• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPW

Smash Ace
Top 5 Newcomers i want to see in Smash:

1. Isaac
2. Alex(Golden Sun not the Advance Wars. I'll reckon he'll be an assist though. If i could make a moveset i'll probably make him the next Metaknight. I had this idea for the best Final Smash. It's basically 3 waterfalls coming out of the ground, 1 after the other each one higher than the last, you get pushed up into the air if you're in their range, and as you reach the third after that Alex turns into a Ice Formed Arrow and shoots up there in a diagonal motion and boom! YOU'RE DEAD!. I got the idea from Lost Age when he mocks the guards at the start.)
3. Little Mac (I think a boxer in Smash will be pretty awesome)
4. Shulk (I've grown to like him a lot in Xenoblade)
5. Megaman

a couple of newcomers i don't want to see in Smash:

1. Shadow the Hedgehog(I noticed a few pages someone said this guy is more popular. And i'm like since when. This guy has probably had the worst game in the whole Sonic series. In fact it's so bad there was not going to be a Shadow 2. The only cool thing about him is he's a darker shade of Sonic. Though he does have the best chance a least amount of work.)
2. Bowser Jr. (Give me the Koopa Kids over this guy any day. At least they had a sense of humour.)
3. Tingle (Just NO!!!! OKAY!!!!! Don't care how popular he is in Japan. He's a total freak here.

JPW

Smash Ace
Welp, this was fun. I tried to do this with as little bias as possible (I want Bowser Jr. over Toad, Victini over Zoroark). I also tried to make it with some cohesion so it looks legit. Credit to Oasis for the icons.

48 Characters (52 including transformations).

Newcomers:
Toad
King K. Rool
Isaac
Ridley
Little Mac
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Zoroark
Sukapon
Ray
Takamaru
Pacman

Roy makes a glorious return. As much as I wanted to add Mewtwo, I give Lucario the edge because his uniqueness and reception on the competitive scene.

For some reason Oasis didn't have a Pacman icon
i do like how you included Isaac. and Little Mac. And you kept Ike in. I think we will be seeing Krom in the roster. Fire Emblem: Awakening is becoming one of the most popular FE's to date. And with the fact most of us will be waiting next year it'll definitely build the hype and need to buy it. I know i'll be anticipating this.

I'm actually thinking of doing an ultimate dream roster. Everyone i want in in smash, rather than a realistic one next time. It'll probably have like 75 characters though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thanks so much! Kinda bummed no one has said anything about my roster yet, it took me a while.
Your roster is pretty good. Most of the typical and expected characters are there, although I don't think Sukapon and Ray (at the moment) are very likely. And I might consider putting a Kid Icarus newcomer on there, since there's a fairly good chance we'll get one. Plus Roy being there but Mewtwo not being there is kind of strange. Good roster overall though IMO.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Might as well show off my current/betting thread roster:

Made it before the whole Namco stuff, may change it if I get bored one day or if Toise gives a new betting deadline. Feel free to discuss.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Truthfully, Sakurai has probably already decided a good deal of the roster. Or at least narrowed it down. Like with Brawl, he might release the poll after he's already decided on the roster, and only have the characters in the tops spots be considered afterwards.
Sakurai probably had an idea who he wanted to add into Smash 4 by the end of Brawls development. I imagine he has a list of high priority characters, mid priority character, and low priority characters. The high priority characters are in it for sure while the mid to low priority are affected by either his staff, Nintendo, or by polls/surveys from fans.

And I have always wondered in Sakurai how often Sakurai sends spies into the Smash Bros. forums and fansites littered around the net in order to get an idea what people like/want. He has to have some way of knowing what Americans like or what Europeans like.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, naming my top 5 characters to RETURN! (no matter how obvious it is they'll return)

1.- Sonic
2.- Pokemon Trainer
3.- Mewtwo
4.- Pit
5.- ROB (I kinda warmed up to the guy)

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
Might as well show off my current/betting thread roster:

Made it before the whole Namco stuff, may change it if I get bored one day or if Toise gives a new betting deadline. Feel free to discuss.
Where did you get your icons?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Welp, this was fun. I tried to do this with as little bias as possible (I want Bowser Jr. over Toad, Victini over Zoroark). I also tried to make it with some cohesion so it looks legit. Credit to Oasis for the icons.

[COLLAPSE="ROSTER"]

[/COLLAPSE]

48 Characters (52 including transformations).

Newcomers:
Toad
King K. Rool
Isaac
Ridley
Little Mac
Starfy
Samurai Goroh
Zoroark
Sukapon
Ray
Takamaru
Pacman

Roy makes a glorious return. As much as I wanted to add Mewtwo, I give Lucario the edge because his uniqueness and reception on the competitive scene.

For some reason Oasis didn't have a Pacman icon
I like this a lot! I don't have objections to any of your characters. Except for maybe RAY, but that's only because I'm unfamiliar with the franchise :\

If I had my personal take, and it was only limited to 48-50, I'd replace Toon Link with Mask Link and add Chibi-Robo :) (and with Pac-Man that would make it an even 50!)

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
I like this a lot! I don't have objections to any of your characters. Except for maybe RAY, but that's only because I'm unfamiliar with the franchise :\

If I had my personal take, and it was only limited to 48-50, I'd replace Toon Link with Mask Link and add Chibi-Robo :) (and with Pac-Man that would make it an even 50!)
I appreciate that, and yea I'd have no objection to Chibi-Robo. I am unfamiliar with Mask Link tho. I was looking for someone new for Zelda but since I don't play the series I wasn't sure who to pick. How is Mask Link significant and would he be a (Luigified) clone still? EDIT: Nevermind, just read support thread. I like the concept.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate that, and yea I'd have no objection to Chibi-Robo. I am unfamiliar with Mask Link tho. I was looking for someone new for Zelda but since I don't play the series I wasn't sure who to pick. How is Mask Link significant and would he be a (Luigified) clone still? EDIT: Nevermind, just read support thread. I like the concept.
Always happy to help :)

Majora's Mask, the game in which that specific Link comes from, had four "transformation" masks in total. Three are of reoccurring races through the entire series. (Deku/Goron/Zora) [:

It works out because there's a "Small and Fast" "Big and Power" and a "Agile and Balanced" similar to Pokemon Trainer. and the Final Transformation mask in the game was the "Fierce Deity" Mask, which turned young link into an Adullt Link on Steroids, that could defeat bosses without even laying a blade on them... basically haha

It's a bummer he's not included in Polls/Rosters/etc.. because technically it IS Young Link with a brand new moveset. But that's why "Mask Link" is a good way to make him a seperate character. :) My reasoning to replace Toon Link is that unless the new 3DS game has that style, that last game to have had it was back in 2009; and if there's a Majora's Mask 3DS around that time... well you never know!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1: Tingle
2: MegaMan
3: Ridley
4: Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario
5: Pokemon Trainer remade(1st, 2nd, 3rd Gens) or Plusle & Minun... or Deoxys. Hard to choose.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I meant to make roster image to go along with the roster, but I'm lazy today.

This is my 53-characters biased roster - I made it based on my personal whims and not on what is necessarily logical. Thus, there are no third-party characters (don't care enough about them) and there are some very questionable choices.

Spoilers
= Indicates unlockable character

Super Mario
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Toad

Donkey Kong
  1. Donkey Kong
  2. Diddy Kong
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. King K. Rool

Wario
  1. Wario
  2. Captain Syrup

Yoshi
  1. Yoshi

Legend of Zelda
  1. Link
  2. Zelda / Sheik
  3. Ganondorf
  4. Toon Link

Metroid
  1. Samus
  2. Zero Suit Samus
  3. Ridley
To clarify, Samus and ZS Samus are still connected by Final Smash, but they can now be chosen separately on the character selection screen.

Kirby
  1. Kirby
  2. Metaknight
  3. King Dedede

Star Fox
  1. Fox
  2. Falco
  3. Wolf

Fire Emblem
  1. Marth
  2. Ike
  3. Roy

F-Zero
  1. Captain Falcon
  2. Samurai Goroh

Kid Icarus
  1. Pit
  2. Palutena

Mother
  1. Ness
  2. Lucas

Puzzle League
  1. Lip
  2. Dr. Mario

Pokemon
  1. Pikachu
  2. Jigglypuff
  3. Mewtwo
  4. Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
  5. Lucario
  6. Victini

Misc. Modern Franchises
  1. Olimar & Pikmin
  2. Little Mac
  3. Starfy
  4. Isaac
  5. Shulk
  6. Dillon

Retro Franchises
  1. Ice Climbers
  2. R.O.B.
  3. Mr. Game & Watch
  4. Sukapon
  5. Hunting Dog

EDITS:
1. Switched unlockable status from Starfy to Isaac. Now people would be debating over which blond-haired magic wielder would be in SSB4 all the way up to release. Heh heh.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Krom will be the FE character if there is one added. They are making a FE game for WiiU starring Krom, it's going to be classic Nintendo intergame marketing.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like your roster, JavaCroc. It's got Toad, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Palutena, Little Mac, Starfy, and Hunting Dog. :awesome:

I also agree with Jockmaster on the Krom thing. I really think Krom is the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer for SSB4. He's from a new Fire Emblem game that is not a remake. His game is well-received and I have no doubt Nintendo would want to capitalize on the success and popularity of Fire Emblem 13 by putting Krom in SSB4. It worked well for Ike and Fire Emblem 9 in Brawl, didn't it?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Does anyone think they'll be exclusives for the 3ds/WiiU when it comes to characters because that is the only way I see certain characters ie:animal crossing boy/girl getting in.
Exclusive character are a strong possibility, although probably just a few.
I don't believe there will be version-exclusive characters, seeing as Sakurai wants the two versions to have some connectivity, including transferring character customization data from one version to the other.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
It worked well for Ike and Fire Emblem 9 in Brawl, didn't it?
Come to think of it, Roy was inserted in to Melee to advertise for FE: Fuin no Tsurugi in Japan also. There seems to almost be a pattern of putting the FE lord of the newest game in to the newest Smash game.

This is disappointing to me, considering I would have vastly preferred Hector, Jaffar, Ephraim, or the Black Knight, but Krom is eons better than Roy.

Come to think of it, Krom is probably the coolest lord in FE besides Hector and Ephraim.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Here's a roster image that I posted a couple weeks back, which is 3rd party free...

Roster

But if 3rd parties do manage to make their presence known, then I'd probably say...

*Sonic (SEGA)
*Black Mage (Square Enix)
*Mega Man (Capcom)
*Pac-Man (Namco Bandai)

Weight Scale
1: King K. Rool
2: Bowser
3-4: Donkey Kong, Emboar
5-7: Samus, Dark Samus, King Dedede
8-9: Ganondorf, Black Shadow
10-11: Samurai Goroh, Ike
12-14: Wario, Mewtwo, R.O.B.
15-17: Link, Captain Falcon, Mega Man
18-20: Ridley, Wolf, Palutena
21-22: Lucario, Zoroark
23-26: Mario, Yoshi, Luigi, Sonic
27-28: Little Mac, Takamaru
29-30: Isaac, Saki
31-33: Rosalina, Pit, Black Mage
34-35: Ness, Lucas
36-38: Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong
39-40: Toon Link, Ice Climbers
41-43: Peach, Leon, Marth
44-46: Falco, Servine, Pac-Man
47-48: Zelda, Impa
49-50: Meta Knight, Fox
51-53: Zero Suit Samus, Krystal, Pikachu
54-56: Kirby, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Ray Mk III
57-59: Oshawott, Olimar, Starfy
60: Mr. Game & Watch
61: Jigglypuff
.....why'd you nerf Yoshi's weight?

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
This is my 55-characters biased roster - I made it based on my personal whims and not on what is necessarily logical. Thus, there are no third-party characters (don't care enough about them) and there are some very questionable choices.

Spoilers
= Indicates unlockable character

Super Mario
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Toad
  6. Geno

Donkey Kong
  1. Donkey Kong
  2. Diddy Kong
  3. Dixie Kong

Wario
  1. Wario
  2. Mona

Yoshi
  1. Yoshi

Legend of Zelda
  1. Link
  2. Zelda / Sheik
  3. Ganondorf
  4. Ghirahim
  5. Toon Link

Metroid
  1. Samus
  2. Zero Suit Samus
  3. Ridley

Kirby
  1. Kirby
  2. Metaknight
  3. King Dedede
  4. Waddle Dee

Star Fox
  1. Fox
  2. Falco
  3. Wolf
  4. Krystal

Fire Emblem
  1. Marth
  2. Ike
  3. Krom

F-Zero
  1. Captain Falcon
  2. Jody Summer

Kid Icarus
  1. Pit
  2. Palutena

Mother
  1. Ness
  2. Lucas

Pokemon
  1. Pikachu
  2. Jigglypuff
  3. Staryu
  4. Genesect

Misc. Modern Franchises
  1. Olimar & Pikmin
  2. Little Mac
  3. Isaac
  4. Starfy
  5. Nintendog
  6. Shulk
  7. Dillon

Retro Franchises
  1. Ice Climbers
  2. R.O.B.
  3. Mr. Game & Watch
  4. Hunting Dog

[COLOR="Silver]Misc[/COLOR]
  1. Mii
Because Javacroc's roster was actually pretty awesome, I decided to use it and just change some things around to my personal preference. I know some choices are a little ridiculous and obviously not going to be in, but it's just my opinion!! :bee:

JPW

Smash Ace
Made a Dream Roster for fun. This is by no means my actual SSB4 roster. So don't make criticisms saying half of these don't have a chance because i know that. This is a dream roster so just take it as that.

what's the difference between Young Link and Toon Link? Well Young Link will have the 3 main Masks(Deku, Goron, Zoran). He'll switch masks the same way PT switch Pokemon. Each mask will be different with their moves and such. I heard this from Onyx Oblivion. And I actually think this would be pretty sweet too.

As you may have guessed i am a huge FE fan. We'll never see that many FE characters. But we can always dream.

I also threw in a few WTF.

They'll probably be an update on this. I wanted to throw in characters like Leon S. Kennedy, Nightmare, Saturos and Menardi. These came into my head as i was posting the roster. So i don't have time to go back and start over.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
^I would love that roster, being a pretty big fan of FE myself. Except I would replace Lyn and Micaiah with Jaffar and Leaf (I never liked any of the female main characters, especially Lyn).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I nerfed Yoshi's weight because he's never portrayed as being heavy in any of the Mario spin-offs. For example, in the Mario Kart series, Yoshi is always classified as either a lightweight or a middleweight.
Yeah,but when Yoshi is in a Mario spin-off,he is docile and friendly,this is why his weight is not to much.

But when it comes to smash,he becomes a hungry beast,and that is why he need a heavy weight on smash.

Also K.rool being more heavy than Bowser is laugheable.(he must be heavy than DK but not than Bowser)

Also,GGs for being a moderator :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Xiivi: I like it. However, I'd add two more slots. One for an F-Zero character, and the other for a Wario character. Then I'd say perfect. If not Wario(which is fine), put in Saki. But we really could use a second F-Zero character. It's severely underrepped now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also K.rool being more heavy than Bowser is laugheable.(he must be heavy than DK but not than Bowser)
It doesn't have to be by much though. In fact, the weight difference between K. Rool and Bowser could be made to be barely noticeable.

I basically just like to see at least one character surpass Bowser's weight, and King K. Rool seemed to be the best candidate for the job.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Been thinking about the possible newcomers... I am 90% certain these characters are shoe-ins: Little Mac, Krom, Zoroark, Palutena, Mii, Takamaru, Shulk

I am also 51% certain these characters would be playable: Toad, Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Pac-Man

I am hoping some of these unlikely characters would be playable: King Hippo, Starfy, Medusa, Meowth or Team Rocket, Duck Hunt Dog, Kiddy Kong (as Dixie Kong's tag team partner), Tingle, Masked Link, Slime or Chocobo & Slime, Simon Belmont, Muddy Mole, Captain N

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think by the end of the year Sakurai will probably have roster close to, if not already, wrapped up. I'd start looking at the characters that are in the pool now to get an idea of whom is likelier to be chosen.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that by 2013, it would be pointless to speculate any potential newcomers from games that are announced at E3 2013.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That is essentially why I don't put much stock in Miyamoto's "secret new IP" as playable. I don't see that game coming out early enough.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, I think so, too. The pool of newcomers we could plausibly speculate would be from major Nintendo titles that came out right after Brawl came out in Japan to the games that were announced at E3 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom