• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Smash = Rock, Paper, Scissors

If Sheik dash attacks you, they're using Rock. You either use Rock (sheild - block), Paper (dodge completely), or Scissors (get hit). If you shield grab, then you're using Rock-Paper, to Sheik's Rock-Rock.

OR. Shield grab could be Paper, because then you're getting the benefit. And dodge could be coupled with Rock, as a shield, because you weren't hit by hit.

AND. If Sheik combos out of the dash attack that she hit you with, then it's Rock-Rock to your Scissors-Scissors.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Insights? Epiphanies?

EDIT: Read posts 26 and 28

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
You on edge = Rock.

They get back on the stage. Rock

You successfully edgeguard them. Scissors

They either switch the edgeguard-er and edgeguard-ee positions, or kill you on their way back. Paper

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Some questions:

Crouch cancelling? You're taking damage, but intentionally, so that you can strike back.

Aerials that exchange blows? Both of you take damage and knockback.

And lastly, what about a falcon punch? Its intensity can not be described in terms of such feeble objects as rocks, pieces of paper, or pairs scissors. A falcon punch is a combination of a gigantic pair of scissors, formed by two machetes on a rock pivot, with rock handles for a better grip. The blades of these scissors are then covered in a paper mache with highly flammable adhesive, which is, of course, lit on fire. If further awesomeness is needed (for example, to embody a knee to falcon punch combo), you can give the machete-scissors some plasma-vision.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
They attack you. Rock

Crouch Cancel. Rock. A blow for a blow. Or maybe it could be Scissors-Paper to a Rock-Rock?

Aerials that exchange blows Are either Rock to Rock or Rock-Rock to Scissors-Paper.

Falcon Punch = Rock, Paper, Scissors, CHUCK NORRIS

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I thought of something like this once.

Attack = rock
Grab = scissors
Shield = paper

The problem is, with good spacing and abuse of shield stun, attacks can beat shield... And shield can beat grab with a spot dodge... And a lot of times you just use these things to punish an opponent who whiffed something.

I don't know about getting hit = scissors, you're pretty much grouping all losing actions together. You could pick nothing, which would be a dodge that doesn't get you a hit, or just getting hit with no resistance. And what do you call it when you jump away and hit with fox's laser? In fact, what about the projectile game in general?

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that there's a RPS aspect to the game. After all, Drephen is famous for abusing that aspect with grabs, spot dodges, and dsmashes. People call him annoying, but the fact is that he is effective.

However, I don't think that the entire game can be generalized that way. Also, it applies to Sheik really well, but not as much to other characters. Falco or Fox with laser spam?

And how about a C. Falcon inescapable throw -> knee combo? It's like rock-paper to just paper, since the second hit is only what C. Falcon does.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Just because the two games share the same principles doesn't mean you can draw connecting lines to everything

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
how about the shine?
it could be used as offensively or defensively

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
The shine's use would depend on whether or not it is Rock, Paper, or Scissors. I'm not grouping different moves as different RPS throws, I'm grouping their situations.

Shield -> Spotdodge = Rock-Rock to Rock-Rock. Nobody is hit, nobody hits.

Falcon's inescapable combo is Paper by itself to Rock. The grab and ultimately the hit aren't separate hits in this situation, because the second one can't be avoided anyways.

If you hit with Fox's laser/projectile, then you Paper'd their Rock. If you pressured them into the position you wanted them with your laser/projectile, then you also Paper'd their Rock.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
in different situations succeeding with either rock paper or scissors can give you different results.
So its like playing rock paper scissors for points and rock gives you 10 points, scissors gives you 8 and paper gives you 4, best to 40 wins.

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
Since when in the history of rock paper scissors can you use "rock paper".

or rock rock.

I dont really agree with this, as its a little farfetched just for application purposes, it really doesnt fit, in my mind.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Attack > Grab > Block >Attack
scissors > Paper > Rock > Scissors

Basic knowledge.
This. You're not equating RPS to options that players have, you're equating it to possible outcomes, which makes absolutely no sense. Rock, paper, and scissors are each options available to both players that can beat the opposing player's options. There's no correlation between RPS and the parallel you are trying to make.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Why not?

It's a way to classify the three outcomes in smash: negative, positive, and neutral. Sure you can lean one way or another, but I'm not getting into anything technical with the RPS thing. That's the whole point <.<;;

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Oh, now I understand what you meant. You definitely didn't explain it very well. I read "Rock-Rock" as "Rock vs. Rock," not "picked Rock twice."

Even so, I don't think RPS is really a good analogy. But now that I understand what you meant, I guess it's something interesting to think about.

EDIT: And you totally didn't mention "positive, negative, neutral" in the OP at all.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah sorry but I kind of did that on purpose :p

I wanted people to think about it first and see what they came up with, and then I'd tell you guys what I was trying to convey.

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
theres just to many variables to classify it as rock paper scissors.

for instance, if two characters attack each other the outcomes are: You get hit, they get hit, the attacks cancel each other out, or you trade hits.

thats negative, positive, neutral, and ????????? outcomes.

when you throw in all the possibilities, **** gets real and you cant use the RPS analogy anymore. at least thats how i see it, i could be missing a big key part, though.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Different*

Every topic on smashboards these days are presented in the same way, I thought it'd be interesting to switch it up a bit.

Shouldn't people be given a chance to think it over themselves first?

EDIT:
theres just to many variables to classify it as rock paper scissors.

for instance, if two characters attack each other the outcomes are: You get hit, they get hit, the attacks cancel each other out, or you trade hits.

thats negative, positive, neutral, and ????????? outcomes.

when you throw in all the possibilities, **** gets real and you cant use the RPS analogy anymore. at least thats how i see it, i could be missing a big key part, though.
When you trade hits, is it not just neutral? If you have a higher percent, then hitting and killing you is what your opponent was aiming for anyways. You dying would be your loss, in that case.

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
But its not neutral, canceling it out would be neutral since nothing happened.

both players took damage, so if we traded hits and I died, its like we both through out a rock except at the last second they went LOLPAPER, but not entirely on purpose.

it doesnt work... we did the same thing, and i died because of a factor outside of the RPS scenario.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
The shine's use would depend on whether or not it is Rock, Paper, or Scissors. I'm not grouping different moves as different RPS throws, I'm grouping their situations.

Shield -> Spotdodge = Rock-Rock to Rock-Rock. Nobody is hit, nobody hits.

Falcon's inescapable combo is Paper by itself to Rock. The grab and ultimately the hit aren't separate hits in this situation, because the second one can't be avoided anyways.

If you hit with Fox's laser/projectile, then you Paper'd their Rock. If you pressured them into the position you wanted them with your laser/projectile, then you also Paper'd their Rock.

Read that again..

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
ok, so actions are now classified by the outcomes, and not the actions themselves. so rock is paper if something in particular happens? That is a time paradox, my friend.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
ok, so actions are now classified by the outcomes, and not the actions themselves. so rock is paper if something in particular happens? That is a time paradox, my friend.
So, hey, do you just like to start ****? If you don't like the game, don't play, but I see some people actually enjoying themselves.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Think of it this way. P1 has 3 stocks and 50%, P2 has 3 stocks and 150%. P1 sees that P2 is going to try and aerial him (Rock). So P1 will throw Paper, another aerial to meet P2's aerial (whenever 2 aerials collide, the players trade hits). P2 either dies or gets knocked off the stage, while P1 is fine.

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
So, hey, do you just like to start ****? If you don't like the game, don't play, but I see some people actually enjoying themselves.
...WHAT? If im coming off with an IM RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG tone, thats my bad.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like smash can be explained with a rock paper scissors mentality.

Think of it this way. P1 has 3 stocks and 50%, P2 has 3 stocks and 150%. P1 sees that P2 is going to try and aerial him (Rock). So P1 will throw Paper, another aerial to meet P2's aerial (whenever 2 aerials collide, the players trade hits). P2 either dies or gets knocked off the stage, while P1 is fine.
I see what you mean, but at those percentages, anything that p1 throws out will be paper. Also, it is pre-determined that P1 intends to trade hits a certain way.

What if his original intent was to throw out a rock? its automatically paper by default simply because someone travels further at a higher percent.

Your theory just has a lot of little tiny holes, in my opinion.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
...WHAT? If im coming off with an IM RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG tone, thats my bad.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like smash can be explained with a rock paper scissors mentality.
Alrighty, gotcha haha. Yes you were, no problem.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Rock, Paper, Scissors, FALCON PUNCH?!

xMosmo: I see what you mean. But if P1 wanted to do Rock, he could just shield. That isn't Paper.

Top Bottom