• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't know what everyone is talking about. R.O.B. is amazing and easy to play.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
How is he easy to play? Can't defend camp/defensive R.O.B. but to me he's the hardest to learn and has among the highest learning curves when comming to offensive/approach R.O.B.. Easy to play is one thing, but learning another...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
With that logic Ganondorf is the hardest character to play because he sucks even though IMO he is one of the easiest.
Rob is a simple character. You ftilt stuff and shoot stuff when they are out of Ftilt range. There is nothing extremely weird or cool stuff for Rob like float or chaingrabs or footstool tricks or whatever the hell that can be hard to apply. Rob is just simple, he just isn't good enough.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Eh, ROB has plenty of complicated B tricks, especially with his up+b. They just aren't good.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
They don't really help that much cept against people that haven't really seen them before. No more tricky than Snake's b-reversal or falco's B-dacus. Once people know they exist, they account for them.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
thats not true lol. the up-b opens up new options that he wouldn't have otherwise, you can't just say "oh people account for them" and then pretend like its all garbage. rar up-b into bair for example, its the fastest way to put yourself into that position for a bair, its like 99% safe, and its sometimes his only option to get to the right spot fast enough to throw out any move at all.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
So with the disbanding of the URC, my region is heavily considering running MK-Legal tournaments again. There's really only two or three players I'm worried about using MK, but Bees suggested I come here and see if Chibo or Mr. Eric could give me some in-depth analysis of the matchup.

Pretty please so I don't have to gay MK's out with Icies?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So with the disbanding of the URC, my region is heavily considering running MK-Legal tournaments again. There's really only two or three players I'm worried about using MK, but Bees suggested I come here and see if Chibo or Mr. Eric could give me some in-depth analysis of the matchup.

Pretty please so I don't have to gay MK's out with Icies?
I don't think Mister Eric has ever beaten any of our notable Meta Knights, and it's not because he hasn't studied the matchup. Just tell them to run MK banned tournaments or play Meta Knight. ICs won't really do the trick.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Can't play MK. Never fit my playstyle, even though he was one of the two characters I was really excited for (the other being PT, but obviously that didn't stick either).

I'm also ridiculously biased against having a pocket MK.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Can't play MK. Never fit my playstyle, even though he was one of the two characters I was really excited for (the other being PT, but obviously that didn't stick either).

I'm also ridiculously biased against having a pocket MK.
Are we like the same person or something?

Though I got over being against a pocket MK...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If he's legal, it's your best bet. You can fight uphill if you want, but if you're looking for a better chance to win because the character you want to play can't do it it doesn't make sense to pick one character you don't want to play for a better chance over another character you don't want to play for a better chance.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I hate snake more than mk these days. We have to work so, so so much harder then they do, absolutely frustrating

:phone:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
On paper, we should beat snake. We have the tools to beat many of his options all the time. The problem is, every time we make a small mistake or get read, we eat a ton a damage. And he get's kos much earlier than we can ko him. What used to give us the edge was the fact that we might gimp him, but now it's impossible to gimp snake unless he lets us. I've been thinking about using ROB on frigate and never landing on the stage for the 2nd transformation, but we have to play so gay to get any kind of lead.

Like I said before, eff that MU. I'm going D3 lol.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I don't think Mister Eric has ever beaten any of our notable Meta Knights, and it's not because he hasn't studied the matchup. Just tell them to run MK banned tournaments or play Meta Knight. ICs won't really do the trick.
Scribz, Fonz, had super close games against Kel who knows the ROB MU prob better than I know the MK MU lol. I honestly lose to other characters more than I lose to MK.
I'm just not that good. Not anymore lol. You need to keep that in mind. I got last place at the last tournament we were both at. MK banned mind you. It's not MK that's my problem. It's school.
I am not a ROB to model after. At least not right now.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's the same guy.
Doesn't come to the R.O.B. boards much at all though.
And he missed our last tourney. :T

also Overswarm I really wish I had seen that video before the tourney I went to yesterday
goddang

Funbun

Smash Cadet
Hey guys!

So I've gotten pretty good with reversing, canceling, and wavebouncing with the gyro. I do occasionally accidently input the control stick wrong and come out with robocopter, but usually I can fix my button/stick input timing and get the reverse/wavebounce correctly after another try.

Anyway, I want to further increase my ROB's mobility/unpredictability. I know how to reverse roboburner (i.e., facing left, then move diagonally up and right, facing right). However, I do not know how to maintain the direction I'm facing (i.e., facing left, then move diagonally up and right, facing LEFT).

Yeah, I've seen Ocean and some other ROBs execute this to pull off the Bair kill. I want to learn this! I gotta know how to kill faster.

I have not yet tried executing constant reversals in the air with the roboburner, primariliy because I find it rather harder than reversing with the gyro. I tend to accidently robocopter more often trying to reverse burner. I've seen many ROBs mix these burner pivots up with Bairs, gyro pivots, the like, and I also need to get it down, to increase my options.

Thanks for the previous help, guys, btw, and I hope I can get some help with this!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I think the tech you seem to be having trouble with is Wavebouncing. The way I usually think about it is... doing the normal reverse Roboburner, but mashing the control stick diagonally in the opposite direction right after inputting it. A good way to put it is you're basically doing the reversal twice really fast.
So it'd be like Run left > control stick up and diagonally right > control stick up and diagonally left.

I have the tech itself down, but I've always had trouble really explaining how I do it. More of a muscle memory thing for me, tbh.

Hopefully that helps.

EDIT:
Here's a video explaining what you said you're able to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7dKywvtpu8
What you basically want to do is B-Reverse that so that you end up facing left (from the B-Reversal) while moving Right (from the Reverse Momentum Special).
That's sorta how it works.

If I had access to my Wii right now I could list the actual inputs I use but I'm off of it until June. :T

Funbun

Smash Cadet
I think the tech you seem to be having trouble with is Wavebouncing. The way I usually think about it is... doing the normal reverse Roboburner, but mashing the control stick diagonally in the opposite direction right after inputting it. A good way to put it is you're basically doing the reversal twice really fast.
So it'd be like Run left > control stick up and diagonally right > control stick up and diagonally left.

I have the tech itself down, but I've always had trouble really explaining how I do it. More of a muscle memory thing for me, tbh.

Hopefully that helps.

EDIT:
Here's a video explaining what you said you're able to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7dKywvtpu8
What you basically want to do is B-Reverse that so that you end up facing left (from the B-Reversal) while moving Right (from the Reverse Momentum Special).
That's sorta how it works.

If I had access to my Wii right now I could list the actual inputs I use but I'm off of it until June. :T
No, sometimes I just completely mess up, like, I input the B button a bit too late, so it registers at a side B.

Yeah, I think I do have trouble wavebouncing, specifically for the burner.

What you stated:
left > control stick up and diagonally right > control stick up and diagonally left.
I can do that with with moderate consistency, yeah.

This, however:

I don't understand how to do. How can I perform this if my momentum is going to the right in the first place?

Basically, this, right? I don't know how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r23u4yA0jQ&feature=related @ 1:08

Btw, that video is pretty helpful, thanks!

EDIT: Wow. I played around today and I actually got it down (what was done in the video). I can't even explain how it works, but it works very often. What I do know, however, is that it seems that I just dash in a direction and then input the two reversals. Apparently, I tried doing this without dashing, for some reason, so I couldn't get it down before.

Now all I need to do is master this.... God, ROB is amazing, and amazingly difficult.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
The issue you had performing it without a dash is that you cannot wavebounce without horizontal momentum.
And yeah, like I said, it's kinda hard to explain once you get it.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
The issue you had performing it without a dash is that you cannot wavebounce without horizontal momentum.
And yeah, like I said, it's kinda hard to explain once you get it.

Haha I can do both the wavebounce and the reversal, now, too. At about 70% consistency.

Right now, the last thing I need to be able to do is the reverse wavebounce laser. I can't seem to get the timing down, and sometimes I just, yet again, wavebounce robocopter instead. I seem to only get it down 30% of the time.

Anybody got any tips on how to get this? The last thing I want in a match, is to get punished because I accidently robocopter trying to pull off any of ROBs wavebounces. Or even worse, kill myself trying to do so.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
All the wavebounces/b-reversals/whatever use the exact same inputs no matter what special you're doing it with, it's just that you start the tech using a different special. Just do whatever you're doing for the Robo Booster but don't angle your control stick up.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
Alright, I can do it pretty well now, even better. I've gotten a much better understanding of the burner and the gyro reversals/wavebounces.

Also, I've learned the exact way to reverse the burner while maintain the dashing momentum in one direction; you simply input ONLY the burner in the opposite diagonal-up direction, then IMMEDIATELY push the control stick back into the direction of the momentum.

On the contrary, for the wavebounce, you would ROLL the control stick 145 degrees in the opposite direction. I think I self managed to use different control stick inputs with the same "B press" timing, so I think I got this!

Haha dettadeus, it's just the timing for the reverse/wavebounce laser that's pretty difficult. I still find it difficult to IMMEDIATELY push the control stick in the opposite direction AFTER inputting the B button. Obviously, inputting the control stick too late would result in no reversal, whereas inputting it too early results in the robocopter coming out. I guess it's just a matter of practice. I'm just much more used to rolling and shoving the control stick around for the other two specials; it's easier to time with all that movement.

I'm going to start practicing the "gyro drop -> aerial -> catch gyro" thing and the "glide toss into up-tilt", too. Any tips on these? The "glide toss into up-tilt", for me, seems just to be a small matter of moving the control stick up BEFORE inputting the A button, to prevent doing an Usmash instead.

For the other one, I can only do by an accidental jumble of pressing the Z, A, and control stick in a convoluted fashion. I can only replicate the prior, like, 20% of the time. This is probably the worst of my technique executions, mostly because it seems to require the fastest motor speed.

Again, thanks for your help; I really want to participate in some tournaments when I get into college, maybe even Apex!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
For doing aerials while maintaining control of your gyro, unless you're doing Nair (which is highly unlikely), just do Z-drop > C-Stick. Make sure to always be falling downwards somewhat when you do this, otherwise the gyro will drop too far for your aerial to regrab it.

Glide toss into U-Tilt would probably be easier if you get used to inputting the U-Tilt as tilting the control stick upwards and then hitting the C-Stick up. Even easier if you have tap-jump off because you can't jump instead of getting ready for the U-Tilt, but I like tap-jump on for R.O.B.

And lol, you can call me Detta. I don't even remember why I added the "deus" part on, just that something was preventing me from registering with just Detta.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
1. Anything generally tech-skill related, like Gyrobouncing, or wavebouncing in general. Especially the various ways to reverse Robo-Booster.

2. You could practice that cool gyro thing OCEAN does on Battlefield where he ledgedrops, fires a gyro into the bottom of Battlefield, Z-Catches it and flies back up.

3. Turn Smart-Bombs on and aim at them with your laser on large stages. My aim with the laser is only insane because I used to play a lot of explosives-only matches with my friends and I would just laser Bob-ombs and Smart Bombs right before they'd pick them up, then laugh as they explode in my friends' faces.
When you're good at this, use Deku Nuts, which are significantly smaller.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
That third option is really smart, I like it. I definitely need to work on the wavebouncing and all that good stuff, but it gets really repetitive, that's a good way to have a break.

That gyro thing has killed me so many times :p I get cocky with my friends and do it, but I just airdodge catch it and die :p

Thanks!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
If you press shield almost immediately after starting to charge your gyro, you'll cancel it before it begins charging and therefore there isn't a sound.

Top Bottom