• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
And I am not trying to attack your concerns, so I hope you don't feel I am. If you are not willing to continue this discussion after much longer though, I will respect your wishes and leave it at this post.

No problem. And thank you as well. It's also been a while since I had a good debate with someone. We may disagree with each other's viewpoints, but we're at least able to discuss them like gentlemen.
Good stuff Golden, but none of it really clears up any of the doubts in my mind. The evidence IMO of her being dismissed still outweighs the evidence of her being legitimately considered. It just clicks better in my mind rather than looking for all the possible loop holes/doubts (there are some and I believe you found most if not all of them) in character selection. I do think she's a candidate even if she just narrowly missed getting officially de-comfirmed.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
i'm pretty sure 90% of all video game creators (not including FPS games) would like their characters in Smash
I can't lie, whenever I make it as a game (Which I hope I do), Ralikard and his summon Ikkilnis would probably be one of the most amazing things to happen to a fighting game.

Now I have to make it on a Nintendo system

D

Deleted member

DAMN IT. My post is gone. Not bothering to re-type it.
shinpichu said:
It's when a character has 2 or more selectable movesets. CvS1&2, KoF '98, and GGXX AC+ have good examples of what an EX character is. Basically, when you're picking a character, you hold down a button(usually Start) and you get a different moveset.
That clear things up. Now that I know, I really would rather not have them in...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That clear things up. Now that I know, I really would rather not have them in...
To each their own I guess. Personally, it seems like a great way to solve the clone "issue" by giving characters who are currently seen as clones a new default moveset, but letting them keep their old clone moveset as an EX mode.

volbound1700

Smash Master
NES Kid Icarus wasn't really popular. Otherwise it probably would have been a long-running series along with Metroid, Zelda, Kirby and Mario.
It was reasonably popular and actually had a sequel on Gameboy.

Also @ NEON, I wasn't saying that was his competition, I am just saying I don't think he is "Very Likely" as shortie indicated in his poll. At best he is at "There is a chance."

When did this happen?

And yeah, Takamaru's a contender, sure, but I wouldn't think a very high probable one.
This is EXACTLY what I am trying to say. People act like Takamaru is a lock. To me, Mewtwo, Ridley, Little Mac,and King K Rool are the closiest thing to a lock. Megaman is very close but isn't on that because he is 3rd party and we never truely know about 3rd party.

I also feel that Palutena, Bowser Jr., Dixie Kong, Roy, Chrom, Dr. Mario, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Isaac, Shulk, Saki, and even Pac-Man have better chances than Takamaru. Even Pichu in my mind has better chances since he was in Melee.

Would Takamaru be a good add to the game? Probably. I would likely enjoy playing as him, he sounds unique.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No one said Takamaru is shoo-in. But the fact remains that he is the most popular of the retro candidates, and arguably the best choice as well. That's all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would say the most popular would be Duck Hunt Dog if you account for hype. He would bring the most hype as nearly every NES owner had Duck Hunt and was annoyed at that dog laughing at them. We may be getting too far out for that crowd to really be interested in Smash now though as we are several generations away from NES days.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I would say the most popular would be Duck Hunt Dog if you account for hype. He would bring the most hype as nearly every NES owner had Duck Hunt and was annoyed at that dog laughing at them. We may be getting too far out for that crowd to really be interested in Smash now though as we are several generations away from NES days.
LOL not even. duck hunt is not even that popular IMO

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
>Duck Hunt Dog
>Hype

Not sure how many would be "hyped" to see him. Atleast he isn't popular on SmashBoards.

Though I had an NES and Duck Hunt, but he's probably last on my list of wanted retros.... >_>

volbound1700

Smash Master
LOL not even. duck hunt is not even that popular IMO
That is because his heyday was before you were even born. Must be sad missing out on the NES era. We also had the best cartoons such as Ghostbusters and TMNT.

>Duck Hunt Dog
>Hype

Not sure how many would be "hyped" to see him. Atleast he isn't popular on SmashBoards.

Though I had an NES and Duck Hunt, but he's probably last on my list of wanted retros.... >_>
Why is he in Crusade and Takamaru is not? There is hype. I remember he got even more hype for Brawl back in the day. The problem is, it is mostly from the 20 something American crowd.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing is, Sakurai is going to include a retro character. He already said as much. That designates at least one spot on the roster for a new retro character. Out of the remaining retro characters, Sakurai also said this character would be capable of having a series revival, like Kid Icarus. Most retro characters, like Bubbles, Excitebiker, Urban Champion, even Balloon Fighter are much more arcade-styled games than plot-based or adventure-ish games, and give very little to work with, expansion-wise. Really the only two notable series left that could theoretically fleshed out are Nazo no Murasamejo and Mach Rider (and StarTropics, but that isn't going to happen, so I don't count it). Those series also have two characters among the few retro characters left not rejected by Sakurai at one point, which does give them an edge over other retros.

Now, from those two, Takamaru has a noticeable amount of popularity (for a retro) - which apparently was a factor in Pit's inclusion, and has made several reappearances as of late, including a major one with Nintendo Land, as his series was put on par with series such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. Sure, it might not be that significant for another series to have this distinction, most times cameos or minor appearances (like Takamaru's other recent appearances) don't really amount to much, but as retros have very little to go on anyway, things like this are a big deal for them.

Also, it's not just that Takamaru has positive factors for his inclusion, it's also that his retro competition really doesn't have that much. Mach Rider's series could be expanded upon, but he really doesn't have too much popularity, and hasn't received too much attention from Nintendo lately. However, he is probably the second most likely retro character, but really the chances of him making it in over Takamaru are fairly slim. Balloon Fighter is the other retro who gets brought up occasionally, and his games have been highlighted recently by Nintendo, but his series is fairly static and not open to too much expansion, and he was previously turned down by Sakurai. Ofc Sakurai could change his opinion, it's been over a decade, but as there is no evidence of such, BF still caries that negative stigma.

Considering Sakurai also said Takamaru could very well show up in Smash in the future, a statement more positive than most retros get, it stands to reason that due to a mix of positive factors in Takamaru's favour, and really nothing that benefits his competition to any great extent, he's the obvious most likely retro choice. Is he the only choice? No, there is a chance another character could get in over him, but considering who's in the running, and considering Sakurai, I wouldn't say it's too likely.

FourStar

Smash Ace
That is because his heyday was before you were even born. Must be sad missing out on the NES era. We also had the best cartoons such as Ghostbusters and TMNT.
trust me i have nes and snes. i know what you mean. but i would rather have other games that are not weird like duck hunt

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People aware of a character =/= people want or will be hyped by that character

Why is he in Crusade and Takamaru is not? There is hype. I remember he got even more hype for Brawl back in the day. The problem is, it is mostly from the 20 something American crowd.
That is a terrible argument. By that logic we should get Chun-Li over like Bowser. DHD really doesn't have too much hype.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing is, Sakurai is going to include a retro character. He already said as much. That designates at least one spot on the roster for a new retro character. Out of the remaining retro characters, Sakurai also said this character would be capable of having a series revival, like Kid Icarus. Most retro characters, like Bubbles, Excitebiker, Urban Champion, even Balloon Fighter are much more arcade-styled games than plot-based or adventure-ish games, and give very little to work with, expansion-wise. Really the only two notable series left that could theoretically fleshed out are Nazo no Murasamejo and Mach Rider (and StarTropics, but that isn't going to happen, so I don't count it). Those series also have two characters among the few retro characters left not rejected by Sakurai at one point, which does give them an edge over other retros.
Balloon Fighter is basically a person with balloons, I think he could fit well in Smash. All you have to do is limit the amount of jumps he does.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Is volbound really insisting that the dog from Duck Hunt will bring in hype? What kind of dimwit would really think that kind of character would receive a lot of excitement in any shape or form?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Balloon Fighter is basically a person with balloons, I think he could fit well in Smash. All you have to do is limit the amount of jumps he does.
I admit that Balloon Fighter can work. But the point is whether Sakurai thinks the same.

volbound1700

Smash Master
People aware of a character =/= people want or will be hyped by that character

That is a terrible argument. By that logic we should get Chun-Li over like Bowser. DHD really doesn't have too much hype.
Trust me, most people in my generation would be far more excited about Duck Hunt Dog. We all remember the annoying Dog. He is memed all over the internet. Sonic for Hire, Red vs. Blue, tons of series reference him. Simpsons have even referenced Duck Hunt Dog. Sorry Takamaru is not on that level.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not arguing if Balloon Fighter can work or not, personally I think he can. Like FalKoopa said, it's what Sakurai thinks.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Trust me, most people in my generation would be far more excited about Duck Hunt Dog. We all remember the annoying Dog. He is memed all over the internet. Sonic for Hire, Red vs. Blue, tons of series reference him. Simpsons have even referenced Duck Hunt Dog. Sorry Takamaru is not on that level.
Is there Duck Hunt Virtual Console? Can you use the Wii Remote to shoot ducks?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Memetic status doesn't affect likeliness in the slightest. Otherwise Waluigi would be playable in Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People in your generation haven't been the main demographic in a long time. Secondly, and again, just because people KNOW a character doesn't mean people WANT a character. It's Pac-Man all over again, except some people actually want Pac-Man. If all DHD has going for him is nostalgia, that's not a positive. If people really wanted DHD, no matter how old they are, he would have a noticeable amount of requests. He has very few, including people from your generation.

How well known he is yet how little he is requested should be a testament to how many people actually want him.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
People in your generation haven't been the main demographic in a long time. Secondly, and again, just because people KNOW a character doesn't mean people WANT a character. It's Pac-Man all over again, except some people actually want Pac-Man. If all DHD has going for him is nostalgia, that's not a positive. If people really wanted DHD, no matter how old they are, he would have a noticeable amount of requests. He has virtually none, including people from your generation.

How well known he is yet how little he is requested should be a testament to how many people actually want him.
I'm pretty tired of using the Ice Climber argument here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Duck Hunt Dog seems more appropriate in a Dunk Hunt based stage if you ask me. You know... Having him laugh at you whenever you get KO'd and all. Pissing the player off. etc etc.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Except no one was arguing about how popular the Ice Climbers were before they got into Melee and how everyone would be so hyped to get them, because guess what, they weren't.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Except that Sakurai viewed Ice Climbers in a positive light. On the contrary, we have absolutely no evidence of Sakurai saying ANYTHING similar on DHD, and we should NOT rely on assumptions.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Memetic status doesn't affect likeliness in the slightest. Otherwise Waluigi would be playable in Brawl.
Waluigi was never on the Simpson or other common American television culture nor has he become a part of our culture. Duck Hunt Dog is one of the images of video games.

Also he frequently appears on IGN and Gamespy polls as the most annoying video character and a top memorable NES character.

People in your generation haven't been the main demographic in a long time. Secondly, and again, just because people KNOW a character doesn't mean people WANT a character. It's Pac-Man all over again, except some people actually want Pac-Man. If all DHD has going for him is nostalgia, that's not a positive. If people really wanted DHD, no matter how old they are, he would have a noticeable amount of requests. He has very few, including people from your generation.

He is demanded and there is a thread here as there was a demand in Brawl.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Obviously, America is the center of the world. It's as if we compared the countries to a solar system, where America is the Sun and the remainder of the countries were planets orbiting around it.

Naturally, Duck Hunt Dog being graced of an allusion in The Simpsons, an American show broadcast throughout many TV networks around the world, is indeed a testimony of the character's importance and, therefore, Sakurai will take Duck Hunt Dog's allusion in The Simpsons with great consideration and add Duck Hunt Dog in Super Smash Bros. 4, given how such an immense icon in video game history deserves to be in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Waluigi was never on the Simpson or other common American television culture nor has he become a part of our culture.
Except Sakurai doesn't give much priority to Western popularity. :p

If btw you think Waluigi isn't memetic, you're not a true netizen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Duck Hunt Dog is probably the only interesting character in the Duck Hunt game. We have no choice Falkoopa.
We have the ducks. A character which can glide, peck, have upto 5 jumps, attack with sharp claws etc. Considering that droppings would be its Down B, how can it NOT be interesting? :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Waluigi was never on the Simpson or other common American television culture nor has he become a part of our culture. Duck Hunt Dog is one of the images of video games.

Also he frequently appears on IGN and Gamespy polls as the most annoying video character and a top memorable NES character.
Do you have any idea how little American television culture will affect the roster?

Again, people know a character =/= people want a character.

The demographic that grew up with DHD is quickly leaving the gaming scene. If Sakurai really wanted to hit a chord with those who grew up with him, he'd be included by now. He definitely would've been included over Ice Climbers and Pit. He's more iconic than either of them.

He is demanded and there is a thread here as there was a demand in Brawl.
lol

volbound1700

Smash Master
Except Sakurai doesn't give much priority to Western popularity. :p

If btw you think Waluigi isn't memetic, you're not a true netizen.
I never said Waluigi wasn't, I am just saying you don't see much reference to him in pop culture.

Perhaps you are right in that Japan may not have an interest in DHD but it would create hype her.

Not to be mean but when it comes to the video game industry there is pretty much Japan, the US, and everyone else. The other markets pale in comparison to Japan and US (and perhaps South Korea but that is a non-factor to Nintendo). I agree that other cultures should be taken into affect but when it comes to Nintendo, it always seems like it is Japan first, US second, Everyone else third.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Or you could rep Duck Hunt with other things, like a Ducks AT or the Zapper becoming an item. It doesn't NEED a character.
Well Duck Hunt Dog is probably the most iconic character, just because of his silly laugh.
We hardly have those kinds of characters, not even Ice Climbers has a famous thing said or done in the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We really need to start educating people that some characters can also be represented in smash besides being playable and that it's not the only option available for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom