• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 !! November 17-18 ! Road to Apex! NEW VENUE! Streamed by VGBootCamp!!

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
On a more positive note, the tournament showcased some of the best bowser gameplay I've ever seen... Not that anyone cares about that now.

-RedShadow

Smash Ace
All of this salt is kinda pissing me off. The M2K vs Unknown situation is another disscusion in itself, but to punish/"lose respect" for players that a)did something that didn't breach the rules (i.e. splitting) or b)didn't perform to certain people's standards is kinda ****ing dumb imo.

I guess if TO's want to implement rules that, in the future, discourage splitting, that's fine.

This is gonna be lost in this sea of bull**** but I really don't care anymore. You guys need to stop acting like you're entitiled to a performance or some stupid ****. Or that this kind of drama is only limited to Smash (do y'all even pay attention to the FGC?!).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
On a more positive note, the tournament showcased some of the best bowser gameplay I've ever seen... Not that anyone cares about that now.
Showcased my gorilla tappin that bowser too

Shoutouts to DJs bowser... and samus

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
All of this salt is kinda pissing me off. The M2K vs Unknown situation is another disscusion in itself, but to punish/"lose respect" for players that a)did something that didn't breach the rules (i.e. splitting) or b)didn't perform to certain people's standards is kinda ****ing dumb imo.

I guess if TO's want to implement rules that, in the future, discourage splitting, that's fine.

This is gonna be lost in this sea of bull**** but I really don't care anymore. You guys need to stop acting like you're entitiled to a performance or some stupid ****. Or that this kind of drama is only limited to Smash (do y'all even pay attention to the FGC?!).
I hope this isn't too much of a leap, but having an affair is not against the law. And yet I instantly lose respect for people who cheat on their partner. Because it is against my standards and I feel that is very reasonable.

unknown522

Some guy
So guys, which part of me not gaining money out of the split do you not understand?

Anyways. I will definitely write something up with my honest feelings/opinions.

If the chance comes up again at a major, I will definitely not do this again! I promise all of you!

I did not feel good and I feel I let everyone down including myself for not playing it out. I felt so bad that I offered to run back the set and not split, but I was told not to.

Like I really tried to make amends and I really promise that I am actually sorry and will never let it happen again if it comes up again.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

i am now your biggest fan

edit: ryan, david, jason, please post your thoughts in the thread i created in the MBR.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Tired of these johns, could have made a full blown post about all of these atrocities but I'll keep it simple.

-TO should NOT have made them replay game 5, they were responsible for knowing the rules and they went into game 5 thinking that was going to be the last game and they agreed to do it. This killed all the hype for me.
-When a player wants to forfeit just let them do it, I don't want to see a kirby vs pichu secondary set or what have you and I'm pretty sure no one else does.
-Stream people are shallow and they are massive trolls. I thought the melee community was a lot more mature and less quick to jump into conclusions. Even people I thought were cool in real life somehow devolves online.
-Splitting sucks, I don't care if you're tired, you're playing super smash bros melee and you know you'll have to put in a ton of effort to win matches. This game is also about endurance and being able to keep up your focus. People say it's okay if they both try but come on, it won't be the same.
-Johns... You get ONE tournament to complain about your controller (I assume that's when you notice it brake). After that, no mercy. Get a new controller asap stop hiding behind your johns when you play, you aren't better than you think you are.
-Lastly, why would anyone in the smash community play for money. This game has hardly any sponsorship and the winnings aren't even that good. If you don't want to win at melee and want to play for money then play other games.
-http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329934 Juggleguy.

I'm disappointed, sad, and mad salty not even gunna lie.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
This is what Mango would probably say

"They are *****es"

Also Unknown, I know that there is probably a logical reason why you did this, just remember that you and M2K (and KK to a lesser extent, he seemed to be playing it out somewhat in LF though. Mainly his WF set with you that frustrated me) did just show your *** as a representation of the Melee community in front of over 3000 people

Lovage

Smash Hero
important tidbit via my convo with KK:

the top 3 didn't split, it was just the top 2, all KK took was his 3rd place cash

update: some more info just uncovered, unknown was born with no ****

unknown522

Some guy
Lovage, would you **** off man? I had enough of your **** you ****ing hypocrite vulture! Get your head out of your *** and stop being a ****!

D

Deleted member

Add me into the mbr

i personally would have added you a long time ago if we could add people.

we currently can't add people because of restrictions from MLG. it's complicated, but the short version is that we can't do anything.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
i am now your biggest fan

edit: ryan, david, jason, please post your thoughts in the thread i created in the MBR.
I am interested in knowing what your rationale is for thinking that you are entitled to their thoughts but no one else is besides the ~30 people in the MBR (if that's even the right number). Obviously yes a lot of people are jumping to assumptions and whatnot, but I think it's to the detriment of intelligent discussion by the community if us lowly pot fillers don't to take part.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
I am interested in knowing what your rationale is for thinking that you are entitled to their thoughts but no one else is besides the ~30 people in the MBR (if that's even the right number). Obviously yes a lot of people are jumping to assumptions and whatnot, but I think it's to the detriment of intelligent discussion by the community if us lowly pot fillers don't to take part.
cuz umbreon is an elitist

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
i personally would have added you a long time ago if we could add people.

we currently can't add people because of restrictions from MLG. it's complicated, but the short version is that we can't do anything.
Can we just ditch the mbr and make a facebook group then? Theres a lot of more ppl that ought to be in conversations like this

D

Deleted member

the MBR is acting as a shield from public persecution. not that you in particular are guilty of it, but rather it is best to seek an alternative, since we cannot possibly hope to get X people to behave respectfully.

also, these people are my friends. i'm certainly entitled to their opinions in private.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Splitting may not be against the rules, but it should be, as it calls into question the accuracy of tournament results. True, there's usually no way to prove that a set has been thrown, but there's definitely an interest in preventing impropriety or the appearance thereof, and splitting certainly falls into the latter.

If we can't be sure that the finals are producing accurate results, then why bother with counterpicks, stage bans and double elimination brackets, all of which are in place to ensure accurate results?

Bob Money

Smash Ace
They are grown men and can do what they want but, I don't understand how you can be so close to winning your first National Major tournament and then willingly toss it. Was it worth the 30 bucks? Heck even the minus- 100-200 dollars or whatever? Anyway I'm sure Unknown has a great reason for throwing his chance to win a major tournament and cementing himself as a top tier player. I'm sure Mew2King has a great reason for accepting less money for doing his job(Playing Melee) as he puts it. I'm sure KK has a great reason for going Fox and not wanting to win his first US major .

Yep I'm confident they have solid sound reasoning behind why chose to split.
If they were tired, then SD all your stocks and don't play.
If one of them needed money for expenses, then simply give them money after the tournament has been played out.
If their controllers are broken then SD four stocks. Or play a less technically demanding character.
If its emotional distress, then say it.

Yep I'm confident they have solid sound reasoning 2/3 players threw away their shot at winning a national tournament of this magnitude, esp since its thier first time doing so, it almost seems like they planned this all along I mean I know I wouldnt travel to a different country and plan to do this but I guess I don't have the foresight and planning or skills to do that. I love how Unknown played a rematch of game 5 with m2k, def showed he wanted to win...oh wait.

In the end though they dont owe anyone an explanation, because they cleverly and cunningly had the wits to strategically take maximum advantage of a large community prized based tournament so it would benifet the 3 of them equally. Pretty smart I'd say Kudus for the masterplan wellplayed. You're alot smarter than most players with the same amount of skill level as you all.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
the MBR is acting as a shield from public persecution. not that you in particular are guilty of it, but rather it is best to seek an alternative, since we cannot possibly hope to get X people to behave respectfully.

also, these people are my friends. i'm certainly entitled to their opinions in private.
While I understand both of those (particularly the friends bit, which I thought of approximately one second after I posted), I feel it's also important that the broader community get their relatively unfiltered thoughts on the matter so that we can have a real discussion about this situation rather than name-calling, bickering, and declaring Christmas to be ruined without having the perspective of the players in question.

Ultimately it's at the discretion of the players whether they want to discuss it openly, in private, or at all. Just my thoughts.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
shoutouts to hax and dj for making the stream awesome. going to bed, but hopefully well get some clarity by the time i wake up.

PB&J

Smash Hero
people on smashboards sometime think they know everything

I think people need to leave kk out of everything

Unknown-its cool man,dont let these people get to you. Cool seeing you again :)

Had fun ..."no singles"

Twinkles

Smash Lord
rewatching the stream to see the parts that i missed

shoutouts to hax and scar for an incredible falcon ditto set that i really wanted to see

huge shoutouts to GIMR for having BEASTLY recording equipment. the recorded stream is amazing, high quality, super high framerate, it's so smooth and pretty and so many adjectives that i can't think of right now

D

Deleted member

Yeah. You don't need to tell everyone else you're getting these private messages. Especially when the topic is one the community really needs to discuss.
The community definitely needs to discuss this.

However, the MBR is responsible for our rule set. not only that, all 3 of the involved players helped make that rule set. i would like to use the protected MBR to understand and resolve the conflict away from public scrutiny. Once the situation has calmed down some and we clarify our stance internally, I would like to move the discussion to a more respectful public venue.

I have no problem solving the issue in whatever means is the most effective, and community-wide input is necessary for this. I would first like to fully understand the problem though, the current finger-pointing, personal attacks, and misinformation are not helping.

Please allow us time to recapture the events to portray them correctly.

Max?

Smash Champion
Maaaaaan, you guys let EGGM get 4th? Are you serious? This **** was free.

All this button check nonsense has to stop, that ate up at least an hour out of the tournament

Lovage

Smash Hero
They are grown men and can do what they want but, I don't understand how you can be so close to winning your first National Major tournament and then willingly toss it. Was it worth the 30 bucks? Heck even the minus- 100-200 dollars or whatever? Anyway I'm sure Unknown has a great reason for throwing his chance to win a major tournament and cementing himself as a top tier player. I'm sure Mew2King has a great reason for accepting less money for doing his job(Playing Melee) as he puts it. I'm sure KK has a great reason for going Fox and not wanting to win his first US major .

Yep I'm confident they have solid sound reasoning behind why chose to split.
If they were tired, then SD all your stocks and don't play.
If one of them needed money for expenses, then simply give them money after the tournament has been played out.
If their controllers are broken then SD four stocks. Or play a less technically demanding character.
If its emotional distress, then say it.

Yep I'm confident they have solid sound reasoning 2/3 players threw away their shot at winning a national tournament of this magnitude, esp since its thier first time doing so, it almost seems like they planned this all along I mean I know I wouldnt travel to a different country and plan to do this but I guess I don't have the foresight and planning or skills to do that. I love how Unknown played a rematch of game 5 with m2k, def showed he wanted to win...oh wait.

In the end though they dont owe anyone an explanation, because they cleverly and cunningly had the wits to strategically take maximum advantage of a large community prized based tournament so it would benifet the 3 of them equally. Pretty smart I'd say Kudus for the masterplan wellplayed. You're alot smarter than most players with the same amount of skill level as you all.
bob money

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Also, throwing games is bracket manipulation, and that's illegal in every competitive setting (see Olympic badminton for a non-FGC example). Splitting seems to correlate pretty strongly to throwing games.

Top Bottom