• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Flaws

Marthmario

Smash Lord
My friend has been slamming on her as of late and I was curious to see if his reasons are valid. Discuss?

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My opinion is that this does not need to be a thread.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm very lenient when it comes to spam.
You have one more post to justify yourself and this thread so it can stay open.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I was just going to use this thread to judge what flaws Rosalina has in her game. I believe it might be a good topic of discussion.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Thank you! So anyway, It seems like her height and floatiness would contribute to the an issue.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think topics to discuss a character's flaws is just as important as discussing their strengths.

One thing that I can imagine will be hard for her are air-jugglers. Guys like Meta Knight will probably be able to keep her in the air due to her size and floatiness, and by the looks of it she won't have her little Luma guardian to protect her when she's up there. There's also her height, which makes her very vulnerable to projectiles and general campers. Of course she also suffers from the classic Ice Climbers syndrome that when she's seperated from her Luma, or her Luma dies, she'll likely be quite helpless.

She looks to have quite some strengths, as is often the case with gimmicky characters, but the other thing about gimmicky characters is that they aren't that hard to figure out how to play around. She'll probably still be a very good character though.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I think topics to discuss a character's flaws is just as important as discussing their strengths.

One thing that I can imagine will be hard for her are air-jugglers. Guys like Meta Knight will probably be able to keep her in the air due to her size and floatiness, and by the looks of it she won't have her little Luma guardian to protect her when she's up there. There's also her height, which makes her very vulnerable to projectiles and general campers. Of course she also suffers from the classic Ice Climbers syndrome that when she's seperated from her Luma, or her Luma dies, she'll likely be quite helpless.

She looks to have quite some strengths, as is often the case with gimmicky characters, but the other thing about gimmicky characters is that they aren't that hard to figure out how to play around. She'll probably still be a very good character though.
I feel like Marth and Falco are going to be absolute hell for a Rosalina player.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some speculation, regarding Rosalina's pros and cons...

Rosalina's Pros
  • Very versatile with her combat options
  • Attacks have good reach, good speed, and may also offer good power
  • Grab game appears to be very effective
  • Long recovery makes her difficult to KO sideways
  • The Luma's usage is versatile, ranging from long distance assaults, acting like a shield, a useful combo maker, and even interrupting an opponent's grab game
  • Gravitational Pull renders almost all item and projectile assaults useless against her

Rosalina's Cons
  • Tall in height, making her a big target
  • Lightweight and floaty, making her vulnerable to being KO'd vertically at low damage percentages
  • The Luma's stamina is limited
  • May have trouble against certain fighters who possess long range direct attacks, depending on their mobility
  • Not exactly a speedy character while on the ground
  • Gang attacks could limit her battle plan options in a match that involves more than two participants, especially for the Multi-Man battles

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
In a game with adequate hitstun and follow-ups, floatiness can be a good thing as it makes follow-ups harder. Samus for example is very hard to combo, as is P:M Mewtwo. The issue, besides the obvious "easier to KO vertically" is that without a good way to return to the ground, you will get juggled for days. Samus lacks a truly good way to come back besides bomb dropping and various mix-ups, while P:M Mewtwo has his teleport and can escape juggles very well.

I should also note that in a game with Brawl's airdodge, escaping juggles should be easier.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
At a glance, I feel like one of her biggest flaws is difficulty to learn. The independent Luma control looks like it will take tons of practice to use well competitively.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Her airspeed looks pretty good, so does her backroll which is shown twice in the direct http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=24m19s at about right there, look closely after she drops from the platform, she does what is probably her down tilt, then backrolls twice to create space. It appears that she actually just teleports backwards. It seems like it has a punishable start-up though so it might not be as good for getting away from pressure as it it for just creating space after gaining some momentum. Also Seeing as Luma never appears to shield or roll, it might be lacking those options and may be lacking a grab as well since it's not seen initiating a grab when she does that combo on pit a bit later in the video. Also, her jab-cancel game, at least with Luma, looks really good. Also, she has very nice looking aerials including a very dangerous looking Dair spike.

Last edited:

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
I don't know if it was just my eyes or if I missed something, but as I watched stream I'm not sure what happened but they did some more with Rosalina and she was unable to move in the air after using it.

Fluxx

Smash Rookie
At a glance, I feel like one of her biggest flaws is difficulty to learn. The independent Luma control looks like it will take tons of practice to use well competitively.
Speaking of independent Luma control, for those who have tried Rosalina during the Best Buy demo, how does Luma feel? Similar to Nana? Can you control what moves Luma does while Rosalina is in hitstun or is grabbed? How do you control where Luma moves?

I'm so jealous of those who got to play Rosalina, unfortunately I was busy both Best Buy days...

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
She's no Ice Climbers. Shes competent on her own but the Luma is an asset that is useful when around. It's simple presence blocks attacks directed at Rosalina. I had it take a ton of projectiles and a smash attack from Mega Man, killing it, but saving Rosalina. Its damage doesn't compare to Rosalina's so think of it as a damage-shield/half-a-Nana. Plus you lose out

Rosalina's Cons

• May have trouble against certain fighters who possess long range direct attacks, depending on their mobility
She has a deflector (not sure if it reflects) so that's something to defend against slower long range attacks or people with catchable projectiles (Link/Diddy/ROB).

Also. You seem to have mistakenly crossed out Ridley in your sig. ;)

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
The invitational almost immediately confirmed my thoughts; she doesn't like crowds.

Big target with specific hitboxes. While in theory the Luma and Rosalina could each take on their own enemy, in practice that is just way too convenient to be something reliable. At the very least, you can deal adequate damage with Luma without having to expose Rosalina to the frenzy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did predict that gang attacks would be an issue for Rosalina, so with the footage that we've seen, that seems to be right.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Rosalina just gets combed pretty badly. Yes she can be great but she's pretty slow and a fast character would make quick work of her.

And on top of that she's very light.

Donkey kongs back air killed her at 80% from the mid part of smashville.

Wii fit trainers up air killed her at below 100% with her up air.

Olimars Blue Pikmin un charged up smash killed her at 91%.

Ya she's very light.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A couple users thought that Rosalina would be difficult to KO, despite of her lightweight stature. Perhaps they just didn't see her getting hit by high knockback attacks very much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just keep in mind that what we saw is only the demo, so it's possible that certain attacks may have their knockback altered before the game's release.

Top Bottom