• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yea but starfys moveset wouldn't be that great.

It would be easy to program though
That's pretty subjective. He has spin attacks, corkscrews, transformations, the Shooting Star move, possibly Moe the Clam, as well as the potential to borrow a couple of moves from his sister Starly. And he can glide, as well. Maybe even give some of his moves water effects. Plenty of potential there.

Khoru

Smash Champion
hi! i've been keeping up with this thread for like... a hundred and fifty pages.
i don't think i really have anything of worth to post (my roster is pretty typical) but uh. that's not exactly uncommon here.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
hi! i've been keeping up with this thread for like... a hundred and fifty pages.
i don't think i really have anything of worth to post (my roster is pretty typical) but uh. that's not exactly uncommon here.
welcome aboard. its fine a lot of us agree on certain scenarios for Smash so being similar isnt a bad thing

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I was afraid to ask it on the actual support thread since, you know, it's the support thread.

OP on the Pac-Man thread said:
The character must be unique

We've been over this, haven't we? Besides his potential moveset, he's also an anthromorphic yellow ball personifying the action of eating. No other character in the cast looks anything like him.

Does Keeby/yellow-pallete Kirby not exist?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Pac-Man myself. I honestly don't think there would be as much support for him as there currently is if Namco wasn't developing Smash Bros., either.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
*Reads one comment and wants to reply*
*New comments posted while typing reply*
*Reply posted after several other people have already posted while you were typing your reply*

-insert rage face here-
(entire forum in a nutshell)

Welcome aboard :D

CalumG

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm not a fan of Pac-Man myself. I honestly don't think there would be as much support for him as there currently is if Namco wasn't developing Smash Bros., either.
I find that the hype actually comes moreso from the inclusion of Megaman. Between Megaman, Sonic, Mario and Pac-Man, you've pretty much got the ultimate grudge match between the pioneers of gaming mascots, from back when mascots defined the industry.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can somebody give a reason for not having Starfy that doesn't affect preference?Otherwie he should be in more roster. So far nobody has given reasons that don't affect their preference for Starfy.

"Still, I fully expect Namco to get at least another character in, but moreso because of legacy than special consideration. Pacman means more to the busines of video games than almost the entire current roster ever did, and almost the entire selection of potential roster picks ever did. Sakurai would potentially pick Pacman because of his history to video games, not because of Namco's special treatment."
Pac-Man is popular as a classic Arcade Game and not so much anything else. Yeah, he had some okay games on Wii and those Pac-Man World titles, but he's not very popular in those as much as Sonic, Snake, or Mega Man are in their numerous titles. Modern Pac-Man games never really caught on to most. Bomberman games are like an infestation. You can agree Pac-Man being a legendary arcade classic is enough to get him in, but comparing him to Bomberman he's a classic and he's pretty popular in modern games too on almost every device known to man.

I guess you could argue that, but my point being that Bomberman is just a little more deserving than Pac-Man and a lot of people want him. I mean if we compare Pac-Man's number of hit games to Bomberman's than Bomberman wins. Pac-Man's popularity mostly revolves around 1 Arcade game and it's remakes.

That's pretty subjective. He has spin attacks, corkscrews, transformations, the Shooting Star move, possibly Moe the Clam, as well as the potential to borrow a couple of moves from his sister Starly. And he can glide, as well. Maybe even give some of his moves water effects. Plenty of potential there.
Don't forget Water attacks!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
IPersonally, I'm not a fan of Pac-Man myself. I honestly don't think there would be as much support for him as there currently is if Namco wasn't developing Smash Bros., either.
Nobody gave a **** about Pac-man until it was revealed that the company Namco Bandai was involved with the development.

Now, people give a **** for the wrong reasons.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nobody gave a **** about Pac-man until it was revealed that the company Namco Bandai was involved with the development.

If you ask me, Namco Bandai working with Super Smash Brothers is the only thing that made him remotely likely. And that's not a thing anymore (although I actually never ONCE thought that would get him in even before Sakurai stated that.)

So yeah, you're right, people want him for the wrong reasons.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Pac-Man is popular as a classic Arcade Game and not so much anything else.

Comparing Pacman's legacy to Bomberman's is crazy. I get what your saying, but still, Pacman is a legend that will never be tarnished. I mean, by that logic, Sonic had no reason to be in Brawl, because his current crop of games are NOWHERE'S near what his classics were.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

i know i personally wanted him way before Sonic. thats for dam sure. sure, Namco working on the game added to his support. but saying nobody cares about him is an extreme exaggeration

CalumG

Smash Lord
Can somebody give a reason for not having Starfy that doesn't affect preference?Otherwie he should be in more roster. So far nobody has given reasons that don't affect their preference for Starfy.

Pac-Man is popular as a classic Arcade Game and not so much anything else. Yeah, he had some okay games on Wii and those Pac-Man World titles, but he's not very popular in those as much as Sonic, Snake, or Mega Man are in their numerous titles. Modern Pac-Man games never really caught on to most. Bomberman games are like an infestation. You can agree Pac-Man being a legendary arcade classic is enough to get him in, but comparing him to Bomberman he's a classic and he's pretty popular in modern games too on almost every device known to man.

I guess you could argue that, but my point being that Bomberman is just a little more deserving than Pac-Man and a lot of people want him. I mean if we compare Pac-Man's number of hit games to Bomberman's than Bomberman wins. Pac-Man's popularity mostly revolves around 1 Arcade game and it's remakes.

Don't forget Water attacks!
I find your logic regarding Bomberman and Pac-Man to be faulty. Bomberman is pretty much just as bad as Pac-Man in regards to the quality of his games - every worthwhile Bomberman game is simply an extension of the original Bomberman 'bombs-and-blocks in a grid' formula, just as every worthwhile Pac-Man game is just an extension of the dots-in-a-maze formula. If you don't want Pac-Man, that's fine, but arguing that Bomberman is somehow more deserving seems like a dead-end argument to me - Pac-Man is both more popular among Smash fans (check the polls), more popular worldwide and although the quality of their games is subjective, every widely considered 'good' game from both characters is simply an update on the original Pac-Man/Bomberman concepts.

tl;dr Pac-Man is twice as deserving to be in as Bomberman, even if Pac-Man is considered a bad idea (whether or not he is, is another debate altogether).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Comparing Pacman's legacy to Bomberman's is crazy. I get what your saying, but still, Pacman is a legend that will never be tarnished. I mean, by that logic, Sonic had no reason to be in Brawl, because his current crop of games are NOWHERE'S near what his classics were.
Actually Pac-Man is nothing compared to Sonic and his games that were out by that time. And comparing Pac-Man's legacy to Bomberman IS crazy because it's nowhere near as good as Bomberman's.

Basically what you just said isn't true. That one arcade game Pac-Man had does not outweigh Sonic OR Bomberman or else he would have been in Brawl. Pac-Man being an arcade classic doesn't make him the best character or game of all time. You're giving Pac-Man more credit than he deserves.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Oh, and your welcome.
My welcome?

So...

If you could give 3 unlikely new series a character in smash, what would they be?

Can't be third party series.
PMD2's Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
Miss Madeleine (Magical Vacation/Starsign)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles) Whether Xenoblade is unlikely or not is up to you.

----

TheDivineDeity

What an arrogant assumption that people only want a video game classic like Pacman just because he's "in the now". Bull****, the same criticism can be EASILY applied directly to Megaman, or any other Namco property. I get it if you don't like the character, but don't write off his support like its nothing or that it means nothing. He still has a dedicated fanbase that wants him in the game, and by God, it would be awesome. :ohwell:

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman

I never liked Project Aces because they worked with Namco to make Ace Combat, I liked Project Aces because of what they made with Namco... until CoD popularity poisoned the series with.... THAT game....*shudders*

Namco... I personally couldn't care less about. It's just the games, and even then quality still matters.

TheDivineDeity

Actually Pac-Man is nothing compared to Sonic and his games that were out by that time. And comparing Pac-Man's legacy to Bomberman IS crazy because it's nowhere near as good as Bomberman's.

Basically what you just said isn't true. That one arcade game Pac-Man had does not outweigh Sonic OR Bomberman or else he would have been in Brawl. Pac-Man being an arcade classic doesn't make him the best character or game of all time. You're giving Pac-Man more credit than he deserves.
[/quote]

Ask anybody, ANYBODY, in the world who isn't a video gamer to tell you what video game characters they know about.. chances are Pacman will be on the list, along with Mario and Sonic. Bomberman never will. Not in the past, not in the present, not in the future. It is YOU who is overstating Bomberman's legacy.

Delicious denial.
Something you must be used to, huh? 'Delicious denial'? :smirk: Again, if you can't stand the heat...

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Ask anybody, ANYBODY, in the world who isn't a video gamer to tell you what video game characters they know about.. chances are Pacman will be on the list, along with Mario and Sonic. Bomberman never will. Not in the past, not in the present, not in the future. It is YOU who is overstating Bomberman's legacy.
*raises hand shyly*
I knew of Bomberman from before I played any of his games, and to this day I only have 1 title of his under my belt. Same with Megaman, Fire Emblem and Resident Evil/Biohazard. In the past (or should I say around my gen?) Bomberman would be more known than say by today's gen

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
:facepalm: WROOOONG!!! :facepalm:

Actually he's right, correct me if I'm wrong but Namco Bandai didn't announce they were developing Smash until around late June of 2012. If you look at Shortie's polls for example Pac-Man didn't even make the top 35 characters in the 2010 poll, and placed in at #47 in both the 2011 and early 2012 poll with a pitiful 106 and 65 votes respectively. Both Ridley and King K. Rool garnered over 360 votes in the 2011 poll and over 250 votes in the 2012 poll as a reference.

After Namco announced that they were going to develop the game did Pac-Man start receiving more recognition placing at #16 with 422 votes, a huge jump prior to the announcement in the late 2012-May 2013 poll. But even still Sakurai stated that Namco Bandai characters are not getting any special recognition for a spot on the roster just because they're developing the game.

TheDivineDeity

*raises hand shyly*
I knew of Bomberman from before I played any of his games, and to this day I only have 1 title of his under my belt. Same with Megaman, Fire Emblem and Resident Evil/Biohazard. In the past (or should I say around my gen?) Bomberman would be more known than say by today's gen[/quote]

I mean, in terms of legacy, Pacman stands the test of time with Mario and Sonic. Only video gamers would know of Bomberman. Almost anybody else would at least BE AWARE of Pacman and who he is and what legacy he stands for.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Something you must be used to, huh? 'Delicious denial'? :smirk: Again, if you can't stand the heat...
Yes, I'm in so much denial that Pac-man will get in, despite people being pessimistic towards the idea and third party characters are an extremely picky process. It doesn't mean jack if Nacmo is involved with Super Smash Bros., it doesn't matter if Pac-man is riding on the arcade game of the same name as his only note worthy appearance, and it doesn't matter if a vocal minority want a washed up character who doesn't offer anything special. If the only reason why Pac-man is even being bright is because of Namco, that is depressing.

TheDivineDeity

After Namco announced that they were going to develop the game did Pac-Man start receiving more recognition placing at #16 with 422 votes, a huge jump prior to the announcement in the late 2012-May 2013 poll. But even still Sakurai stated that Namco Bandai characters are not getting any special recognition for a spot on the roster just because they're developing the game.
I've NEVER EVER EVEEEERRR SAID Namco is getting special treatment. I SAID that Pacman would have a better chance because of his legacy and what he means to the franchise. Namco being there helps, no doubt, but still, if Pacman got in, its because he deserves it. Same logic with Megaman being in the game - yes, Namco is there, but Megaman has his worth, and so does Pacman.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You don't want Habanero to turn the heat on you.

He's worse than Golden when it comes down to debating. He's spicy for a reason.

See you in the mortuary!

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
I mean, in terms of legacy, Pacman stands the test of time with Mario and Sonic. Only video gamers would know of Bomberman. Almost anybody else would at least BE AWARE of Pacman and who he is and what legacy he stands for.
Let's not forget the DK spoof Wreck it Ralph, and the appearance of Sonic and Pacman... (wait a sec, wasn't Bomberman in the movie too?)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
*Yaaawn* What a nice nap, good to be feeling so refreshed. So what's going on in he-

What an arrogant assumption that people only want a video game classic like Pacman just because he's "in the now". Bull****, the same criticism can be EASILY applied directly to Megaman, or any other Namco property. I get it if you don't like the character, but don't write off his support like its nothing or that it means nothing. He still has a dedicated fanbase that wants him in the game, and by God, it would be awesome. :ohwell:
....Oh would you look at that, it looks like I didn't sleep enough, time to go catch some more hours! :p

TheDivineDeity

You don't want Habanero to turn the heat on you.

He's worse than Golden when it comes down to debating. He's spicy for a reason.

See you in the mortuary!
I honestly stopped giving a **** about what people think of me on this forum since the day I joined. I'll take care of my own shovel, but I'm not the one whose going to be buried.

*Yaaawn* What a nice nap, good to be feeling so refreshed. So what's going on in he-

....Oh would you look at that, it looks like I didn't sleep enough, time to go catch some more hours! :p
WHAT does THIS add to the discussion? :confused:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Dammit, I couldn't sleep a wink last night...I guess spending said time watching Game Grumps and Pokemon Movies is a good suffice. Anyways, as for the photo of the day...

What the hell is this supposed to be? It looks like the inside of someone's guts. Does anyone know what this...place/thing...is exactly?
Your questioned wasn't directly answered to you, but I believe this is the same stage as the one presented a few days ago. Except the reset bomb in the background of the previous screenshot seems to have been activated and has changed the stage layout (Or at least the background and lighting).

It's based off of Chapter 11 in Uprising.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

CalumG

Smash Lord
Well hey, as long as we can all agree that he'd be the most likely Namco newcomer, amirite? :troll:

inb4talesofsymphdodashuahagygwyia

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman

Or... we could try to start a meme war until this weird conversation is over and get some laughs out of it along the way.
Here, I'll start with a MG joke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom