• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RTACC

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Been holding off on threads and junk because I think without video example guides tend feel a little dry, but I wanted some type of documentation on this because it's pretty amazing and I'm hoping we can crack some of the silly things I've done with this.

So, what is RTACC?

Rtacc is an abbreviation for Run Turn Around Crawl/Crouch Cancel. We don't need three C's right?
You'll recognize the first 4 letters from the Run Turnaround Cancel.

Which is pretty notable in that it lets WFT approach or retreat without giving up her neutral options letting her do things like approaching reverse shield, sliding uptilt, or a boosted dtilt to name a few things.

However there's another application that while not completely exclusive to WFT benefits her more than any of the few characters that can use it. That is the RTACC.

Ok sounds cool, how do I shot web do it?
It's pretty simple at it's base but there's a lot to be explored and a lot I haven't mastered that I'm hoping the community can help shed some light on.

Simply perform a rtac and crawl or crouch as the name implies.

Code:
1. run in one direction
2. turn around
3. crawl/crouch
Like I said simple. Now here's where things get interesting. When performed running right to left, you are limited to just the crouch portion of this technique. This lets you extend your neutral state even further than the Rtac would by sliding along the ground. You can still crawl but nothing really notable happens.

However when moving left to right, similar to the tech @ Nixul_rz Nixul_rz describes in Reverse Dacus wii fit trainer, your momentum carries over into your crawl letting you retreat or approach in neutral with a sliding effect very similar to Melee's wavedash.
For clarity's sake here are the steps:
Code:
1. run to the left
2. turn around
3. crawl in the direction you want to go
4. Enter any state that isn't crawling or crouching (including dtilt and dsmash) for a significant boost
Not sure when I'll be able to get videos up, so if you have a capture card or decent video camera, feel free to post a video to help people more suited to visual learning.

Have fun~

Just the ability to retreat on the approach and bait out attacks and grabs without giving up the ability to shield, jab or anything else is already great imo but there's so much potential in this I am dead serious when I say it's the best thing since 1.03 reverse fair.

The boost you get can carry over multiple times with crawl alternation letting you traverse the stage at speeds rivaling Sonic and Captain Falcon and because you are still in neutral you can use things like utilt and jab to pass through characters or shields without much worry of being punished.

The left to right thing might seem a little limiting at first but because you can use it in reverse it's not that big of a deal. Going in reverse has in fact produced the fastest and longest slide I was able to produce, going the entire length of FD. This most likely has something to do with the forwards crawl Nixul mentioned in the r-dacus thread, because I noted that she had turned around while sliding without mid-slide input to do so.

The speed change from crawling/crouching to rtacc is pretty jarring but thanks to being in neutral it can be canceled into a dash or another rtac. A few of WFT's normals also seem to halt her momentum so it'll never be something out of our control.

The most threatening thing I've done so far and most likely thing to get this patched(if it doesn't make the list just for being interesting) seems to be some sort of hitbox stacking. Sometimes when doing this the sound for the crawl gets super loud and carries over to your slide or walk, during this time hitboxes from normals seem to hit multiple times and I managed to kill Sonic with an Fsmash near edge of omega battlefield...at 20% his end percent before he hit the blast zone was 138%. Not sure how to recreate it yet, but with the possibility there it'll be fun to find out.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Omg i have so much thing to learn in this game and not enough time to do it, it's killing me.

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
The boost you get can carry over multiple times with crawl alternation letting you traverse the stage at speeds rivaling Sonic and Captain Falcon and because you are still in neutral you can use things like utilt and jab to pass through characters or shields without much worry of being punished.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate a bit?

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Think about it like this.

To wavedash in Melee you need to jump and then air dodge at an angle into the stage so that you slide. In order to keep moving forward at a similar speed or change direction, you need to keep inputting those actions[ jump > airdodge into the stage at an angle ].

In smash 4 WFTs Rtacc takes considerably more start inputs before she can do something similar as she has to run to the left, turn around, crawl in the direction she wants and then return upright so that she can slide. However, because the momentum gets carried over from crawling and the boost itself is huge, in order to keep moving forward at a similar speed or change direction, all she needs to do is [ crawl in the direction she wants and then return upright ].

The boost itself can be huge and doesn't disappear during certain animations. You know how if you if you use a dash attack with certain characters you'll cross your opponent up even if they shield it? Rtacc does this too with every move that doesn't cancel the boost. This give her a fair number of burst options that aren't telegraphed, have much less recovery, and can cross the opponent up if you want.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
This almost broke my thumb, but I think I have most of it. I've gotten the RTAC part, and I've managed to sliding crouch to attack as well, but I haven't gotten the second boost from crawling and standing up yet.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Haha, it gets easier. I've got tap jump off so I use a motion of :GCDR:,:GCUR:,:GCDR:,:GCUR:, to get multiple forward boosts. Mainly because I want to keep access to roll canceled grabs and the speed difference between running out of a boost and walking is hardly noticeable.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
If you could get a video, even a decent phone quality video of you doing this, that would be amazing.

Nixul_rz

Smash Rookie
One other thing, this technique is applicable only to steps not have a surface like mario galaxy, grass prevents the sliding crouch a bit like rtacc, like that of kirby which has half grass.

Competitively can be made in all tournaments, battlefield, Final destination, Smashville town and city and lylat. all applicable.

Greetings.

Last edited:

Nixul_rz

Smash Rookie
sorry, confused about the post with sliding crouch cancel, what I meant my comment refers to slip through the side B with jump cancel.

concerning the RTACC's a strange technique that can be applied in my case I prefer to use the sliding crouch, crouch and sliding cancel. "reverse dacus"

Now recently discovered the sliding crouch forward. which can make a jab, grab, uptilit, B and upsmash. by animation neutral position after the SCF. this makes even more scroll distance to fall. when videotape was the'll share.

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
Well, I'm definitely gonna have to master this. I can do it semi-consistently backwards, but barely forwards -_-

verbatim

Smash Ace
Has anyone been able to do this with the pro controller, or do you need a gamecube one? I spent a decent amount of time in training mode at speed .25 with no success.

Alternatively if someone could confirm that this still exists in 1.08 that'd be cool to.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Has anyone been able to do this with the pro controller, or do you need a gamecube one? I spent a decent amount of time in training mode at speed .25 with no success.

Alternatively if someone could confirm that this still exists in 1.08 that'd be cool to.
You can do it on any controller, it's just difficult in my opinion. Yes it is still a thing.

Lord_Espurr

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wheresthetoilet
3DS FC
5129-1941-8904
The most threatening thing I've done so far and most likely thing to get this patched(if it doesn't make the list just for being interesting) seems to be some sort of hitbox stacking. Sometimes when doing this the sound for the crawl gets super loud and carries over to your slide or walk, during this time hitboxes from normals seem to hit multiple times and I managed to kill Sonic with an Fsmash near edge of omega battlefield...at 20% his end percent before he hit the blast zone was 138%. Not sure how to recreate it yet, but with the possibility there it'll be fun to find out
So how common is this? I've been trying to get it for a while now, but none of the slides seem louder than usual.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
So how common is this? I've been trying to get it for a while now, but none of the slides seem louder than usual.
Not common enough yet. I've only had this much difficulty with grounded wave bounces, but with both I've been using 3DS circle pad so things might improve with better controls.

I'm guessing it's something that'll have to be frame perfect or close to it. I can reproduce the large reverse slide well enough, but the one mentioned there is a lot harder to pull off. You'll know instantly when you pull it off as "super loud" might be an understatement as the sound of crawling is closer to footsteps and is barely audible with music on. When this happens there's a jarring sound like cans banging on a door.

With small system changes like the recent edge alterations and the roll canceled grab bits, we may have lost it somewhere along the way, but I don't think it's likely.

Top Bottom