• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RMT BW OU - My Return to Competitive Battling

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Spiky (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Standard Ferrothorn lead, sets up Spikes and walls anything that doesn't have fire

Fetus (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

My fave late game sweeper, nothing can kill this and if you can't roar it out it just s***s on your pokemon.

Yandle (Yanmega) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash

Another Late game sweeper, but it can also sweep in mid game with the right luck. I've had ridiculous luck with Air Slash so far, flinching at all the right moments

Max (Swampert) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

A tank, sets up rocks and f***s s*** up. My fave pokemon ever

Cheater (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dragon Claw

Revenge Killer and Pseudo Sweeper

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spinner

The team has 4-2 record in 6 games

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I'm not a competitive player, but even I can tell you that you need to fix Haxorus' nature. Since it doesn't have any special attacks, go with either use Jolly to outspeed stuff or Adamant to hit harder.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Your Scarf Haxorus is the only thing stopping this team from getting **** on by just about the entire metagame.

Cloyster? Salamence? Latios? Dragonite? Hydreigon? Lucario? Scizor? Weather teams?

This team has such inoperably large weaknesses it's hard to not notice.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Your Scarf Haxorus is the only thing stopping this team from getting **** on by just about the entire metagame.

Cloyster? Salamence? Latios? Dragonite? Hydreigon? Lucario? Scizor? Weather teams?

This team has such inoperably large weaknesses it's hard to not notice.
3 of the teams I beat had a Cloyster, and one had a Salamence and a Scizor and one was a Rain team

Also, instead of just pointing out weaknesses, could you maybe give me suggestions as to how to fix them? (sorry if that sounded like I was being a douche, it wasn't intentional)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
OU isn't really my thing but even I can see a lot of problems with this team.

Changes and commentary are in bold.

Spiky (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball Power Whip - Both Power Whip and Gyro Ball are pretty terrible attacks, but Power Whip is used because it has more PP, does more damage against Chansey and Blissey, and can hit Politoed and other water types for super-effective damage. Power Whip is also able to always OHKO Tyranitar even without hazards instead of needing hazards up to OHKO 100% of the time.
- Protect You should strongly consider Thunder Wave. You have no way to get status on pokemon that aren't grounded and all of your pokemon except for Yanmega and Tentacruel are really, really slow. Thunder Wave will benefit your team more overall than using Protect to seedstall random pokemon.

Standard Ferrothorn lead, sets up Spikes and walls anything that doesn't have fire
I love how people say that something is a "lead" when Team Preview has made the concept of lead pokemon mostly irrelevant. Hilarious. Anyway, this set really only needed Power Whip for sure, the rest is debatable.

Fetus (Reuniclus) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic Consider Psyshock so that you have a way to hit Chansey and Blissey.
- Focus Blast Maybe consider HP Fighting? Focus Blast is kind of crap and you have time to boost high enough that it will still hit really hard.

My fave late game sweeper, nothing can kill this and if you can't roar it out it just s***s on your pokemon.
No major changes to this set BUT I will say that if you are going to run this guy, you NEED counters to Tyranitar, Scizor, Jirachi, and Latias on your team, which you lack. Believe it or not, Tyranitar and Scizor CAN kill this quite easily and Latias and Jirachi can shrug off both of your attacks after which point they can either paralyze you (Jirachi), phaze you (Latias), or trick a choice item onto you (both). Dragonite can also be a problem because he can set up on you for free with Multiscale and 2HKO with Outrage before you have time to kill him. You really, really, really need checks to all of these pokemon on your team and the fact that you lack them is part of the "inoperably large weaknesses" that Ulti mentioned.

Yandle (Yanmega) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash

Another Late game sweeper, but it can also sweep in mid game with the right luck. I've had ridiculous luck with Air Slash so far, flinching at all the right moments

Yeah, no. Yanmega hasn't been good since the Hypnosis nerf in Platinum. Instead use this:

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance

You want to talk about late game sweeping? TechniLoom is probably the best pokemon in the game for that right now. With a reasonable number of hazards out, there is very little that any pokemon in OU can do against him. I'm not even going to say any more than that. Just play this set and you'll know how good it is.

Max (Swampert) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

A tank, sets up rocks and f***s s*** up. My fave pokemon ever

Because of all the ridiculous power creep in Gen V, Swampert is just not that good anymore. I really think this slot could be better used by someone else who can do more relevant things in the metagame. Instead try this:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Unlike Swampert who can pretty much only set up rocks before getting Power Whipped to death by Ferrothorn, Jirachi can do a lot of relevant things after it has set up rocks like passing wishes or annoying the **** out of your opponent with hax.

Cheater (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dragon Claw

Revenge Killer and Pseudo Sweeper

Haxorus isn't a bad pokemon and honestly you could probably afford to keep him (look into Dual Chop over Dragon Claw so you can break subs more easily), but as far as Scarfers go I really think you could do better. Try this instead:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf
- Trick

This doesn't hit as many things quite as hard as Haxorus but the added speed is extremely useful, Surf and HP Fire finally give you a way to check Scizor (sort of), and Trick screws over stalling pokemon, which your team does not seem to have any real answer to. Latios is also much faster than Haxorus and can outspeed any other dragon in OU after a DD (and neutral nature Venusaur in the sun), which is a huge deal given your teams aforementioned weakness to Dragonite/Lati@s/Salamence/Haxorus/etc.

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spinner

Without Yanmega on your team you really don't need a Rapid Spinner, and I'm not that familiar with the current state of OU but if it's anything like Ubers (all the big threats are immune, Tentacruel and Forry are really common, etc.) then Toxic Spikes probably aren't all that useful. Once you take those two things into account, Tentacruel ends up as a pretty mediocre rain check who can't do a lot of useful stuff on your team aside from occasional burn support. With that said, since you already have two sets of entry hazards on your team and you could still stand to gain from another TTar/Dragon counter, I reccommend this set:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Sacred Sword
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Another straightforward set designed to reduce your weakness to TTar as much as possible. With Breloom and Ferrothorn taking care of rain and Sun and Hail being terrible, Sand is the biggest remaining weather threat to your team. Tyranitar gets OHKO'd by pretty much every move on this set and a lot of the steel types that accompany him will either die outright or be heavily damaged. The only danger is switching in on Earthquake, Fire Blast, or Sub instead of Crunch or a supporting move. Terrakion also outspeeds the dragons that Latios does which further helps you against non-weather aggressive teams.

The team has 4-2 record in 6 games
That's not very impressive, and personally I don't think it's even enough to get to know the intricacies of your team and what it's weak to. Also, when you ladder less than ten games starting from a new account, your opponents will not be the best indicators of how your team fares against the metagame as a whole (in fact, they'll probably suck). Unless you start of 0-5 in which case your team is obviously really flawed, you usually need about 15-20 games under your belt before deciding whether or not your team is fine as is or not. 10 is the bare minimum.
Wow, I made a lot more changes than I initially anticipated, changing over half your team..

...and you're still weak to Scizor and Tyranitar. Oh well, this is at least better than your original team.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Thanks for making huge changes Gates.

The hidden reason why I didn't suggest **** was because this team is unsalvagable. Gates changed 4 members of your team completely to make it any decent.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ehh, it was really just Swampert and Yanmega that needed to go. I thought about keeping Tentacruel around and making it a rain team, but I don't know **** about making a rain team in OU so I decided to go weather neutral.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Use politoed, then choose thunderus/tornados-t, then have ferrothorn and tentacruel as your support, then have scizor to revenge kill, last slot open to a dragon of your choice

Rain making 101, simple and effective

Also, if you plan to keep tentacruel, use leftovers so if he gets tricked, no one else on your team gets black sludge

:phone:

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
K, so I decided to make a rain team.

It's probably not very good, so let's make it better :D

Toedsworth (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hypnosis
- Perish Song
- Protect

Defensive Politoed sets up rain this guys Moveset is crap fix it please

Vappy (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Toxic

Hydrarest Vaporeon, Walls stuff and gives no ****s about anything you throw at it

Skar (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Defensive Skarmory, sets up spikes and gets rid of stupid sub users

Dart (Toxicroak) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

My only Sweeper, standard Bulk Up Toxicroak

Fortress (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Toxic Spikes

Rocks, T Spikes and Spinner

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Spin Blocker, Special Wall, Burns things that can't be Poisoned

One thing I've noticed is a weakness to Electric type attacks, Suggestions? Yet somehow, this team has made 5 out of 5 people I've battled Ragequit

Well, time for all of you to RIP THIS TEAM APART

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well, time for all of you to RIP THIS TEAM APART
That team actually looks ok for the most part.

You don't really need a spinner since Toxicroak absorbs T. Spikes and you don't really need T. Spikes because they're just not that essential in the format, so you could easily replace Forry with Ferrothorn.

Your team is also full of pokemon who have really bad attacking coverage, which means that your team is still fairly weak to dragons. A ScarfMence or ScarfLati@s could help you here but I can't think of what you'd cut for it.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i feel like you're trying too hard to make a stall team while at the same time, trying to make it so every pokemon has to abuse the rain

it's okay as a team, but literally once politoed is gone a large portion of your team goes down with it

for your weakness to electric types, you can use jolteon over forretress, he walls electric types and your team covers his ground weakness quite well

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Jolteon with HP Ice is actually a really good idea, but he can't outspeed boosted dragons without a scarf, which is a problem. Maybe go with a Modest scarf build?

I'm also not sure replacing Forry with anything but Ferrothorn is a good idea. Replacing Skarm would be better imo.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Forrey I feel brings less to the team than skarmory did and skarm has better synergy with jolteon

And running a scarf on jolteon is pointless when he runs that much speed, he needs the specs to deal any worthwhile damage

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If Dragonite, Salamence, or Haxorus get a DD, there's no way for Jolteon to beat them without Scarf. Hell, he can't even outspeed Gyarados after a DD.

Those are the most immediate threats to this team.

Hence, he doesn't have a choice (no pun intended) but to run Scarf, even though the damage would be way better with Specs.

ss118

Smash Master
Mamoswine would also help a bit with your Salamence weakness. As of now he can come in on the majority of your pokemon (Haxorous not stuck in a dragon move, but not Yanmega), and threatens a kill with a simple Draco Meteor. Sure you may be able to play around him a little with Tentacruel + ferrothorn, but imo it's usually only a matter of time before he wears you down. Having a good secondary check in Mamowine is good combined with Haxorous, and it might even be better if Yanmega has protect... but SR is good so even that would not be ideal.

wtf I haven't looked at pokemon in forever. lol

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Fairly certain jolteon outruns both gyarados and dragonite at +1, since they'll probably run adamant

Dragonite has extremespeed and extreme bulk so jolteon wasn't beating him anyways

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
DD Gyarados doesn't exist anymore, so looking at either is a void cause, really.

Top Bottom