• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Got the March build (Thanks SO much for expanding the playtester pool and including me, Dan!), and so far, Forsburn is looking great. I haven't gotten any slowdown on my laptop from his smoke like the others have. The new stage is looking tight, easily my new favorite, however, I dislike the moving platforms in the basic mode. They get in the way of combos and disrupt gameplay. I think having a stationary platform on the top of the wheel, or one on the top left and one on the top right of the wheel would be the best options. I still think Orcane's vertical kill options should be nerfed, but I've changed my mind about Kragg's nerf. I think he's fine where he is now. Great stuff, Dan.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'm really hoping I get the build, It'll definitely give me something to do aside from playing Smash.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
really dislike the kragg nerf that makes it so he cant pull a rock out while on his rock pillar

A it makes no sense because its a PILLAR MADE OF ROCK hahahah

B it limits him alot

i posted a suggestion on how to balance it by making the pillar crumble after 5 seconds if you pull a rock out of it which i think would solve the problem and not nerf kragg so much

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Logically, I guess I'm with you akf09. Pillar rock, rock rock. I see what your saying. Though I guess maybe there is not enough rock in the pillar?

But from a balance standpoint I think the nerfs are good. Pulling the rock from a pillar lets kragg cover his return to the stage with a heavy projectile and a move with armor. there is practically no stopping him. At least now you can position yourself to deal with his side special without fear of a projectile, and even with that he is still getting back on stage.

Personally I think the lack of a rock pull on the pillar doesnt change too much. If you wanted to punish Kraggs recovery its best to hit him right after his up-special, before he can act. And thats still the case, with or without the rock. If you miss that window I think hes probably making it back. Its a little harder now, but he is still making it back. (with two jumps an air dodge and armor, hes is hard to stop)

Can you expand on how you think this limits him? does it limit him in some offensive way? (I usually only used the rock from pillar to cover my return to the stage, though I suppose it was nice if I didnt need to use his side-special)

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Hello all! I recently got the new build and have been playing a lot of games trying to figure things out. Then just last night I invited over one of my scene's better FGC players and played 80 matches in one session. Here's what we thought of the game:

General

Rivals of Aether is an amazingly fun, fast-paced fighter. Getting that first hit is such a big deal, because it's relatively easy to string together hits if your opponent doesn't manage to land on the ground. The parry system is beautiful. The lack of shields means it is a lot easier to go on the offensive than to try and defend yourself which helps the game stay away from stalling or passive play.
But at the same time parrying can be really strong. If you read your opponent's next move and time correctly then you can completely switch the momentum back in your favor. The threat of parrying causes attempted parry reads and occasional safe pressure that is reminiscent of baiting out rolls in Smash or tapping a shield with a jab to bait out a response. Though these moments in RoA are much faster and generally lead into something bigger.

All of the characters feel very well balanced and all unique in play style. I really enjoy both the look and feel of the game. The music sounds more like a modern game, but reminds me of many SNES titles. The art is very bright and inviting, but with very strong indicators for powerful attacks.

Zetterburn

I can describe almost every character starting with the phrase "They're good but.." except for Zetterburn. He's just good all around. He moves really fast, attacks quickly, combos easily, and finishes stocks early. His greatest weakness I feel is his recovery which is really easily punished, but at the same time Zetterburn punishes recoveries harder than any other character by placing down fire where his opponent will land and clearing their stock with a side smash at 50%.

I don't think Zetterburn is overpowered in the slightest, I just feel he has no real weaknesses and can gets a much higher reward off of a hard punish than any other character.

Orcane

Orcane does't have speed on all of his attacks, but he does have great range and strength. Orcane felt very easy to stay on top of when you get in. His aerials didn't seem to be fast enough or have generous enough hit boxes to prevent my juggling most of the time. But getting in on this guy is such an ordeal. The neutral special itself is pretty decent at stopping dash ins or short hop approaches. Hitting with the neutral special means you get a free combo into down special followed by forward air leading do a decent 36% and leaving your opponent in a poor position.

This character benefits so strongly from key positioning of his attacks and the mind games from a puddle being placed between Orcane and his opponent. Orcane felt to have really strong control on the air thanks to his down special and forward air, which made me feel like his opponent has to approach from the ground most of the time. But Orcane can do so much. He can hydroplane off his puddle for a sliding forward side smash, he can teleport forward with his side special, he can try to catch hesitation with a simple dash attack, or Orcane can just re-position his puddle with neutral special.

Orcane also has one of the weakest and strongest recoveries in the game. On one hand his options are extremely limited without a puddle on the stage, but on the other hand he can possibly recover on the opposite side of the stage thanks to a puddle. Having the option between teleporting on stage or using side special can make it difficult or impossible to punish Orcane as he recovers in some situations. I have to say this is my second favorite character design wise.

Wrastor

Wrastor is one of the characters me and my sparring partner played the least. Neither of us were really a fan of his floaty nature and aerial smash attacks. None the less he felt very strong. Quick attacks and easy combos. He felt like he had to commit harder than anyone else to finish a stock, but that also felt fair due to how good his damage build up is.

Kragg

This guy definitely fit the strong, but slow character archetype. While his movement speed is slow, his attacks seemed to be decently quick. His side tilt and dash attack seems to flow together really well due to their range and knock back. Side smash fits in well with those other attacks as the delay before it finishes makes for great parry punishing.

Kragg surprisingly juggles really well and can finish people off of the top of the screen pretty easily with the use of plat forms or his own up special. His neutral special allows him to space pretty decently and again it feels like you always need to respect his range. But playing too defensively lets him come in and well his attacks hurt.

Forsburn

This guy is my most played character and the one I enjoy the most. I found Forsburn to be the easiest to combo, but the hardest to KO with. The unique nature of his side smash and up smash made it impossible to get KOs in the same small punish windows I found success in with other characters. But Forsburn's strong combo and juggle game felt to alleviate the problem some.

Forsburn was the first character I was able to use to carry my opponent from one side of the screen to the other. His neutral aerial is such a good move thanks to its amazing speed and range. Neutral air is a great get-in tool and also the foundation of most of my combos. I find it really easy to combo into additional neutral airs, forward airs, or up airs. Forward air usually set up for down air, while up air juggles into itself really welly.

Down tilt and up tilt are both such strong combo openers, while down tilt is also rather decent for spacing. Forsburn side and up smashes are not my favorite, but I really do enjoy them when I utilize them properly. Well actually I never used up smash. The angle felt really weird so I tended to stay away from the move, but after looking at the move's actual hit boxes I see some potential and will probably try to make use of it when I get the chance. Side smash, on the other hand, was useful in that it provides me with more range than down tilt, but it's not a true combo starter. My opponent can parry before I can swing my sword and thus punish me for landing the move. So mind games come into play. I can use the side smash and punish a parry with a delayed down tilt.

I very, very rarely ever found myself in a situation where I could charge side smash to get the true combo. When I wanted a KO I found it a lot easier to combo into back air or combust. Though the majority of my KOs are all down smash which can come out fast enough for those small punish windows. And occasionally when I would land a semi-charged side smash I would follow up with side tilt, jab, or nothing instead of the 2nd hit of the side smash. I'm just not not exactly sure where the timing is for the 2nd hit and I tend to fail it the most at the critical moment.

Forsburn's smoke. I found it only rarely useful for concealing myself. My opponent would usually chase after me as I put down smoke and clear it out as he swung attacks in my direction, not waiting for the smoke to form. And if there was distance between us my opponent would just use an attack with good range or a projectile to clear out most the smoke.
The only times I felt I could 'set up' with smoke was when my opponent was off stage or if I felt like dropping a combo to go into smoke. Both of which are odd decisions as I could possibly take my opponent's stock rather than just set up smoke.

Out of the 80 games we played there was only one where I actually felt smart about my smoke use. We were playing on Merchant Port and I had knocked Orcane off the stage. I ran to the left side of the stage and covered it, the center of the stage, and a bit above with smoke. Orcane recovered, he wasn't in a bad spot, and cleared the middle layer of smoker with his neutral special. He saw me jump into the smoke above. I used my double jump and teleported back up into the smoke as I fell so I could stay there for awhile. My opponent was then confused why I hadn't fallen back down and hesitated for a moment. I then fell down from the smoke and landing into Orcane with a down air and combo'd into a back air for the kill. That was really, really fun. But after that my opponent never hesitated. If he was unsure which smoke stack I was in he would just attack the nearest one.

I think I might be able to use Forsburn's smoke better if I try parrying inside the smoke when my opponent attempts to clear it more often. Currently I mainly use side tilt and down special to goad my opponent into approaching. If they don't approach I get a free Combust which is a very useful tool in many situations.

As for Fosburn's side special clone I feel it rests in the same ball park as Orcane's recovery, being either super useful or useless. Most of the time I use the move my opponent will come in swinging or try to use a projectile to clear out my clone. The clone itself will sometimes run right into these attacks and vanish instantly. Other times I'll manage to land a hit on my opponent anddo my best to keep my opponent in hit stun, but my clone will just stand around or jump in place. It's completely up to my clone if he wants to help or not. Sometimes though, my clone will decide not to be stupid and will land a hit after each of my own. In two of my matches (out of 80) I've taken my opponent from 0% to death thanks to my clone helping me keep my opponent in hit stun the entire time. Though this is really down to luck as I really don't know what attack my clone is going to use and what trajectory it'll send my opponent in. Thankfully most of Forsburn's attacks all combo really well together.

Stages

I enjoy all of the stages in both their Aether and Basic modes. My favorite stage is without a doubt the Merchant Port. It's very unique thanks to the four spinning platforms and allows for very creative combos you won't find on other stages. I would not want to see this feature taken away from the Basic Form of the stage as I feel it would really suck the life out of the stage.

Conclusion

Thank you so much for giving me the chance to playtest this game! I've already poured some good hours into it and am enjoying it very much. This Friday I'll be taking it to my weekly tournament scene and seeing what other members of my community think about the game.

akf09

Smash Apprentice
Logically, I guess I'm with you akf09. Pillar rock, rock rock. I see what your saying. Though I guess maybe there is not enough rock in the pillar?

But from a balance standpoint I think the nerfs are good. Pulling the rock from a pillar lets kragg cover his return to the stage with a heavy projectile and a move with armor. there is practically no stopping him. At least now you can position yourself to deal with his side special without fear of a projectile, and even with that he is still getting back on stage.

Personally I think the lack of a rock pull on the pillar doesnt change too much. If you wanted to punish Kraggs recovery its best to hit him right after his up-special, before he can act. And thats still the case, with or without the rock. If you miss that window I think hes probably making it back. Its a little harder now, but he is still making it back. (with two jumps an air dodge and armor, hes is hard to stop)

Can you expand on how you think this limits him? does it limit him in some offensive way? (I usually only used the rock from pillar to cover my return to the stage, though I suppose it was nice if I didnt need to use his side-special)
yes it does limit his offense, and i will say first that i am a kragg main so i am probly biased but i use pillar on stage all the time and directly after an on stage pillar a very good option is pulling a block and throwing it downward to protect the pillar you just made. kragg has alot of high end tech, u can make pillars on stage to use the wall for combos or to wall tech or wall jump off of and most the time when you make an on stage pillar it gets destroyed very quickly.

its not the end of the world if this gets removed i just dont see the need for it and i will explain. kragg does not by any means have the best recovery in the game. let me be clear, he has the easiest recovery in the game but by no means is it the best recovery. pulling a block directly after pillar is not ideal because if you do that you leave time for the opponent to break your pillar and you will die instantly. also kragg only gets 1 up special per recovery while most characters get 2 by wall jumping. a bad player will lose to kraggs pillar 9/10 times but a good player should gimp kragg unless the kragg is very crafty with his recovery. think of yoshi in smash how you have to wait to use the 2nd jump so you come up right on the stage rather than using it early and being unsafe.

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
As a fellow GameMaker developer I want to point out that the YYC only speeds up game logic. I suspect that any playtesters who experienced slowdown on the previous build likely will still experience slowdown on the most recent build. I say this because I believe the slowdown is caused by the use of shaders on lower end machines. If anyone does experience slowdown I highly recommend including PC specs when you post.

Mum

Smash Cadet
Forsburn's smoke. I found it only rarely useful for concealing myself. My opponent would usually chase after me as I put down smoke and clear it out as he swung attacks in my direction, not waiting for the smoke to form. And if there was distance between us my opponent would just use an attack with good range or a projectile to clear out most the smoke.
The only times I felt I could 'set up' with smoke was when my opponent was off stage or if I felt like dropping a combo to go into smoke. Both of which are odd decisions as I could possibly take my opponent's stock rather than just set up smoke.
I strongly agree with this sentiment.

As a fellow GameMaker developer I want to point out that the YYC only speeds up game logic. I suspect that any playtesters who experienced slowdown on the previous build likely will still experience slowdown on the most recent build. I say this because I believe the slowdown is caused by the use of shaders on lower end machines. If anyone does experience slowdown I highly recommend including PC specs when you post.
Odd, I have an Asus N550JV, which has an i7 3.2 ghz and Nvidia 750m gpu with 8 gb ram. My slowdown occurrs when there's a lot of smoke on screen. Also it seems just during certain times of a stages animation.

My impression of merchant's Port is that the platforms are too close together, not to mention it has the most platforms of any of the stages. In basic mode I think either having the main stage be wider, with more space between the stationary platforms and the waterwheel, or have remove the side platforms completely. Definitely keep the moving ones however. Although, why do they pick up puddles?

Kragg's down-special also seems to behave weird, like theres no consequence when that move gets parried.

Last edited:

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
If Forsburn's smoke changes color based on the Forsburn color chosen then it's likely using shaders as well. I'm pinpointing shaders because I know 4nace is using them (GM doesn't support pixel swapping natively) and because I don't see anything going on in a scene that should be heavy. Of course I can't view the source and I don't have the playtester build so I can't test it on any of my machines so 4nace is welcome to take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Mum

Smash Cadet
If Forsburn's smoke changes color based on the Forsburn color chosen then it's likely using shaders as well. I'm pinpointing shaders because I know 4nace is using them (GM doesn't support pixel swapping natively) and because I don't see anything going on in a scene that should be heavy. Of course I can't view the source and I don't have the playtester build so I can't test it on any of my machines so 4nace is welcome to take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)
That's a good point; one I didn't consider. You could be onto something.

Kasado-Bit

Smash Cadet
I strongly agree with this sentiment.

Odd, I have an Asus N550JV, which has an i7 3.2 ghz and Nvidia 750m gpu with 8 gb ram. My slowdown occurrs when there's a lot of smoke on screen. Also it seems just during certain times of a stages animation.

My impression of merchant's Port is that the platforms are too close together, not to mention it has the most platforms of any of the stages. In basic mode I think either having the main stage be wider, with more space between the stationary platforms and the waterwheel, or have remove the side platforms completely. Definitely keep the moving ones however. Although, why do they pick up puddles?

Kragg's down-special also seems to behave weird, like theres no consequence when that move gets parried.
I was going to post this last night, but I noticed that Forsburn's down special has been parried a few times, but he hasn't gone into any vulnerable state like the rest of his moves.

Galaxy Ace

Smash Rookie
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Forsburn needing to drop a combo to set up smoke, that's part of the decision making that every character has. Forsburn's smoke (in theory) provides a lot of stage control, and no other character can shut down the stage as much as he can, so I think if anything, Forsburn is the character who it makes the most sense for. But I agree that using Forsburn's smoke as a deception tool at the moment is tough. It is just really easy to clear out the smoke with a projectile or any normal move. Forsburn dropping a combo to set up smoke should be a good option sometimes, but that shouldn't be the only situation in which you can set up reliable fields of smoke, because right now it kind of feels like it's pointless to try and set up in neutral because the opponent will be ready to react to it. It naturally gets cleared out by any fighting, so if the opponent just goes aggressive and dives in, it's more likely that they'll clear up the smoke before Forsburn can even do much with it. The opponent's best option becomes "clear the smoke as quickly as possible" and it's pretty easy to do.

I think that using the decoy to cover setting up smoke is the safest way to do it, but it feels odd that so many of his special moves only work in combination with each other. You can only absorb smoke after setting it all up, you can only set it up by sacrificing something else or by using decoy. In a way, I think it's a positive thing that Forsburn can sometimes force his opponent's hand and make his opponents play his game, but overall I think it's not as easy as I'd like it to be.

Again, it's possible these are just the early reactions and that more experienced play will show it to be stronger. The biggest thing is right now I think people (myself included) don't really know the best way to manipulate the teleporting into the smoke, and like Venks said, there is potential for parrying people coming in to destroy the smoke. We're all assuming the opponent won't know where Forsburn is, but just expecting the opponent to play cautiously isn't the right choice. But with more experienced Forsburns come more experienced Zetters and Orcanes and whatnot. Like Venks said, his opponent only fell for the trickery technique once, and after that it's not as powerful a technique. The smoke provides potential for Forsburn to outplay his opponent but it requires the opponent making a bad/wrong decision in the first place.

Anyway, no new bugs to report on that haven't already been mentioned. Apart from the double puddle/wind tunnel bug, the only one I've personally seen is the win screen bug where the portraits come in the wrong order and sometimes have graphical glitching, but I haven't found a way to recreate it.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Yeah hitting Orcane out of a grounded Uspecial still causes 2 puddles. (i think someone showed 3 is possible) Probably going to put a hard cap on puddles from one player to prevent such a case.

-Dan
Most I've gotten is 5 puddle lmao.

You also need to make sure that when a player's stock count is zero, puddles and fire and smoke all disappear entirely

akf09

Smash Apprentice
bought a mayflash 4 port and OMG this game plays so much better on a gamecube controller!~!!!!! is 4 player going to be possible eventually? it says it currently only supports 2 player through mayflash

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I just received the March build! I'd really like to thank Dan for giving me the opportunity to help play this game. I'll be sure to report all feedback.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Hmm... I'd really like to play the new build, but I don't know if I would have the time to be an effective playtester at the moment. Lots of personal stuff coming up. Still, kinda wondering if I should send in an application anyway... I might surprise myself. Either way, I'd still like to participate in this whole process in any way I can.

Oh, and before I forget, someone I played the old build with was immensely disappointed that you can't stand on one of Kragg's blocks while he's carrying it. I wonder if something like that could be applicable in doubles? Probably not. :079:

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and before I forget, someone I played the old build with was immensely disappointed that you can't stand on one of Kragg's blocks while he's carrying it. I wonder if something like that could be applicable in doubles? Probably not. :079:
Being able to stand on Kragg's rock while he's carrying it would be AMAZING. ESPECIALLY IF YOU COULD THROW IT AND THEY'D STAY ON TOP OF IT.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Being able to stand on Kragg's rock while he's carrying it would be AMAZING. ESPECIALLY IF YOU COULD THROW IT AND THEY'D STAY ON TOP OF IT.
Oh yeah, totally! I was assuming that the character would take the hit the moment he threw it out. I guess I wasn't thinking outside the block. :awesome:

Honestly that would be too much fun. That level of enjoyment could seriously hurt someone.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been playing lots of Frosburn, and I think that he's really fun. I almost think that his gameplay would be sort of fun if he also had some poison-based attacks -- when I first saw his moveset, I thought he'd be a poison-based character. Having him have a lasting attack would increase his status as a good foil to Zetturburn. Also, how do you KO with him? The only way that I've been able to do so so far has been with DStrong.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been playing lots of Frosburn, and I think that he's really fun. I almost think that his gameplay would be sort of fun if he also had some poison-based attacks -- when I first saw his moveset, I thought he'd be a poison-based character. Having him have a lasting attack would increase his status as a good foil to Zetturburn. Also, how do you KO with him? The only way that I've been able to do so so far has been with DStrong.
His FStrong and UStrong have 2 parts. Input it after he uses his cape to thrust his dagger. His dair is also a great kill move. You can use platforms to juggle them to the top blastzone with uair, too. Oh, and don't forget to consume clouds and burst with down B.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
His FStrong and UStrong have 2 parts. Input it after he uses his cape to thrust his dagger. His dair is also a great kill move. You can use platforms to juggle them to the top blastzone with uair, too. Oh, and don't forget to consume clouds and burst with down B.
Also Dsmash, Bair at semi-high %s and uair at higher ones. He also has the most potential to go offstage for kills as his Teleport has the best edge game without the ledge.

EDIT Missed one thx GatorFace: Jab-combo finisher.

Last edited:

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
I've also heard that his jab combo kills rather well. Is that true?

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I've also heard that his jab combo kills rather well. Is that true?
I've been trying out Boasting Toast's, Yura's, and your suggestions, and out of all of them I think that jab combo and knife FStrong are the best. Also, I feel like I'm not properly utilizing Frosburn's smoke, other than to down-special. Are there that many mindgames that can go on in the clouds? I suppose you could force your opponent to guess between a parry and an attack, but I dunno how effective it is.

Also -- music note: I love the music, but it's *really* repetitive. It loops really quickly, and the melodies themselves repeat a lot within one loop. Other than that, the music is really good.

GatorFace

Smash Cadet
Also, I feel like I'm not properly utilizing Frosburn's smoke, other than to down-special. Are there that many mindgames that can go on in the clouds? I suppose you could force your opponent to guess between a parry and an attack, but I dunno how effective it is.
It really all depends on how you want to play him. You can fill up and prepare your down special, and have your opponent stress over the looming threat of a shine + a wario fart. Or you can utilize the unpredictability of sitting in your smoke; perhaps by sending out clones or just attacking at different angles.

EDIT: Sort of read your post wrong, my apologies. Besides the down special, you can use the smoke for surprise attacks, unpredictable parries, and overall being tricky. Also, you can use your up special in the smoke (where you will be momentarily visible on activation), and appear anywhere else in the smoke without any notification to your opponent. Kind of pointless imo, since any attack by either party disperses the smoke, but I digress.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
It really all depends on how you want to play him. You can fill up and prepare your down special, and have your opponent stress over the looming threat of a shine + a wario fart. Or you can utilize the unpredictability of sitting in your smoke; perhaps by sending out clones or just attacking at different angles.
I think it depends on who you are playing against. A Wrastor isn't going to have a problem clearing your clouds so absorbing is probably the better option with him.

KrozoMagnus

Smash Rookie
I am guessing I didn't get into the march play test build even though I was in the January one. I didn't get an email, so I assume I'm off the list because of my lack of feedback lately. Haven't been able to play the game recently with anyone, but I'm gonna try to get back into it!

Kasado-Bit

Smash Cadet
Finally got to play some RoA matches against an actual human being this time! Here are some of my observations, in no particular order.

-I feel like the fact that Wrastor's side special can completely cancel out any projectile attack and keep going while also dealing a good amount of knockback is a little ridiculous. If you're going to make the cyclone indestructible, I'd like to ask that you at least make it slower, or reduce the knockback, or something.
-Zetterburn's up-smash seems to have a pretty short reach compared to his up-tilt. I feel like his up-smash claw attack would be more effective if it was like a shoryuken, where he jumped up a bit in the air to get more reach. I'd be okay if you added a little bit of ending lag to balance that out.
-My brother really enjoyed playing as Wrastor. He liked his speed and his air game, being able to do a lot of juggling. The fact that Falco is one of his mains certainly didn't hurt.
-He also thought Kragg's up-B was stupidly OP, both in terms of recovering and the fact that Kragg can use the pillar to bring him up and smash him out of the stage easily.

On a side note, I'm still having difficulty trying to effectively hide in the smoke as Forsburn, as well as using it to cover my clone's movements. :/

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I'll record footage of me playing soon enough and get some gifs up in here with forsburn. I have some pretty sexy combos to recreate and show off.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
RoA-Pic.jpg

Well I brought the game to my local fighting game tournament. I hooked it up before the place was busy and tried to get people to play, but no one seemed too keen. But as time went by I managed to talk a couple people into trying it out. Once the game was in motion it attracted a rather nice crowd. All too soon everyone wanted to play and I didn't have to try at all to get people to play by themselves.

The first impressions most people gave was something like:
"Oh is this a Smash game?"
"This reminds me of Smash Flash."
"Wow, this game looks so fun."
"This game looks so fast and aggressive, awesome!"
"All of that combo'd? Wow."

Unfortunately I don't have a Mayflash adapter so everyone was using my Logitech Rumblepad 2s. They're definitely not the best controllers and people were a bit unfamiliar with them and how strict their directional inputs are, but we made it work.

A lot of people asked about the game. Wanting to know what it was called, when it was coming out, and for what platforms. A good number of players seemed ready to buy the game as it is right now. Though there were a few people who said they only thing holding them back would be more characters and taunts.

That said everyone found at least one character that they really enjoyed. Most players enjoyed Zetterburn because of how easy he was to pick up and play. There was some salt about how he could claim KOs as low as 50% if his opponent was on fire, but everyone seemed to feel it was balanced due to how bad Zetterburn's recovery is.

The one character most people felt to be too strong was Orcane. They just felt his bubbles gave him too much stage control and free damage. Though these are all people playing the game for the first time so I wouldn't take their words with too much weight. However, if Orcane couldn't summon a puddle for just the slightest moment when you parry his neutral special, I'd be so happy.

Obviously the biggest hurdle for most players was the lack of ledges. I had to continually remind players about wall jumping out of helpless and using aerial dodges to recover. Aside from that people picked up the game really fast and started stringing together some pretty awesome combos. I tried to stress how useful parrying was to players, but it wasn't until I used it against them personally that they picked up on how big parrying is for this game.

There were some pretty hype matches that pulled in a lot of spectators. The hypest match would proably have to be a Wrastor vs Orcane match on Merchant Port. Wrastor had all three stocks against Orcane who only had the one and was above 100%. Through super solid stage control and god-like combos the Orcane managed to comeback and take all three of Wrastor's stocks without getting touched. People could really get behind the fast speed of the game and the high combo potential.

For everyone that asked about the game I mentioned that there is a thread on Smashboards to talk about it and that they can easily find more info with a quick google search on "Rivals of Aether". Everyone seems rather keen to play the game again next week and can't wait for the game to be released. One of the tournament organizers loved RoA and wants to hold tournaments when the game comes out.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that every now and then, after using one of Wrastor's aerial strongs, there's a *ton* of endlag. I dunno if this was a glitch, intentional, or just something that happened because I was using a mayflash. Either way, it definitely should be fixed if other people notice it.

Also, I think that Orcane's teleport move is way too strong. As I see it, there are a couple of ways it could be nerfed:
  • Make the move always go a set distance, so it's more easily punishable,
  • Make the move have more endlag,
  • *Maybe* make it possible to take damage during the move, like with Kragg's side-special,
  • Or any combination of the three.
I know that Orcane is supposed to be more a zoning character, but between his up-special and his side-special, he has way too many options for getting around the stage without risk.

Also, I feel like there's no use to wavedashing, as every move can be used out of a dash. Even to quickly retreat, which IMO is one of the best things about wavedashing, you can do a fox-trot / just dash backwards, and you don't even need to be facing a certain direction. How do others feel about wavedashing?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
big file size gif incoming:
First thing i got recorded with forsburn, but no where near the quality of combo's I normally get with him.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
big file size gif incoming:
First thing i got recorded with forsburn, but no where near the quality of combo's I normally get with him.
I love your use of the smoke+up-b! (saddly less effective against a cpu, but still pretty sweet!)

To answer Jhunter_d's question about wavedashing, I agree its not as useful but I dont think thats a bad thing. If other movement options give you the same options you get from wavedashing in melee or PM than I think thats fine, RoA should be its own game. That said wavelanding is still pretty great.

As for your concerns about side-b, do you know you can hit ocrane before his hit box comes out? So if you throw out a multi hit move you can cover several different positions the ocrane can place himself? Point being Its not to hard to counter if the opponent is using it as an approach option or attack. Not sure if this effects your opinion or not, but i thought I would at least mentions it.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
So out of curiosity, what's the process creating a character from scratch and figuring out how to polish/refine them and how long does it take to get a playable version of them out? (asking because forsworn seems like an incredibly unique character so just wondering what the thought process was, and to get an estimate on how long it took to create Mewtwo in SM4Sh, with the size of Sakurai's team it doesn't feel like they only got ONE character done in all that time ;) )

Last edited:

PabloTheDinamic

Smash Rookie
NNID
PabloTheDinamic
3DS FC
5000-3345-6278
Question. If everyone's coming up with new colors for the playable characters, why not put a color editing tool in the game, like what Team Reptile did for Lethal League?
This should come :)

So, uhh... Guys...
Don't know if that was supossed to happen, because I only have the January Build. Probably I'm in the same case as KrozoMagnus, but in case that it is intentional, looks like the best Rival for Orcane, long matches most of times. I would like to see more on Forsburn against Orcane, those two have many ways to make other characters have a bad time (in a good way).
On Jan, I got the build like four days after... but now it seems I'm not getting it. I will try to contribute more, even with just the Jan build, but it would be harder, because the bug fixes and things like those. Maybe by having ideas, speculation, or contributing (I am planning to make a presentation video for Rivals in Spanish) I could get the next build.

Also, I don't know if you guys have thought about translating the game, but I would love to see it in spanish (not too much difference, but we latin american and spaniard players have been playing the newer games on Spanish, so we feel more confortable).
I would even work for free on translating the texts (not too much things to translate by know, right?) :p

In other things... Is there going to be a single player mode? I read something like that on older posts... but don't know about it... Something like fighting against shadows for getting the more kills as possible, right?

Also, what about the air/electric character thing being like Mega Absol or Luxray? (Pokémon)... Or like both...

And what about the ''monkey'' suggestions... what if the monkey is the second water character? No one expects a water monkey... besides Panpour._.

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I just realized something about the parries. I feel that the amount of time that your character gets stuck in the vulnerable state after being successfully parried should be proportional to the strength of the move. I feel like it's not right that getting your ftilt parried as Frosburn has the same consequences as getting a fully charged upsmash as Kragg parried. It encourages charging moves and using characters with more powerful moves, as if you get punished with a parry when using a character with lots of power, you don't suffer any more than if you used a character with many weak moves. I don't know if what I'm requesting is already in the game, and I just didn't notice it, but I feel that it is necessary for good balance.

Also, Kragg's down B should not remain active if Kragg is hit, and Kragg shouldn't be able to move while using it. Either that, or the move should be able to be reflected.

Top Bottom