• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not to mention when counting transformation, Pokémon already has six characters and planned to have a seventh one in Mewtwo (maybe even an eight one if the Pra_Mai rumor is Plusle & Minun). So in Brawl, Pokémon does have the most characters.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Not to mention when counting transformation, Pokémon already has six characters and planned to have a seventh one in Mewtwo (maybe even an eight one if the Pra_Mai rumor is Plusle & Minun). So in Brawl, Pokémon does have the most characters.
I'm pretty sure that Pra_Mai is just the random button, so I believe that Sakarai intended to have 5 each for Pokemon,Zelda,and Mario

D

Deleted member

So in Brawl, if everything went according to plan, Mario would have gotten a fifth character, Zelda would have gotten seven and Pokémon would have gotten seven or (in the off-chance) eight characters. Overrepresentation is an issue for the Big Three (specifically Mario and Pokémon where Sakurai expressed concern about them), but considering that Sakurai planned to have five Mario, seven Zelda and seven/eight Pokémons, I don't think Sakurai would consider that overrepresentation for Smash 4.

Thought I have noticed that if Brawl roster + Mewtwo with new form as transformation occurs, it would gives us a total of eight Pokémon characters. Given that I expect to see Mewtwo with new form as transformation, I'm definitely not seeing a sixth slot opening up for the franchise.
It hasn't been disclosed when Namco and Sakurai/Nintendo started negotiations, it really could be anywhere from slightly after E3 2011 to slightly before Uprising released. My (totally random) guess would be in late 2011.
Fair enough. I didn't expect negotiation to take that long for a game, although I don't really know much about negotiation in general.
Thanks. Kinda need that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fair enough. I didn't expect negotiation to take that long for a game, although I don't really know much about negotiation in general
Well, negotiations and setting a contract is different than actually starting development. The paperwork could've been done much earlier, with the actual physical development not starting until both groups were ready, at a later date. Just a guess though, we don't really have much to go on here.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure that Pra_Mai is just the random button, so I believe that Sakarai intended to have 5 each for Pokemon,Zelda,and Mario
It literally cannot be the Random button.

-The file is in "character effects". The Random selection would go into something like "modules" or whatever the select screen icons are in the data.
-The "each player" translation is horribly flawed. "Player" in Japanese is "purēyā" or "pureiyā" which CANNOT be shortened with "Pra". It would be "Pre" or "Prei". Or even "Prey" (though that would raise a bunch of Falco jokes....).
-The file wouldn't even be Romanized in such a way to begin with. The file name would simply be "random".
-Even if it was a Romanization, it wouldn't be "pra_mai", it would be "omakase", the kanji used for the Random button in the Japanese version of the game.

While "pra_mai" being Plusle & Minun also has it's share of questionability, it sure as Hell makes a lot more sense than saying it's the Random button. Whoever initially came up with that concept deserves an epic facepalm delivered to their own face.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
i'll post a new roster soon because now i feel like it thanks to you guys |:

Also yeah Sonic New World does look good. SONIC XTREME/GALAXY... Yeah I'm excited.

I think the thing with overrepresentation on the big three is also that it has to be interesting and fitting. There's problems with all three, really. Mario can have Toad, Bowser Jr, or Paper Mario but it has a problem of having a hard to decide factor (To this day I'm still on the fence about all three, especially the former two), Zelda does a lot of Flavor of the Week, and Pokemon already has a lot: Really just keep the same as Brawl's roster and add Mewtwo

Personally, I'd say add nobody to Zelda (Or maybe Toon Zelda/Tetra; I wouldn't mind that), bring back Mewtwo, and throw in one of the three for Mario. That sounds pretty fair.

edit: also while PT is technically three characters its also technically not since switching needs to happen quite a bit when using them

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I personally believe that pra_mai is Plusle & Minun. It makes a whole lot of sense for Sakurai to simply replace Pichu with Plusle & Minun. They would be like two Pichus together as a team... and if they were separated, electric attacks would hurt themselves much like Pichu in Melee.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The biggest reason why I don't think it was Plusle and Minum is because it would give Pokemon 6 reps while Zelda and Mario only had 5. It's a bit overbalancing I would think.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there something also about how it can't be Plusle and Minun because the two are romanized differently? Or at least, something similar to that?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wasn't there something also about how it can't be Plusle and Minun because the two are romanized differently? Or at least, something similar to that?

That's basically one of two reasons why Pra_Mai being Plusle & Minun is faulty, the other reason being that it's regulated to a single file unlike say the Ice Climbers where the character models (Popo and Nana) are separate.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
That's basically one of two reasons why Pra_Mai being Plusle & Minun is faulty, the other reason being that it's regulated to a single file unlike say the Ice Climbers where the character models (Popo and Nana) are separate.
Is there any data inside the file that people have looked at? Or is it just an empty folder?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Is there any data inside the file that people have looked at? Or is it just an empty folder?
All files correlating to the Forbidden 7 are empty, aside from the names of each respective character. However, it's worth noting that Roy and Mewtwo have unused unique victory jingles, and the latter also has an unused classic mode ending image.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Any links to those?
For the unique victory theme thing.

snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLUCARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK

However, I cannot find information regarding to the scrapped image. Maybe that was a fluke on my part. However, there are placeholder images for trophies from Melee that depict several characters, though that's probably nothing to look into deeply.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
For the unique victory theme thing.

snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLUCARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK

However, I cannot find information regarding to the scrapped image. Maybe that was a fluke on my part. However, there are placeholder images for trophies from Melee that depict several characters, though that's probably nothing to look into deeply.
Has anyone made it so we can hear the themes or nope

I'm just curious but oh well

D

Deleted member

Golden briefly theorized it was an Animal Crossing character, but quickly shot that down. Aside from that, nothing out of the ordinary.
My new theory is that if it isn't Plusle & Minun, it was to be some original character that would have had essentially Sonic's role as the last-minute savior and the one who sneak attacks Tabuu to weaken him. This is of course implying that the character would have been in place of Sonic had he not been added late in development.
Given that there is a missing character between R.O.B. and Jigglypuff, the start of the lower priority characters, this could easily be the case.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea I agree. I wouldn't want to replace Ike. I'm all for Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom. But that is probably too much.

D

Deleted member

Good roster, although I do have a few suggestions:
- Drop Dillon. While he might have been one of the more notable faces of downloadable games for Nintendo, he's not that important of a character.
- Drop Mii. Mii's were rejected by Sakurai back in pre-Brawl. Even with them being as famous as they are, Sakurai wanted to avoid making Brawl more casual than it was and I don't think that has changed.
- Put Ike back on the roster. There really is no reason why Ike should get replaced; especially when he was extremely well-received (more than even Roy, who did really well) and was the Lord of two games.
- Drop a third-party. I'd suggest keeping Mega Man and choosing between either Lloyd Irving or Layton. The five you've mentioned are all realistic choices, but considering how hard it is to add third-parties, five just isn't going to hapen.

D

Deleted member

>Says Dillon is not that important of a character.
>Suggests Isaac or Saki to replace him.

Ok...

Pretty sure neither of the three would qualify as "important" to include.

D

Deleted member

Well, what's wrong with that? :?:

Atleast Isaac is better than Dillon, I think.
Being "better" is subjective.
However, the case is for "importance".

When it comes down to it, neither of the three mentioned characters can be considered "important".
EDIT: Maybe to their own series, they can be "important", but even then, Dillon is more important to his series than Isaac and Saki are to theirs.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Considering Saki and Isa come from awesome games i dont blame you. It's a shame how well the assist's for them and Isaac fit.

also i got bored

asides from kirby every series got a newcomer

oh, throw in palutena there, i forgot here. Also, Ridley and K. Rool should be noted as unlockables. I think other then that and maybe a bit too many characters I did a good job

I'll probably do something super awesome in Photoshop after the reveal.

Scratch that one more change I need to make

You updated your rooster? This is clearly off topic :troll:

this isn't a roster anymore, it's a rooster. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At least Isaac is better than Dillon, I think.
I'll disagree on that one, but mainly due to the subject of cosmetics. Call it bias, but Dillon does appear to be more distinctive then Isaac, with the main niche being a character influenced by the old west. However comparing them from a combat standpoint is not straight forward considering they don't fight in the same way, Dillon mixing rolling and claw based combat while Isaac uses Venus based Psynergy and swordplay.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not bad.
Only thing that I would have a problem with is replacing Ike with Chrom.
Especially since their Aether's are different from each other.
I was iffy on replacing Ike or any character to begin with. After I heard that Chrom learns Aether I figured it could be a done deal, but it was a last minute decision on my part too.

Good roster, although I do have a few suggestions:
- Drop Dillon. While he might have been one of the more notable faces of downloadable games for Nintendo, he's not that important of a character. I'd suggest replacing him with Isaac or Saki or dropping him entirely.
Isaac and Saki don't represent what Dillon does in my Roster.
- Drop Mii. Mii's were rejected by Sakurai back in pre-Brawl. Even with them being as famous as they are, Sakurai wanted to avoid making Brawl more casual than it was and I don't think that has changed.
We can't be certain on that, but I will consider this. I've been finding other ways this "Custom" Experience would act.
- Put Ike back on the roster. There really is no reason why Ike should get replaced; especially when he was extremely well-received (more than even Roy, who did really well) and was the Lord of two games.
This was a last minute decision on my part. Ike will probably show up again after E3.
- Drop a third-party. I'd suggest keeping Mega Man and choosing between either Lloyd Irving or Layton. The five you've mentioned are all realistic choices, but considering how hard it is to add third-parties, five just isn't going to hapen.
I suppose your right. If I cut one it'll have to be Layton sadly, a Namco rep is too likely.

You updated your rooster? This is clearly off topic :troll:
noh man is not rooster is roooster

I appreciate all of your feedback and expect an updated list after E3.

EDIT: Sorry FalKoopa I missed your post.
@AEM

What Golden said. I'm also a bit iffy on Muddy Mole and Layton.
I'm more confident in Muddy considering that we're getting our first Handheld Smash Brothers. It would be a great time to add a GameBoy rep in, especially one that Sakurai has mentioned for both of the previous ones.
Layton is iffy, yeah but he makes more sense than any other Third Party character that doesn't belong to Capcom or Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom