• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why the hell are you morons talking cuts like they'll only happen to one franchise=???

Man you guys aren't that bright.

You're talking as if that is the only way it happens, which is 100% wrong.
I don't know, Jiggly seems to me that she would be the one to be cut, just because of everyone else's overall importance and she doesn't have much.
You cut the worst designed characters, not the best designed characters. That's how game design works. That's when Ryu is in every Street Fighter game, but a bunch of random scrubs from Street Fighter I are not.

ROB's design sucks the most, therefore, if a cut is needed, cut ROB. No one loves a character that is are stalling and camping friendly, and no character personifies that or encourages that quite as much as R.O.B. Plus, his design is super generic and uninspired, just like the rest of that craptacular game we call "Brawl".

And if you don't cut ROB, look at other poorly designed characters like Lucario, Ganondorf (he's just a brain dead version of Captain Falcon), King Dedede (fat, puffy, pokes, stalling, and grabs, that's it), Meta Knight (everything is broken) or the Pokémon Trainer (or just split the Pokémon up).

However, the best move is just to fix all those characters and then add newcomers.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
R.O.B., again, is not a likely cut.

Sakurai could easily revamp R.O.B. And again, I don't see R.O.B. getting cut due to it's importance to Nintendo's history. Moveset is not a good reason for a character to be cut, except for the case of certain clones. I know there will be cuts, but I don't see R.O.B. getting cut.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
R.O.B., again, is not a likely cut.
He's probably one of the more likely potential cut characters that people don't talk about. Unlike G&W and the Ice Climbers, he doesn't really have much of a fanbase or userbase, and he really is disliked as a playable character due to his boring nature and the fact a lot of his players are campy little beaches (or as we call it, the beloved Brawlers who don't know what the word "brawl" even means).

I would dare say that R.O.B. is a more likely cut than Wolf. At least Wolf showed potential to be an amazing playable character.

Also if moveset didn't matter, then how come the one non-clone that was cut from Melee to Brawl had the worst moveset=??? Answer me that riddle.
You must be new.

(You'd think people would of gotten the hint by now...)
And yet these people continue to be a cancer to the Smash Boards.
I would never get used to Kawashima in Smash for a number a reasons.
The biggest reason being that there are hundreds of better potential playable characters.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
He's probably one of the more likely potential cut characters that people don't talk about. Unlike G&W and the Ice Climbers, he doesn't really have much of a fanbase or userbase, and he really is disliked as a playable character due to his boring nature and the fact a lot of his players are campy little beaches (or as we call it, the beloved Brawlers who don't know what the word "brawl" even means).

I would dare say that R.O.B. is a more likely cut than Wolf. At least Wolf showed potential to be an amazing playable character.

Also if moveset didn't matter, then how come the one non-clone that was cut from Melee to Brawl had the worst moveset=??? Answer me that riddle.
ROB has a big part of Nintendo history, I don't think he's going anywhere, and Mewtwo did not have one of the worst movesets, I'd say he had one of the best.

Gune

Smash Lord
If we're talking Starfox characters then I actually think they are all pretty much safe.
Id say wolf or falco are in danger more likely wolf the franchise hasn't really made any progress since brawl even then they didn't have any progress which is sad because all the other original characters franchises have.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
It wouldn't be weird to see an update on monday, but Im not gonna hold my breathe this time. Sakurai is notorious for doing something consistent 2 or 3 times, making you think theres a pattern, and then when its apparently understood, the pattern goes away.

That being said, theres most likely going to be another update this month and a Pokemon reveal is probably a good idea

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Why the hell are you morons talking cuts like they'll only happen to one franchise=???

Man you guys aren't that bright.

You're talking as if that is the only way it happens, which is 100% wrong.

You cut the worst designed characters, not the best designed characters. That's how game design works. That's when Ryu is in every Street Fighter game, but a bunch of random scrubs from Street Fighter I are not.

ROB's design sucks the most, therefore, if a cut is needed, cut ROB. No one loves a character that is are stalling and camping friendly, and no character personifies that or encourages that quite as much as R.O.B. Plus, his design is super generic and uninspired, just like the rest of that craptacular game we call "Brawl".

And if you don't cut ROB, look at other poorly designed characters like Lucario, Ganondorf (he's just a brain dead version of Captain Falcon), King Dedede (fat, puffy, pokes, stalling, and grabs, that's it), Meta Knight (everything is broken) or the Pokémon Trainer (or just split the Pokémon up).

However, the best move is just to fix all those characters and then add newcomers.
thank you, someone finally said it (took awhile:rolleyes:)
I agree with everything said here except for one thing, I don't think some of those characters actually have a chance to be cut. with the biggest one being Ganondorf though has probably the worst move set in the game (in my opinion), but has some major significance in the Zelda series and in Nintendo as a whole, he is also well like by many people too, its just too stupid to cut him and a few others (basically king dedede, R.O.B, and meta knight) in the end its just best to fix them up.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No let's cut all of them because clones and furries are stinky poop and I hate them and you should hate them too.
WELCOME TO SMASH BOARDS GAME FAQS!!! :awesome:
Id say wolf or falco are in danger more likely wolf the franchise hasn't really made any progress since brawl even then they didn't have any progress which is sad because all the other original characters franchises have.
Why in the name of the Holy Lord Valve does crap like this matter in regards to playable characters in smash=???

2007 logic stop being smart a long time ago. Get over it.

courte

Smash Lord
JohnKnight, your posts on this page have given me cancer. Like, hard cancer. Like WMD level cancer. Like, i'm african, but no one can make jokes about lions and AIDS because of my cancer being so stronk cancer.

Mewtwo announced for Project M so I think it's worth a

DOUBLE POST

btw, Who the hell would debate StarFox vs R.O.B.
The robot should simply not be talking about. Not good, not bad, just not talked about... Unless he's putting in work for CAPTAIN N THE GAME MASTER

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
thank you, someone finally said it (took awhile:rolleyes:)
I agree with everything said here except for one thing, I don't think some of those characters actually have a chance to be cut. with the biggest one being Ganondorf though has probably the worst move set in the game (in my opinion), but has some major significance in the Zelda series and in Nintendo as a whole, he is also well like by many people too, its just too stupid to cut him and a few others (basically king dedede and meta knight) in the end its just best to fix them up.
I didn't say that any of them are likely to be cut, only that if there are cuts, that should be the pool of potential characters if I was Smash Director.

And yeah, fixing them would be the best thing to do.

courte

Smash Lord
Captain N, with a moveset composed of physical peripherals and memorable characters who don't merit a slot.
Duck Hunt Dog, Virtual Boy, Throwing DIskun/Famicon disc, Power Glove, R.O.B. relegated to some sort of explosive helper bot.

Your thoughts and ideas people?

allow me to clarify. I'm not asking if you think is a character worthy of a spot. If that's what you want to reply regarding simply hate me silently for 3 and a half minutes.

I'm asking for a bit of a short workshop. It could be fun no? If there was one character to represented multiple parts of Nintendo, what would you want given a chance at a spotlight in this theoretical moveset?
And for anyone who loves R.O.B., that is simply my opinion. I did not bring up to debate his inclusion. My personal philosophy is that anyone not announced is up in the air. That way I'm not disappointed. I didn't do it to offend R.O.B. please don't lose sight and make this about something else. [which has been rehashed and revisited on a daily if not weekly basis.]

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain N, with a moveset composed of physical peripherals and memorable characters who don't merit a slot.
Duck Hunt Dog, Virtual Boy, Throwing DIskun/Famicon disc, Power Glove, R.O.B. relegated to some sort of explosive helper bot.

Your thoughts and ideas people?
Not keen.

Because R.O.B is already a character and his downgrade would be pretty irritating to those who enjoy playing him, Duck Hunt Dog isn't exactly a move(unless you pull a Toad counter) and Captain N isn't really a video game character as far as I'm aware.

courte

Smash Lord
Not keen.

Because R.O.B is already a character and his downgrade would be pretty irritating to those who enjoy playing him, Duck Hunt Dog isn't exactly a move(unless you pull a Toad counter) and Captain N isn't really a video game character as far as I'm aware.
I edited it too late but please reread my original post :D

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
I made these rosters as a kind of 'want' roster. For these first two, I gave myself the requirement of including all confirmed characters, but other than that, they were designed to appeal to the most people possible. There is a slight bias to my own wants, but where I did not include a character for that reason, I tried to make it up with a substitution that would be acceptable to all parties.

There are two rosters: one has Pokemon Trainer, and the other does not. I think since Pokemon Trainer is three move sets, it is worthwhile to consider the roster both with and without his presence.

There are not really any threads for a roster like this, so I just made my own. If it is unacceptable, please move this post to the correct thread, as judged by the moderator(s).

Some notes: Marth will have a costume for Lucina. Chrom will play similarly to and have a costume for Ike. Zelda and Impa will have a costume for OoT/TP Zelda and Sheik. Pikachu will have a costume for Pachirisu. I'm open to other alternate costumes as well. Anna will use a lance. I personally hope there are DLC characters for years, and all this argument over who should get in will be moot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well you think it would look stupid, that's your viewpoint. Sakurai wouldn't immediately throw off the idea because he is based on a real life person, I don't really see him thinking that way.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Well when someone asked me question "There has to be 4 reps for Pokemon who do you think will get cut?"

All I will say "Pikachu will stay." <- FACT

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

You just pointed out exactly why R.O.B is staying. There's no character who can camp and stall as much as R.O.B, which makes him unique. That's one of the things Sakurai clearly puts a lot of emphasis on, unless he wants to add last minute clones. I'm sure he doesn't care that Random Internet Guy #114783 hates R.O.B, because plenty of people love him, and he's very unique, so there's no reason to cut him just because someone has a grudge against him.

Same for Lucario, he is pretty much the only risk=reward character on the roster, Sakurai doesn't care if Random Internet Guy #255167 hates him and would rather have Mewtwo, Lucario is exactly one of the hardest characters to play because there's so much at risk when playing him. So again, very unique.

Dedede is by no means a poorly designed character either, in fact he's one of the best designed Brawl newcomers. Dedede's playstyle is exactly that of a bully, which fits his personality very much, so he bullies you with his pokes, long range and Waddle Dees. Falls right in place with his personality, and no character can or does play like him. The chain grabbing is pretty stupid, but that's one of Brawl's general faults, not one specific to Dedede, and even then he's hardly the biggest violator of this when we have Pikachu and Ice Climbers on the roster. Sakurai surely doesn't care that Random Internet Guy #93671 acts like his opinion equals facts regarding this character.

Meta Knight just needs nerfs, this has nothing to do with his design, but just with the poor balancing.

Pokémon Trainer is a bit of a 50/50 situation. The idea is great, having 3 characters in one, one light, one medium, and one heavy. The faulty design aspect of this is the slow changing and stamina, and again a matter of poor balancing. The characters' movesets work great in contrast with each other, and with some fine tuning he'll be a great character. Seperating them is not a good idea, since it strips the character from what makes him unique. Charizard is just another heavy weight that is best on ground, we have Bowser for that, and Squirtle is just another fast light weight character, we have Pikachu and Diddy Kong for that, except Squirtle is missing the neat banana tricks and Pikachu's stage control. Ivysaur is probably the one who fares best on his own in terms of uniqueness. Seperately the characters are incredibly generic, but together they make an incredibly interesting character. Plus, otherwise we'd have a huge over-representation of Pokémon characters, and the whole character would likely just be cut in favor of only having Charizard.

And Ganondorf, well, yeah, no one can argue against that, he needs to break free from his Falcon taint.

What I'm getting at is that none of these characters are poorly designed with the exception of Ganondorf and partly Pokémon Trainer. Some of them are made to be tedious to play against (and even then Diddy Kong is the most annoying out of them all), but just because of that doesn't mean they are poorly designed. Some of them simply need a little tweaking, and they're ready to go. While you might find R.O.B to be a super generic and uninspired character others find him super entertaining. I personally find Mr. Game & Watch and Toon Link incredibly bland to play, but I acknowledge others love playing as them. Don't go around spewing out like your opinions are facts, that's what GameFAQs and 4Chan is for.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well you think it's it would look stupid, that's your viewpoint. Sakurai wouldn't immediately throw off the idea because he is based on a real life person, I don't really see him thinking that way.
I would see him, however, discarding the idea of adding a FREAKING FLOATING DISEMBODIED HEAD as a playable character. This is Smash Bros, not any of those weird ass Japanese arcade games.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Obscure characters are a once a game thing. Just because they are obscure or unique is not going to get them into Smash (sorry, but seeing all of these random characters is making me facepalm. Harry, Kawashima, and many others have left me scratching my head.) Even if they have a slim chance, only one of them would be getting in anyway.

Random probably, but seriously. Enough with the ridiculously obscure or random characters. Like N64 logo? Really guys? It isn't going to happen. Why would it EVER happen? There isn't a reason for it. I'm not even going to talk about it because it isn't worth the time. Sheesh.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Obscure characters are a once a game thing. Just because they are obscure or unique is not going to get them into Smash (sorry, but seeing all of these random characters is making me facepalm. Harry, Kawashima, and many others have left me scratching my head.) Even if they have a slim chance, only one of them would be getting in anyway.

Random probably, but seriously. Enough with the ridiculously obscure or random characters. Like N64 logo? Really guys? It isn't going to happen. Why would it EVER happen? There isn't a reason for it. I'm not even going to talk about it because it isn't worth the time. Sheesh.
Eh, Dr. Kawashima is a different thing. He is from the popular NIntendo series Brain Age, it would kinda make sense to include along with Wii Fit Trainer. That would complete the casual series to me with the popular series Brain Age, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and Miis. So I wouldn't call him an obscure character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Director:"Hey would I suggest Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age, I think it would be as bizarre as Wii Fit Trainer."
Sakurai:"TOO BAD HE'S BASED ON A REAL LIFE PERSON, REJECTED!!!"
I just don't see Sakurai working like that.
I do. Not to mention there are plenty of other things he'd take into consideration. Such as that he's a floating head and that every character who is ACTUALLY a Nintendo character would be higher priority.

And why are we comparing him to Wii Fit Trainer? Wii Fit Trainer isn't weird in the slightest. She makes perfect sense and doesn't look weird when she fights in the game at all. Being unexpected is not the same thing as being weird or not making sense. Not to mention she's actually a Nintendo character.

Maybe base your decisions on how Sakurai and the audience sees things, not how you see things. You see things to make perfect sense as long as they represent a game and never realize that they are stupid, pointless, don't work, or aren't even a Nintendo character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom