• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Today at E3 we are revealing Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher! Check her out in action alongside Forsburn, the Exiled Flame in our third trailer!

Maypul is playable on the show floor at the Xbox Booth if you are in LA! We will also be sending out our playtester build a few hours from now which will include Maypul as well as the patch notes from last week.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
PLANT CHARACTER MASSIVELY COOLER THAN EXPECTED. Looks like there are going to be a lot of intricacies of her kit to master. I see a similarity or two to ZSS, but other than that, just from watching the trailer she seems very unique, which is super exciting!!

...but now I'm going to be obsessively checking my email all day. 'O'

EDIT: YAY

Last edited:

zman804

Smash Ace
Maypul looks SUPER cool, I'm really excited to see what she can do. You mentioned high risk, high reward, is her recovery not great?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Maypul looks SUPER cool, I'm really excited to see what she can do. You mentioned high risk, high reward, is her recovery not great?
Imagine trying to tether at a zetterburn charging his neutral-b. Seems risky. I am not shure how dangerous it will end up being against other characters though... That thought just came to mind

But yeah!! Maypul looks suuuuper fun and interesting! I am incredibly excited!

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Today at E3 we are revealing Maypul, the Sylvan Watcher! Check her out in action alongside Forsburn, the Exiled Flame in our third trailer!

Maypul is playable on the show floor at the Xbox Booth if you are in LA! We will also be sending out our playtester build a few hours from now which will include Maypul as well as the patch notes from last week.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
The setupssss!!! So hype!

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Maypul looks fantastic. ive watched the trailer a couple times now, shes got some really cool stuff going on with her rope traps. holy cow. I cannot wait to see if I make it to the next build ^.^

FunctionFn

Smash Rookie
Maypul looks awesome, looking forward to trying her(?) out when the game goes full release (or with the next playtest build, if I'm lucky enough to be included).

The reception over at /r/smashbros has also been really positive.

dquarius

Smash Rookie
checking in i apologize for ot saying anytning but ive been checking the thread everyday if i get a new build ill be more vocal about things

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
@ 4nace 4nace as it seems I likely didnt make it to the new build, I thought I would bring up my question again about streaming an older build, I would assume you would rather not have this happen?

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
@ 4nace 4nace as it seems I likely didnt make it to the new build, I thought I would bring up my question again about streaming an older build, I would assume you would rather not have this happen?
I don't think that d4nace sent out the new build yet. If he did, I guess I got booted too, but I don't think the email went out.

Gavinwie

Smash Rookie

Thanks!
Dan Fornace
Did anyone get their applications back yet?

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
I don't think that d4nace sent out the new build yet. If he did, I guess I got booted too, but I don't think the email went out.
Build already went out, @Bones is streaming it right now, and alot of people in chat have it

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys, I got into the playtester june build so i hop I can help out and find out as much as i can!! Thank you Dan for letting me have the experience to test ROA! :D:D

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
Build already went out, @Bones is streaming it right now, and alot of people in chat have it
Bones has special access to dev builds (he got the unreleased May build), but if other people in chat have the build then I guess it means that we won't. Oh well.

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Bones has special access to dev builds (he got the unreleased May build), but if other people in chat have the build then I guess it means that we won't. Oh well.
yeah everyone thats getting the build has the build at this point, :/
EDIT: they may trickle new people in as well later on.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think they were sent out about an hour ago. I got one... now I need to go buy an xbox controller....
Super excited to play with a keyboard when I get home from work today though!
EDIT: Dont worry, I got xpadder to do some mapping for me! (GC4Eva!!)

Last edited:

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Is there anyway to make the game fullscreen or something like that, i dont like the small window to play off of

EDIT: I found out how haha, my bad lol

Last edited:

Aizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
AizenCaptain5
Is there anyway to make the game fullscreen or something like that, i dont like the small window to play off of
hitting F4 should make it fullscreen!

Just noticed ive been cluttering the page with added posts, sorry guys!

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
It's okay buddy, looks like I've been cut as well. I'm just hoping all the builds haven't been sent out yet
EDIT: Realized I have two conflicting messages: I'm hoping that all the builds haven't been sent out quite yet, but if they have then I'll be sad to say I've been cut (again?)

Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Five-minute impressions:

Love how the new character plays! She's real neat. Admittedly a little awkward at first but getting used to her. U-air seems a little strong right now. F-air is really fun, reminds me of Ryu who also just came out.

First thing I noticed about this build is that it drops frames now when the March build never did (besides Forsburn but that was a more noticeable lag). Like... a lot of frames. It's not unplayable, but I'm actually not sure that I can comfortably stream the game anymore. Previously I would never have told anybody to worry about if their computer is beastly enough to run RoA but on my i5 with integrated graphics I am dropping a lot of frames. This happens in any matchup on any stage, whether or not custom profiles/controls are being used.

That being said, while Forsburn still contributes to lag he does so much less than before, so that's cool.

EDIT: With the changes made to respawning, amount of time spent with respawn invincibility seems a bit high.

EDIT2: Looking into frame drops. Seems more prevalent on Air Armada so far (playing on Basic version).

EDIT3: Maypul's U-air is almost absolutely much better than it needs to be, woooow. The knockback on that move is insane!

EDIT4: Gotta compliment Maypul's design. Dunno if she's as good as she feels but man, she moves fast as a truck and hits like one, too. Gonna play the game with friends tonight to see how to play against her!

EDIT5: Brainstorming before taking the game over and I think Maypul will be very susceptible to a bait & punish playstyle. Having trouble with Maypul? Pick Kragg and play carefully rather than aggressively. Bait her specials, parry what you can. Get her off the stage (fairly easy to do as Kragg) and you should be golden. I predict that Kragg will be a pretty effective counter to her. I'm interested to see what happens if Maypul seeds a Kragg then tries to Up-Special with a Kragg Pillar in between the two characters.

Last edited:

Shrooms2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emilio02
Absolutely loving this new build, but...

Can I change the keyboard controls?
i know its not designed for that but if it could be in a future build that will fulfill my hopes and dreams for life. (Im serious)

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Absolutely loving this new build, but...

Can I change the keyboard controls?
i know its not designed for that but if it could be in a future build that will fulfill my hopes and dreams for life. (Im serious)
Seriously. I get that X-input is your main focus, but honestly, Dan, there are SO MANY PEOPLE who either don't have access to X-input, or don't like it.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
If you guys use different controllers that are not Xbox 360 ones, extract the game, get x360ce (32 bit), place it in the same directory as the place you extracted it in, configure your controls, and it should work.

Last edited:

steak4prez

Smash Cadet
Seriously. I get that X-input is your main focus, but honestly, Dan, there are SO MANY PEOPLE who either don't have access to X-input, or don't like it.
Easy, boss. Between the fact that the game is coming out for the Xbox One and the fact that XInput controllers are arguably the most accessible USB controllers, I don't think there's anything wrong with focusing on XInput for the time being while testing something as sensitive as custom controls. Having custom controls & support for other controllers at the same time is going to take a bit of work, which as best as we can tell, there is going to be plenty of over the course of the summer.

If you guys use different controllers that are not Xbox 360 ones, extract the game, get x360ce (32 bit), place it in the same directory as the place you extracted it in, configure your controls, and it should work.
Or just do this :)

JPIII

Smash Cadet
One thing I found out about Maypul was that in the beginning of the match on any stage if you do neutral special as soon as possible you can hit the opponent and get the little leaf thing around the opponent, then after that you can up b and go from there. It doesnt seem 100% but it works a good amount of the time :D

Arctic_

Smash Rookie
Maypul's Seed Toss is kinda crazy. She can pretty much link it in and out of anything, it's crazy lagless. Plus it having an almost identical animation to the Jab looks kinda confusing too.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Can someone make like a guide or something to using x360ce for a solution to controllers that aren't Xinput, im having a lot of trouble setting it up

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Can someone make like a guide or something to using x360ce for a solution to controllers that aren't Xinput, im having a lot of trouble setting it up
Is it the software itself not working out for ya or is the game not reading your inputs?

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Can you confirm that this works? I've been fiddling with it all morning and haven't gotten it to work sadly.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Can you confirm that this works? I've been fiddling with it all morning and haven't gotten it to work sadly.
Are you also trying to use a GC controller lol? Another thing that worked for me was using Joy to Key and using the keyboard controls, the only problem with that is to dash you have to either press a button or double tap the stick :/

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Are you also trying to use a GC controller lol? Another thing that worked for me was using Joy to Key and using the keyboard controls, the only problem with that is to dash you have to either press a button or double tap the stick :/
Yes I'm having trouble with the x360ce just like you. I've been trying many things for the past hour or so, but nothing works.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
First things first:
Maypul is amazing! Really cool design and some new interesting moves!
Loving Kraggs new jumping out of a rolling rock after hitting :>
New menu transitions are awesome! Names, custom controls, everything on the UI is really great!

However, Maypul needs a few things addressed (which I'm sure you're aware of at this point). She has a little too much of everything.:
- Side-B can combo like Wrastors old dash attack at low %'s
- Neutral b is like a better falco's laser that you can do from standing, AND gives you her special effect. I feel like for as quick and threatening as her up-B is (as well as devasting vine-grab punishes), that you shouldn't always expect to have the opponent marked. But as of right now, it's extremely spammable and even if it didn't do anything special, its be one of the best moves in the game! I'd suggest making it less spammable, slower (more like a lobbing a grenade than firing a rocket), and maybe not even induce hitstun.
- Up air is a ridiculously good combo-ing / kill move. With the extra height gain / huge knockback, you can get some early kills.
- Burst downwards / sideways attacks that are near lagless that cast her effect.
- Insane movement speed! This just amplifies any other strength she has.

Full disclosure, I haven't played with people yet. But I think it'd be fantastic if she had a couple of very great strengths, and they complimented each other. (I.E. Super fast fighter, has to use speed to get in, great damage builder close range, tricky with up-b mixups, uses vines to get smash kills or depends on gimping utilizing her speed/fair/up-b vines to go off stage). However, right now she has pretty much everything except for a fast-killing smash attack. It'd also be cool to give her other weaknesses, like doing something different with Down-B so that she has trouble coming down (since her D-air hits the ground). Or making the u-air hitbox smaller or higher so that it's harder to hit falling u-airs to start your u-air of death combo.

Last edited:

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
Jeeeeesuuuussss maypul. First of all god tier name and I love the general concept.

Her neutral game is ridiculous. Dear god. Her speed... it's obscene. This is fine on it's own and it makes her combo game super free form and hype, but .... the upairs.... the repeated spikes... dear god, the upairs.

I withhold calling her anything specific until I have WAY more experience against her, but first impressions are mostly horror and 5 stocks. I'll make a more detailed post later but jeez.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I don't own the latest build, but here's an image tutorial for using x360ce in RoA
Extract the RoA file using Winrar or anything that can extract executable files

Then place your x360ce file in the same directory as RivalsofAether.exe

Go ahead and customize your controls to make a preset

Then run the file RivalsofAether.exe and voila! Now you can play without Xinput controllers! I've been enjoying playing RoA with my Logitech Dual Action Controller for over a month with no issues! If you're still having trouble, feel free to reply to this comment and I'll try to help anyone I can!

Last edited:

ChimaeraUltimo

Smash Cadet
YES! I got the june build, but I am wondering a few things. Where can I get Xinput, and can I map controls on the keyboard as my xbox controller is broken right now? I would like WASD fir movement and JKLUIO for actions. And for some reason, even when I set my controls to my name, it uses default controls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom