• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

akf09

Smash Apprentice
so i went to the smash fest and couldnt get too many people to test with me, one idea tho was that the percentage gauges should change color as they take damage so its easier to look at it out of the corner of your eye. also my friend seems to think kragg is too good because of his extreme weight and powerful projectile game. i disagree but ehhh

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I'm going to be getting the Mayflash adapter soon, and I was wondering which "control scheme" would be ideal to use to emulate the smash control scheme?

the Email says "old mayflash controller", which one do you mean? Does the 4-port one work?

EDIT: Nevermind on the first part. But would it emulate the smash controls?
I'm using the 4 port MayFlash PC/Wii U adapter, and it works just as you'd expect. Plug and play, no drivers or anything.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I'm using the 4 port MayFlash PC/Wii U adapter, and it works just as you'd expect. Plug and play, no drivers or anything.
Ok. Thanks. I think a friend has the Purple one, I have to check though.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be getting the Mayflash adapter soon, and I was wondering which "control scheme" would be ideal to use to emulate the smash control scheme?

the Email says "old mayflash controller", which one do you mean? Does the 4-port one work?

EDIT: Nevermind on the first part. But would it emulate the smash controls?
With a little tweaking it does. Other than the fact that I can only get either L or R to work for parry. But the mayfield adaptor's driver supports button remapping if you go to it under device settings. (You may also have to update to the newest driver, I know I did but I am not sure if that is necessary?)

In case you still need it, this is the one I have (I am not sure if any other ones work, but I think I heard the 2 gamecube port one does?)
http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-XBox-Controller-Adapter-favorite-PC/dp/B000ND3XXA

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
This is exciting... I may need to get one of these so I can get multiple people playing with just one adapter!
Just to clarify, It currently will support 2 people using GC controllers at once? right?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post... I didnt think I posted that first one, I guess I did on accident though.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
This is exciting... I may need to get one of these so I can get multiple people playing with just one adapter!
Just to clarify, It currently will support 2 people using GC controllers at once? right?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post... I didnt think I posted that first one, I guess I did on accident though.
Can confirm. Two work indeed, though not sure about more, I think Dan mentioned only being able to handle two human players at the moment?

EDIT: Just clarifying, I'm talking about this adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RSXRLUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All you do is flip the switch in the back from Wii U to PC, and it works perfectly. Not sure about remapping, but I play with standard Smash controls so I didn't have that problem.

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice

Rivals of Aether March 2015 Playtester Build
Information:
This build is going out to 40 players who have been hand selected from the applicants. The accepted players are a combination of fresh blood, existing playtesters and streamers/tournament players who can bring the game to events. During March I will be collecting feedback regarding balance, stages and character interactions. We have already begun development on the next character but I want to make sure the balance is staying intact.

Updates from February:

General:

• Character Select Images have been upgraded on all menu screens.
  • An Info button has been added to Character Select giving 3 pages of text description about each character.
  • The Back Button on character select will set options to "Default". I prioritize Veteran controls in playtester builds because they are closer to smash.
  • The Merchant Port Stage has been added to the game. The Basic version has moving platforms just like the Aether version. I will make a decision on the platforms on the Basic after getting feedback.
  • I am now using the YYC to export builds. If you had slowdown in the past, please try the game again and let me know if it is still running slow.
Zetterburn:
  • Zetterburn's jab 1 and jab 2 hitboxes have been extended.
  • Zetterburn's Fireball projectile will now break Kragg's pillar.
Orcane:
  • Orcane's Water Gun projectile will now break Kragg's pillar.
Wrastor:
  • Wrastor's Up and Forward Strong Attacks will now complete before auto cancelling on the ground.
  • Wrastor's Dash Attack Recovery on the ground has been increased from 9 Frames to 18 Frames.
  • Wrastor's Dash Attack Recovery in the air has been reduced from 9 Frames to 3 Frames.
  • Wrastor's Side Special Hitstun has been reduced from .25x standard to .1x standard.
Kragg:
  • All players will now go into fall state if standing on a Pillar that collapses.
  • Kragg's Neutral Special start up has been increased from 17 frames to 21 frames.
  • Kragg can no longer pull a rock from his Pillar. He needs to be on real ground.
Forsburn:
  • Forsburn the Exiled Flame has been added to the game.
Thanks for your time and I hope to see new the discussions incoming soon!
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD???

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Guys if any of you think you can even touch my zetterburn now, think again lmao:

http://www.twitch.tv/earthbones/c/6444659
Oh man. Issuing a challenge like that is making me hungry for networking. The way I play Zetter I almost never use U-Strong so this was refreshing to watch.

WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD???
Check the first post to find out how to submit an application, there's currently no "public" download for the alpha.

The microphone I ordered should be coming in tomorrow! I may stream less this week and instead focus on improving the stream layout, testing mic levels, etc.

EDIT: When I offer suggestions about the game I try and stick to stuff that I genuinely think would improve the gameplay experience as a whole. Right now I'm going to indulge myself and suggest a mechanic that I personally would really love to see on at least one of the upcoming characters. If there were a character with some kind of critical hit special, they would probably be my favorite character. I.E. a character with something like Jiggs Rest or Luigi Up+B.
Even if the game's going to have this fast-paced, combo-heavy nature, I would really love to see some HYPE moves, in whatever form they take, whether it's something like Jiggs Rest or Luigi Up+B or Falcon's Knee or the disrespectful Ganon U-Tilt.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Oh man. Issuing a challenge like that is making me hungry for networking. The way I play Zetter I almost never use U-Strong so this was refreshing to watch.
you're smoking something if you dont think usmash is the most amazing thing possible against wrastor

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
Guys if any of you think you can even touch my zetterburn now, think again lmao
I hardly even play Zetter and that archive isn't even as good as every single one of the stocks my Zetter takes rofl, ft5 Zetter ditto mm me.
I would totally be down for commentating the match. Now for a partner...

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
We're all gonna lose our money on money matches for this game long before it's even released officially haha.

In other news, I've got a long writeup to do after this week for the new build, haven't gotten to it since I have two long projects due over my break from college about unicorns and food respectively.

But once I get these out of the way, Expect long long posts.

Last edited:

Wizdewdle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wizdewdle
3DS FC
5215-0132-9295
I played the March build, it feels really good. I came across 3 issues though. First, I think it would be nice to have an indicator for when you jump like in smash. It can be hard to tell how many times you've jumped with Wrastor. I hit Orcane out of his down b animation once, and it left 2 puddles on the screen. I don't know if it was just a visual glitch or if the second pool was active as well, but it didn't really bother me though. One thing that did is when Kragg stands on 2 boulders and he does his neutral b, he picks up both and adds them together as one, although that might just be intended.

Last edited:

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
New to testing the game as of the march build, and am completely in love with this engine. Every character feels unique, like I can't just hop from one to the other and use the same strategy to win. It's refreshing. As of now I'm manning wrist or, because I'm all about short hop everything.

Loving this game so much I started doing fan art. I did this sprite of Wrastor tonight, think it turned out pretty good~

Just wanted to gush a bit~

Last edited:

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys,

Hate to break it to you, but Rivals of Aether has been redesigned. It is no longer a platform fighter, it is now a competitive tetherball game!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=342

Check out our update to read about the redesign. Unfortunately we won't have time to keep the combat so I hope you playtesters enjoyed it while it lasted.

-Dan

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
TETHERBALL, YES

On a serious note, those Playertags look niiiiiice. Looking forward to those with the new build.

Also, someone mentioned not being able to notice % well with peripheral vision. I wholeheartedly agree and hope this gets changed in the future.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Hey Guys,

Hate to break it to you, but Rivals of Aether has been redesigned. It is no longer a platform fighter, it is now a competitive tetherball game!

http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=342

Check out our update to read about the redesign. Unfortunately we won't have time to keep the combat so I hope you playtesters enjoyed it while it lasted.

-Dan
I still won't play unless Shaq is confirmed. :ohwell:

FunctionFn

Smash Rookie
Hey all, new playtester that got rolled in for the March playtest build, so apologies if what I say is just parroting what's been said a million times as I'm avoiding reading as many previous posts as possible to keep an unbiased opinion for my first impressions.

Just finished first big playtest of the game with about 4-5 human opponents (all 1v1, as we were using GC controllers).

Some initial thoughts:

1. Wrastor and Zetterburn are a ton of fun. Zetterburn feels rewarding to use, his burn absorb strong attacks feel very satisfying. Wrastor feels really, really dominant, and almost a little too dominant when it comes to stage control. It feels like it's incredibly difficult for anyone to properly contest me when I'm under the effect of my side-special, the puff-esque aerial control combined with an amazing combo game is fun, but it feels he's in an ultra-dominant state for too much of the match. Having basically 100% uptime on the side-special, especially when it's an effective combo-extender itself, seems a little too insane.

2. Kragg's boulder itself is an insanely strong projectile. They're insanely versatile, and are basically a guaranteed gimp against Zetterburn. Breaking it to shatter it feels almost like an afterthought for the player, something done if it happens to be convenient. The shatter isn't particularly threatening, and it seems hard enough for opponents to break it that there's not a lot of pressure to get rid of the boulder to avoid it being used against Kragg, thought that would probably be a bigger deal in Kragg dittos.

3. Forsburn feels smooth. I'm not a fan of the deception-type gameplay, but a friend of mine who's a non-smash fighting game guru was big into him.

4. Orcane was the only character that the whole group didn't take to. I feel like with a lot of time we'd like the character, but he's ill-suited to a pick-up-and-play environment. Launching ourselves backwards with the forward air was funny for everyone, though.

A few of bugs:

1. Wrastor has a bug (unless it's intentional) with his aerial strong attacks. When he does an uncharged strong attack, he lands with significant landing lag. However, if the move is charged, all of that lag is ignored and he lands as if he had performed a light attack. It seems like the auto-cancel window continues through the move, even while charging, extending it into the move's finishing animation. This is especially obvious on Merchant Port. If you sit there charging as a platform rises towards you, on completion you'll land and be able to immediately move.

2. Kragg seems to have a boulder duplication glitch that is NOT the one posted on the subreddit involving 2 Kraggs. This glitch involves only 1 Kragg and takes place on the Merchant Port stage.

Here's a gfy: -Woops guess I need a certain number of smashboards posts to be able to post links. I've put steps to reproduce below, and if someone would kindly tell me if this is an undiscovered bug I'll post the gfy on reddit.-

Steps to Reproduce:

- Choose Kragg and Merchant Port
- Pull a Boulder
- Place the boulder where the moving platform will pick it up.
- Attempt to pick up the boulder while on ground level just as the boulder gets out of reach.
- Result: A second boulder is picked up. This can be repeated (presumably) indefinitely.

3. A couple of times during play music would not start on the stages, despite the music setting being "on". Toggling the music did not help, but restarting the game did.

Apologies if these bugs have already been reported. I went through some of the recent pages (after typing up my first thoughts) and didn't see any mention of them, but I could easily have missed them.

EDIT: Went back through, saw a quick mention of bug 2 but it didn't have full reproduce steps or a video or anything, so I'm posting the gif on /r/RivalsOfAether if anyone wants to see.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I don't understand. Why make a 'Smash like game' and not have Shaq. You can go out, and ask ANYBODY on the street: "What character do you associate with the Smash Bros. series?" It will be Shaq 99% of the time. If this game doesn't have Shaq soon, I see it crashing harder than Shaq would crash the ball through the net if you know what I'm saying. Get your priorities straight.

I know I'm late for April 1st but I wanted to contribute too.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, new playtester that got rolled in for the March playtest build, so apologies if what I say is just parroting what's been said a million times as I'm avoiding reading as many previous posts as possible to keep an unbiased opinion for my first impressions.

Just finished first big playtest of the game with about 4-5 human opponents (all 1v1, as we were using GC controllers).

Some initial thoughts:

1. Wrastor and Zetterburn are a ton of fun. Zetterburn feels rewarding to use, his burn absorb strong attacks feel very satisfying. Wrastor feels really, really dominant, and almost a little too dominant when it comes to stage control. It feels like it's incredibly difficult for anyone to properly contest me when I'm under the effect of my side-special, the puff-esque aerial control combined with an amazing combo game is fun, but it feels he's in an ultra-dominant state for too much of the match. Having basically 100% uptime on the side-special, especially when it's an effective combo-extender itself, seems a little too insane.

2. Kragg's boulder itself is an insanely strong projectile. They're insanely versatile, and are basically a guaranteed gimp against Zetterburn. Breaking it to shatter it feels almost like an afterthought for the player, something done if it happens to be convenient. The shatter isn't particularly threatening, and it seems hard enough for opponents to break it that there's not a lot of pressure to get rid of the boulder to avoid it being used against Kragg, thought that would probably be a bigger deal in Kragg dittos.

3. Forsburn feels smooth. I'm not a fan of the deception-type gameplay, but a friend of mine who's a non-smash fighting game guru was big into him.

4. Orcane was the only character that the whole group didn't take to. I feel like with a lot of time we'd like the character, but he's ill-suited to a pick-up-and-play environment. Launching ourselves backwards with the forward air was funny for everyone, though.

A few of bugs:

1. Wrastor has a bug (unless it's intentional) with his aerial strong attacks. When he does an uncharged strong attack, he lands with significant landing lag. However, if the move is charged, all of that lag is ignored and he lands as if he had performed a light attack. It seems like the auto-cancel window continues through the move, even while charging, extending it into the move's finishing animation. This is especially obvious on Merchant Port. If you sit there charging as a platform rises towards you, on completion you'll land and be able to immediately move.

2. Kragg seems to have a boulder duplication glitch that is NOT the one posted on the subreddit involving 2 Kraggs. This glitch involves only 1 Kragg and takes place on the Merchant Port stage.

Here's a gfy: -Woops guess I need a certain number of smashboards posts to be able to post links. I've put steps to reproduce below, and if someone would kindly tell me if this is an undiscovered bug I'll post the gfy on reddit.-

Steps to Reproduce:

- Choose Kragg and Merchant Port
- Pull a Boulder
- Place the boulder where the moving platform will pick it up.
- Attempt to pick up the boulder while on ground level just as the boulder gets out of reach.
- Result: A second boulder is picked up. This can be repeated (presumably) indefinitely.

3. A couple of times during play music would not start on the stages, despite the music setting being "on". Toggling the music did not help, but restarting the game did.

Apologies if these bugs have already been reported. I went through some of the recent pages (after typing up my first thoughts) and didn't see any mention of them, but I could easily have missed them.

EDIT: Went back through, saw a quick mention of bug 2 but it didn't have full reproduce steps or a video or anything, so I'm posting the gif on /r/RivalsOfAether if anyone wants to see.
Yeah, I did an early post where I did a step by step on the second bug. I posted some pictures of multiple blocks, but never a gif so that would be nice.

I actually found two different ways to do it as well, but this one does look easier.
The first you put the rock in the middle then try to pick it up as the platform moves you away from it. The second is you try to pull a rock while the one already out is coming down above you on a moving platform. They are all basically the same thing though.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I don't understand. Why make a 'Smash like game' and not have Shaq. You can go out, and ask ANYBODY on the street: "What character do you associate with the Smash Bros. series?" It will be Shaq 99% of the time. If this game doesn't have Shaq soon, I see it crashing harder than Shaq would crash the ball through the net if you know what I'm saying. Get your priorities straight.

I know I'm late for April 1st but I wanted to contribute too.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to say something about knockback scaling in Rivals of Aether that I noticed. There is something pretty wonky with it. I've noticed that many times, it seems that even at damages like 200%, hits don't make the opponent fly far at all, while sometimes at 60%, a single hit can kill. Has anybody else noticed this?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to say something about knockback scaling in Rivals of Aether that I noticed. There is something pretty wonky with it. I've noticed that many times, it seems that even at damages like 200%, hits don't make the opponent fly far at all, while sometimes at 60%, a single hit can kill. Has anybody else noticed this?
Well some attacks have set knockback. This is intentional and is meant to help with comboing? These are mostly weaker moves that probably shouldnt be used to kill. Might this be what you are referring too?

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
If you have specific examples of attacks doing knockback that seems "weird", that would totally help. Each character definitely has designated "kill moves" that will kill at early %, and if you haven't yet figured out which moves are good "kill moves"/aren't using them, you could very well be slapping your foes around to 200% without sending them into the blast zone.

Streaming today at 2:05 PM CST! http://www.twitch.tv/solarderivative Thanks to everybody who dropped by!

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
It feels pretty wonky because what we expect is a similar scale from Smash. A decent way to deal with it is to stop thinking of the damage as percentages but instead just damage.

However, previous bias aside I still think that the scale should be adjusted. Right now netting KOs regularly at half the damage isn't even satisfying as it can happen so easily. This is one of two things I believe Rivals still needs to improve:

1. Rescale the knockback curve so that more moves KO at higher percents, specifically when related to edgeguards. The absence of ledges has at least one drawback, and that it makes hitting with strong attacks a walk-in-the-park. With such a sure and powerful tool actually attempting an offstage edgeguard is almost useless for a few reasons: the knockback from an aerial might not kill, you risk SDing, onstage attacks have almost no downsides with the upsides of KOing super early and safely unbalancing them. Edgeguards are exciting and fun because they give the opportunity for a big success at the potential risk of an SD.

2. More Dynamic hit-boxes. Right now most of the moves in Rivals are rather static. There are exceptions but I feel that as a whole many of the moves can improve. I've stated this before but I really feel this should be changed. I personally don't like many of the set knockback moves as it removes any care about what combos work at what percents and essentially allows you to throw them out carelessly. The same goes for moves with one direction only when the move could have multiple directions that require knowledge of the move and proper spacing to work as desired. More Ganon Uair, less Fox Nair.

A couple of other suggestions as to what might help some of the themes I outlined:

1. A "Wall-roll." Without ledges there is no way to reliably dodge onstage edgeguards aside from going high and still leaving yourself open to attacks even if your attacker had previously whiffed. My idea is to add another option when you are adjacent to a wall besides jumping.

That is by holding a button, say Dodge, your character rolls a set distance from where they were touching. This would continue up around the edge and would grant invincibility. The closer to the edge you are the further along the stage you would roll. Start low enough on the wall and you might not even make it to the the edge. This doesn't create stalling, but adds a mix-up that would be effective enough to make actually going offstage to prevent an opponent from reaching the wall more rewarding.

2. Making parries dynamic. Right now using a parry has one setting, if you receive a hit opponent freezes for the same amount of time. My idea (previously posted) would be to allow you to hold Parry for a longer time. The longer you hold the longer the person hitting you would be stunned; the same goes for you if no one hits you. If you get a quick parry out they wouldn't be punished for as long, but neither would you on whiff. Also parrying shouldn't just stun your opponent and grant you invincibility, but also allow you to immediately act. The Parry is a great concept and I would just like to see it improved further.

Anyway that went longer then I thought, but anyone's thoughts are appreciated.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
It feels pretty wonky because what we expect is a similar scale from Smash. A decent way to deal with it is to stop thinking of the damage as percentages but instead just damage.

However, previous bias aside I still think that the scale should be adjusted. Right now netting KOs regularly at half the damage isn't even satisfying as it can happen so easily. This is one of two things I believe Rivals still needs to improve:

1. Rescale the knockback curve so that more moves KO at higher percents, specifically when related to edgeguards. The absence of ledges has at least one drawback, and that it makes hitting with strong attacks a walk-in-the-park. With such a sure and powerful tool actually attempting an offstage edgeguard is almost useless for a few reasons: the knockback from an aerial might not kill, you risk SDing, onstage attacks have almost no downsides with the upsides of KOing super early and safely unbalancing them. Edgeguards are exciting and fun because they give the opportunity for a big success at the potential risk of an SD.

2. More Dynamic hit-boxes. Right now most of the moves in Rivals are rather static. There are exceptions but I feel that as a whole many of the moves can improve. I've stated this before but I really feel this should be changed. I personally don't like many of the set knockback moves as it removes any care about what combos work at what percents and essentially allows you to throw them out carelessly. The same goes for moves with one direction only when the move could have multiple directions that require knowledge of the move and proper spacing to work as desired. More Ganon Uair, less Fox Nair.

A couple of other suggestions as to what might help some of the themes I outlined:

1. A "Wall-roll." Without ledges there is no way to reliably dodge onstage edgeguards aside from going high and still leaving yourself open to attacks even if your attacker had previously whiffed. My idea is to add another option when you are adjacent to a wall besides jumping.

That is by holding a button, say Dodge, your character rolls a set distance from where they were touching. This would continue up around the edge and would grant invincibility. The closer to the edge you are the further along the stage you would roll. Start low enough on the wall and you might not even make it to the the edge. This doesn't create stalling, but adds a mix-up that would be effective enough to make actually going offstage to prevent an opponent from reaching the wall more rewarding.

2. Making parries dynamic. Right now using a parry has one setting, if you receive a hit opponent freezes for the same amount of time. My idea (previously posted) would be to allow you to hold Parry for a longer time. The longer you hold the longer the person hitting you would be stunned; the same goes for you if no one hits you. If you get a quick parry out they wouldn't be punished for as long, but neither would you on whiff. Also parrying shouldn't just stun your opponent and grant you invincibility, but also allow you to immediately act. The Parry is a great concept and I would just like to see it improved further.

Anyway that went longer then I thought, but anyone's thoughts are appreciated.
I know what you are saying about the edge guarding. I think ocrane is especially bad with this. he needs a really well spaced backair or a veeeery dangerous and well spaced upair (on the falling hit box, that spikes right?) to be effective off stage, but onstage he can set up a puddle and edge guard with incredibly disjointed kill moves.
That said there are other character who I consistently go offstage with. namely characters with spikes (though i dont play zetterburn much). Some of this I am sure is me playing flashy, and not safe. but with kragg spiking is effective, and not that hard or dangerous. I think the only reason people dont do it more is his rock is reaally safe and good for the same situation. FB is also pretty rewarding to go for the spike with, its made safe especially if you have time to set up smoke to come back safely with.

That said, I don't think its as much of a problem as you think. It is different than smash, but I am okay with coming back being dangerous and unlikely. And maybe the players I play with aren't as good as the ones you play with, but we do make it back sometimes by using wall jumps and airdodges effectively to mix up the recovery. I do however like the 'wall roll' idea. I dont know how it would look though?

As for the easier combos because of set knockback moves, I think one of the goals of RoA is to make combos easier, and I personally like how the set knockback moves achieve that. I love picking ocrane and comboing down-air into up tilt for ages.

But I do agree that more moves should have more complicated hitboxes. Zetterburns strong up comes to mind for example. it hits straight up... you get clipped with it on your foot, you go straight up. Adding some more diagonal hitboxes on the sides of it might make it look and feel a little more natural. Similar things can be said for alot of other moves. Some on the other hand I think are perfectly fine as they are. Kraggs up and forward air feel like they Should hit in one direction. Same for moves like FB's up tilt and forward air. Those are just examples... I got carried away with the number of words I used.

The point is I kind of agree and disagree with what Yurya said.

Ipskies

Smash Rookie
Hey! I just dropped y'all an email for my playtesting application, and I gotta say: from the discussion here it seems like this really is quite the game. Looking forward to future updates.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
This may be the weirdest glitch i have found so far

So what happened was i was in a team battle and after the 4th CPU died once (3 stock match) the match ended and this happened

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Some feedback I recieved today is that combos feel too vertical, and not horizontal enough. I actually agree with this, most of the time my combos are juggles or just punching them like 4 times with Kragg. Though, this doesn't really apply to Forsburn, he has more horizontal combos.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Some feedback I recieved today is that combos feel too vertical, and not horizontal enough. I actually agree with this, most of the time my combos are juggles or just punching them like 4 times with Kragg. Though, this doesn't really apply to Forsburn, he has more horizontal combos.
To be fair, everyone has a different playstyle so not everyone would agree that it's all vertical. My friend plays orcane to get a lot of uair kills while when I play orcane, I'm looking for gimps off the side of the stage and fStrong kills.

I personally feel like forsburn's neutral is horizontal play while his kill potential comes from dair and dStrong kills usually, which are technically vertical.

Zetterburn I just abuse uStrong and dStrong so it's a mix there for me.

Kragg I tend to just gimp with rocks wherever possible or look for a dStrong or uStrong opening which is usually a horizontal or top corner kill.

Wrastor is pretty straightforward to me. Always kill with a uair, upB, fair, or uStrong.

Everyone (except wrastor players) play differently so I'm sure a lot of people would have differing opinions. I can definitely see where you can get that sort of feedback though. It'd be interesting to see what other people think as well about this statement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I have a 1 hour uncut recording of RoA practice to upload tomorrow or Monday when I get back to college. Features practice with all characters at random. I pull off some pretty sick stuff at some points so definitely check it out when I post it on YT soon!

Last edited:

PabloTheDinamic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PabloTheDinamic
3DS FC
5000-3345-6278
Now I want Rivals of Tether to be a thing.
Also, the Player Tags look nice.

Check the first post to find out how to submit an application, there's currently no "public" download for the alpha.

Maybe some day? :)

Really impressive. But I don't know.. in my opinion the game doesn't needs this detail for the gameplay.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
So I brought Rivals of Aether to my FGC scene again a couple days ago. One of the guys who tried the game out earlier liked it so much that he bought a Mayflash Adapter and gave it to me specifically so everyone could use GameCube controllers for the game.

Everyone feels the game is really well balanced, but Zetterburn and Orcane are viewed as the top characters. Kragg and Wrastor are viewed as the weaker characters, but again no one feels the game is decided in the character select screen.
A lot of new players decided to try the game out since we could provide GameCube controllers and the game was accepted very positively.

Our top performing Smash player decided to give the game a real try and quickly warmed up to Zetterburn. He picked up the mechanics really quickly. Out of everyone who's playing the game at the scene he plays the most passively. He whiffs low-lag attacks a lot to bait out parries and goes for 50% fire consumption skills. It's pretty impressive. I personally find myself unable to parry his approaches, because it's so difficult to tell when he's actually going in or not. So instead I resort to playing more aggressive even in disadvantageous situations. Until this point a few of the players felt parrying was too strong, but that player definitely changed their minds.

Also I'm not sure if anyone has shown this yet, but it's possible for Orcane to have two rising bubble down specials out at the same time. If you shoot out a puddle with neutral special, while a puddle is already on the ground, you can quickly down special before the second puddle is created and then down special again for the double bubble madness.

Double Bubble: http://gfycat.com/KindlyMiserableBittern

Last edited:
Top Bottom