• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Just so you people know, Roy's counter against a charged up PK Flash can knock out Ness from 19 % to 66 % from the right right side of the stage to the blast zone. Roy sure has been training for 13 years, that's what someone would say! Wow, that counter is really powerful. Now if Roy's counter had the damage and knockback of Ike's counter, let's just say, Ness would have been sent flying really fast to the blast zone. (I think Ike's counter was buffed since update 1.0.6 along with his Aether move being said to be higher.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHrANsTbYvA

Just so you people know, Roy's counter against a charged up PK Flash can knock out Ness from 19 % to 66 % from the right right side of the stage to the blast zone. Roy sure has been training for 13 years, that's what someone would say! Wow, that counter is really powerful. Now if Roy's counter had the damage and knockback of Ike's counter, let's just say, Ness would have been sent flying really fast to the blast zone. (I think Ike's counter was buffed since update 1.0.6 along with his Aether move being said to be higher.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHrANsTbYvA
Roy's counter was nerfed from 1.5 to 1.35 from Melee, oddly enough. Still stronger than Ike's which is 1.2x or so.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
Roy's counter was nerfed from 1.5 to 1.35 from Melee, oddly enough. Still stronger than Ike's which is 1.2x or so.
I'm very aware of his counter being nerfed from Melee to SSB4. (Honestly, I never mained Roy or even had his counter executed before, so I barely even notice the difference since I never mained Roy in Melee.)

I still think Ike's Counter is greater than Roy's Counter in terms of damage and knockback though. But this was very impressive in the video. And by the way, the two videos are mine's and you can follow me and subscribe to me when you get the chance.

I'm very aware of his counter being nerfed from Melee to SSB4. (Honestly, I never mained Roy or even had his counter executed before, so I barely even notice the difference since I never mained Roy in Melee.)

I still think Ike's Counter is greater than Roy's Counter in terms of damage and knockback though. But this was very impressive in the video. And by the way, the two videos are mine's and you can follow me and subscribe to me when you get the chance.
I got u subbed since a few days ago famm. I checked the FE counter values by throwing a bomb straight-up in training mode next to a foe who isn't Bowser Jr. because of his weird cart mechanics where the cart takes more damage.
The explosion always hits for 30, counter damage hits as the second hit.

Ike: 36 (total 67)
Marthcina: 36 (total 67)
Ike and Marthcina are indeed 1.2x. This leads me to wonder where the extra point came from, if they truly go by 1.2x.
Maybe it's something weird like 1.21x or 1.25x, or the game rounds damage or does something weird with it in this scenario. I'm not really aware of how this game handles damage beyond some attacks having decimal values, which is why some hits on things like Pit's blades hit for 0 but tack on decimals.

Roy: 41 (total 71)
Roy is indeed 1.35x, where he hits for 40.5. This means the explosion has anywhere from 30.5 damage to 30.9 damage, or there's some weird property affecting it with an extra point like the other FE characters.

There seems to be no freaking consistency here, unless it's a weird and special one.

First guess: Marthcina/Ike have just a teeny bit more on 1.2x for counter (like 1.21 or 1.22 or something)

Second guess: Some weird damage mechanic I'm unaware of.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Fire Emblem - The Sword of Seals is coming to Japan's Wii U Virtual Console line-up! Let's hope for the game's localisation in the future of FE! ...And I remembered we're still waiting for FE Fates' release next year...

Troykv

Smash Master
Fire Emblem - The Sword of Seals is coming to Japan's Wii U Virtual Console line-up! Let's hope for the game's localisation in the future of FE! ...And I remembered we're still waiting for FE Fates' release next year...
Maybe some day we would finally get the game.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Great news for Japanese players! Y'know, it would be cool if they include those promo maps somehow. Took them long enough though...

I'm kinda doubtful that FE6 would get localized, but it doesn't hurt to show our support.

I don't want FE6 localized.

I don't want this decade to be another bad one for Roy. I don't want years of topics like "Why do people even like Roy?" or "Why do Fire Emblem fans hate Roy?" or topics complaining about him being bland, weak, etc. all over again. I'd rather keep it to a minimum than have a bunch of Casual/Phoenix mode fans hop right in because they like Roy through Smash and have a difficult time with the game, or players who played the GBA games a decade ago who weren't that good at FE to begin with, then hate Roy due to their lack of fundamentals and skill. I don't want fans who get the bad ending to not see moments where Roy shines most with Idoun and the best ending, and that'd ultimately go more against his personality.

Take this, for example. Play it through here rather than a separate tab so it cuts right to where it should. Lost Levels and its lack of localization helped Mario. Lack of localization for Roy's game would minimize how much we have to deal with in the future.

We can easily spread a balance patch, an earlier promotion patch, etc. around if we want people to play the game. It's not that hard to get a fresh batch of a dozen people into it if we really want people to play it. It's not bad to just let people know Roy in Smash alone.

Roy can't pull a Lucas. Despite Lucas's flaws as a character both in-battle and in-story, fans can accept that. Lucas fans never had to go through the hell we did, it makes me incredibly envious. Fire Emblem fans are a lot whinier and pickier (just like me :grin:) than Mother fans. They aren't as smart. These factors won't improve.

When modern fans treat Lucina as the best character ever (parading her as their waifu with Lucina merchandise out the ass) and hate on Roy when he is a much better character in personality, importance to his game and the series, and with in-game viability, with this being surprisingly common, that's part of why I lost faith in our fan community.

My only hope would be in a remake. Even then, it's such a gamble. It could improve Roy's viability, flesh out his personality more, and add content to a classic game. It could ruin a lot about the game, or make it too much of a modern Fire Emblem game while removing content. I'm not optimistic on modern Fire Emblem and Fates/Illusory Revelations haven't sold me, besides maybe cheap used copies. Awakening might have been the end of the series for me that I needed. I feel FE6 is amazing as it stands, and it has that perfect classic feel it needs. I can revisit it so many times and be happy with it every time, with just a good time of a run no matter what I decide to do. I can have a field day with FEditor/Nightmare, or see what other people create from the game. I feel that too few can appreciate what FE6 brings to the table, and that too many let their lack of appreciation run rampant in what I worry about. This, in a nutshell, is my fear of the game's localization.

I am against an FE6 localization. Because I love Roy and FE6, and know how the Smash and Fire Emblem communities function, I strongly feel that it's a terrible idea. If you guys want to push for it, I won't speak against it at that point. I'll just observe from the outside and see how it goes.

I'd much rather focus on Roy's meta in Smash 4 and Melee/PM, enjoy FE6 for the classic title it is along with the other classic games of the series, and just enjoy this as a social thread. We've earned all we needed for our boy. I'm glad to finally be out of the air of 100% seriousness and always feeling like I need to get something done from the legacy thread. I really enjoyed my days in there, but I want our victory to be something that truly lasts.
If something much more beneficial than an FE6 localization pops up, I probably wouldn't mind fighting for something again. Maybe with not as much zeal though.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Like I said, I kinda doubt FE6 will get localized, mostly because of it's difficultly and what IS said about the game in a past interview on such matter (there's a reason why they chose FE7 as the first Western FE game). Taking that into account, I think a remake is more likely. But the thing is, the Smash and FE community can be **** at times. Even to this day there's still dumb arguments about Roy and people beating a dead horse over and over again. I honestly cannot see things getting worse, and I just ignore haters and such.

But yeah, I agree that remaking FE6 is a gamble. I've said in the past that you do have to wonder if they'd incorporate modern features into a remake of an older game. I think a hypothetical FE6 remake will feel a lot different. Don't know if that's good or bad thing, but I do think Roy deserves a proper introduction in the West. Maybe I'm asking for too much though.

Another problem is the future of FE. I'll have to see how Fates is once I play it, but from what I've read, it's like... I used to hope that the next FE game would be a remake of an older game (mostly because of what happened with Awakening), but now with all the new, modern features I'm having second thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if a remake would follow suit. FE had changed and evolved. The niche series has stood the test of time, and I think that's a great accomplishment in and of itself. It's fine if fans have dropped the series given the direction it's taking, but despite my qualms, I'm going to stick with the series until the end. Even if the series turns into a pile of poop, it's one of the few Nintendo series I'm pretty loyal to and will still buy (again, dunno if that's a good or bad thing lol). Can't say the same about Pokemon, for example. Maybe if there's a 3rd Orre game/whatever or if they just bring back Wes I'd be interested again. ;)

Actually, Pokken is probably the only Pokemon-related thing that's gotten me very hyped in recent years.

On an unrelated note, I'm probably gonna start playing Path of Radiance after I finish geist (interesting game with unique concepts, but the game's flaws hold it back... a lot).

Last edited:
Actually, Pokken is probably the only Pokemon-related thing that's gotten me very hyped in recent years.
Yo you hear about that Super Mystery Dungeon and fixing the flaws from Gates? That's got me 500 kinds of excited, 50000 more after starting a file on Sky recently.

Troykv

Smash Master
I want the game in America, but a localization is un likeable and a remake has a clowdy destiny because the new mechanics.

One thought I had: people will be too distracted with Fates/IR and other modern FE stuff to care, few will play FE6, and we just teach them how to optimize Roy and the game's story and mechanics to make it as enjoyable as possible for them while tacking off a bit of Roy's stigma.

Eliwood seems to be the butt of less and less and respected more over time (which @SMX was running into, some of it for wrong reasons like when few argued Eliwood > Roy for SSB4, but he liked the character playing through and saw respect for the character in different places) so maybe it can happen for Roy. I have doubts and little hope but the possibility is there.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
But guys! we should be happy! We got Shadow Dragon!!!!.... Oh, wait, that's not a good thing.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
But guys! we should be happy! We got Shadow Dragon!!!!.... Oh, wait, that's not a good thing.
Sob_sob_by_Sparky_Golden.jpg

never gets old
One thought I had: people will be too distracted with Fates/IR and other modern FE stuff to care, few will play FE6, and we just teach them how to optimize Roy and the game's story and mechanics to make it as enjoyable as possible for them while tacking off a bit of Roy's stigma.

Eliwood seems to be the butt of less and less and respected more over time (which @SMX was running into, some of it for wrong reasons like when few argued Eliwood > Roy for SSB4, but he liked the character playing through and saw respect for the character in different places) so maybe it can happen for Roy. I have doubts and little hope but the possibility is there.
well I'll fully admit I didn't like lyn before playing her game
Roy gets to much of a stereotype thrown on him due to his inclusion in smash
I want the game in America, but a localization is un likeable and a remake has a clowdy destiny because the new mechanics.
honestly shadow dragon is way to faithful to the original game and is sadly what I consider to be a contributer to why the game isn't as good as it could have been as it lacks in a lot changes that happened over the years

combat also looked awful
FE had changed and evolved.
things need to get better to evolve :secretkpop:
Maybe some day we would finally get the game.
I'd like it so maybe I could use the FE6 fan art folder more often
tumblr_ns6d1jkp3j1u7mbbzo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 71503
never gets old

well I'll fully admit I didn't like lyn before playing her game
Roy gets to much of a stereotype thrown on him due to his inclusion in smash

honestly shadow dragon is way to faithful to the original game and is sadly what I consider to be a contributer to why the game isn't as good as it could have been as it lacks in a lot changes that happened over the years

combat also looked awful

things need to get better to evolve :secretkpop:

I'd like it so maybe I could use the FE6 fan art folder more often
View attachment 71510
What would you say Roy's specific stereotype is from Smash? There's a few that come to mind, but I can't pinpoint a specific one you may mean.

I feel that staying true to FE6 would be much better than staying true to FE1, since it's great enough of a title on its own to not tank like SD. Making FE1 ****ing ugly also really hurt it.

I'm sorry that North American fans remember this and your weird Awakening DLC look straight up fitted onto Lucina more than FE12, Marth. A fate worse than death.

The artist draws hentai as well :150:

I think FE12 did a great job at just being a remake, maybe that sort of balance could work.

Modern FE puts me off way too much to keep faith in that though.

Sonicninja115

What would you say Roy's specific stereotype is from Smash? There's a few that come to mind, but I can't pinpoint a specific one you may mean.

I feel that staying true to FE6 would be much better than staying true to FE1, since it's great enough of a title on its own to not tank like SD. Making FE1 ****ing ugly also really hurt it.

I'm sorry that North American fans remember this and your weird Awakening DLC look straight up fitted onto Lucina more than FE12, Marth. A fate worse than death.

The artist draws hentai as well :150:

I think FE12 did a great job at just being a remake, maybe that sort of balance could work.

Modern FE puts me off way too much to keep faith in that though.
awakening was pretty good, and Fates is looking great! but my favorites have to be Sealed sword and fire emblem 7.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
I liked Awakening as well but the best times I had while playing Fire Emblem was with Path of Radiance as a kid. Radiant Dawn was too hard but I could probably beat it now if I tried.

Path of Radiance was just more captivating

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I liked Awakening as well but the best times I had while playing Fire Emblem was with Path of Radiance as a kid. Radiant Dawn was too hard but I could probably beat it now if I tried.

I want to get those games but they cost $60 :(

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
hot headed/quick to anger, impatient are the ones that come to mind most
Pretty much just go to any English comic on the internet with Roy in it and it has a 80% chance of being an incorrect depiction
awakening was pretty good, and Fates is looking great!
such a comment is mutiny to me
hqdefault.jpg

you know, I didn't mind the difficulty of the game, it was just the character availability that was a thorn in my side to no end
Ex:
Lucia appears!​
game: 'Lucia get back into your corner it isn't your turn yet'
Lucia: 'but...'
game: 'no, corner now'
Lucia: 'okay....'

I practically was punching myself every time I had to use Elincia's "royal knights"

hot headed/quick to anger, impatient are the ones that come to mind most
Pretty much just go to any English comic on the internet with Roy in it and it has a 80% chance of being an incorrect depiction
Also add in mischevious, a pyromaniac, whiny, and weak. A class clown. It definitely may have hurt pre-DLC opinions of Roy and some post-DLC ones. I feel Roy is finally rightfully portrayed in 4. I wish he didn't look like a *** in Project M.

The memories, this drawing, it's all flooding back.

Troykv

Smash Master
Also add in mischevious, a pyromaniac, whiny, and weak. A class clown. It definitely may have hurt pre-DLC opinions of Roy and some post-DLC ones. I feel Roy is finally rightfully portrayed in 4. I wish he didn't look like a *** in Project M.

Hahaha... Well... Maybe the old SSBM design is based in some Concept Art... I don't know :p

And yeah, he finally get a more canon build and a better representation otherwise.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

RIP noodle arms, you wont be missed and belong on leif

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Hey there's nothing wrong with being a pyromaniac. :awesome: Marth also gets the short end of the stick sometimes when people portray him. Fabulous, pretentious snob and all that jazz.

Actually, I kinda find it funny Roy isn't really portrayed as a Fiery Redhead in FE6, especially since he has, y'know, red hair and a fire sword. Breaking the mould, eh? And everyone knows, only shooting stars break the mould!~ Take it away, Smash Mouth!

Also, Wolt + bro = Brolt (what I usually call him lol).

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Hey there's nothing wrong with being a pyromaniac. :awesome: Marth also gets the short end of the stick sometimes when people portray him. Fabulous, pretentious snob and all that jazz.
ok even if it's incorrect I enjoy that one, probably cause at this point people know the reality, but still
tumblr_nsdv3b4UI41u7mbbzo1_540.jpg

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
ok even if it's incorrect I enjoy that one, probably cause at this point people know the reality, but still
View attachment 71631
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
The only problem I have is if Marth's portrayed as a complete jerk***... Although strangely enough I don't really mind how people portray Roy (or anyone else for the matter) as long as they're not extreme jerks of anything. Because being a jerk ain't cool and I already see enough of them in my day-to-day life.

Pantless Marth is best Marth, but why let him have all the fun?

:awesome:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
The only problem I have is if Marth's portrayed as a complete jerk***... Although strangely enough I don't really mind how people portray Roy (or anyone else for the matter) as long as they're not extreme jerks of anything. Because being a jerk ain't cool and I already see enough of them in my day-to-day life.

Pantless Marth is best Marth, but why let him have all the fun?

:awesome:
needs sigurd or hector
45068694_p0.jpg

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I have no idea why I haven't already visited the Roy boards considering I've secondaried him since he was released for dlc and I've been on the Tink boards even longer (Toon Link's my main). So, hey, I guess.
Anyway, the main reasons I secondary Roy and Marth are because, well, they're bloody fun as hell, and also my new found love for the FE franchise (I got awakening for christmas and am now playing through the sacred stones.) But I don't know which game in the series I want to play next (between FE7 and shadow dragon), It'll likely be FE7 because it's one of the 3 GBA FE games so it should be easy to switch from FE8 to it. Which one of the two would you say is better?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I have no idea why I haven't already visited the Roy boards considering I've secondaried him since he was released for dlc and I've been on the Tink boards even longer (Toon Link's my main). So, hey, I guess.
Anyway, the main reasons I secondary Roy and Marth are because, well, they're bloody fun as hell, and also my new found love for the FE franchise (I got awakening for christmas and am now playing through the sacred stones.) But I don't know which game in the series I want to play next (between FE7 and shadow dragon), It'll likely be FE7 because it's one of the 3 GBA FE games so it should be easy to switch from FE8 to it. Which one of the two would you say is better?
definitely FE7, Shadow Dragon is pretty meh

Troykv

Smash Master
Well... the FE7 is the betterr, from the internation Fire Emblem is the most "neutral" because doesn't have specially weird mechanics outside some special way to finish some chapters.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Welcome! ^^ Ironically, we started FE around the same time. As for the game you should go with, I would honestly pick FE7 because I am in no way biased towards both of those games. Okay, maybe a little, but I felt like FE7 was a smooth translation from Awakening. I can imagine SS was even easier with grinding available.

Just one question, though. I swear half of the people that I know play Smash main TL. ARE YOU SURE I DON'T KNOW YOU

just kidding. but seriously, my entire town plays toon link and its annoying

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Welcome! ^^ Ironically, we started FE around the same time. As for the game you should go with, I would honestly pick FE7 because I am in no way biased towards both of those games. Okay, maybe a little, but I felt like FE7 was a smooth translation from Awakening. I can imagine SS was even easier with grinding available.

Just one question, though. I swear half of the people that I know play Smash main TL. ARE YOU SURE I DON'T KNOW YOU

just kidding. but seriously, my entire town plays toon link and its annoying
That's actually really surprising for me to hear, like, really surprising. From my experiences I always felt Tink was a very rarely used char, but out of the other Tink mains I've played I hate how most of them play (really campy) which is why, although it's definitely not the ideal way to play him, I play a very aggressive and often flashy Tink.

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been discovered yet or if it is exclusive to Roy but I was playing against the CPU for fun when this really long roll happened. No customs were on, it was 3 stocks and I was using a GC controller. It happens at around the 2:50 mark. I am not up to date with Roy tech so if this exists feel free to point it out or remove this post.

https://youtu.be/22O5PZW7Xbc?t=2m49s

Thanks for reading!

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
That's actually really surprising for me to hear, like, really surprising. From my experiences I always felt Tink was a very rarely used char, but out of the other Tink mains I've played I hate how most of them play (really campy) which is why, although it's definitely not the ideal way to play him, I play a very aggressive and often flashy Tink.
Eh yeah, Tink and Link are REALLY common here. I know at least four or five people that main the two. It's more of a school community thing, but I'm pretty sure everyone played Link after I reked scrubs with him, before I mained Robin. *puts on shades*

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been discovered yet or if it is exclusive to Roy but I was playing against the CPU for fun when this really long roll happened. No customs were on, it was 3 stocks and I was using a GC controller. It happens at around the 2:50 mark. I am not up to date with Roy tech so if this exists feel free to point it out or remove this post.

https://youtu.be/22O5PZW7Xbc?t=2m49s

Thanks for reading!
It could be that somewhere in the f smash there's a windbox, Tink can do a similar thing with dair, if someone shields the dair then rolls away when tink hits the ground. there's a windbox at the side of the attack when landing which pushes them away so that adds to the distance of the roll

Top Bottom