• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, by the end of my rant I think I lost my point. And I agree, FE has grown tremendously since Brawl, which may in fact warrant another slot for them. I should think that three slots would be the absolute maximum for the series, and if anyone, Ike or another rep from Awakening are likely to fill that slot. Roy hasn't been relevant (even in his own series) since Sword of Seals, which is old; but not old enough to consider him a "classic" character. I just don't see a compelling argument for him to get in (barring DLC, but iirc Nintendo said no DLC, but I can't recall for certain.)
In regards to DLC, Sakurai stated that they aren't thinking about it right now. Which is obvious since the game itself is still in development. He didn't give a flat out no either, so we'll see.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
In regards to DLC, Sakurai stated that they aren't thinking about it right now. Which is obvious since the game itself is still in development. He didn't give a flat out no either, so we'll see.
Hey, if there is DLC, I'm all for it. Then you can be sure Roy has a chance.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Sprited myself a new avatar to support Roy.
But he has to come back as Dr. Roy! That would be the ultimate in self-parody.
He'd go next to Megaman on the select screen as a jab at Capcom for constantly reusing assets (Decapre).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well Roy fans, we only have four or five months left of waiting to find out if our boy Roy is going to make a triumphant return or not in Smash 4.

I originally planned to make a pretty ambitious support topic for Roy, but in the end, I simply never got around to doing it.

Even if Roy is not a part of the roster, keep in mind there is always the possibility of DLC.

Things are heating up quite a bit it seems. Even Mewtwo may have to fight to return if Pokemon is only locked in at five slots (which would be extremely dumb).

Lyn got confirmed as an Assist Trophy, but she was never going to get in over Ike, Roy, or a FE13 character. We have a stage based off of FE3 on Smash 4 Wii U, and a stage based off of FE13 on Smash 4 3DS. A trophy of FE13 Tiki/Chiki has also been confirmed.

This is now simply a waiting game. Olimar, Lucario, and Sheik (as a stand alone character) is good news for our boy, but at the same time characters such as Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut raises a lot of concern.

We will see what happens.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Sprited myself a new avatar to support Roy.
But he has to come back as Dr. Roy! That would be the ultimate in self-parody.
He'd go next to Megaman on the select screen as a jab at Capcom for constantly reusing assets (Decapre).
It would clearly have to be Young Dr Roychutwo. ;)

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
Roy doesn't have much going for him in terms of moveset potential. he has like what, 3 or 4 moves that would difference him from Marth by using his battle animations from FE6.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Roy doesn't have much going for him in terms of moveset potential. he has like what, 3 or 4 moves that would difference him from Marth by using his battle animations from FE6.
Lol wat.

If you're going purely by the battle animations from games, then yeah, ANY FE character ever would only have like 3-4 different attacks lol.

D

Deleted member

Well Roy fans, we only have four or five months left of waiting to find out if our boy Roy is going to make a triumphant return or not in Smash 4.

I originally planned to make a pretty ambitious support topic for Roy, but in the end, I simply never got around to doing it.

Even if Roy is not a part of the roster, keep in mind there is always the possibility of DLC.

Things are heating up quite a bit it seems. Even Mewtwo may have to fight to return if Pokemon is only locked in at five slots (which would be extremely dumb).

Lyn got confirmed as an Assist Trophy, but she was never going to get in over Ike, Roy, or a FE13 character. We have a stage based off of FE3 on Smash 4 Wii U, and a stage based off of FE13 on Smash 4 3DS. A trophy of FE13 Tiki/Chiki has also been confirmed.

This is now simply a waiting game. Olimar, Lucario, and Sheik (as a stand alone character) is good news for our boy, but at the same time characters such as Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut raises a lot of concern.

Roy's chances have dropped a lot due to Chrom being leaked from Gematsu. I'm pretty sure that every character on the leak is in the game and it's the only leak worth paying attention to at this time. That being said, I wouldn't count out Roy just yet.

Roy is almost certainly going to be planned for return. Sakurai is going to noticed that he's the second most wanted character in Japan; behind slightly only Mewtwo (with even Mega Man being considerably behind) and I don't think he'll ignore that demand. He is, however, a low priority character and his only hope is Fire Emblem getting four slots. If he doesn't return in the initial roster, though, DLC will probably bring him back should we get DLC for characters.

At this point, we should be looking at two to five characters left counting the Gematsu leak. If there's two, it'll go to Mewtwo and a retro character (both of which have been hinted at). If we get three or more, though, Roy may have a shot of returning in the initial roster.

Also I'd like to point out that Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't really much to be concern about in regards to Nintendo Brawl veterans. Considering how flawed the execution of Pokemon Trainer was, cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur were sort of a necessary evil in the long run (at least we got Charizard back). It's not like they were axed because of recency.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
when was Chrom leaked? you don't mean the picture of chrom done by an artist which was shown on the SSB4 rumor thread?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Thought I'd come in here to say my piece on Roy. My boy and I go back to around mid 2002. I was nine years old. I had Melee for about 4 months or so (it was my first Gamecube game), and I was getting used to the characters. Someone told me about the infamous "unlock Sonic and Tails by defeating 20 enemies on Cruel Melee" hoax started by EGM for an April Fool's prank. I suspected it was fake (I don't care if you guys don't believe me), but I wanted to see if I could do it. This led me to try out every character on the roster. I got my ass kicked with just about everyone, when I decided to try out the "weird sword guys from that game called Fire Emblem". I tried out Marth and got my ass handed to me, like with all of the rest. Then, I decided to try out Roy. I used his Up-B, which KO'ed 4 of the Wire Frames in one shot. In that moment, I felt the power of the Sword of Seals. This could be the character that would push me to that goal of 20 Wire Frames. I practiced for weeks and I eventually did it with Roy. Of course, I didn't unlock Sonic and Tails because it was a hoax, but I didn't care. I did it. After that, I made Roy my main. We have defeated many opponents at my local level together since. Albeit, that's not impressive, but I have felled a few Marth users who thought they were superior.

While I've never gone to tournaments and I would get my ass handed to me if I did, I have been using Roy for 12 years now. I don't care if he's "the most boring Fire Emblem Lord" or "an inferior clone of Marth". Roy was a huge part of my childhood because I played Melee with him nonstop after I felt the power of T3h Ph1r3. His cut from Brawl was a huge devastation to me and was one of the reasons why I kept returning to Melee until Project M brought him back. He's not too high on my most wanted characters for Smash 4 mainly because Project M satisfied my Roy needs, but I still would love to see our boy return, even if he is competing with a lot of characters.

I have stood by this since 2008: I don't like Ike. Roy's my boy!

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
@ SethTheMage SethTheMage that was a great story I hope our boy comes back!At the very least an alt costume for Marth which has fire effects and voice changes(this ones more of a longshot.)

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Wait. We have a Fire Emblem stage on the Wii U version? I haven't seen it.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
There has not been a Fire Emblem stage confirmed for the Wii u version yet. There's only Arena Ferox on the 3DS so far.
That's what I thought. Chrono said that there was an FE3 stage on Wii U, but I haven't found anything on it. It probably was just a simple mistake.

D

Deleted member

Thought I'd come in here to say my piece on Roy. My boy and I go back to around mid 2002. I was nine years old. I had Melee for about 4 months or so (it was my first Gamecube game), and I was getting used to the characters. Someone told me about the infamous "unlock Sonic and Tails by defeating 20 enemies on Cruel Melee" hoax started by EGM for an April Fool's prank. I suspected it was fake (I don't care if you guys don't believe me), but I wanted to see if I could do it. This led me to try out every character on the roster. I got my *** kicked with just about everyone, when I decided to try out the "weird sword guys from that game called Fire Emblem". I tried out Marth and got my *** handed to me, like with all of the rest. Then, I decided to try out Roy. I used his Up-B, which KO'ed 4 of the Wire Frames in one shot. In that moment, I felt the power of the Sword of Seals. This could be the character that would push me to that goal of 20 Wire Frames. I practiced for weeks and I eventually did it with Roy. Of course, I didn't unlock Sonic and Tails because it was a hoax, but I didn't care. I did it. After that, I made Roy my main. We have defeated many opponents at my local level together since. Albeit, that's not impressive, but I have felled a few Marth users who thought they were superior.

While I've never gone to tournaments and I would get my *** handed to me if I did, I have been using Roy for 12 years now. I don't care if he's "the most boring Fire Emblem Lord" or "an inferior clone of Marth". Roy was a huge part of my childhood because I played Melee with him nonstop after I felt the power of T3h Ph1r3. His cut from Brawl was a huge devastation to me and was one of the reasons why I kept returning to Melee until Project M brought him back. He's not too high on my most wanted characters for Smash 4 mainly because Project M satisfied my Roy needs, but I still would love to see our boy return, even if he is competing with a lot of characters.

I have stood by this since 2008: I don't like Ike. Roy's my boy!
Great story. I used to play with Roy a lot in Melee as well, much more so than Marth. I was really disappointed that he got cut from the Brawl's roster, but at least we have him back in Project M. :)

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Great story. I used to play with Roy a lot in Melee as well, much more so than Marth. I was really disappointed that he got cut from the Brawl's roster, but at least we have him back in Project M. :)
Thanks! I prefer the playstyle that he was given in Project M. It didn't take me long at all to adapt to the changes despite being used to him in Melee for 11 years. The PMBR fixed all of his glaring weak points in Melee, but his moveset is still mostly how it was in Melee. It felt very natural; I am very impressed and pleased with the work they did. I kind of want go to a P:M tournament to see how my Roy game would fare competitively, but, unfortunately, I don't have either the time, money, or the transportation.

On topic, as for how Roy should be represented in Smash 4, I'm on the fence. If he appears in Smash 4, I think that Sakurai will give him a massive moveset overhaul to differentiate him from Marth. I've been so used to him being a clone/semi-clone of Marth for so many years, that it would feel jarring for me to play as him with an entirely new moveset. I'm kind of worried that I won't like playing as him if they completely change him. That being said, I completely love his Awakening redesign. If they brought him back with that design and some long-ranged fire sword magic, like he had in his game, then I will be completely on board.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Just came in here to post that, after reading this whole thread, Roy is once again my most wanted character for Smash 4 (used to be Matthew/Isaac for a time).
I see that (almost) everyone here is really trying as hard as they can to get as much support for our boy as possible.
Chrom's 'supposed' inclusion does hurt Roy's chances a bit, but I'm still hopeful!

Last edited:

Wobz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WobzGames
Warning Received
Well, hey, March 29 is the 12th anniversary of Roy's game's release in Japan, so expect his reveal soon enough. :awesome::troll:
I would love for him to be in, hey he could be an alternate costume, but still have the same moveset as he did in melee

He dosnt have to take up a character slot ya know

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel bad for Roy, my sister is a big Fire Emblem fan and she wouldn't mind ANY Awakening character to get into the game. But for some reason, Roy isn't her boy in anything other than Melee and Project M, where she avidly mains him. She just doesn't enjoy the prospect of Roy in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

So now that Ike has been confirmed to return (and Chrom leaked by Sal Romano), I think discussion of whenever or not we get four Fire Emblem characters can start now. I believe that if we get a fourth character, it will be Roy.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
So now that Ike has been confirmed to return (and Chrom leaked by Sal Romano), I think discussion of whenever or not we get four Fire Emblem characters can start now. I believe that if we get a fourth character, it will be Roy.
As much as I would love to see Roy again, if there was to be a third Fire Emblem character, I would want it to be a villain, preferably the Black Knight/Zelgius or Dark Emperor Hardin. A close third would be Validar.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
People have been saying that since Ike has now been revealed, Roy's somehow deconfirmed. I think it's the contrary, there's no way Roy would have returned if Ike didn't come back, so Ike's reveal seems to really help Roy's chances.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pretty much. Of course, bring that up at GameFAQs and expect to get ridiculed.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So we got Marth based on his appearance in Shadow Dragon, and Ike based on Radiant Dawn.

Since those are their most recent designs (not counting their appearance in Awakening), what design would Roy boast? A more accurate outfit from Binding Blade (blue cape and brighter hair), or his appearance from Awakening?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People have been saying that since Ike has now been revealed, Roy's somehow deconfirmed. I think it's the contrary, there's no way Roy would have returned if Ike didn't come back, so Ike's reveal seems to really help Roy's chances.
Agree. While I don't think Roy is likely, I definitely see him as our fourth Fire Emblem character. Since I believe Chrom will be our third, it's a question of whenever or not we get our fourth Fire Emblem character.
So we got Marth based on his appearance in Shadow Dragon, and Ike based on Radiant Dawn.

Since those are their most recent designs (not counting their appearance in Awakening), what design would Roy boast? A more accurate outfit from Binding Blade (blue cape and brighter hair), or his appearance from Awakening?
It'll be his design from Awakening; makes him stand out more then just another lord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Since neither Ike nor Marth use their DLC designs, I'd say that rules out DLC!Roy, at least as his default costume.

And since Marth and Ike use their most recent non-DLC appearance...

Shota Roy confirmed. :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom