when I played as him in the subspace emissary.
Yet I did notice it against the bosses.
Do you think you might make him faster? In the assist trophy, he was very fast.
You've probably noticed this, but the star ko sound effect is still Young link's.
And when holding a ray gun (or was it super scope?), his sword doesn't come out of his gun, yet it still has the range.
And you might want to change the cracker launcher stance....
And when you tilt the cracker launcher upwards, it just stays in place, but the rockets still go in that direction.

Have you played the smash fan game SSB Crusade?
They recently added Saki. If you need voices, they have them there. But I don't know how hard it is to code it into Brawl, because I can't hack. They're in .ogg format.
They also had cool ideas for specials, though you may need to get approval from them, or just take BurningCharizard's moveset or something else you make up. BC's was really good.
Side Special: He dashes forward with his sword, attacking multiple times. You can tilt to where you want to go, and if you hold it at the end he attacks with a slash for knockback.
Up Special: he rises in a directional path, attacking multiple times.
Down Special: He reflects an attack by spinning his sword.

I wish you good luck with this hack!

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
What happened to Rikami? Is anyone still working on the Saki over Toon Link? It just needs a couple things: Voice clips, gunshot for his b move, and his sword to be like the AT, everything else is fine?

Top Bottom