• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin nerfed?

Have you played FE:A?

• What the heck is that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
I know I'm a bit late but, I heard Robin was nerfed in the recent updates. I never really knew what the nerds were, only the arc fire nerf (which pisses me off). Can you guys shed some light on the situation and some tips with this new Robin?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I know I'm a bit late but, I heard Robin was nerfed in the recent updates. I never really knew what the nerds were, only the arc fire nerf (which pisses me off). Can you guys shed some light on the situation and some tips with this new Robin?
This is actually completely false. Robin received nothing but buffs.

Robin's most significant buff was the increase in usability for his/her Wind Tome jab; it juggles for more hits on foes now and is just as reliable as the Fire Tome jab.

The downside is that you might be inclined to use the Wind Tome more in jab strings, which can come back to bite you later if you get thrown off stage a lot.

There were one or two other miscellaneous buffs, but I don't remember them, so if someone else could elaborate, I would appreciate that.

Also I love that image in your sig.

Last edited:

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
I noticed that arcfire was easier to get out of more than before. Or is it just me?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Actually, here's the full confirmed changelist to Robin's moves since the last patch:

A list on everything to think about for the patch:

Jabs 1/2/Wind/Fire - CONFIRMED BUFF - Wind Jab links together more consistently. Easy to do at low percentages, linking eventually can be DIed out of a little bit after when Wind Jab would KO.
Ftilt - CONFIRMED BUFF - Ftilt's deadspot at Robin's wrist is partially fixed. Deadspot can still happen against opponents who walk into it.
Dtilt
Utilt

Fsmash/Levin Fsmash
Dsmash/Levin Dsmash
Usmash/Levin Usmash

Nair
Fair/Levin Fair
Uair/Levin Uair
Dair/Levin Dair
Bair/Levin Bair

Grab/Dash Grab/Pivot Grab
Pummel
Fthrow
Dthrow
Bthrow
Uthrow

Thunder/Thunder+/Speed Thunder
Arcfire/Arcfire+/Fire Wall
Elwind/Soaring Elwind/Gliding Elwind
Nosferatu/Distant Nosferatu/Goetia

Getup Attack
Ledge Getup Attack

Discarded Levin Sword toss
Discarded Levin Sword Z-Drop
Discarded Levin Sword throw
Discarded Levin Sword Smash throw
Discarded Tome toss - CONFIRMED BUFF - Tomes will not disappear on platforms if you grab them in time, when before they would disappear from Robin's hand anyway.
Discarded Tome Z-Drop
Discarded Tome throw
Discarded Tome Smash Throw

Walk Speed
Run Speed
Forward Roll
Back Roll
Ledge Roll
Forward Tech Roll
Back Tech Roll
Forward Pratfall Roll
Back Pratfall Roll
Jump Squat
Short Hop
Full Hop
Double Jump
Spotdodge
Airdodge
Fall Speed/Fastfall Speed
Foxtrot
Pivot tilts/Fsmash
So yeah, ignore that edit I made, Robin only got buffed.

That Arcfire thing is probably just you.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I need to go bck and fix that patch list. The book glitch is still there, it just doesn't apply to the Levin Sword either anymore, and Jab 2 definitely did receive a nerf.

Everything else is either a buff or remained the same.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Ahh... are we sure on the "bounced books can still be grabbed off platforms" part? I've snagged a few and had them vanish from Robin's hand moments later, it seems like.

Also, Wind Jab is still fairly easy to escape from for most characters. It worked great for a few days when people had no idea Robin even had this move. Now that they've caught on, I find myself scoring very few kills with it and just going back to Fire Jab instead. ...That is, when Fire Jab even connects. Some characters now fall out after Jab 2 before I can get Fire Jab to connect.

It actually feels to me like Robin got nerfed due to the jab change, except in a handful of matchups where KO Wind Jabs are reliable.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I need to get that corrected. The tome thing is unfortunately false. I swear I did it in training mode a few times, though. :(

Jab2's KB/hitstun got nerfed slightly in order to help it link better into Wind Jab.

And Wind Jab is godlike, so I consider it a net buff. It just means Fire Jab is less reliable at low percents.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Ahh... are we sure on the "bounced books can still be grabbed off platforms" part? I've snagged a few and had them vanish from Robin's hand moments later, it seems like.

Also, Wind Jab is still fairly easy to escape from for most characters. It worked great for a few days when people had no idea Robin even had this move. Now that they've caught on, I find myself scoring very few kills with it and just going back to Fire Jab instead. ...That is, when Fire Jab even connects. Some characters now fall out after Jab 2 before I can get Fire Jab to connect.

It actually feels to me like Robin got nerfed due to the jab change, except in a handful of matchups where KO Wind Jabs are reliable.
Wind Jab isn't a reliable KO option (barring a few matchups), but it consistently does a ton of damage now.

Last edited:

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Isn't Arcfire harder to DI out of now?

Or Just me again?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Probably just you. I've had people pop out of it. Also had people pop out of wind jabs fairly early on, resulting in not much more damage than a fire jab would have (though fire jabs sometimes outright whiff now). I'm kind of unhappy about the changes.

Oh well. Robin is still fun to play.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I REALLY appreciate the change to Robin's wind jab; it is much more useful now. Though, from what I've observed in some of mine online matches, it seems opponents can DI horizontally out of it. So like all rapid jabs, the trick to using the move is knowing when to stop.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Yeah, I need to get that corrected. The tome thing is unfortunately false. I swear I did it in training mode a few times, though. :(

Jab2's KB/hitstun got nerfed slightly in order to help it link better into Wind Jab.

And Wind Jab is godlike, so I consider it a net buff. It just means Fire Jab is less reliable at low percents.
After I ended up dying during a match I should've won because I only had one Elwind left, I pretty much swore off using the Wind jab. It's still not that good regardless, it's still pretty easy to DI out of.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Well, the trick to avoiding that is to be sure that if you use Wind Jab once, use it TWICE just to be sure you've got the numbers down to where you don't have a single-shot Up-B waiting to happen.

It nonetheless does suck to have happen to you. I count the jab changes as a net nerf, even if it helps in a few matchups.

Altais, I've had people slip out of even a minimum-duration Wind Jab. The move is better but still not all that good in my experience.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Rexcalibur got useful indeed, I seem to use it more preferably to Fire as of late, hahah. It can be even a reliable killer in higher percents on lighter chars. Sweet stuff.

(I'm sure I'm the only one calling the Jabs these name, hahah- Rexcalibur though being same animation as the Wind Jab.)

F-tilt being now usable is also very well-needed. Haven't we come far from the days where Robin wasn't even able to ledge-grab from behind.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Okay, just to be completely, 100% clear

Was the forward tilt even buffed?

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Slightly. The deadspot has apparently been (kind of) fixed, so people standing next to you are actually hit by it.

Last edited:

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
What about up-tilt?

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
What about it? If you mean it not hitting people standing next to you, I don't think that's been fixed because from what I can tell, that's intentional.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I'm just going by the patch thread and what people have been saying.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So.. Is it just me or did they completely kill the fire jab? Yeah, the wind jab is slightly more reliable now.. But several characters can still di out of it, so whatever.

But with the fire jab, it seems like every single character has an option against it because there is practically no hitstun on jab2. Characters like Mario/Luigi can nair you in between jab2 and fire jab, and a lot of characters can just jump/airdodge out of the way.

I hold the A button down to do the fire jab, so it isn't like I'm not pressing the button down fast enough.. Did they just kill Robin's fire jab combo?

Last edited:
Top Bottom