• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

S.L.Y.M.I. -Presented by The Game Gallery - August 31st, 2013 - Easton, PA

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you: Smash Like You Mean It!!

This will be a monthly or Bi-monthly event depending on turnout. However, with much request for a smash only event that includes teams, I will provide what is asked for. On top of teams, I have a new crews format that I will be testing out for the VERY FIRST TIME at this tournament!!! Come with your -A- Game because things will get SLYMI if you don't. Now if you can't figure it out...the acronym is pronounced as you would "Slimey".

List of setups, currently:
Confirmed
TVs- 7
Systems- 4
Copies of the Game- 4

Possible
TVs-
Systems- 1
Copies of the Game- 1

So here's some obligatory stuff.

315 Northampton St.
Easton, PA 18042
610-829-1133

Event Page:https://www.facebook.com/events/550047488402444/

What do we need?
Pretty obvious...setups. and of course...you!! Feel free to invite friends, and let's make this event a big one!!!

Stream: TBA

What games are being played?
This is a total Melee Event. (Possibly a Project: M setup, if we have one to spare) So we're going teams, singles, and a new way of doing crews which should make for something VERY fun and interesting.

What about a schedule?
Good question. I'll have a schedule up as the time gets closer.

Costs:
$10- singles
$10 per team
$0 for crews
==========================================================
Format:
Double Elimination for each game. 2/3 for all matches. Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals are 3/5
-Stocks 4
-Pausing is not allowed. If you pause it will result in a loss of a stock.
-I WILL DQ you if you aren't there for your match. If you don't let me know what's going on, I can't help you. I can't and absolutely WON'T hold things up for you. I don't care WHO you are. It won't be total DQ, but you'll be sent to losers.

Special rules on coaching:
People tend to have a stigma about coaching. To coach DURING a match is NOT allowed. You CAN do it BETWEEN matches. You have a full minute to give yourself to breathe and focus if you need it. Take advantage of it.

After a Match:
The order is: Loser chooses stage, winner changes character, loser changes character.

DSR: So we're clear. You cannot play twice on the same stage you won on. This is, unless agreed upon by both players. If you want to go back to the same stage you played upon...that's you. That means: If you lose on FD, and want to go back to FD...that's on you, buddy. It's YOUR funeral. However, if you beat your opponent, are on game 3 or higher, and (s)he won on FD, you have the right to deny him/her going back there.

For this tournament...I actually don't give two craps about wobbling. If you want to wobble, it's legal. The other stuff, however....(Soul stunner, freezie, etc.) don't think about it.

Stalling using Jigglypuff's rising pound, Peach's Wallbomber, etc. is not allowed. Please don't lame it up with excessive planking, either. Just common courtesy to players.

What about crew format?

This will be discussed AT THE TOURNAMENT. This gives people an even ground on everything. This format is mine, and I would prefer that I be the first to test it out.

==========================================================

If you have any questions: Feel free to message me, email me, or post on the event page or here.
My email: theory_of_imagination@hotmail.com

If you would like to help TO this event, please email me, or message me via facebook. If you message The Game Gallery's page, I'll receive the message. If you have my Facebook, then just message me that way. OR you can contact me via Twitter @Chostylish.

Happy Gaming!!

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
A bit ways away but no farther than the North Jersey stuff from me. Maybe go every once and awhile but I think Bring Back Philly is still a winner for me.

Regardless, hope the turnout is good for ya'll.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well, I mean...this thing is two weeks away from BBP. (Kind of glad that weekend the PPL wanted the 17th as opposed to the 31st.) I did try to make sure that it didn't conflict with another tournament. I don't want to compete with other scenes in the area, especially ones trying to revive, but I also need to build this one up.

The owner is pretty supportive of tournaments in general. Especially since he's a competitive player, himself.

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty sick, always good to see a high T.O. cooperative standard around here. Also, conflicting dates isn't the problem for me, it is just that I don't own/use my own car so I have to pick and choose which tourneys I go to. If I don't carpool or if the tourneys aren't considerably large, I'll most likely default to which is closest.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Spread the word, though. I'm looking for this to be a good decent size. Just so everyone knows, we have 6 TVs already. I'll update the OP with stuff, soon.

I'll also be talking with other members that are coming, so we can get an accurate projection of setups and such.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
I am hoping to come to this, I'm not sure yet if I will be able to.

How many more setups are you looking for (I ask because the last tournament I brought TVs already had enough and didn't have the space to fir them)

I don't see the venue fee listed anywhere in the description. Is there no venue fee?

Edit: Oh yea, I want to ask about payouts. Can we do 50/25/15/10 instead of the more common 60/30/10?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Okay....I will consider the payout change if we break a certain number. As far as TVs and such are concerned, I've got the OP updated with what our current count is. I'll be talking to the owner about another table or two as well. I'm sure he won't have a problem if I let him know the projected numbers for this. The store is actually under different ownership since last time. His ultimate goal is for there to be a stream, and a projector set up for big matches.

Edit: Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, I was out from about 9am to after midnight.

Edit 2: My 2000th post. Wow.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm definitely going to be in NY this weekend, so I won't be able to make it. The only tourney i'll be able to stop by is no johns for a little while since it is a couple miles away. Still I hope this gets a great turnout and your crews works out! People post if you are coming to this!

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
We had a decent turnout, though. The first one, we had almost as many as No Johns. That weekend saw 4 or 5 different tournaments, so attendance was a bit sparse with bigger names. I'm not that big, yet, but honestly, there's a problem with people not showing because they think there might not be anyone. Just show up. You'd be surprised how many tournaments would have happened bigger and/or better if people just showed up.

Actually, bro...you missed a LOT of good tournaments. 3 at least with Copycat in attendance. One that had Chain-Ace and Stric, 2 with Rutgers in full force, some others with smashers from other parts of PA, and so on. This is all with me being sparse in my own personal attendance for the past 4 - 5 months or so. Game Gallery saw some great tournaments this year that could have been better. Since I started hosting last year around this time, I've run about 15 Melee tournaments, and a bunch for Marvel, Injustice, Street Fighter, and Persona.

95% of Game Gallery's tournaments would see 20+ attendance if people just showed like normal. The past few events have been nothing but hype, however. We've also streamed. You based it off of one or two incidents where a bunch of people decided to go to a tournament that was thrown together well AFTER I had the date. There are measures being taken by the TOs to avoid this kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, the first S.L.Y.M.I. would have seen over 30 if Easton, the other crew from PA, Cactuar, and the small group from Washington, NJ showed. I was missing quite a few people that wanted to come, but had last minute life stuff that popped up. Others wanted to come, but their ride decided to go to the other "bigger name" tournaments that had the date after I did. *shrugs* I can't control that, but I run a good tournament, and venue is practically nothing. Equipment is improving, and heck, with the change in ownership, we've got even more support that we've had from the store. These tournaments are only going to get better.

P.S. - The average tournament sees about 16 people for GG, which isn't bad considering Easton is essentially an unknown scene. We pull from Stroudsburg, nearby Jersey, and now, Rutgers and Central Jersey. We're getting there, slowly.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
If someone asks me to come to the next one, I'll schedule the weekend. No one mentioned these to me so I've never even thought about it.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I'll keep that in mind, then. Something tells me the next one won't be until December. Scheduling this around Pound, RoM, and with NEC at the beginning of December, it's gonna be a pain. Which also means the next two should be fairly close to each other since most people that came have asked me to do one right before APEX.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I can understand that. I go to NEC for multiple reasons. It's just that one of those can be Smash as well. I play Persona, now Chaos Code, and I used to play Marvel/AE. This year it's probably going to wind up being 3S. I may do AE teams if my friend (The venue owner) needs a teammate.

Top Bottom