• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: The Nintendo Switch Could Have Melee VC and "Smash for Switch"

Tom Phillips from Eurogamer recently came out and said he was told that Melee would be coming out for the VC on the Nintendo Switch, along with some other titles. Rumors about Smash for Switch have also appeared. We talk about them below.

Authors Note: I'm reposting this rumor from Source Gaming, a publication run by yours truly. Please note that this is still a rumor, and nothing is 100% confirmed.

Rumor 1:
We’ve heard Melee is coming to the Switch, via Virtual Console. The service is apparently being organized by NERD, who impressed Nintendo with their work on the Famicom/NES Mini. The VC release would be ‘aimed at the competitive market’.

Good Points: We have good reason to believe NERD is in fact working on the Virtual Console for the Switch (multiple, independent sources). Melee is something the community has been requesting for many years.

Bad Points: GC VC requires analog triggers. We’ve heard from some developers that the Switch HAS analog triggers. However, some have told us that there ISN’T. Since we feel this is a major part of the rumor, we are not comfortable saying that Melee VC is coming 100%. One possible way around this is by enabling the GameCube adapter port with the Switch.[/quote]

Rumor 2:
We’ve heard that “Smash for Switch” (name not final) is a combination of 3DS and Wii U content, a ‘director’s cut’. The game will feature some new content including 2 new characters. We haven’t been able to confirm WHAT characters. We’ve heard that this version will include all the DLC.

Good Points: The source behind this information is incredibly solid, and has broken a lot of rumors in the past to us. Unfortunately, you will have to take our word for it, as we haven’t been publishing them (sorry, we don’t usually post rumors). However, sometimes just having a solid source isn’t enough.

Bad Points: Two characters is pretty low. Personally, we think more characters are coming…at least 5. Also some of the content for the 3DS was made using borrowed assets, and remaking it for the Switch would require additional effort by the team. We also think the porting process has been going on for awhile now, which makes 2 characters seem very low. As we saw in 1.1.6, there is some evidence that could suggest the porting process has started a long time ago.
________​

For more information about rumor reporting, check out our SourceCast on the topic.

Check out our YouTube playlist on a theoretical “Smash for Switch” to get caught up. In particular, the podcast is very relevant.​

Make sure to follow Source Gaming on Twitter, and me!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Let's say there is a Switch port.

So what happens when they balance the game and tweak the characters?(ex: buff Jigglypuff)

Would the Wii U+3DS editions keep the pre-switch-change patch forever?

Let's say there is a Switch port.

So what happens when they balance the game and tweak the characters?(ex: buff Jigglypuff)

Would the Wii U+3DS editions keep the pre-switch-change patch forever?
I can imagine they'd probably keep the already existing characters the same. If not I could see an update for the wii u and 3ds. If not then the wii u and 3ds version would become invalid for tournaments which would be highly unfortunate. But even further than that if they add characters on the switch port then they'd also have to put them on the wii u and 3ds else they'd lose tournament viability even further.

Everything is probably going to stay the same. When virtual console gets released nintendo really almost never alters it unless its like a remake. Also one thing thats kinda not necessary to say, but technically the switch is getting 3 smash bros since 64 will be a thing of course.

"I've never really felt like Pac-Man really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Duck Hunt really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like F-Zero really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Ice Climbers really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Street Fighter really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Punch-Out really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Star Fox really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Dr. Mario really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

Like what even was that post? Try playing some of the N64 Bomberman games.
This is the problem I have with this site's double-post policy.

Certain posts are designed to be presented in a certain way to bring out specific responses... Had you gotten your [response], this post would've gotten a massive amount of likes, however, due to the single-post system in place, it soiled the presentation and now you only have one like.

This was a perfect comeback, but ultimately succumbed to the all-consuming void that comes with merging two separate beings into one body

Last edited:
Top Bottom