• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Heh, well, there doesn't seem to be too many people on here that can solve it in under 30 seconds... but I am one of them!

I use the Fridrich method (like most people) and my record solve is 27 seconds... I have taken an average of 12 solves and got a time of 32 seconds, so I'm pretty consistently getting under 35 seconds.

I have also solved a 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. 4x4 are actually harder than 5x5's in my opinion, because the last layer requires a few more algorithms to solve on the 4x4. All you need to do with the 5x5 is get the center and the edges solved, and afterwards it is like solving the 3x3.

I love Rubik's Cubes...

Edit: If you look on the internet, you can actually find videos of people solving the Rubik's Cube in under ten seconds, and I can almost guarantee that they aren't memorizing them. In fact, in May, the world record was set to 9.86 seconds by Thibaut Jacquinot, and the world record cannot be set unless they are set at a tournament... so there you go.

psicicle

Smash Ace
actually, the method I've devised for the 4x4x4 is to turn it into a 3x3x3, but then you run into the problem in the picture above. I'm still trying to find an algorithm that will fix it.

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you're right, but those few algorithms you have to memorize make me believe that it is harder (I guess longer and more memorization) to solve. I hate coming across that parity, it sucks, even though the algorithm isn't that bad...

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
The record is around an average of 14 seconds over 10 tries.

The rubik's cube is not easy to solve quickly. There is some muscle memory required, but in a lot of respects it takes a great deal of experience. Memorization is only part of it, you have to be able to think extremely quickly.

I cheated on the 3x3x3... I followed the instructions, and memorized them. I can do it in around 2 mins or so. I'm working on the 4x4x4 without cheating, and so far I have solved it once by luck but I usually get into this:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z259/psicicle/Picture7.jpg
Heh hehh, there's an algorithm for that, but it's effing long. I know it, if you want me to tell you, I can try to notate it somehow.

psicicle

Smash Ace
nah, I'm going to figure it out!!! I think I'm somewhat close, but what I'm doing so far is re-orienting those edge parts and in the process, scrambling up the 3x3x3 and then resolving to see if it worked.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Heh, well, there doesn't seem to be too many people on here that can solve it in under 30 seconds... but I am one of them!

I use the Fridrich method (like most people) and my record solve is 27 seconds... I have taken an average of 12 solves and got a time of 32 seconds, so I'm pretty consistently getting under 35 seconds.

I have also solved a 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. 4x4 are actually harder than 5x5's in my opinion, because the last layer requires a few more algorithms to solve on the 4x4. All you need to do with the 5x5 is get the center and the edges solved, and afterwards it is like solving the 3x3.

I love Rubik's Cubes...

Edit: If you look on the internet, you can actually find videos of people solving the Rubik's Cube in under ten seconds, and I can almost guarantee that they aren't memorizing them. In fact, in May, the world record was set to 9.86 seconds Thibaut Jacquinot, and the world record cannot be set unless they are set at a tournament... so there you go.

Could you give me a link to the method? Im sure there are some sites that it explain it better than others

Handorin

Smash Hero
Im able to do the 3x3x3 alright. Ive never done it for speed so I dont really know how long it takes me other than around 2min of me going slow. I bought a 4x4x4 and me and my friend worked on it during school. That one is pretty hard. >_<

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Could you give me a link to the method? Im sure there are some sites that it explain it better than others
Well, I could give you a link that shows you a version of this method. There are thousands of different algorithms for F(irst) 2 L(ayers), O(rienting) L(ast) L(ayer), and P(ermuting) L(ast) L(ayer), but I'll give you a link that shows you most of the ones that I use.

www.cubefreak.net This link also shows you a method for solving the cube blindfolded! Solving the Rubik's Cube blindfolded is quite simple, it just takes time and patience...

7aeUn

Smash Cadet
hmm..well it doesnt seem like anybody has answered the topic creator's question yet so...

In order to lubricate your cube, first get some silicon spray this seems to work good:
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/30230/icn/20-692608/crc_chemicals/03040.htm

you take the cube apart so that you have all the corner and side pieces neatly arranged in some manner (leave out the center cubie, the thing that holds the whole thing together, dont spray it) and you spray each side of each corner/side piece (waiting 5-10 minutes for each side to dry before spraying again) and then after everything dries, you put it back together....

at first it may be slightly stiff, but once you solve it a couple of times it'll get smooth in no time

Leoneri

Smash Ace
When we ordered the cubes my sisters got the easy to turn ones and they dont ever use them, and wont let me use them >_>. Would any household items like soap make mine turn easier?

psicicle

Smash Ace
sometimes just using it for a while will help loosen it. I think soap would get kind of messy in you tried to use it.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I read on I guess what is Fridrich's personal site that soap is okay, but the fine dust that comes from using the cube is the best lubricant.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol. Well actually, I believe the record is 9.89 seconds.
Umm, I've been able to figure out how to do the F2L moves but my time hasn't really improved, but obviously it'll improve over time.
Also, I think i put too much silicine or whatever a week ago and of course its a lot slicker but its little sticky :S Is this normal?
btw, how much do 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 go for?

tjrook

Smash Cadet
Umm, I've been able to figure out how to do the F2L moves but my time hasn't really improved, but obviously it'll improve over time.
Also, I think i put too much silicine or whatever a week ago and of course its a lot slicker but its little sticky :S Is this normal?
Hmm... maybe you should check the record again, I just checked from multiple sources and all said 9.86.

About F2L, I think your time will greatly improve when you practice it more. My times were having the same problem, but I just stuck with it, and they drastically improved soon after.

If you cube is still sticky, it could just be because you haven't used it too much. It can also depend on the cube you have, for some reason there are some cubes that just work better than others, even if they are the same brand. I have lubricated multiple cubes, all of the same brand, and some work way better than others.

And about the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 prices, I am not sure. I, personally, have never bought one, they have only been given to me by friends/family.

psicicle

Smash Ace
check on amazon, I think they go for about 20 and 30 dolllars respectively.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I was thinking about getting a 4x4x4 cube. Still thinking about it, maybe after I get under a minute on my 3x3x3.

Beat my record i'm at 1:47 now. Stupid 7 step method >_>.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
...good for you.

Umm...i lubed the cube with the silicon spray about a month or so ago after watching a vid on youtube. My cube is nice when im quickly solving it but my cube seems sticky when I move a layer slightly. Did i add to little or too much of the spray?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you can solve any rubik's cube in 17 moves. proved using algorithms

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Just about anyone who can sit around and solve a rubiks cube has time on their hands.
You say that because a Rubik's cube is hard? Or that people who solve them have too much time on their hands? Well it's not too hard if you actually try looking at it intelligently, instead of turning at random, which I found out quickly. Also solving a Rubik's cube is a lot more productive than other hobbies that can be even more time consuming. I'm not trying to flame, just wondering what you meant when you said anyone who can solve it has time on their hands, because a large number of people can solve it in under 2 minutes, and I feel pretty bad for people who don't have 2 minutes of free time a day.

CrystalMidnight

Smash Cadet
both. me if I want to solve a cube it takes me a few days, not because it's but because I don't have that much time, like yea I can spend time on here for a while, but I'm not going to work on the cube when I'm typing ya know. Rubix cubes aren't hard.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I was just wondering if I am damaging my cube by putting water on it? I don't usually but all of a sudden it just got hard to turn, so I put some water on it and now it works great.

psicicle

Smash Ace
well the only metal inside a rubik's cube is the spring anyway so if there is damage it can't be too bad

WFL

Smash Journeyman
You say that because a Rubik's cube is hard? Or that people who solve them have too much time on their hands? Well it's not too hard if you actually try looking at it intelligently, instead of turning at random, which I found out quickly. Also solving a Rubik's cube is a lot more productive than other hobbies that can be even more time consuming. I'm not trying to flame, just wondering what you meant when you said anyone who can solve it has time on their hands, because a large number of people can solve it in under 2 minutes, and I feel pretty bad for people who don't have 2 minutes of free time a day.
Just as you said it really doesn't take that much time to figure out how to solve it using the packet that comes with the cube. It's also not that hard to remember the algorithms (I think there are only 8 or so). It took me about 2 hours to be able to solve it under 3 minutes with a messed up cube (I need to get some lubricant for it). And it also is a good hobby for taking up that 5-10 minutes where you don't have anything to do or something that you want to show-off to other people.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
k well ive used my cube a bit much, and the red-white edge piece is now white-white, and since my cube didn't turn very well in the first place I want to buy a new one. Is there a better quality company I should order from other than Rubiks?

Master_Pig

Smash Cadet
I don't have one, but all my friends do. I think they're neat little gadgets and I've only been able to solve a side at a time. :laugh: I know there's some trick to it but I don't wanna cheat and look it up on the internet to find out.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I don't have one, but all my friends do. I think they're neat little gadgets and I've only been able to solve a side at a time. :laugh: I know there's some trick to it but I don't wanna cheat and look it up on the internet to find out.
Not cheating if you plan to use it regularly for speedcubing, but just to have it solved I guess so.

k well ive used my cube a bit much, and the red-white edge piece is now white-white, and since my cube didn't turn very well in the first place I want to buy a new one. Is there a better quality company I should order from other than Rubiks?

WFL

Smash Journeyman

I sorta had to post this after I learned to solve 2x2x2 in a couple minutes. The only algorithm you have to know is FDF'D'R'D'R to switch the positioning of the second layer so you can fix the orientation with you learn doing a 3x3x3.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
*Starts whistling*
Bought one..
Solved it on several occasions but with help from online sources..
I solve it by layers..
I can only solve the first two layers, the edges and one corner.. Otherwise I need to look at an algorithm to solve it.

C-PO

Smash Apprentice
I solve my rubik's cube all the time. personal record is 2:53 s. i know people that use some kind of silicon spray to lube it.

flicker

Smash Journeyman
Average - is getting close to one side then eventually giving up.

Above Average - Solving 5 to 1 sides.

Good - Solving 6 sides slowly.

Very good - Solving 6 sides in 1 minute to 5.

Expert - Solving it in under a minute to 20 seconds.

Pro - Taking your Rubix Cube to school and trying to recall the algoritm instead of eating during lunch. Solves under 20 seconds.

Yeah it's a load of bs. I got bored :p

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah. I started doing it during it during my freetime at school and then everyone started doing it.

Top Bottom