• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ruler of Mechonis - Egil for Smash 4 DLC! (Xenoblade Chronicles spoilers inside)

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
"I'll show you the meaning of wrath!"

Who is Egil?
Hailing from the world of Xenoblade Chronicles, Egil is the self-proclaimed leader of Mechonis, creator of the Faced Mechon, and one of the major antagonists of the game. Egil belongs to the Machina race: beings born from Mechonis.
When Egil is confronted by Shulk and the gang, he reveals that he was fighting the Bionis in order to keep both the Bionis and Mechonis safe from the ambitions of the Bionis' God, Zanza. Ultimately, Egil gives his life fighting Zanza so that the main heroes can safely escape Mechonis. By the game's end, Egil is remembered as a tragic hero.

Why should Egil be in Smash Bros?
Compared to the other characters in Xenoblade Chronicles, Egil has much going for him. Without even considering moveset potential, Egil is immediately set apart from the rest of the Smash roster due to his unique appearance alone. Egil would also be another villainous character, something that Smash is lacking in. Once moveset possibilities are taken into consideration, Egil's potential becomes even greater, as he has access to several unique abilities like homing missiles and Mechon summons that he could use in combat, as well as offensive and defensive auras. Additionally, it is not much of a stretch to say that Egil could use the abilities of the Faced Mechon as well, seeing as how he is their creator.

As far as Egil's relevance, his role in Xenoblade is absolutely essential to the game's overarching plot. For Egil's relevance to Nintendo in general, the original Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii was very popular in Japan, and heavily requested by fans to come to the rest of the world (see Operation Rainfall). When it did, it was released to critical acclaim. The Xenoblade series has seen much more exposure lately due to Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4, the re-releases of Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS and Wii U (as a Wii download title in Europe), and the buzz surrounding the upcoming release of Xenoblade Chronicles X. The Xenoblade series is at the height of its popularity, so now is the perfect time to get a second Xenoblade character into Smash.

How good are Egil's chances?
Honestly, I don't think Egil's chances are all that great. Like I said, Xenoblade is relatively popular right now, but it is still a pretty niche series. Getting Shulk in Smash Bros. was a miracle in and of itself. Getting a second character? Unlikely at best. Additionally, Egil himself is somewhat of a spoiler. Not really because of his role in the game, but because he is a Machina, whose existence is supposed to be a surprising reveal in Xenoblade Chronicles. On the other hand, nearly every secret of the Faced Mechon is blatantly spoiled in Smash 4 through trophies, so this probably wouldn't be an issue for Sakurai.

On the positive side, Japan does love this series, and Sakurai loves Japan, so maybe he'd be willing to take a chance on a second Xenoblade representative. All it would take would be enough vocal online support or ballot votes to convince him that Egil is wanted and worthy. Also, Egil could easily fulfill Sakurai's criteria for a playable Smash Bros. character. Let's take a look.
1. The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
  • This is the most difficult criteria for Egil to fit. Anyone who has played Xenoblade would likely be interested in Smash Bros. if they knew that both Shulk and Egil were playable characters in it. Additionally, as a Machina, Egil's design is visually interesting. Anyone could look at Egil and think: "Man, that robot guy sure looks awesome." and then want to buy the game and play as him. I know I sure thought that when I first saw Egil.
2. The character must be unique.
  • As I have said before, Egil is already unique from every other character in Smash Bros. by virtue of his design alone. He also has tons of moveset potential, as I have said already. Chances are if you're reading this thread you already agree with me, but if you don't, scroll to the moveset idea section and take a look.
3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
  • As Xenoblade Chronicles is already a series represented in Smash Bros, this criteria is a nonissue.
4. The character must contribute to the game balance.
  • Again, this comes down to his moveset and gameplay. This is up to the game's designers really, but Egil definitely could contribute to the game's balance. See the moveset idea section, or play Xenoblade Chronicles yourself for a better understanding of how much Egil could bring to the table.

Movesets, playstyles, taunts, and other gameplay ideas
Playstyle and General character design:
Egil's playstyle and movements would reflect his high-and-mighty attitude. Many of his attacks and animations would show him treating his opponents as if they are nothing. I envision Egil would be a heavy character, but more mobile than most with a fast walk speed, high jumps, and a fast fall speed. His Ganondorf level run speed would be his only characteristically heavyweight attribute. Egil's heavy weight would disguise his multitude of unexpectedly fast swipes, punches, and kicks. However, Egil's fast normals would have low KO potential, and he would mostly rely on his powerful but laggy Smash attacks and Special Moves to deliver the killing blow.

Standard Moves:
TBA
Forward Smash:
  • Egil does a double swipe attack with Metal Face's claws.
Up Smash:
  • Egil charges and fires Jade Face's sniper at a roughly 70 or 80 degree angle.
Down Smash:
  • Egil slams Bronze Face's hammer on the ground, creating a small shockwave (similar to Robin's Levin down smash).

Special Moves:
Neutral: Homing Missiles
  • Egil locks on to an opponent in his field of vision (like Palutena's Autoreticle) and fires off four homing missiles that are faster and track better than Samus's missiles, but the move's endlag leaves Egil open to an easy counterattack if they miss.
Side: Vision Break
  • An original idea. Egil dashes forward with a powerful slash that has high knockback and above-average damage. If Egil hits a countering opponent with Vision Break, the counter will fail and Vision Break's damage and knockback will be increased.
Up: Grand Ether Bullet
  • Egil fires an Ether Bullet downward which propels him upward. The Ether Bullet can spike enemies hit by it, but only during the move's first few active frames.
Down: Manufacture Drone
  • Egil summons a small M97/EAGLE Mechon drone that wanders around the stage and slashes at opponents. As long as the drone is active, Egil takes less percent damage from enemy attacks (in true Xenoblade fashion), but the drone can only take a small amount of percent damage itself before it self-destructs. Alternately, the drone will self-destruct anyway after a short period of time.
Final Smash: Bionis Slash X
  • Egil cries out: "I shall rid the world of you bugs!" as a circle of light appears around Egil. If any enemies are inside the circle, a short cinematic plays. Egil jumps into Yaldabaoth, which is then equipped with its Mechonis Core armor. The camera pans back to reveal Yaldabaoth is inside of the Mechonis, which then performs a mighty sword slash, KOing all enemies that were within the circle. If no enemies are within the circle, nothing happens.

Taunts:
TBA

On-screen appearance:
  • Egil crashes down onto the stage and slowly stands up as Yaldabaoth flies off into the background.

Victory poses:
  • From within Yaldabaoth, Egil shouts: "Only a God can stop me now!"
  • Egil crosses his arms and tosses his head as he says: "Your convictions were lacking." If Egil does this pose when winning against Shulk, he says: "Your blade. It did not cut deep enough."
  • Egil calmly puts his fist to his heart and looks skyward as he says: "Lady Meyneth, your will is done."
Costume ideas
Egil's alternate costumes should ideally reflect his position as the leader of Mechonis and creator of the Faces. Therefore, his costumes should be based on the Faced Mechon and the deities of Mechonis.
  • default Egil
  • Metal Face colors (black and tan with a white face)
  • Bronze Face colors (bronze and tan)
  • Face Nemesis colors (silver)
  • Yaldabaoth colors (gold with red highlights)
  • Jade Face colors (green and tan)
  • Mechonis colors (rusty black)
  • Lady Meyneth colors (gunmetal with pink and blue highlights)

Stage and Music ideas
Meyneth Shrine
A Battlefield-esque stage. The circular platform in the center serves as the main part of the stage. Occasionally, three small platforms would phase in and out of predetermined spots above the central platform. Their movements are similar to the movements of the platforms in Melee's Fountain of Dreams, but in this case the platforms teleport rather than slowly move.
Tragic Decision
Imperial Capital Agniratha / Imperial Capital Agniratha (Night)
Unfinished Battle

Fulfill the wish of Lady Meyneth! Vote Egil for Smash DLC today!

Servants of Lady Meyneth (supporter list)
AgentHX
RegiGiygas117
Jaden

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Can you please edit the title to add a spoiler warning for Xenoblade? The fact that the Machina even exist is a huge spoiler in and of itself.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
Can you please edit the title to add a spoiler warning for Xenoblade? The fact that the Machina even exist is a huge spoiler in and of itself.
Yeah I had a feeling I should have done that. Done and done.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hell yes I support. Easily one of my favourites in Xenoblade behind Shulk, Seven and Metal Face.

I also recommend Unfinished Battle be added. It's a crime that it's not on Gaur Plain.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I love the idea of him conveying his personality through his attacks. Quick, brutal moves that just scream "This isn't worth my time."

Sign me up.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
Tight! Unfinished Battle has been added to the music section. Dunno why I didn't think of that one, it's a gem. Thanks for your support, guys!

Top Bottom