• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock, Paper, Scissors

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
He COULD just shield.

But if multiple things can account for rock, **** just gets confusing!

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
This is true, but dont let that idea detract value from the fact that there IS all those little categories, and thats why smash is what it is. =]

Geist

Smash Master
So wait, if Marth was spacing fairs against Falcon's shield, would that be scissors vs rock in the case of scissors winning? Or would that be an offensive rock vs a defensive rock?
And if Falcon timed a nair out of shield and hit that marth, would that be scissors dominating rock?

Or would is shield pressure in this situation paper?
I'm confused. Because if it's rock vs. rock, then scissors beats rock...
and if it's scissors vs. rock, then scissors can beat rock if falcon's timing is off.
If it's paper vs. rock, Marth can still get the favorable outcome if Falcon chooses scissors.

Even though the options resemble rock paper scissors, I think Smash is a bit more complicated >_>

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
This is true, but dont let that idea detract value from the fact that there IS all those little categories, and thats why smash is what it is. =]
That is also true, but don't let the complexity of the game distract you from the simple goal of each match - to take off stocks. And to have fun, of course. But since when has Rock, Paper, Scissors not been fun?

So wait, if Marth was spacing fairs against Falcon's shield, would that be scissors vs rock in the case of scissors winning? Or would that be an offensive rock vs a defensive rock?
And if Falcon timed a nair out of shield and hit that marth, would that be scissors dominating rock?

Or would is shield pressure in this situation paper?
I'm confused. Because if it's rock vs. rock, then scissors beats rock...
and if it's scissors vs. rock, then scissors can beat rock if falcon's timing is off.
If it's paper vs. rock, Marth can still get the favorable outcome if Falcon chooses scissors.

Even though the options resemble rock paper scissors, I think Smash is a bit more complicated >_>
Marth's Fairs vs Falcon's Shield = Rock vs Rock

The time from where MArth can be punished vs getting hit by Falcon = Scissors vs Rock where Marth's original Rock turns to Scissors

OR

Marth's continued Fairs vs Falcon's timed Nair = Rock vs Paper where Falcon's shield (Rock) turned into an Nair (Paper)

This is a case where the Fairs vs the Shield is one throw (Rock vs Rock) and a second one after that (Scissors vs Rock/Rock vs Paper)

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
We've forgotten one of the most important things...

to win at rock paper scissors, you need mindgames.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
That came out wrong, sorry. What I mean was, you could consider Falcon hitting Marth to be Falcon's advantage, Rock vs Paper. Or you could consider Marth getting hit by Falcon to be Marth's DISadvantage, Scissors vs Rock.

Geist

Smash Master

Marth's Fairs vs Falcon's Shield = Rock vs Rock

The time from where MArth can be punished vs getting hit by Falcon = Scissors vs Rock where Marth's original Rock turns to Scissors

OR

Marth's continued Fairs vs Falcon's timed Nair = Rock vs Paper where Falcon's shield (Rock) turned into an Nair (Paper)

This is a case where the Fairs vs the Shield is one throw (Rock vs Rock) and a second one after that (Scissors vs Rock/Rock vs Paper)
The things that were getting me was that Marth can break through falcon's shield, so paper beats rock.

So that means Marth's fair is Rock, Paper, and Scissors. shweeet
Okay so this all makes sense afterall :D lol

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Well, the thing is, any game with advantages, disadvantages, or neutrals can be compared to RPS. It's such a huge generalization.

So yeah, I agree, Smash is similar to RPS.

Geist

Smash Master

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
yea, what if two people throw the same move, for the same reason, at the same time. they trade hits and one person is affected differently.

*shrug*

Geist

Smash Master
Technically that's because of hitboxes, which determine priority. If thw moves colide with similar priority they clank, and have pullback animations. This happens unless the move outprioritizes the other by a lot, like Pichu vs. Sheik. Because the hitbox extends further than the other move's hitbox and reaches into the character's area where they are damaged, it is outprioritized.
In air you don't have these clank animations, so you always trade hits, unless the move outprioritizes the other by alot.

I don't know if that's what you're asking, but w.e.

Geist

Smash Master
Oh well.
I guess in the analogy of RPS, the person with better spacing/timing would be winning the RPS throw.

Although that's still a bit odd, because you can relate that analogy with anything in real life that can lose to anything else.

Example: truck vs. guy.
Truck is scissors, guy is paper. Scissors wins.

Water vs. Cat.
Water is paper, cat is rock.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
Every fighting game, at it's very very very core, is RPS. Throw beats shield, shield beats attack, attack beats throw. It's the fighting games that go infinitely deeper into this system that last in the long run. Melee, Third Strike, Marvel, all have a RPS element, but they are also insanely deep.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
the principals of rps apply to all competitive games
ofcourse there are games more deep than just rps and have all sorts of options

Geist

Smash Master
Every fighting game, at it's very very very core, is RPS. Throw beats shield, shield beats attack, attack beats throw. It's the fighting games that go infinitely deeper into this system that last in the long run. Melee, Third Strike, Marvel, all have a RPS element, but they are also insanely deep.
Don't forget SF and GG :D

And I fully agree with you Smash God, Smash does = life.

Binx

Smash Master
Most situations in smash are rock paper scissors when you get down to it, but there is also more because rock paper and scissors aren't all balanced options, for example donkey kong is much more likely to use his bair than his forward smash so you really don't need to worry about rock (forward smash) as much because he is less likely to use it.

Fox runs at Marth, Marth can spot dodge, jump, run away, or grab. Fox can shield out of his run, wavedash, aerial, or grab, or I guess a running shine if he wants. So immediately both players have about 1/2 to a full second to decide on their option based on what they think the opponent will do.

So if Marth thinks fox will do an aerial then he needs to run just a little bit turn around and grab him and chain throw him to death, if the Fox expects that he can run forward a little bit extra before the grab, if Marth expects a grab he can spot dodge, if fox expects a spot dodge he can shield for a few frames before grabbing, if Marth expects the shield he can short hop a fair while DIing away, or he can just grab, if Fox expects Marth to jump he can nair or upsmash. If Marth expects the upsmash he can shield grab.

But you can't really simplify the game into 3 game states like that because they don't really work that way, it is similar in that it's a 'guessing' game. But different in the fact that there are many more than 3 options.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
It's not that there are three options, I've already clarified this.

It's that there are three situations. One of which, you get a positive outcome, another with a negative outcome, and another with a neutral outcome.

Top Bottom