• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roll Trick

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ever wanna roll behind someone but can't quite make it? Dash toward them, then press R, and you will dash forward a bit then start your roll and roll behind them. That little extra range can help in very rare situations. You don't have to use this but I sometimes use it.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
ever wanna roll behind someone but can't quite make it? Dash toward them, then press R, and you will dash forward a bit then start your roll and roll behind them. That little extra range can help in very rare situations. You don't have to use this but I sometimes use it.
I don't get it... wouldn't this just shield slide? You just dash and hit R? You don't have to tap again for the roll?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You can cancel it by not pressing left or right.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
This actually is helpful. The biggest downside obviously is that if you need to immediately roll, this adds a few frames where you can't do anything, but then again if you absolutely have to roll then there is no need to try something like making it longer lol.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You are serious?

This is rather...common sense.

Sonic's super roll is better anyhow >_>

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Seriously, this is actually helpful. Something I think is interesting is doing this combined with a pivot; I've moved forward while doing a backwards roll.

What is funny is that after a certain time frame, it won't let you roll and makes your character do the dashing shield like usual.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...This is one of those things that good players already notice other good players doing and have copied it. Although I think this is the first time it's even really been put into words

So instead of this little increases range being for the most part unspoken it has now become mainstream and is now readable information for people who wish to go competitive.

Thanks M2k.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I thought everyone knew about this though. Maybe the dodge roll spammers know.

Anyways moving on

It should be called stutter rolling if anything. It's like stutter stepping Fsmashes but with rolling amirite?
No.
This makes use of the momentum from a dash to slide a bit during the first few frames of the roll.
Stutterstepping cause a bit of a teleport due to the animation of the attack. i.e. Sonic and Mario Fsmashes.

This is more akin to expanding the range of a Dsmash after doing a dash pivot and then sliding the other direction slightly.

I think characters who have little friction or high speed benefit most but Sonic doesn't because he uses a different method that offers him more control over it.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Oh Mew2king. Everything you say is apparently golden.

I mean no offence, but I thought that this was well known already. Especially for no-skilled-spammy-rollers like myself who spam the R-button like Sheik spams F-tilt.

But at least you posted it for others to see. I guess newbies who just got the game for Christmas and want to get competitive can learn a bit too. Good job.

coattails

Smash Rookie
Did you know if you hit A after pressing X you can attack in the air?
This is sometimes useful for whenever there is someone in the air you need to attack!

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
i cant tell if this is a troll attempt or a complete noob. either way...:ohwell:
I'm pretty sure it's a joke >.<

And though it's not revolutionary, I appreciate any tips the pros feel like sharing with us. Every little bit counts, right?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah, M2K needs to post that this was a joke before people start saying "You can roll out of a run for extra distance" is a AT...

This is a joke...right?

Learn2Play....Mew2Roll

Niko_K

Smash Master
If you know what stutter stepping is, you'll understand what M2K is talking about.

Stutter Roll :O

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yeah, M2K needs to post that this was a joke before people start saying "You can roll out of a run for extra distance" is a AT...

This is a joke...right?

Learn2Play....Mew2Roll
I hope so . . . But if not, I've created a variation on this to add to camping mindgames.

First, camp.

Second, Run towards your opponent.

Third, Shield and hit backwards to roll and give yourself extra space. If your opponent is dumb, they'll jump on that space and use there biggest laggy attack leaving you ample time to throw sh*t at them.

I call it the Arby Roll. I'll soon be releasing 4 other quasi-ATs including the Arby Shake, and several others that will constitute my biggest contribution to competitive Smash, Arby's 5 for 5 combo. It will be the equivalent of Magnum in Zoolander.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I guess newbies who just got the game for Christmas and want to get competitive can learn a bit too. Good job.
<_<
If you know what stutter stepping is, you'll understand what M2K is talking about.

Stutter Roll :O
It's not like a stutter step really....
I'm impressed at just how many people seem to think that all he's saying is "Roll out of a run ."
I know, right? Like, are we this n00bish?

Top Bottom