• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling Too Much

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
Hey guys, I've finally decided to fix my rolling habbit. The only problem - I don't know how. Whenevr I go into matches and try not to roll the entire game (for glory 1v1), I guess my desire to win takes over and I start to roll again. I play on the 3ds, if that is of any use. So what I'm asking is:

-How can I stop spam rolling?

Thanks guys!

If you feel like rolling is actually contributing to winning and you're having fun doing so, you don't have to quit at all.

But the best way to break the rolling habit is to have an opponent who can capitalize on your vulnerability between rolls and make you paranoid about rolling.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Any habit can be broken by finding someone willing to abuse you for it. For other options, play as Yoshi or Samus. Their rolls are so slow and easy to punish.

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
Thanks for the information, guys! I'll try to play Yoshi and Samus more to get punished for rolling.

FistOfSyn

Smash Rookie
I used to have the same exact problem.

Solution: Play someone who is very good with jigglypuff and you'll see how he will literally read all of your rolls (because you get predictable) and will punish you with rest EVERY single time. (I started getting paranoid and it worked, I don't roll as much anymore)

or just play someone who will punish you for every useless roll.

That's what helped me. Also use your shield more, its much better than rolling. You can block an attack with the shield then immediately grab instead of just rolling away. It's much more safe.

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
I used to have the same exact problem.

Solution: Play someone who is very good with jigglypuff and you'll see how he will literally read all of your rolls (because you get predictable) and will punish you with rest EVERY single time. (I started getting paranoid and it worked, I don't roll as much anymore)
That explains why I lose to jigglypuff LOL

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
Any habit can be broken by finding someone willing to abuse you for it. For other options, play as Yoshi or Samus. Their rolls are so slow and easy to punish.
Wow, thanks for that Yoshi information! I've been destroying everyone!

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wow, thanks for that Yoshi information! I've been destroying everyone!
Glad to have helped. Yoshi's very strong and has a great combo game, but he's also great for teaching non-rolling movement since his roll is so slow. That sort of knowledge can transfer to other characters as you learn their movement speeds and options, too.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Hey guys, I've finally decided to fix my rolling habbit. The only problem - I don't know how. Whenevr I go into matches and try not to roll the entire game (for glory 1v1), I guess my desire to win takes over and I start to roll again. I play on the 3ds, if that is of any use. So what I'm asking is:

-How can I stop spam rolling?

Thanks guys!
Instead of rolling start short hopping or quick double jumping to set up an aerial or feint an aerial to something else. use mindgames. hop around ppl and they'll still be hiding in their shield waiting to be grabbed half the time. Or if they get too close for your comfort zone use some jabs or forward tilts. Hope this helps

Last edited:

GamesShark

Smash Rookie
I asked this on smashboards a while ago and the best advice I can give you is to try not to roll behind someone.

Someone commented on my post about this, and it helped. This is the comment:

"So I assume you need assistance to try and play more offensively?

Rolling, despite it's uses especially in Smash 4, can be decent but overall predictable. If you roll in a spot where someone knows you're rolling to, they'll attack in that spot. Whereas they roll behind they attack you behind. If you roll into a Jigglypuff, then most likely you will get rested.

Then stop rolling. The better option would be to shield break. No, not Marth's shield break, I mean jumping out of shield (short hopping) and then immediately using some sort of aerial. This can work in Yoshi's case by shielding and then jumping out of his shield, same can go for Jigglypuff sometimes, or some other character with a good neutral. These characters with good and fast neutrals can also do this in response to someone rolling, so that's another reason not to abuse the roll. Point is, play a little more offensive."

Last edited:
Top Bottom