• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I dont think that would be a good idea., We already have a fire "type" in Zetterburn. However, I do think that the monkey part is a good idea. He could have banana projectiles that bounce or something.
Theres 2 characters to each element. So 2 fire, 2 water, 2 earth, 2 air. That isn't changing.
It's a fire hyena. It's based on smoke and holds a machete.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
For anybody who hasn't seen it yet, here is a picture that Dan posted on his Twitter. It shows the new character's render!

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I dont think that would be a good idea., We already have a fire "type" in Zetterburn. However, I do think that the monkey part is a good idea. He could have banana projectiles that bounce or something.
inb4 diddy kong 2.0 confirmed (plz nerf)

Kasado-Bit

Smash Cadet
This is a suggestion that was mentioned in the chatroom. Instead of having two jump buttons or two dodge buttons, why not have one of the buttons used for strong attacks? I'm used to pulling of strong attacks with the right analog stick, but not everyone is fine with that. This would at least give people some options as to how they want to do strong attacks while making the tilt attacks a bit more different. If this happens, I think there should also be a strong neutral attack. It'd give one extra move to each character, which is always nice. :D

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So, I have an idea. Something to help differentiate RoA from Smash. Right now, it's the same as Smash. You build % and the opponent flies farther when their % is higher. But I feel like there should be something else. I've debated the idea of a Super Meter, but Super Moves tend to be controversial in a Platform Fighter setting. Instead of a Super Meter, why not a sort of Elemental X-Factor?

As you give/take damage, you build meter. When that meter is full, you can enter your Element Boost. During this time, your character reaps benefits from its elemental abilities. For example:
-All of Zetterburn's attacks would burn the enemy, instead of just his special attacks. This would also mean his Smash attacks would always receive the Burn boost.
-Orcane would be able to have 3 puddles out at once, and his Smash attacks would always have their puddle-empowered range and damage, without having to be near a puddle. When teleporting to a puddle, he'll always go to the closest one. Down B would detonate all puddles at once.
-Wrastor would always be under the influence of his Wind Current, without it even being active or being inside it. Having the Wind Current active would further enhance its effects.
-Kragg could gain a large amount of Super Armor(30% or so. Once that damage threshold is reached, he can be flinched and knocked back like normal), and be able to have multiple rocks and pillars out at once.

The above are just ideas of how this empowered form could be implemented, but I think it would add some spice and excitement to the game, as well as help it create its own identity from Smash.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
So, I have an idea. Something to help differentiate RoA from Smash. Right now, it's the same as Smash. You build % and the opponent flies farther when their % is higher. But I feel like there should be something else. I've debated the idea of a Super Meter, but Super Moves tend to be controversial in a Platform Fighter setting. Instead of a Super Meter, why not a sort of Elemental X-Factor?

As you give/take damage, you build meter. When that meter is full, you can enter your Element Boost. During this time, your character reaps benefits from its elemental abilities. For example:
-All of Zetterburn's attacks would burn the enemy, instead of just his special attacks. This would also mean his Smash attacks would always receive the Burn boost.
-Orcane would be able to have 3 puddles out at once, and his Smash attacks would always have their puddle-empowered range and damage, without having to be near a puddle. When teleporting to a puddle, he'll always go to the closest one. Down B would detonate all puddles at once.
-Wrastor would always be under the influence of his Wind Current, without it even being active or being inside it. Having the Wind Current active would further enhance its effects.
-Kragg could gain a large amount of Super Armor(30% or so. Once that damage threshold is reached, he can be flinched and knocked back like normal), and be able to have multiple rocks and pillars out at once.

The above are just ideas of how this empowered form could be implemented, but I think it would add some spice and excitement to the game, as well as help it create its own identity from Smash.
I suggest we wait until release of the game, and then decide whether it's too similar to Smash. I believe Dan has some crazy ideas for characters in the future, so I think it will be different enough through that fact alone.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

I don't think that they should add gimmicks to the game just so they can be different from Smash. That's what PSAS did, and look how that turned out.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Sorry I haven't been active a lot recently. Too much life, plus it's hard to contribute when most of the stuff about the game has already been said by everyone else (in terms of testing). Also I haven't had much motive to keep coming back to smash boards since most of the online community (outside this group of coarse) has been making me angry/depressed.

Can we all agree as a new community to avoid all the problems the smash community has if this games becomes huge? (Which it will :colorful:)

But on a less somber note, Foresburn: Like the pun, and super hyped to see him in action, though I REALLY wished he was a lizard then we'ed have Marowak confirmed4 Pokken :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I don't think that they should add gimmicks to the game just so they can be different from Smash. That's what PSAS did, and look how that turned out.
That wasn't PSAS' downfall. PSAS' downfall was its incredibly poor roster, lackluster stages, and the fact that you could only kill with supers.

Besides, the suggestion wasn't ONLY so it'd be different from Smash; it also suits the game's main theme of "elements". It could be plot-related, too. Maybe they're channeling the Aether in the air or something, idk.

Last edited:

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
You called it! (or did you have behind the scenes info???)
I'm a Playtester..?

But really I had no clue, aside from maybe having a good eye. Looking forward to testing him out. I hope he plays similar to a Sheik/ZSS, but we will see.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
That wasn't PSAS' downfall. PSAS' downfall was its incredibly poor roster, lackluster stages, and the fact that you could only kill with supers.

Besides, the suggestion wasn't ONLY so it'd be different from Smash; it also suits the game's main theme of "elements". It could be plot-related, too. Maybe they're channeling the Aether in the air or something, idk.
You do realize the fact that only killing with supers was the gimmick I was referring too, right? Roster is subjective, but there were plenty who were fine with it, even without a couple of big requests like Crash missing.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
You do realize the fact that only killing with supers was the gimmick I was referring too, right? Roster is subjective, but there were plenty who were fine with it, even without a couple of big requests like Crash missing.
The only people that were fine with the roster were few and far between. Lots of people talked about how poor the roster regardless of roster being subjective. Also the gimmick you refer too is much more important to the game it was in as it was the only way to kill while the X-factor discussed which is similar to instinct mode from Killer Instinct, Isn't a massive change to the game as a mechanic that is the only way to win the game.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
The only people that were fine with the roster were few and far between. Lots of people talked about how poor the roster regardless of roster being subjective. Also the gimmick you refer too is much more important to the game it was in as it was the only way to kill while the X-factor discussed which is similar to instinct mode from Killer Instinct, Isn't a massive change to the game as a mechanic that is the only way to win the game.
Exactly. This x-factor ish mode isn't REQUIRED to win a match by any means, whereas in PSAS, you NEEDED supers to win. You had no other choice.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'm a Playtester..?

But really I had no clue, aside from maybe having a good eye. Looking forward to testing him out. I hope he plays similar to a Sheik/ZSS, but we will see.
well so am I... I meant how did you guess it was a hyena based solely on the sillouette, before it was revealed on Dans twitter :p

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
well so am I... I meant how did you guess it was a hyena based solely on the sillouette, before it was revealed on Dans twitter :p
At least one person had to guess it right. I knew already from just talking to dan about it lmao

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys!

Haven't had time to read through the thread, but we do have a new post to share about our experiences at GDC 2015!
http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=271

We are working right now on a teaser post for Forsburn as well. Expect to see some details this week about his playstyle and his moveset.

Also congrats to those who guessed him to be a Hyena!

Thanks,
Dan Fornace

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Hey Guys!

Haven't had time to read through the thread, but we do have a new post to share about our experiences at GDC 2015!
http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=271

We are working right now on a teaser post for Forsburn as well. Expect to see some details this week about his playstyle and his moveset.

Also congrats to those who guessed him to be a Hyena!

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
Love the controller designs
and i cant wait for the forsburn teaser

ZXCV

Smash Rookie
You guys did it... You made me make an account just say that this game looks incredible and I am sooo glad to see such a great community following already. I tip my hat to Dan and the dev team I only hope to get in as playtester and above all keep up the good work guys :D I shall continue to live in this thread till the end of time waiting eagerly for the release.

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Theres 2 characters to each element. So 2 fire, 2 water, 2 earth, 2 air. That isn't changing.
It's a fire hyena. It's based on smoke and holds a machete.
Oh, I didn't know that... Thanks though.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
The only people that were fine with the roster were few and far between. Lots of people talked about how poor the roster regardless of roster being subjective.
I liked the roster to PSASBR :lol:

To me Battle Royal didn't FEEL as good as smash bros, also I talked to someone who used to go to tournaments for that game and apparently the community was NASTY. Like the "only talked to you to brag about their skills or talk crap when they lose" kind of bad

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
You guys did it... You made me make an account just say that this game looks incredible and I am sooo glad to see such a great community following already. I tip my hat to Dan and the dev team I only hope to get in as playtester and above all keep up the good work guys :D I shall continue to live in this thread till the end of time waiting eagerly for the release.
You are a good person sir. We gladly welcome you here. Ask any questions you want and we will try our best to answer them all.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Guys!

We are revealing Forsburn today!

Forsburn, the Exiled Flame, is all about deception:
http://rivalsofaether.com/blog/?p=281

Check out our blog post to read more and see some of his gameplay. Don't worry, Forsburn will still be in our third trailer, but today you can get your first look at him.

Thanks,
Dan Fornace

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Hey Guys!

Check out our blog post to read more and see some of his gameplay. Don't worry, Forsburn will still be in our third trailer, but today you can get your first look at him.

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
Huh, he's brothers with Zetterburn! Cool! But... THE DECOY THOUGH

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys!

Thanks,
Dan Fornace
Hype!

So can you control the Decoy or is it AI?

Either way he looks to have a ton of depth and I am continued to be impressed with the character designs.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hype!

So can you control the Decoy or is it AI?

Either way he looks to have a ton of depth and I am continued to be impressed with the character designs.
On r/smashbros Dan responded to this question. He said it was AI that didn't do anything defensive (rolling or countering) just attacked, but that it might change somewhat in future iterations.

He also clarified some stuff about the up-special

"Good point! Didn't have a chance to show that off in the blog. It is a teleport similar to Sheik but the hitbox in on reappearing (so maybe closer to Metaknights Down B). It puts you into fall state and has pretty hefty recovery as well.

The Up Special does synergize with his moveset too. If you teleport into a smoke cloud, you do not reveal your location, do not attack, do not go into fall state and get your double jump back. This means if you have multiple smoke clouds out, you can teleport into one and your opponent won't know where you went:http://gfycat.com/CleanReliableGalapagostortoise

You can even pursue opponents into your own clouds and follow up with an aerial very quickly." -Dan

Which also sounds awesome!

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
His DSpecial has him become a Marth Climbers for a short period of time... my god!

Oh so he can't control it? That's a little better. Seriously, a character with sword (dagger really) disjoints, strong attacks that knock the opponent towards you, and wombo combo abilities sounds more broken than Sheik Climbers lol. Although this character is looking really awesome, I think I found my secondary or possibly even a new main!

dquarius

Smash Rookie
Just checking in. Forsburn looks sick but hes not really my type of main but his playstyle looks fun to mess around with.

Top Bottom