• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolla Athletics Dept Presents: Rolla Smash Monthly I feat. Strong Bad & Saffy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mid-MO Discussion Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299461

Venue

Name: Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall, South Lounge
Address: 202 W 18th Street, Rolla, MO 65401

There are two parking lots. Whichever one you enter, after entering head in the opposite direction of the front desk. You should see some elevators on your right after going a bit; once you see them, look to your left. We're in the furthest end of the south lounge.
If you need help finding it ask the attendant at the front desk or call or text me at: -snip-

Events/Entry Fee details

Since this is our first tournament, we might not have an entry fee. If we do, it'll be $5. No venue fee. Try to bring your own controller; it's not guaranteed we'll have extras and if we do they'll be pretty bad ones.
Singles will definitely happen (free or for $5). Teams might happen if we get enough interest. If there's a fee for doubles, it'll be $10 per team ($5 per player).
Regardless of whether or not there's an entry fee, you're free to play as many friendlies as you want even if you don't enter. Tournament sets take priority over friendlies, however, so if you're asked to get off of a setup for a tournament match, do so.
Try to bring TV's and Gamecubes/Wii's if you can! The venue doesn't have any of either for us to use.

Ruleset:

Singles Stage List:

Starters/Neutrals
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
  • DK Island: Jungle Japes
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans.
  • For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Semi-Finals and Finals sets are best of 5 matches.
  • Either player may request that Pause is set to off. This request cannot be denied.
  • Blind Picks: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each player’s choice of character for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling or performing any other infinite past 250%, however, is considered stalling, and is not legal. Dispose of your opponent before then.
  • Master Hand is not a character.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
  • 250% infinite limit is in effect for Doubles as well. Don't be a douchebag and infinite an opponent excessively in a 2v1 situation.
How to Play a Set

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. For example, striker one strikes 1 stage, striker two strikes 2 stages, then striker one strikes 1 more stage and the resulting stage that's left is played on.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
hey what's with this?

"For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans"

seems like a whack and arbitrary rule. i'm definitely getting my ban.
if anything there should be an additional one. not zero. (no i don't want two bans, just one. LIKE THERE IS AT EVERY OTHER TOURNAMENT)
but no. do whatever you want. just know there might be a rule at our tournament that states:

For StrongspaceBad sets, there are no stage bans

Divinokage

Smash Legend
hey what's with this?

"For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans"

seems like a whack and arbitrary rule. i'm definitely getting my ban.
if anything there should be an additional one. not zero. (no i don't want two bans, just one. LIKE THERE IS AT EVERY OTHER TOURNAMENT)
but no. do whatever you want. just know there might be a rule at our tournament that states:

For StrongspaceBad sets, there are no stage bans
You are incorrect, this is actually a ruleset in the works to be done. The reason why there are no bans in best of 5 is because it's to eliminate the need to play on the same stage twice during a set. And that is if you get that far. =P

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
You are incorrect, this is actually a ruleset in the works to be done. The reason why there are no bans in best of 5 is because it's to eliminate the need to play on the same stage twice during a set. And that is if you get that far. =P
well i wouldn't say i'm incorrect. every other tournament i've been to lets you ban a stage in best of 5. guess it's just a new thing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
well i wouldn't say i'm incorrect. every other tournament i've been to lets you ban a stage in best of 5. guess it's just a new thing.
every other tournament you've been to has had 7 or more stages legal. note that this one only has 6 stages legal. if each player gets a ban, then there are 4 stages left, and one stage must be played on twice if the set goes to game 5. I prefer this to having to legalize Kongo Jungle 64, as much as I like the stage.

Terry

Smash Ace
So, me, wretched and zantetsu want to go but how are we getting there?

:phone:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Maybe me. Since Rolla is only a 2 hour drive, straight down I-44, I don't see any reason why my car couldn't make it. Just Monday I drove to Springfield, bought a fightstick (took less than 5 minutes) and then drove right back so that was like, an hour and 40 minutes of straight driving right there, minus the 5 minute stop.

I THINK I CAN DO THIS!

I just need gas money though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if columbia and/or springfield comes there will def be an entry fee

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MBR only banquet will be held in the St. Pat's Hall in the Havener Center.

Jace08

Smash Lord
you should really change the title to this. I know it may seem like just silly wordplay, but it is actually trivializing the real event, even if you didn't intend that (which I know you didn't)

/buzzkill but seriously

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lolol im so mad jace i came in here like "holy **** jace is coming?" and ur just being jace

Massive

Smash Champion
you should really change the title to this. I know it may seem like just silly wordplay, but it is actually trivializing the real event, even if you didn't intend that (which I know you didn't)

/buzzkill but seriously
Premium troll, would LOL again A+++++++++++

Jace08

Smash Lord
really massive? there are some things you just don't mess with

hmm okay strong bad I'll maybe try and get kc to go

dmac

Smash Champion
maybe its because i took a class on the jewish experience of the holocaust and wrote over 40 pages on it, i've become a little more sensitive towards this topic. its not a great name for advertising smash to anyone outside of your internet humor group of bros

i also had a jewish girlfriend for 5 years and went to passover dinner 5 years in a row!

i guess i agree with jace..... (not that i can come to this or anything!!!!)

i'm getting old :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
alright alright i changed it, dmac made a really good point.

Massive

Smash Champion
I'll gladly apologize if anyone took offense.

I didn't really do anything, but I can understand how some oversenstive person would misconstrue. I have no defense other than the fact that years of overzealous history teachers have completely desensitized me to anything Holocaust/Nazi Germany related.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I wish I had known last year that people played competitive smash around rolla. There are probably at least 5 of us from 7N that will come.

MeijinAkuma

Smash Apprentice
please don't hype anything up. i'll just end up choking like i always do. not that i have a chance anyway.
Not that you need me to say this, but we're just going to play the game and have fun. We're headed down there to hang wit our rolla bros and play some melee, everything else is irrelevant.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
If Roman is driving, I'm already there. Count me in for some good old fashion gas monies too Romanowski. Strong Bad, if we don't play in bracket, I want three MMs vs your DK. One with me as Marth, one with me as Falco, and one with me as either Doc, Samus, or Fox. Whichever you prefer.

Terry

Smash Ace
Terry, MM me. Falcon Sheik.

:phone:
Sure, Falcon is easy. Although, I have no idea how good your Falcon is.

And if Wretched doesn't have the money for gas I can maybe pay for him depending on how much we need. As long as he can still pay his entry fee.

Top Bottom