• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't understand why they (Mario series) keep on adding new power-ups when we have others performing the VERY SAME function.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I've never actually played Star Tropics. Might give it a spin when I have some spare time.
It has a lot of the most basic Zelda formula, but it plays out more like Indiana Jones than anything else.

I never liked Startopics, but that had more to do with the controls than anything else.
Me neither, some of the dungeon designs were cheap and the controls always felt weird, but one has to admit that it does have a lot of potential and it could get us out of the hole Zelda has arguably dug itself.

@Mario: Give me a Wart and Bowser team up, with levels switching from regular SMB and DDP and multiple playable characters.

D

Deleted member

Mario is stagnating really badly. The sales number are fine now, but I have a feeling that at some point, people will grow tired of seeing the same levels over and over again. I'm not even asking for gameplay innovation, just some more creativity with things like enemies, power ups(NO MORE TANOOKI SUIT WANNABES), and levels.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Ahh... OK.

Yeah, for some reason, I'm not surprised. I mean look at the anime industry for crying out loud. Remember Trigun? Japan HATED it, it was only popular in the West. Meanwhile we have 1000s of generic Harem anime, sure a couple might be OK, like Bakemonogatari for example (actually BMG is a strange mix and can only qualify as harem by definition, it is also brilliant), but the large majority are shamelss excuses to have dozens of cute anime girls doing cute things and pander to lonely Otaku.

Anyway, on Zelda, did you know the original game was gonna have time travel and was gonna be set in a Futuristic Setting alongside the Fantasy past, and because of this the Protag was called Link, because he was the "Link" between both times. Also, OoT was supposed to be set in 3 different times, the Spirit Temple points to this, and the fact that the official time line splits in 3 kinda confirms it.

I feel the same way more or less about Four Swords.
How about Zelda II? Just because one game isn't like the other does not mean it's unworthy of the name. Again, Zelda II is a prime example of this. But anyway, I shouldn't be arguing. That's your opinion, so I'll respect it.
I liked Paper Mario Sticker Star...
Love Zelda II, another of my faves and very underrated due to its difficulty. Yeah, it's hard to get into, but it has a lot of neat ideas I wish the franchise would go back and explore in all: plot, setting, elements and mechanics. Wish magic would come back too.

If only Wario was playable in NSMBWii and NSMBU. :awesome:
Wario? Nah,

Robo Mario, Original Toad, and E.Gadd.

Wario and Waluigi need to have a GTA clone game set in the Mushroom Kingdom where you rob banks and stuff.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Id' be surprised if Wart doesn't make an appearance in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, though I've already been disappointed by the lack of appearances of Wario in New Super Mario Bros. 2. Come on, that game is all about coinage and the King of Greed is nowhere in sight?

I'd like to see this happen too. A more action focused Zelda clone directed by Kamiya. Oh my God, that's a system seller in my book.
If you've ever played Okami, it's a perfectly plausible thing. In my opinion, that game pretty much out did every Zelda game that has come out in recent years, but maybe that's just bias talking. Mysterious Murasame Castle was probably proposed to begin with because Kamiya wants to try to capture the magic again. Same canvas, different paint basically.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The last Zelda game I got a best game of all time vibe from was Wind Waker, and that game was released 10 years ago.

As for that Zelda stuff mentioned above, I never heard about that (I only know about the three timelines as a result of Ocarina of Time). Please provide a link because I would like to see this for myself.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Game Grumps talk about this in one of the NSMBWii episodes, the game tries hard to hark back to the nostalgia of the old games, but the difference is that back then the levels were designed with those mechanics in mind, and the worlds were built around what Mario could and could not do. The new games are just generic worlds with the abilities tacked on, thus they lack the same magic and wonderment that made the first games great. In fact correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Miyamotto has nothing to do with the NSMB series, the series afaik is just a lifeless cash in.
The series just needs more creativity. Let's see some worlds that don't follow the standard Grass Land-Desert World-Water World-Ice World-Fire World-End Boss(nch nch nch) formula to a tee. Let's see some powerups that don't try to ape the Tanooki suit. Maybe some new enemies to shake things up as well. Or maybe reimagine existing ones(kinda like what SMW did).

Baby Yoshis were cool though.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Love Zelda II, another of my faves and very underrated due to its difficulty. Yeah, it's hard to get into, but it has a lot of neat ideas I wish the franchise would go back and explore in all: plot, setting, elements and mechanics. Wish magic would come back too.

Wario? Nah,

Robo Mario, Original Toad, and E.Gadd.

Wario and Waluigi need to have a GTA clone game set in the Mushroom Kingdom where you rob banks and stuff.
I agree, Zelda II is a great game.
Don't forget Metal Mario, Stanley, Lakitu, Dry Bones, and a random Luna.

D

Deleted member

Id' be surprised if Wart doesn't make an appearance in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, though I've already been disappointed by the lack of appearances of Wario in New Super Mario Bros. 2. Come on, that game is all about coinage and the King of Greed is nowhere in sight?

If you've ever played Okami, it's a perfectly plausible thing. In my opinion, that game pretty much out did every Zelda game that has come out in recent years, but maybe that's just bias talking. Mysterious Murasame Castle was probably proposed to begin with because Kamiya wants to try to capture the magic again. Same canvas, different paint basically.
I still haven't played Okami, though I really want to though. I like Zelda clones and Zelda games, and I love when games and other media portray folklore, especially Japanese folklore. In fact, it's the ONE THING the Naruto manga kinda does right.

The last Zelda game I got a best game of all time vibe from was Wind Waker, and that game was released 10 years ago.

As for that Zelda stuff mentioned above, I never heard about that (I only know about the three timelines as a result of Ocarina of Time). Please provide a link because I would like to see this for myself.
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBU1CkcLLE

On the 3 times in OoT, that's more of a theory, this guy mentions it somewhere during this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o908SWJ8ulc

On a side note, all of that guys reviews are very interesting and very much worth watching.

Also, there's the stuff on WW's cut content, that's actually the only reason I don't consider it a GOAT game. If the ramake brings back the cut content, not only will I buy it but I would call it a GOAT game.

The series just needs more creativity. Let's see some worlds that don't follow the standard Grass Land-Desert World-Water World-Ice World-Fire World-End Boss(nch nch nch) formula to a tee. Let's see some powerups that don't try to ape the Tanooki suit. Maybe some new enemies to shake things up as well. Or maybe reimagine existing ones(kinda like what SMW did).

Baby Yoshis were cool though.
I think they lack Miyamotto's creativity, platformers need more than just simple worlds to overcome. Look at DKC1, brilliant enemy placement. It kinda goes with what Egoraptor mentions in his Sequelitis series.

When Miyamotto retires, Mario will die, mark my words.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think they lack Miyamotto's creativity, platformers need more than just simple worlds to overcome. Look at DKC1, brilliant enemy placement. It kinda goes with what Egoraptor mentions in his Sequelitis series.
Actually, I believe Miyamoto is still involved with the series. Actually, Miyamoto is the reason PM:SS is so bland. While he did insist they try to make it less like TTYD(which is why there are not partners), IIRC he also insisted that the dev team make the story more like a 'traditional' Mario game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
TTYD was THE BEST game in the Paper Mario series, HANDS DOWN. And they wanted to make PM:SS less like it?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

I am sorry, but I don't consider what another Zelda fans says as a legitimate source. I meant something more alone the lines of coming out of what one of the developers for the Zelda games has said.
Hmm, well I could go on a hunt for the magazine interview, but they cite a source, and apparently it's what Miyamotto said. On the accuracy behind it, well, DYKGaming has never given faulty information before. It's just food for though though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmm, well I could go on a hunt for the magazine interview, but they cite a source, and apparently it's what Miyamotto said. On the accuracy behind it, well, DYKGaming has never given faulty information before. It's just food for though though.
I am sorry if I came across as rude. Its just that in the past when something has been "heresay" from a developer (ie. what Sigurd fans were saying about Sakurai and his preferences during pre-Brawl), I would prefer to see an actual source on it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Paper Mario: Sticker Star just feels so bland. Which might not sound much if we're talking about the platform games, but for the RPG games it feels so wrong. The RPG's are charming because it threw Mario and co. into very interesting scenarios that are unlike other games, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Old Door alone has Mario getting his body snatched by Doopliss and another situation having him enter a wrestling tournament. There is also the writing and pacing that made playing the games feel less like a chore and more like an experience, even if it's something more mundane like dialogue.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star pretty much threw all that out the window. Everything just feels dumbed down just for the sake of being dumbed down. In particular, the one thing that has always bothered me about that game is Bowser doesn't talk. That should be a crime against humanity or something.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
TTYD was THE BEST game in the Paper Mario series, HANDS DOWN. And they wanted to make PM:SS less like it?
I assume he wanted the series to avoid stagnating. Which is really kinda funny, given the state of the rest of the Mario franchise.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sticker Star being the highest selling game in the Paper Mario series in Japan (and its still selling there!), means IS might not learn their lesson for the next game.

D

Deleted member

I am sorry if I came across as rude. Its just that in the past when something has been "heresay" from a developer (ie. what Sigurd fans were saying about Sakurai and his preferences during pre-Brawl), I would prefer to see an actual source on it.
No worries,

here you go:
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/4/3598112/miyamoto-wanted-link-to-be-a-recognizable-character

and the original source in French:
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

D

Deleted member

Thanks. The stuff Miyamoto was talking about was the original Zelda game, not Ocarina of Time though.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Zelda 1. The whole thing on OoT is just unconformable theory based on cut content found in the game data, the medallions, the mechanics of the Spirit Temple, and the official timeline.

Still, I find the tidbit of Zelda intended to have a future setting to be vastly interesting. It reminds me of that April Fools Joke a while back about a futuristic Zelda and the fans getting all upset about it. Then it turns out Zelda was gonna have that to begin with.

What if we got a Futuristic Zelda?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I wouldn't like it. I might buy it, if it was good, but I'd hope that someone makes a texture hack that makes everything look normal.
Please don't kill me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What if we got a Futuristic Zelda?
A futuristic Legend of Zelda title isn't that far off considering Skyward Sword introduced the concept of robots to the series. Ancient robots, but robots none the less.

Don't know why, but I'd imagine a futuristic Legend of Zelda looking a lot like Xenoblade or something.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which reminds me, I am curious if other companies are also going to assist with the next Super Smash Bros. Monolith Soft in particular has connections to both Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did contribute a little to the next game. There is also Hal Laboratory too, which doesn't seem to be doing anything in particular lately.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
On the Skyward Sword note, my sister just started playing for the first time (new file). I watched her...no complaints about the motion controls...yet. While watching, I was thinking about a new Zelda as well. I told her an idea along the lines of more freedom to explore, the ability to get married (Zelda?) and raise kids, and use/control the kids in battle with Link (like a co-op team fight). She shrugged off the idea.

Now, I know what you guys are thinking, "WTF Croph!? Are you crazy!?" Well, maybe. No matter what video game I play, even as a kid, I've always asked the same questions: Can you get married in this game? If you can, good, the first thing is checked. Then comes question two: Can you get drunk in this game? If you can, then whatever game I'm playing is the best game ever.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
On the Skyward Sword note, my sister just started playing for the first time (new file). I watched her...no complaints about the motion controls...yet. While watching, I was thinking about a new Zelda as well. I told her an idea along the lines of more freedom to explore, the ability to get married (Zelda?) and raise kids, and use/control the kids in battle with Link (like a co-op team fight). She shrugged off the idea.
Harvest Moon: Hylian Harvest?

D

Deleted member

A futuristic Legend of Zelda title isn't that far off considering Skyward Sword introduced the concept of robots to the series. Ancient robots, but robots none the less.

Don't know why, but I'd imagine a futuristic Legend of Zelda looking a lot like Xenoblade or something.
I like some of the fan-art.

I think it could work if treated as a more Magical Future setting, rather than a generic Cyberpunk setting. It would be interesting to see imo.

Yeah, I saw the ancient Robots. It reminded me of the Dwemir robots in Skyrim.

I like that Steampunk/Magical future setting. I could work very well. In fact, there's some dungeon Mods for Skyrim, that explores very cool future settings.

Gersonia:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28507
Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySIDUI1Ckjw&list=UU4MGZcDG5hnzpi3hDpORkXw

Skip to around 4:20 to skip all the other stuff.

There was another on that was based around trains and stuff, but I couldn't find it... Well there's also Asteria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwalplLpFeU&list=UU4MGZcDG5hnzpi3hDpORkXw

EDIT: so the spoiler tags don't seem to work... Nice.

Now, I know what you guys are thinking, "WTF Croph!? Are you crazy!?" Well, maybe. No matter what video game I play, even as a kid, I've always asked the same questions: Can you get married in this game? If you can, good, the first thing is checked. Then comes question two: Can you get drunk in this game? If you can, then whatever game I'm playing is the best game ever.
Having a Zelda waifu... Dunno, it doesn't fit the theme of the series. Zelda isn't a sandbox game like TES. Though Zelda COULD borrow some other TES elements.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Has anyone ever noticed how much subtle Young Zelda stuff Smash has? Melee's intro, she's in the background a lot. Kirby's Zelda hat is Young Zelda of course. Then we have a Toon Zelda almost added to Smash. Has this been planned for a while? Iunno. Just noticed how much Young/Toon Zelda stuff is in Smash

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Has anyone ever noticed how much subtle Young Zelda stuff Smash has? Melee's intro, she's in the background a lot. Kirby's Zelda hat is Young Zelda of course. Then we have a Toon Zelda almost added to Smash. Has this been planned for a while? Iunno. Just noticed how much Young/Toon Zelda stuff is in Smash
Impa is also in the Melee's intro, too. Could Impa get in Smash, too? :troll:

**** it, this new SmashBoards took away the trollface!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ahh... OK.

Yeah, for some reason, I'm not surprised. I mean look at the anime industry for crying out loud. Remember Trigun? Japan HATED it, it was only popular in the West. Meanwhile we have 1000s of generic Harem anime, sure a couple might be OK, like Bakemonogatari for example (actually BMG is a strange mix and can only qualify as harem by definition, it is also brilliant), but the large majority are shamelss excuses to have dozens of cute anime girls doing cute things and pander to lonely Otaku.

Anyway, on Zelda, did you know the original game was gonna have time travel and was gonna be set in a Futuristic Setting alongside the Fantasy past, and because of this the Protag was called Link, because he was the "Link" between both times. Also, OoT was supposed to be set in 3 different times, the Spirit Temple points to this, and the fact that the official time line splits in 3 kinda confirms it.
Japan definitely has their heads on backwards when it comes to "courtship". Men want their women to be helpless waifs (though it's probably as bad in America in this aspect). Oh, and lets not forget groping on the trains. Seriously, Japanese guys can get incredibly creepy when they want a girl.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star just feels so bland. Which might not sound much if we're talking about the platform games, but for the RPG games it feels so wrong. The RPG's are charming because it threw Mario and co. into very interesting scenarios that are unlike other games, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Old Door alone has Mario getting his body snatched by Doopliss and another situation having him enter a wrestling tournament. There is also the writing and pacing that made playing the games feel less like a chore and more like an experience, even if it's something more mundane like dialogue.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star pretty much threw all that out the window. Everything just feels dumbed down just for the sake of being dumbed down. In particular, the one thing that has always bothered me about that game is Bowser doesn't talk. That should be a crime against humanity or something.
Honestly, while I think it's an enjoyable game, Sticker Star feels like they took the whole Mario in an RPG concept too far. We have the old SMB3 overworld and that the game is broken up in levels with a goal at the end. This game pretty much takes the whole Excuse Plot trope to the very extreme. At least the previous Paper Mario games had more of a thought out story.

I want to know what they were thinking with this game.

I think it's more of a coincidence than anything else. With Melee, there was probably nothing else suitable for Kirby to have for a Zelda hat while OoT and Majora's Mask show her mostly as a child whereas adult Zelda was only at the end of OoT.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that you mentioned it Shorts, I do realize all the Young Zelda promotion.

@Young Horsetail That post you made about the Shulk in the sitcom situation is exactly what I was afraid that you'd mention now that I think about it. :urg:

D

Deleted member

Japan definitely has their heads on backwards when it comes to "courtship". Men want their women to be helpless waifs (though it's probably as bad in America in this aspect). Oh, and lets not forget groping on the trains. Seriously, Japanese guys can get incredibly creepy when they want a girl.
Well a couple things on that. In regard to courtship, that's one thing I gotta praise about Japan. Not to bring up a flame war, but in some countries Feminism certainly has gone overboard. I still like the idea of women being Feminine in nature and having Feminine traits. Japanese culture in that regard still hasn't been "corrupted" per say. From what I hear, Valentines Day is backwards in Japan, women court the men they like.

This isn't also the "oh, lonely nerd who's never gotten laid complaining" type scenario, as my life and experience with women has been quite the opposite, especially here in Spain where I'm seen as "exotic." It's just, none of the girls I've dated have been what I'd call "the ideal" or wife-material, and a lot of it stems from modern culture being so materialist and liberal. People are just too selfish and expect to get what they want even if they don't particularly deserve it and with little to no effort. And will take action based on instant gratification and YOLO with little regard for the future. I include both men and women, and myself in this statement. However, being aware of this and working to change it makes a huge difference. That's not to insult the girls I've been with or anything either, most of them were just normal girls, but the majority of people are easily swayed into making dumb ****ing decisions. Especially with all the 'freedoms' we have today. It simply begs the question, if freedom a necessity? And how much freedom is too much?

In that regard, I'm not exactly calling Japan a Utopia of pure women, as it's certainly not, but like Mexico, its culture has led its people especially its women to be more prudent. It's just a matter of numbers and probability, you're more likely to meet a decent person in a culture that places social restraints on its people than on one that does not.

Just my two cents is all.

On the groping on trains... Well that's actually quite funny as it touches upon the opposite end of the spectrum. As I've heard rumors that some women go to specific trains hoping to find a Chikan who will grope them, so it certainly begs the question, perhaps there is a limit on how many rules and how strict they should be? Too much prudence can lead to people snapping I suppose... At the same time, talking on 4chan's/fit/ and /adv/ with people, there are guys who do quirky things on public transport to cop a feel. Like stick their elbow out or whatever to get an 'accidental' grope on a girl, and there have been girls who openly confessed to have had this done to them, knowing it was truly on purpose, and shrugging it off as they kinda liked the experience. I mean, it doesn't go to the extremes as Japan, but it's still a similar scenario, and in Western culture no less. And I mean, this is /fit/ a lot of these dudes can and most likely do get action, so it's not exactly sexual repression that causes this. It really brings up a lot of interesting questions in regard to the sexual nature of human beings.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but do any of you run Smash-related Tumblr accounts? I've found two excellent ones thus far, "smashbrosideas" and "supersmashbros4," and both have content quite similar to what I've seen posted in here (though the latter has a post claiming K. Rool is still owned by Rare...:troll: )

volbound1700

Smash Master
I really liked the controls direction of Zelda but I agree the overworld in SS felt uninspired and the game to me was just short. Only 3 regions to visit was dumb, why not 8-9? The 2D and Classic Zeldas had far more massive worlds than OOT, TP, and SS. I wish the 3D games would go in that direction (take Okami for example which has a far more massive and engrossing overworld).

I really AoL was massive with 2 continents and numerous landscapes.

Mario will be fine. It sells to casual games and Mario fans and will still continue to sell to that crowd. They hold back to make their games in the future even bigger (like readding the Kooplaings inspired NSMB Wii among Mario fans).

Plus the Mario games that have been experimental did not do as well as the regular ones (NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom