• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rival Sytem

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Suppose this game took the route of Playstation all stars battle royale- and each character had an opposing, like, character? Obviously it would not work for it to be their villain, unless at the end of Wii Fit Trainer's run we faught a giant personified Spicy Curry, but a lot of characters have themes that would be fun to see match up.

I do not entirely think this would happen, but it could be fun to imagine given some of the rivalries we have seen match up, such as Pit and Link in Palutena's reveal video. What are some themes you guys have seen?

Zero suit and Captain Falcon (skin tight booty; if snake is in we could go for bounty hunter)
Kirby and Pacman (the eating)
Megaman and Samus (the buster battle)
Charizard and (Ridley) (dragonzord power)
Bowser and (King K Rool)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I approve of this idea. The rival system and the stage and music mash-ups were the best things in PlayStation All Stars and I wish these two features were present in Smash 4. Anyways, Kirby should be Mega Man's (not Megaman) rival, since both characters absorb the abilities of their enemies. Charizard being Ridley's rival would work, but it would also be kinda boring, same goes to Samus and Mega Man. Pit/Link and Zamus/Falcon are really nice, though. Some of my ideas:

Pac-Man and Yoshi (they eat things)
Peach and Marth (because both are fabulous and why not)
Mario and Donkey Kong (because "Jumpman" and Cranky Kong were enemies)
Palutena and Rosalina (Palutena is a goddess and Rosalina is... kinda one)
Wii Fit Trainer and King (guess why)
Samus and DK would world too, they are the heaviest characters in Smash64 and Metroid/DK are the two franchises Retro worked with
Charizard and Lucario (easily the two most popular Pokémon not counting the mascot)
Sheik and Greninja (guess why)
Little Mac and Bowser (a boxer vs sort of a wrestler, at least considering his moves in smash)

Considering non-confirmed characters

Shulk and Zamus (they are both blond :troll: and originally from sci-fi-ish games)
Chorus Kid and Mr. Game & Watch (2D characters)
Pikachu and Olimar (Both are far bigger in Smash than they are in their original games... yeah, its a poor reasoning, but still)

Well, this is fun. xD

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd like Sonic Vs. Mario, with Sonic's witty comments and Mario going "LET'S-A GO!" before the battle.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I approve of this idea. The rival system and the stage and music mash-ups were the best things in PlayStation All Stars and I wish these two features were present in Smash 4. Anyways, Kirby should be Mega Man's (not Megaman) rival, since both characters absorb the abilities of their enemies. Charizard being Ridley's rival would work, but it would also be kinda boring, same goes to Samus and Mega Man. Pit/Link and Zamus/Falcon are really nice, though. Some of my ideas:

Pac-Man and Yoshi (they eat things)
Peach and Marth (because both are fabulous and why not)
Mario and Donkey Kong (because "Jumpman" and Cranky Kong were enemies)
Palutena and Rosalina (Palutena is a goddess and Rosalina is... kinda one)
Wii Fit Trainer and King (guess why)
Samus and DK would world too, they are the heaviest characters in Smash64 and Metroid/DK are the two franchises Retro worked with
Charizard and Lucario (easily the two most popular Pokémon not counting the mascot)
Sheik and Greninja (guess why)
Little Mac and Bowser (a boxer vs sort of a wrestler, at least considering his moves in smash)

Considering non-confirmed characters

Shulk and Zamus (they are both blond :troll: and originally from sci-fi-ish games)
Chorus Kid and Mr. Game & Watch (2D characters)
Pikachu and Olimar (Both are far bigger in Smash than they are in their original games... yeah, its a poor reasoning, but still)

Well, this is fun. xD
I was actually thinking Pac-Man and Game and Watch (if he's indeed confirmed).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was actually thinking Pac-Man and Game and Watch (if he's indeed confirmed).
It would work too, because of Pac-Man's trailer and because both were born in the same year.

Chorus Kid and Wario would be also interesting, since both characters are from puzzle-oriented games.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Zelda vs Peach
(Mewtwo) vs Lucario
Palutena vs Rosalina
WFT vs (R.O.B)
Little Mac vs Samus
DK vs Mario
Marth vs Chrom
Ike vs Shulk

Speaking of rivalries, another feature I'd like to see Smash Bros. borrow is the way stages were made by fusing two different universes together.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Any Hero x Their Anti-Hero/Villain
Ness x (Mewtwo)
Pac Man x Yoshi x Kirby x Wario
Wario/Dedede/Bowser/(K. Rool) x WFT
(R.O.B.) x Mega Man

Laniv

Smash Champion
Samus vs. Mega Man ("I'm not a robot. Really.")
Villager vs. Fox ("What are you talking about? I don't sell fake paintings!")
Pit vs King Dedede("Oh come on, he can fly too?!")

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I guess we could have themes in general in this game, because I don't see them necessarily having direct one on one rivals here.

Such as mascots which they have made a big deal about
pacman x sonic x megaman x mario

eaters
pacman x yoshi x kirby x wario

psychic showdown
lucas x mewtwo x shulk

kings
dedede x bowser x k.rool

but now maybe it is just becoming too much like events

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Let's see here.

Lucas vs Ness vs Mewtwo. (If all three are confirmed.)
The 3 psychics.

Mario vs Sonic.
Obvious one.

Sheik vs Greninja.
Ninjas.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Rosalina Vs. Palutena - God like being vs a goddess.

Luigi Vs. Pac-Man - Ghost busting.

(Shulk) Vs. Mega Man - Hatred for Mechon Vs SUPAH FIGHTIN ROBOT!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Let me try to make rival pairings of the whole roster (excluding Mii Fighters)...

Mario VS Sonic
Mega Man VS Zero Suit Samus
Pac-Man VS Mr. Game & Watch
Peach VS Zelda
Bowser VS King Dedede
Yoshi VS Kirby
Pit VS Villager
Little Mac VS Link
Greninja VS Sheik
Ike VS Charizard
Marth VS Toon Link
Samus VS Fox
Wii Fit Trainer VS Lucario
Olimar VS Donkey Kong
Luigi VS Diddy Kong

I think I got everyone...

Last edited:

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Brawl already have this in form of special quotes

-fox vs falco "better luck next time falco"

There are more but cant remember them right now.

D

Deleted member

OlimarXRidley(Guess why! :awesome: )
PitXPeach("She can fly!?")
ZeldaXRosalina(Reincarnation of a goddessXGoddess-like being)
IkeXLittle Mac(muh muscles and "The punch is mightier than the sword)
MarthXSamus("Wait, you're a woman/man!?)
KirbyXVillager(inside they're psychopaths)
LuigiXDiddy Kong(The sidekicks)
Pac-ManXG&W("In my time...")
Meta KnightXFox(The Metagame)
MarioXMii(this)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The PotD in no way confirms Rival systems

No way does it do that.
But it does say that at the end of the main adventure mode in the 3DS system, we will see special final bosses.

This could be anything from Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser,
to simple staples of King K Rool and Ridley.

Or, it could be series specific, wherein each division of characters fights its big bad
(and the big bad fights the hero? So that Mario, Peach, Rosalina, and Luigi all fight Bowser, but Bowser would fight Mario)

Perhaps this is why villains were held back for so long?!!!?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The PotD in no way confirms Rival systems

No way does it do that.
But it does say that at the end of the main adventure mode in the 3DS system, we will see special final bosses.

This could be anything from Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser,
to simple staples of King K Rool and Ridley.

Or, it could be series specific, wherein each division of characters fights its big bad
(and the big bad fights the hero? So that Mario, Peach, Rosalina, and Luigi all fight Bowser, but Bowser would fight Mario)

Perhaps this is why villains were held back for so long?!!!?
A decent theory, I guess. I'd like to see that. Thought rival fights in most other fighters are right before the bosses. So it'd be a bit of a subversion to the normal Fighting game progression style.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions though. For now, I'm going to assume it's just referring to Crazy Hand.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Same thing I kind of said in the OCDT (Official Character Discussion Thread), is that based on your character, you may get a rival to battle your own character within the same series, or a very comparable fighter that compliments the same traits of your character in a similar category such as: Clone, Machine, Boxer, King, Plumber, 'Replacement', Nintendo History, etc..

The Final Boss ending may be a Boss from the same series you're current playing character hails from, such as Ness fighting Porky at the end.
EDIT:
Here's Melee's Classic Mode as an example, see Spoiler:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Classic_Mode#In_Super_Smash_Bros._Melee
Classic Mode stages
  • Stage 1: 1 vs 1 (Opponent chosen at random from a list of characters)
  • Stage 2: 2 vs 2 (Ally is chosen at random from a list of allies while the team the player is fighting is randomly picked from a list of 29 teams)
  • Stage 3: Target Test
  • Stage 4: 1 vs 1 (Opponent chosen at random from a list of characters)
  • Stage 5: 3 vs 1 Giant Character (Allies chosen at random from a list of allies while a giant character is chosen out of a list of giant characters randomly)
  • Stage 6: Snag the Trophies **** this Mode it replaced Board the Platforms
  • Stage 7: 1 vs 1 (Opponent chosen at random from a list of characters)
  • Stage 8: 1 vs 10 of the same character (Teams are chosen at random out of a list)
  • Stage 9: Race to the Finish **** this it gets removed from Brawl anyways
  • Stage 10: 1 vs 1 Metal character (Opponent chosen at random from a list of metal characters)
  • Stage 11: 1 vs Master Hand and sometimes Crazy Hand if certain conditions are met.
Slash through & smaller font have no merit to the topic of Rival Battles occurring if we were to use Melee's example. Underlined are the battles perfect for using the Rival Battle aspect. Whether it's Normal, Multi, Metal, or Giant, all of them can be worthy fights for Rivals to appear.
Here's Brawl's Classic Mode as an example, see Spoiler:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Classic_Mode#In_Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl
Key: Level & Universe(s) / Battle Type
Giant = /w or w/o allies from random or within the same Universe for the level / your series
Team = 2v2 Random or a series exclusive only
Multi = 1v10
Metal = Metal version of whatever said characters
Normal = 1v1
  • Level 1 - Legend of Zelda / Team or Normal
  • Level 2 - Yoshi, Donkey Kong (Minor Mario characters) / Giant, Team, or Normal
  • Level 3 - Pokemon / Giant, Team, or Normal
  • Level 4 - Fire Emblem or EarthBound (Originally Japanese-only RPGs) / Giant, Team, Multi, or Normal
  • Level 5 - Kirby / Giant, Team, Multi, or Normal
  • Level 6 - Metroid or Pikmin (Planet Explorers) / Giant, Multi, Metal, or Normal
  • Level 7 - Star Fox or F-Zero (Spaceship Flyers) / Giant, Team, Multi, Metal, or Normal
  • Level 8 - Super Mario Bros. / Giant, Team, Multi, Metal, or Normal
  • Level 9 - Game and Watch, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, or R.O.B (Obsecure Classics) / Giant, Multi, Metal, or Normal
  • Level 10 - WarioWare, Metal Gear, or Sonic the Hedgehog (non-Nintendo characters, or portrayed that way in-universe) / Giant, Multi, Metal, or Normal
  • Level 11 - Free for All / 3 Random based characters to fight
  • Level 12 - Master Hand and/or Crazy Hand
If depending on your own Universe' Series symbol, you could have a possibility of fighting a rival that shares your Series symbol, or perhaps wheresoever else could be a good place on the Classic Mode map to fight your RIval. Probably should be the 2nd last spot on the map right before fighting Master Hand and/or Crazy Hand. An even better Idea could be at any time you fight a 1v1 situation & it's your same symbol, or a same trait you share with someone else on the roster such as Captains, Bounty Hunters, Magic Users, etc., you fight them multiple times kind of like a mix of Melee & Brawl. There's always 3 1v1 battles in Melee but instead that could be your RIval fought 3 times to emphasize on the "Best 2 out of 3 is the winner" kind of deal. The final fight between you & your Rival should be the 2nd last fight as posted before.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
I don't mind the Double Post warning, I don't feel like editing my post above more. . . SO!

So currently with nothing about Sm4sh & Sm5sh's full pathway or without the full information about the Classic Mode in the 4th & 5th installments, it's best to stick to this Thread's topic & discuss some Rival Battle Ideas:
HM = Honorable Mention(s)
:4bowser:: VS :4charizard: = Flame-Breathing Reptiles

:4falcon:: VS :4fox: OR :4olimar: OR :4samus: OR :falco:. HM: Blaziken (Spaceship flyers) (Captains) (Bounty Hunters) (Falcon Duet) (HM: Clone Battle:troll:)

:4charizard:: VS :4greninja: OR Sceptile if that happens. (Starter Type Trio Trifecta)

:4dedede:: VS :4bowser: OR :4dk: OR King K. Rool if that happens. (Titanic Giants / Kings)

:4diddy:: VS :4luigi:. HM: Tails (Side-kicks / Partners to their main protagonists)

:4fox:: VS :falco: OR :wolf: OR Krystal if that happens. (Star Fox series)

:4greninja:: VS :4sheik: (Ninjas)

:4kirby:: VS :jigglypuff: OR :4link: OR :4mario: OR :4pikachu: / OR VS :4megaman: (Puffloaties) (Mascots from the Original Four most selling Franchises LoZ, Super Mario Bros., & Pokemon) (Copy Abilities)

:4myfriends:: VS :4olimar: OR :roypm: if that happens. (I Fight for my Friends VS My Friends Fight for me) (Sword Clashing) (Replacement Battle)

:4littlemac:: VS :popo: OR :gw: OR :4pacman: OR :4pit: OR :rob: (Obsecure Classic characters)

:4link:: VS :4marth: OR :4pit: OR :4samus: OR :4tlink: OR :4yoshi: (Melee Sword Clash) (Trailer) (Projectile War)(SummonedSkull vs ToonSummonedSkull. Yu-gi-oh joke) (SubSpaceEmissaryAllies & Green)

:4lucario:: VS :mewtwopm: OR :4charizard: OR :4greninja: OR :4pikachu: OR any Pokemon (Long-awaited Battle to settle the score / Replacement battle) (Pokemon Battles waiting to demolish the other)

:4lucina:: VS :4marth: OR :roypm: If that happens. OR :4falcon: (Literally Clone) (Clone-PsuedoReplacement) (Trailer)

:4luigi:: VS :4link: OR :4palutena: OR :4tlink: OR :4yoshi: (Green Team dispute)

:4mario:: Meh Flame Users. & VS :4megaman: OR :4pacman: OR :4sonic: (Flame War) (Mascot War) (War War War:troll:)

:4marth:: VS :4falcon: OR :4metaknight: OR Slash Users (Melee Sword Clash) (Ken VS Issai)(SubSpace Rivalry) (Sword Clash)

:4megaman:: VS :rob: (Fighting Robots!)

:4olimar:: VS :4samus: (Planet Explorers)

:4palutena:: VS :4link: OR :4luigi: OR :4tlink: OR :4yoshi: OR :4pit: OR :4peach: OR :4robinf: OR :4zelda: (Round 2 of Trailer) (Green Team Hotness) (Mother - Son-esque) (Magic can only be defeated with Magic! Jackie Chan Adventures Joke starring Uncle)

:4pacman:: VS :gw: (Obsecure Classics) (1980)

:4peach:: VS :rosalina: OR :4zelda: OR :4zss: (Magic Users /insert same joke here) (Princess Rivalry / Magic / Nintendo Girls / Super Mario Sisters)

:4pit:: VS :4metaknight: & :4tlink: (Angel / Devil?) (Bows/Arrows/Shields = :4link::4palutena::4pit: & :4tlink:)

:4robinm:/:4robinf:: See :4palutena: & :4peach:, VS :4falcon: OR :falco: (Magic Users) (Robin = bird & Falcon = bird, Bird Battle!)

:4samus:: VS :4littlemac: OR :4zss: (Trailer) (Separated Transformation = Fight Yourself)

:4sheik:: VS :4zelda: (Separated Transformation = Fight Yourself)

:4sonic:: VS :4falcon: OR :4greninja: OR :4lucario: OR :4megaman: OR :snake: OR :warioc: (Speed Demon) (Blue Team) (non-Nintendo portrayal)

:4wiifit:: VS :4falcon: OR :4myfriends: OR :4littlemac: (Muscles Muscles = Work-out at the Gym) (Hotness)

:4yoshi:: VS :4charizard: OR :4dk: OR :4mario: OR :4pacman: (Pseudo-dragons) (Minor Mario characters) (Betrayal score settling) (Biting / Eating / Gobbling)

:4zss:: VS :ivysaur: if that happens, & :jigglypuff: if that happens, & :4lucina: & :4palutena: & :4peach: & :4robinf: & :rosalina: & :4samus: & :4sheik: & :4wiifit: & :4zelda: & :4zss: herself (Every Hotness ever playable in Smash Brothers History)

HMs: :4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4robinf: VS :lucas::ness2: (Past JRPG-only)
:drmario: VS :4mario:
:pichumelee: VS :4pikachu:
:roymelee: VS :4myfriends: OR :4lucina: OR :4marth:
:younglinkmelee: VS :4tlink: OR :4link:
(Clone VS Original)

Last edited:

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
Isn't this basically what the event matches are? Just saying...

Raijinken

Smash Master
"You're nothing compared to the underworld army" says Pit right before getting his rear handed to him.

That said, I've always pictured either series villains, or clones/semiclones, or obvious rivalries (3rd parties vs Mario) as the main rivalry matchups.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I really enjoyed the rival system is PSASBR and thought it was something that could be implemented as a mode in Smash once all of the characters were unlocked. Here are the rivalries that I envisioned.

:4mario::4sonic: (destined rivals Nintendo vs Sega)
:4link::4pit: (blessed warriors and Palutena reveal trailer)
:4pikachu::ness2: (can control elemental powers)
:4kirby::4yoshi: (eats things)
:4fox::4zss: (futuristic pilots and warriors)
:4luigi::4diddy: (side kicks and in the shadows of the mascots)
:4dk::4peach: (DK kidnapped Paulina...Peach is sorta like Paulina)
:4zelda::4wiifit: (both utilize mystical powers of some sort)
:4marth::4metaknight: (mysterious swordsman)
:4samus::4megaman: (heavy projectile users)
:4bowser::4greninja: (fire vs water and reptile/amphibian)
:4charizard::4falcon: (fire dragon vs fire falcon)
:wario::4dedede: (fat and greedy)
:4tlink::4villager: (small lol. Cartoonish in appearance. Toon Link also collects things)
:4myfriends::4littlemac: (the fist is mightier than the sword or the other way around. Macho men)
:4palutena::rosalina: (goddesses)
:gw::4pacman: (1980)
:4lucario::4sheik: (both are heavy melee oriented characters and quick)
:ganondorf::4robinm::4robinf: (a character who should use swords and magic and character(s) who actually do)

And if the leaks prove to be true...

Bowser Jr :4olimar: (characters who use minions to battle)
:4lucina: Dark Pit (posed as their homage characters. Clones)
:drmario::4mii: (two characters nobody wants lol)
:rob: Duck Hunt Dog (retro)

Ran out room for :falco:

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Mario and Sonic is all I'm going to say. It fits so perfectly that there's no real reason to continue.
That's the freaking match that you'd write down in your history books!!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Bowser Jr. VS :4bowser: (Father VS Son)
Duck Hunt VS :rob: (NES Remixed)
:gw: VS :4pacman: (Battle of the Classics)
:drmario: VS :4lucina: (Clone Wars)
Dark Pit VS :4pit: (Dark and Light)
Now for the fun one.
:4mii: Rivals.
:4mii:RED = VS :4mario:
:4mii:ORANGE = VS :4samus:
:4mii:YELLOW = VS :4pacman:
:4mii:LIME GREEN = VS :4yoshi:
:4mii:GREEN = VS :4luigi:
:4mii:LIGHT BLUE = VS :4megaman:
:4mii:BLUE = VS :4sonic:
:4mii:PURPLE = VS :4robinm: