• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's Effect on Future DLC Characters

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Now, when I refer to "Ryu's Effect on Future DLC Characters", I don't mean which game or company characters come from, I'm referring to gameplay and mechanics.

Looking at how Ryu is played, having access to inputs, having two versions of his jab, tilts, final smash, and three of his specials, and being able to dash-cancel his down special, I think it is safe to say that Ryu has one of the most complex and unique gameplay styles in Smash.

This is what makes me wonder, where will the team go from there?
Will they continue to use a similar formula like they've done for most of the character or will they try to push for more unique or complex characters?
What do you all think?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
With Ryu, that opens the door for more third party reps from one company. Since Capcom has both Mega Man and Ryu, I'd imagine SEGA and Namco could have another rep. While I would love that, I would prefer more third party companies like Ubisoft to include Rayman in Smash 4. That would be amazing. :)

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think they'll push for complex characters when necessary, take characters like Ryu or Robin, they have complex gimmicks but those come directly from their games.

In the end it's all about properly representing them

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
Despite the ironic clones, Sakurai tries really hard to make a character unique, so lots of characters get a special "Gimmick", like Little Mac's KO punch, Ice Climber's 2nd Climber (Nana, I guess), Pichu's recoil (not exactly a good thing), and Robin's tomes and swords. It seems Ryu's specialty is his combos, and I have a hunch that he'll be the only one with this. He represents what is potentially the most popular fighting game, and so Sakurai decided to try to make him FEEL like a Street Fighter character. We may get other interesting qualities, but I think the button combos and light and heavy attacks will be Ryu exclusive.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For lack of a better term, this control scheme is Ryu's "gimmick". New characters aren't going to suddenly start having light and heavy attack options with the same button or alternate fighting game controls, but sure, some will definitely still have their own gimmicks. If Ryu's formula seems more complex than others it's because they're honoring the fact that the method of fighting in his game is more complex.

The Smash 4 newcomers have had a wealth of gimmicks, but they've all been relatively unique for each character. This is just Ryu's take on that.

D

Deleted member

For lack of a better term, this control scheme is Ryu's "gimmick". New characters aren't going to suddenly start having light and heavy attack options with the same button or alternate fighting game controls, but sure, some will definitely still have their own gimmicks. If Ryu's formula seems more complex than others it's because they're honoring the fact that the method of fighting in his game is more complex.

The Smash 4 newcomers have had a wealth of gimmicks, but they've all been relatively unique for each character. This is just Ryu's take on that.
Ryu is the :4mario: of his series so i didnt see it coming at all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The first 2 not so much, if you told me that :4wiifit: & :4villager: were gonna be in smash I'd probably imagine them working the way they do with yoga poses and random items
Okay.
A little granted there.
But not many people saw Villager happening in Smash after Sakurai's brawl interview
And god knows who expected WFT.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This. Ryu controls like a traditional fighting game character and that's pretty much the point. It's a homage of his source games and I seriously doubt this sort of system would be implemented into the rest of the cast. Ryu has a high learning curve because of this so I feel that it would greatly take away the simplicity and appeal the Smash Bros games have if every character was adapted to function like him.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman

It's not so much about the light and heavy mechanic but more about the complexity it gives to him.
I'm just worried that his "gimmick" will make future DLC characters look a little more lackluster. >A>()

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not so much about the light and heavy mechanic but more about the complexity it gives to him.
I'm just worried that his "gimmick" will make future DLC characters look a little more lackluster. >A>()
People usually glom onto who a characters is more than what they do, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

It's not like when Zelda was added (who was basically two characters) it made all the other ones look lackluster in comparison.

Yea but

You realize palutena became more exspected than mario in smash 4
I think the point was people didn't see her working they way she ended up working, not the fact that she was simply expected as an inclusion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
People usually glom onto who a characters is more than what they do, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

It's not like when Zelda was added (who was basically two characters) it made all the other ones look lackluster in comparison.

I think the point was people didn't see her working they way she ended up working, not the fact that she was simply expected as an inclusion.
Ok

Well ryu only shows a possible another namco and sega character thats it.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Before I move on, let's remember that the first technical complex combo move is Marth's side special, which debuted in Melee.

I remember pointing out in the Bayonetta thread that it now opens doors to more complex combo systems, albeit has to be used when appropriate.

In Bayonetta series, you control a playable witch that can do up to 5 attacks in any order, with kick or punch, along with other "secondary" mechanics including transformation, air, dodge, jump, and movement.

If Bayonetta was going to be in smash and decide to make the character play close to cannon, then it would have to be reduced to 3 standard-type attack combos, not including specials, dodges, or other mechanics, depending on her state:

Each subsequent attack move in the combo system would be gradually stronger and slower.

On the ground, Bayonetta can do 3 combo using up, side, or down.
In the air, Bayonetta can do 3 combo using up, forward, and backward.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Before I move on, let's remember that the first technical complex combo move is Marth's side special, which debuted in Melee.

I remember pointing out in the Bayonetta thread that it now opens doors to more complex combo systems, albeit has to be used when appropriate.

In Bayonetta series, you control a playable witch that can do up to 5 attacks in any order, with kick or punch, along with other "secondary" mechanics including transformation, air, dodge, jump, and movement.

If Bayonetta was going to be in smash and decide to make the character play close to cannon, then it would have to be reduced to 3 standard-type attack combos, not including specials, dodges, or other mechanics, depending on her state:

Each subsequent attack move in the combo system would be gradually stronger and slower.

On the ground, Bayonetta can do 3 combo using up, side, or down.
In the air, Bayonetta can do 3 combo using up, forward, and backward.
This thread is neutral ground, please don't use it to advertise (even though Bayonetta was one of the first characters I placed a ballot for).

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
This thread is neutral ground, please don't use it to advertise (even though Bayonetta was one of the first characters I placed a ballot for).
Thanks, and I intended the reply to focus on one example on how complex moves can be achieved within template for certain characters.

Example involving complexity: Bayonetta's directional attacks will have three variants, each based on input combo.

I am certainly open for that idea, but it depends on the characters chosen.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
OK, this is neutral ground; but about what you say, is there a thread which talks on what you mention? Of the whole thing I keep hearing is one vote per IP, so I wonder if it is OK to go to different wifi spots and vote with our devices there. But recently my cable company seemes to have renamed my modem and not sure if this means I have a brand new IP so I can bote again at home?

Kasumi for Master Race! That is all.
Which Kasumi? DOA´s Kasumi? I sort of lookded for Ayane for Smash lol.

OK about this thread, could there be any chance to convince Nintendo and Capcom to let Ken be an alternate skin in the same way Olimar and the WFT trainers are? But I guess it would be expensive to bring Ken's voice actor to give the difference.

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
OK, this is neutral ground; but about what you say, is there a thread which talks on what you mention? Of the whole thing I keep hearing is one vote per IP, so I wonder if it is OK to go to different wifi spots and vote with our devices there. But recently my cable company seemes to have renamed my modem and not sure if this means I have a brand new IP so I can bote again at home?
Regardless of what CAN be done, in my opinion it's rather dishonorable to go around coting multiple times. It specified on the ballot that they would prefer one vote per person, so I try to respect that. Not sure about you guys, but I would like my character of choice (Isaac, of course) to get voted fair and square. People say it's wasting a vote to go for someone who isn't popular, but it' sonly a waste of everyone thinks that. But, I've gotten off track.

Honestly, I don't think Ryu changes anything. He's got his unique style, but there are already plenty of characters before with their unique touch too. In Smash 64, it was considered a unique trait to have multiple jumps, then in Melee, Counters and swappable characters, tipping and hilting, and many other gimmicks were introduced. Brawl brought upon even more, like the qualities of different Pikmin. Now, three games later, and multi-jumping is just another common quality, and we now have cool new traits like Ryu's aforementioned inputs, Robin's tomes and swords, Little Mac's KO meter, and so much more. Clearly, Ryu's new style of fighting was added to pay homage to Street Fighter, and it helps further expand the unique roster. Now it's becoming more and more rare for a character not to have their own unique mechanic of some sort. Smash is evolving, and that's how I think Ryu is coming about.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
@ S SSBCandidates & @ udime123 udime123

I don't cast multiple ballots for one character, I cast one ballot for multiple characters.
We have yet to actually what happens if the same IP castes multiple ballots but I don't think they would ban IPs or replace ballots considering there can be more then one Smash fan living in the same residents, using the same IP.
Plus, it's a suggestions ballot, not a vote. They're considering character suggestions, not the popular vote (I'm sure popularity does play a small role though).

WanderingChozo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6099-0390
Ryu pretty much means that having a game being developed on a rival console doesn't matter. So I see no reason why Snake or any other third party character can't be in. It seems like all that matters for third party at this point is iconic status.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
As far as I can tell, Ryu isn't any more complicated than some of the other characters we have. Where he has multiple versions of his tilts, Olimar's attacks changed depending on the Pikmin he uses, Rosalina has a Luma familiar she can direct around, Robin's tomes and Levin Sword wear out and force him to go a short time without them, et cetera.

As far as characters themselves go, I don't actually know what this means for other third party characters. This could mean it was actually easier to go through all the complications involving a third party than previously thought...or Ryu could just be a special case. For all we know, he may have been considered back when the roster was first decided on! Until we have more information, we just don't know.

There are some things we can take from this, though. I heard some talk a while back that they might stick with simpler characters for DLC since they'd be easier to make, but I feel Ryu proves they're still willing to go all out. Plus, the fact that Roy takes some animations straight from FE6 and Ryu is one big love letter to Street Fighter II means they're willing to draw more inspiration from past games than recent ones if it means they can do more with the character.

Burruni

Smash Hero
There are some things we can take from this, though. I heard some talk a while back that they might stick with simpler characters for DLC since they'd be easier to make, but I feel Ryu proves they're still willing to go all out. Plus, the fact that Roy takes some animations straight from FE6 and Ryu is one big love letter to Street Fighter II means they're willing to draw more inspiration from past games than recent ones if it means they can do more with the character.

GG no RE.

Last edited:

WanderingChozo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6099-0390

GG no RE.
Those are from three different games aren't they? They can pick moves from each different game, but he can't have a gun, jetpack thing and whatever else he does over the series of 3 games can he? I feel that it would look a bit odd. If K Rool is in, it's probably gonna be his first appearance. As for alts of these, while they would be interesting, most alts are just recolors. The Koopalings and Alph are the only big difference in alts that I can think of. I guess Little Mac counts.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Those are from three different games aren't they? They can pick moves from each different game, but he can't have a gun, jetpack thing and whatever else he does over the series of 3 games can he? I feel that it would look a bit odd. If K Rool is in, it's probably gonna be his first appearance. As for alts of these, while they would be interesting, most alts are just recolors. The Koopalings and Alph are the only big difference in alts that I can think of. I guess Little Mac counts.
Yes. He can have them all.
Him pulling out his blunderbuss or helipac for specific attacks or specials wouldn't be any more "out there' than :4link::4tlink:'s bow boomerangs or bombs, :4duckhunt:'s can, frisbee, and gunmen,:4pit::4darkpit:'s upperdash/electroshock arm, :4diddy:'s gun and rocket barrels, :4dedede:'s gordos, :4pacman:'s fire hydrant, :4wario2:'s Bike, :4yoshi:'s eggs, :4peach:'s toad, :4kirby:'s sword and hammer, most of :4gaw:,:4villager:, or :4bowserjr:'s movesets.
With a character who has had such a diverse arsenal across his titles, it'd be unfitting not to encompass a motley selection in a moveset, no?

Last edited:

WanderingChozo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6099-0390
Yes. He can have them all.
Him pulling out his blunderbuss or helipac for specific attacks or specials wouldn't be any more "out there' than :4link::4tlink:'s bow boomerangs or bombs, :4duckhunt:'s can, frisbee, and gunmen,:4pit::4darkpit:'s upperdash/electroshock arm, :4diddy:'s gun and rocket barrels, :4dedede:'s gordos, :4pacman:'s fire hydrant, :4wario2:'s Bike, :4yoshi:'s eggs, :4peach:'s toad, :4kirby:'s sword and hammer, most of :4gaw:,:4villager:, or :4bowserjr:'s movesets.
With a character who has had such a diverse arsenal across his titles, it'd be unfitting not to encompass a motley selection in a moveset, no?
Oh yeah. I sorta forgot every character has access to hammer space. Smash Bros makes no sense and I love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom