• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina and Luma Have Some Nasty Dodge-Cancel Options

Do you think Rosalina and Luma are Top 10 in Smash 4?

• Yes!

Votes: 285 84.8%
  • No.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • They're right on the line.

Votes: 35 10.4%

• Total voters

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Rosalina and Luma were hailed as the new top tier of Smash shortly after Smash Bros. for 3DS' release, but since then have fallen out of the limelight. They are still a strong pick, but other characters with safer aerial options and more speed have become more commonplace in competition. However, a new tech unique to the celestial princess may change all that!

Will this new tech put Rosalina back in the spotlight?
YouTube user fallnaway has created a video illustrating an interesting tech that may prove very useful for those looking to pick up Rosalina in competitive play. Using airdodge-canceling, Luma can attack independently of Rosalina, creating a Ice Climbers-esque desynch situation on landing. This not only gives her safe landings, but quick one-two combos for those ready to take advantage of Luma's surprise attack.

What do you think of this new technique? Will you be putting Rosalina and Luma back in your personal top 10? Let us know in the comments below!

The Derrit loves janky stuff, and this definitely qualifies. Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Globe

I only care for waifus
Well that surely is 'out of this world' hahaha.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This isn't "new tech discovered by fallnaway"

people just like to claim it once they come up with applications

falln

Smash Ace
lunar landing isn't new and airdodge cancelling isn't new (but even then its still unknown to a larger % of the competitive community than it should).

applications of the techniques are just as important as the technique itself otherwise you end up like the brawl link mains with 40 useless ATs :) WHIPLASH BABY

thanks for putting this up derrit~

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Top 10 in smash 4:
10. Mario
9. Green Mario
8. Yellow Mario
7. Villager
6. Pikachu
5. Dragon Pikachu
4. That one Yellow Mouse thing
3. Robot Man
2. The Other Robot Man
1. Villager

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Great, I always thought that Air dodging was risky, but now it is a setup tool.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Top 10 in smash 4:
10. Mario
9. Green Mario
8. Yellow Mario
7. Villager
6. Pikachu
5. Dragon Pikachu
4. That one Yellow Mouse thing
3. Robot Man
2. The Other Robot Man
1. Villager
A.Pikachu (yellow mouse thing) is here twice
B.Mew2King (robot) is also here twice, and he's not in the game (unless one counts Miis)

Disclaimer: I am aware the two robots are ROB and Mega Man, I just wanted a B.......

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Fox is still every spot in the top #10 bar #4.5 being dedicated to Shiek and ZSS and Diddy. sorry Rosaluma.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Is this a joke? She's easily top three.

ConCeal12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mimic19
^ Nah bro. Top 10 yes but not Top 5 until we come up with better stuff for Rose.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
^ Nah bro. Top 10 yes but not Top 5 until we come up with better stuff for Rose.
If you want to get ridiculously technical here, she's top three on eventhubs. But aside from that, you clearly haven't played any good ones. They're very irritating and force even fast characters like Fox to adapt an awkward approach style. Most well known "pros" don't main her simply because she requires a very patient and campy playstyle. Seriously...The people who say she sucks after the patch prob beat a few scrubs on For Glory and feel all high and mighty about it.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
lol She's already on my top 10 list even after the 1.0.4 patch. Those who say that she sucks clearly hasn't fought against a very good Rosalina user.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina awesome,awesome, and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
And here we go, so much for that 'balanced' garbage. Nintendo do your job and patch all of this nonsense.
Sakurai probably only patches characters he loses to on For Glory..he sitting there all like "y dus dis jiggiry puff KO me so fast wen she sreep? i wirr nerf her so it easior to win at dis gaem! casuar prayers unite!"

xzx

Smash Lord
lunar landing isn't new and airdodge cancelling isn't new (but even then its still unknown to a larger % of the competitive community than it should).

applications of the techniques are just as important as the technique itself otherwise you end up like the brawl link mains with 40 useless ATs :) WHIPLASH BABY

thanks for putting this up derrit~
Can you please do a video of this "air dodge cancelling"? I hate the air dodge landing lag...

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
If you want to get ridiculously technical here, she's top three on eventhubs. But aside from that, you clearly haven't played any good ones. They're very irritating and force even fast characters like Fox to adapt an awkward approach style. Most well known "pros" don't main her simply because she requires a very patient and campy playstyle. Seriously...The people who say she sucks after the patch prob beat a few scrubs on For Glory and feel all high and mighty about it.
Toxic to fight=god tier

Ok then the remaining 2 spot in top 3 go to Little Mac and Sonic. That's your logic there. Being campy and annoying doesn't make you top 3, in ANY fighting game.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Sakurai probably only patches characters he loses to on For Glory..he sitting there all like "y dus dis jiggiry puff KO me so fast wen she sreep? i wirr nerf her so it easior to win at dis gaem! casuar prayers unite!"
Yes I believe that, he's a snob and a lair, if you say world-wide that you'll make it as balanced as ever and they have worked so hard for a whooping two weeks and then quit from only two weeks then write 'the game is balanced now' which lmao isn't even close. It's starting to become like Brawl, yes, that broken game that many hated because nothing was 'balanced'.

If people honestly don't care, then hush your mouths about Smash-4 being better than Brawl when it clearly isn't but to you guys it is because MK is no more and you all see a 'balance'.

Diddy or some other character will be the new MK, Rose will be the new Ice climbers very soon and since. Since there are STILL stuff to be discovered, lmao. Nintendo didn't keep their promise, this is why they're in serious debt which is two years worth. They better practice to not lie or otherwise the only thing that will keep them alive is Pokemon.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She was still second best (along with Sheik or maybe Sonic) after the patch. While the nerfs had the bigger impact overall, Rosalina got some buffs to compensate - in exchange for some raw power and lengthening Luma's respawn timer, we got new tricks with that patch.

And now, we are getting things like this and Perfect Pivoting. Only gonna help an already well kitted character more.

Only character that is above her for definite is Diddy, though I don't think that will be forever, especially since the Diddy match up is already in Rosalina's favour, and always has been.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
This is too situational to be that useful. It only applies to Smashville, which means all you have to do is strike it. There. Tech gone. You can do the tech without the Smashville platform but the timing for that is MUCH stricter.

andimidna

Smash Master
I use "lunar landing" -is this a new name for it I guess- all dayy

Rosas pretty much become my one main with no secondary. I adapted to the new game along with her style so it's hard to go back to others, especially when my Brawl mains changed so much for no reason
Once you have a luma you dont go back~

I'd rank her 3rd or 4th atm
I see a dominant 4... which wouldn't be new, but hey, we've never gotten it right this early for past games so it can change for sure. Especially with underused characters like Pikachu, Peach, and Olimar around

I've never thought of this application, I'd like to see it in battle. I won't be using it myself cause for glory but its still cool

Teshie U

Smash Lord
This is old, I also uploaded a picture when I discovered this.
[
/spoiler]

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Top 10? For me its...
Shiek
Rosalina
Diddy
Ness
Pikachu
Luigi(A good Luigi is horrifying)
Lucario
Greninja
Zero Suit
Bowser

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Maybe Sonic as well but I personally feel he isn't top 10 yet the community does so I guess why not add him as a possible addition if one of the others aren't.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is too situational to be that useful. It only applies to Smashville, which means all you have to do is strike it. There. Tech gone. You can do the tech without the Smashville platform but the timing for that is MUCH stricter.
The timing isn't any stricter anywhere else. The Smashville platform is merely a visual guide for learning the tech, as it is at just the right distance from the main platform for the tech to work by airdodging as soon as you leave the platform.

I'm able to do this tech on 3DS without much issue. Smashville does not exist on 3DS. Once you get used to it, you don't need to use the training wheels of Smashville anymore (and the tech was again, first discovered on 3DS long ago - this Rosalina video is merely mixing a general tech with a Rosalina tech).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The video went by so fast... if you're not watching it in slow motion, you're liable to miss what this dude is talking about.

Personally, I think this is a neat little trick. I don't feel like it's going to be a big deal for Rosalina in general.

Top Bottom