• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
tl;dr: Pac-Man would be just fine. A tales of character would be just fine. The end.
Honestly with Mega Man out of the way and recent comments by Sakurai that confirms what a lot of us already knew, I've been feeling a lot more open to a Namco Bandai character (though I still don't think they're all that great/interesting). Feels good to have had Sakurai dismiss everyone's silly claims about a Namco Bandai character being a given (not that it couldn't happen of course).

The only other Third-Parties that have a realistic shot is Ubisoft (Which even if Rayman Legends were exclusive I doubt they'd push Rayman; I could see an Assassin's Creed person in PSABR or something though) and Square-Enix (THEY TURNED DOWN PSABR WHAT) so...
I don't quite agree with this though, but mostly because of personal opinion (for who really knows how the heck Sakurai goes about 3rd party stuff, any word on how he got Mega Man yet?). Only 3rd parties I can see with a realistic shot would be: Konami (Snake), Level 5 (Layton), Namco Bandai (Pac-Man), Platinum Games (Wonderful 101), SEGA (Sonic), and Temco Koei (Ryu Hayabusa).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
well i gotta say that so many people think that people like goku and cloud from FF7 can get in JUST CAUSE THEY ARE LEGEDNARY. its just not that simple and it pisses me off that people still think that it can happen.
Those people live on another planet and are delusional. Delusional people exist.

As for Cloud (Or any other Final Fantasy character) I know for a fact [As well as one of the SE employees] that apparently one of the guys who owns all the characters or something like that is picky about it (Not just the PSABR case that we don't have details on) so I'm not really expecting this. Plus from what I've gathered in any crossover (If people want to prove me wrong they can, but I remember hoops, fortune street, AND sports mix all having many FF characters)

I'm also going to throw out there that with Final Fantasy and Tales Of, the guess to a character is in the air for... just about anyone. The game is very open for both of those franchises and there is no single character you all can pin on no matter how many freakish advantages someone comes up with for Cloud or Lloyd. You just can't.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Doesn't Nintendo hold rights to Wonderful 101?
Not really sure if they do. If they do then my mistake. Honestly though, I'm not betting on them 1st or 3rd party.

EDIT: If they're shared, I'd count that as 3rd party like Geno (though with MAJOR differences in terms of likely hood of course).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't quite agree with this though, but mostly because of personal opinion (for who really knows how the heck Sakurai goes about 3rd party stuff, any word on how he got Mega Man yet?). Only 3rd parties I can see with a realistic shot would be: Konami (Snake), Level 5 (Layton), Namco Bandai (Pac-Man), Platinum Games (Wonderful 101), SEGA (Sonic), and Temco Koei (Ryu Hayabusa).
Temco Koei? Are they even that important?

Level 5 I wouldn't say has much of a shot, maybe a bit.

Platinum Games... eh. And people have already clarified it's party status.

The main companies are really Konami, Sega, Ubisoft, Square, Namco, and Capcom. I guess there's a few others I'm certainly missing like Activision and EA (though I don't see those two happening for sure)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In terms of the relationship towards Nintendo, it's pretty solid. They're not a massive tyrant of a company, but they do produce varies IPs like Dynasty Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, and Fatal Frame. The last one even belongs to Nintendo by fairly large margin, and Nintendo references do appear in some of these series.

D

Deleted member

Not really sure if they do. If they do then my mistake. Honestly though, I'm not betting on them 1st or 3rd party.

EDIT: If they're shared, I'd count that as 3rd party like Geno (though with MAJOR differences in terms of likely hood of course).
Wouldn't it be more comparable to the Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment franchises?

FourStar

Smash Ace
Those people live on another planet and are delusional. Delusional people exist.

As for Cloud (Or any other Final Fantasy character) I know for a fact [As well as one of the SE employees] that apparently one of the guys who owns all the characters or something like that is picky about it (Not just the PSABR case that we don't have details on) so I'm not really expecting this. Plus from what I've gathered in any crossover (If people want to prove me wrong they can, but I remember hoops, fortune street, AND sports mix all having many FF characters)

I'm also going to throw out there that with Final Fantasy and Tales Of, the guess to a character is in the air for... just about anyone. The game is very open for both of those franchises and there is no single character you all can pin on no matter how many freakish advantages someone comes up with for Cloud or Lloyd. You just can't.
exactly! god people this to everyone. realize that nintendo is not cool with everybody therefore other party characters are extremely rare

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
They did do Samurai Warriors 3 (worked with Nintendo on Wii port, Murasame Castle crossover), Metroid Other M, Pokemon Conquest, Dead or Alive Dimensions (Metroid content), and Ninja Gaiden 3 Sigma (worked with Nintendo).

They have a good resume with Nintendo (back to the NES) with more recent collaborations than any of the other major 3rd parties (except maybe SEGA).

Level 5 I wouldn't say has much of a shot, maybe a bit.
Mostly said them due to all the Layton fans, honestly I'm not a huge expert on them other than knowing they have close ties with Nintendo.

Platinum Games... eh. And people have already clarified it's party status.
Mostly said due to Wonderful 101 stuff.

Wouldn't it be more comparable to the Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment franchises?
I guess. Honestly all the "Party" stuff is confusing and tough to follow.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mostly said them due to all the Layton fans, honestly I'm not a huge expert on them other than knowing they have close ties with Nintendo.
Level 5 has a good solid relationship with Nintendo, and it's worth noting that on Nintendo systems most of their games are published outside of Japan by Nintendo. This includes all of the Professor Layton games and some of the Inazuma Eleven games.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I actually did some research just now on Temco Koei, and while I kinda rushed since I'm sleeping soon, it's possible. I won't completely rule it out, but I think the ones I mentioned are probably most of the best, as "sad" as it might be viewed as.

Though I will off-hand that when the "We want Travis Touchdown in Smash" thing came, I actually wanted Travis Touchdown.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that the SSB4 newcomers might be from major first-party games that casual gamers would recognize... that or very iconic... and third-party characters must be iconic and important to Nintendo's history.

Dixie Kong - Donkey Kong games (SNES, GB, Wii U, etc.)
Duck Hunt Dog - Duck Hunt (NES)
Little Mac - Punch-Out!! games (NES, Wii)
Mega Man - Mega Man games (NES, SNES)
Mewtwo - Pokémon games and movies (GB, GBA, 3DS, etc.)
Mii - Wii Sports and related games (Wii, 3DS, Wii U)
Pac-Man - Pac-Man games (arcade, NES, GCN, etc.)
Takamaru - Nintendo Land (Wii U)
Toad - Mario main games and spin-off games (NES, Wii, Wii U, etc.)
Villager - Animal Crossing games (DS, Wii, 3DS)
Wii Fit Trainer - Wii Fit games (Wii, Wii U)

That's 11 potential newcomers from major first-party games that casual gamers would likely recognize. Now for the newcomers that dedicated Nintendo fans would likely recognize but the casual gamers most likely wouldn't recognize them.

Chrom - Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Impa - Zelda games (N64, GBC, Wii, etc.)
Palutena - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Ridley - Metroid games (NES, SNES, Wii, etc.)
Shulk - Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

I feel that they are more obscure since the games they appear in are usually more complicated for casual gamers... so only Nintendo fans would likely know who they are. But still, I feel that this might be a reasonable selection of newcomers. It's not too conservative... but it's not too random.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I actually did some research just now on Temco Koei, and while I kinda rushed since I'm sleeping soon, it's possible. I won't completely rule it out, but I think the ones I mentioned are probably most of the best, as "sad" as it might be viewed as.
I'm not betting on them either, but they're definitely really high up on the 3rd party totem pole when people remember they exist. Only companies I'm even going to put money on at this point are SEGA and Namco Bandai.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not betting on them either, but they're definitely really high up on the 3rd party totem pole when people remember they exist. Only companies I'm even going to put money on at this point are SEGA and Namco Bandai.
Same. I'd have more on Square if Square actually cared and if everything else from Square didn't point to otherwise with all I've said about their crossovers.

Edit: Horrah, another character list with! ...Nothing. Honestly general popularity (Asides from a few cases like Villager and MegaMan) is so hard to determine: Especially into a game like this or another crossover.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think we will get any second party characters? To me it looks like he'll just go after first party characters.
I'm not sure if he will, but considering that we got Mega Man (and presumably Pac-Man), I'm inclined to think that licensing issues won't stop him should he choose to include one. If we do get one, Isaac, Saki and Starfy all have a fair shot.

warpd

Smash Apprentice
Is there a chance that Snake and Sonic might not come back? I don't like it when characters are cut, but the possibility is there.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Is there a chance that Snake and Sonic might not come back? I don't like it when characters are cut, but the possibility is there.
Snake yes. There's a possibility that he probably won't return. Sonic is the opposite right now though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I highly doubt that that would matter in the first place.

May I remind you that Sakurai and Kojima are good friends. From what I assume, good friends would do that sort of thing more than once. If Kojima/ Sakurai were to make a motion to have Snake return, he will likely return. He was accepted well into the series overall. Surely he would fit into the new game.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here (except for the rare lurk in the past). Obviously, SSB4 hype has brought me here, but honestly I think it would be worth the stay since every past Smash game has given me lots of replay value (I currently play Hackless Project M).

At any rate, I just wanted to post a roster for the heck of it. I've seen people here being "realistic" with theirs, so I'm just going to say right off the bat that this is more of a compromising roster; not a dream roster, but also not pessimistically limited in size or variety. Also, please forgive the mediocre craftsmanship; I made it in MS Paint over the last couple hours.

Some notes:
- Sheik and Zero Suit Samus still exist in their traditional roles, and I would add Mewtwo's X & Y transformation as well; these transformations are simply not pictured due to lack of editing skill.
- As part of my compromise on this roster, Snake and Sonic have been removed; however, I feel Dillon and Grunt would partially be able to maintain their gameplay roles, albeit with minor moveset or stat differences (Grunt is more projectile-oriented, Dillon is a bit slower yet stronger, etc.).
- You may notice I have limited older franchises, such as adding no new Mario characters, removing Wolf and Lucario when I want Krystal and Mewtwo, and even cutting the Zelda franchise down to 3 characters. I feel this is because a greater emphasis should go towards individual IPs being represented, rather than bogging down those that we already have. You'll notice, in fact, that I have added 10 new Nintendo IPs total, some of which have been previously underrepped despite their history with the big N (Wars, Custom Robo, and Puzzle League), some of which represent new steps forward for Nintendo (Shulk is their acquisition of Monolith, Dillon is their eShop rep), and some of which are just plain obscure (Raimi from Geist, because I want a sequel dang it).
- Most if not all rosters I've seen have agreed Kid Icarus should, or rather will, get a new rep. However, nearly every one I've seen has featured Palutena, or in the rare instance Magnus or Hades. I personally feel that Medusa would be good for this role, however, as she is able to simultaneously represent the 3 main groups Smash is lacking in: Women, Magic Users, and Villains. I certainly would not be against Palutena, though.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Hahahaha. Finally I'm not the only one who thought the grunt would be a good character. Yes! Neerb, you are great in my book.:laugh: And suddenly I'm not a smash apprentice anymore, yay! Whatever the heck journeyman means.

D

Deleted member

I don't fear that much for Snake anymore.
My main thought was that he wouldn't fit the vibe Smash 4 gives, but then I remembered; DreamMix TV World Fighters.

That game was so outlandish and cheesy.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wouldn't worry that Snake won't fit the vibe, as he can be made to fit. I'd worry that Sakurai may decide that he has too many third parties, or that third parties should rotate out.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My main thought was that he wouldn't fit the vibe Smash 4 gives, but then I remembered; DreamMix TV World Fighters.

All I know is that Optimus Prime and Megatron can beat up Bomberman and Simon Belmont in that game. I think I'm ok with that too.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

I'd be cool if Simon Belmont made it as a second Konami rep. I'd like to hear what Snake has to say about one of his old opponents.

That is, if Snake gets in any more Smash games...I fear that Snake and Sonic will be rotated out for Mega Man.
(not implying that Mega Man's inclusion is bad)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I would be kinda surprised if we lost Sonic given how rabid the Sonic fanbase is, though he is definitely still tightwalking a thin line.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Wanted to hear someone discuss it so I'm copy pasting my predictions here:

Based on the current trends, info and statements I believe this will be the roster:

AND NOW TO RATIONALIZE IT!

The roster size is about the same as Brawl so I kept that in mind.

Mario has no more notable characters to add. Toad is not notable, Bowser Junior hardly ever does anything interesting there's really no one left.

DK is getting more popular lately and K. Rool is a visually striking consistent villain, Yoshi and Wario are a given (there's a bit of bias as to which Wario I put in though).

Link seems to be a saturated TP Link so I assume they kept that around because Sheik has no SS version. The other Link is the LttP model because the new 3DS game uses that artstyle and Toon Link shows up on the train level which leads me to believe he's out.

Samus and her Zero Suit are back, Sakurai said he knows about the demand of Ridley and that he could pull it off if he tried his best which he now has time to do.

Olimar is interesting, they may use him or they may use one of the new guys, I think they'll use him because Smash has a tendancy to never eliminate an original (Ness, Marth).

Sakurai LOVES StarFox, they aren't going anywhere and Krystal is not part of the N64 StarFox (aka the one everyone cares about) so she seems least likely.

Falcon is the man, the logo is a Falcon, no other character really makes sense and not many people actually care about having a third Captain Falcon.

The Pokemon are interesting, no one from the 64 game is leaving so we're "stuck" with Pikachu and Jigglypuff, the Trainer is a great way to represent the human being in the games and I feel they'll go with the Kanto one because while he's not the newest he's the one everyone knows and will recognize if they use one of the new kids with 3 new Pokemon a lot of the 90's guys aren't gonna know who they are, not to mention Charizard is still a really popular Pokemon. Mewtwo is another case of recognizing the character the new generation has no replacement Mewtwo and Lucario's heydey is over. The rule here is: EVERYONE knows first gen and likes it, Smash has a clear bias to first gen.

Fire Emblem has worked like this for 2 games: Keep Marth, replace the other guy with the newest guy so... here we are.

To make room for all the new characters though some need to get cut which is why I'm counting Lucas out, Ness isn't going anywhere as one of the original 12 and one of them is gone.

Game and Watch, Ice Climbers and ROB are here to stay. Ice Climbers have already been mentioned, ROB was huge in the plot of Brawl and G&W is a homage to the legend who made the GameBoy.

The new characters are all from slightly more minor games and have all been assist trophies) that have gotten some attention lately and as they are the original main character (notice a trend here?) of their series they seem most likely for new additions.

And finally 3rd party, Kojima might not want Snake in his more serious, Hollywood acted mode appearing in a game like this so I left him out (want him to make it though!) and Sonic has a 3 game exclusivity deal with Nintendo and was a huge hit and feature in the last game they probably signed the papers years ago.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ok. Here's my attempt at guessing again. lol

I made a few changes. I replaced Magnus with a better choice, tossed in a Mii to complete the stupid rumor trio, and i added a list of Assist Trophies.

The characters on the very bottom are who i think will become assist trophies. (Isa, King Hippo, Balloon Fighter, etc.)

JPW

Smash Ace
are people aware that the Toon Link from windwaker/phantom hourglass and the Toon link from Spirit Tracks are 2 different Links altogether?

You can still have the original Toon Link because it's from a different era.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
are people aware that the Toon Link from windwaker/phantom hourglass and the Toon link from Spirit Tracks are 2 different Links altogether?

You can still have the original Toon Link because it's from a different era.
I think some of the people that cut him out are aware. But i don't think Sakurai really cares that much about if they're different or not.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I only cut out Toon Link because he was taking up valuable character space. I like him myself, but we don't need two Links unless they have different moves, and I doubt Toon/Young/ALBW Link ever will. By the way, on that note, Aonuma said ALBW Link is NOT ALttP/OoS/OoA/LA Link, so ALBW Link really isn't important at all. He's also way too similar to Link Prime, appearance-wise, so I don't see why people want him in the first place.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I only cut out Toon Link because he was taking up valuable character space. I like him myself, but we don't need two Links unless they have different moves, and I doubt Toon/Young/ALBW Link ever will. By the way, on that note, Aonuma said ALBW Link is NOT ALttP/OoS/OoA/LA Link, so ALBW Link really isn't important at all. He's also way too similar to Link Prime, appearance-wise, so I don't see why people want him in the first place.
So we can't use ALBW Link's in game model? Because that model is way different from regular Link.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I can't fathom why people would think ALBW Link would replace Toon Link. Why would they cut a Link clone with a very unique, iconic art style for another Link clone that's much closer to the style of original Link? I have to believe that if Toon Link is cut, it'll either be because we're getting a new non-clone Zelda character or they're freeing the space for something totally different.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I can't fathom why people would think ALBW Link would replace Toon Link. Why would they cut a Link clone with a very unique, iconic art style for another Link clone that's much closer to the style of original Link? I have to believe that if Toon Link is cut, it'll either be because we're getting a new non-clone Zelda character or they're freeing the space for something totally different.
Before we get into "They're clearly going to have a new Zelda character if we don't get two links!", people followed the same logic in Brawl for us getting a new Mario rep. You can see where that went. It's totally possible that it's just Ganon/Link/Zelda (with Sheik) but I personally think we're at least seeing another link.

So then the hell is he?

And using his model isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom