• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rising Platform Shine-lands

Jono

Smash Apprentice
I've recently encountered and have been experimenting with rising shine-lands while practicing. It seems like a way to bypass wavelanding when going for a shinegrab.

After a jump, If you do a perfect spaced shine where you will land immediately on a platform, you can cancel that into a grab or upsmash without having to waveland.

Because you're landing while in shine, you skip the regular landing animation and immediately transition from aerial to the grounded shine animation.

When you shine as you know you cancel momentum and start falling. But if you're shining like a pixel below the platform, you end up landing on the platform because shine apparently moves you up onto it.

So a scenario could be if the opponent is shielding on the platform and is expecting Falco to maybe shine waveland or something. But instead, Falco jumps, shines from below(hits shield), lands in his shine a frame later, and then JC grabs from the shine. Much more frame efficient than a waveland.

I've gotten it much more consistently on the Battlefield platforms, maybe because of the height. I have no idea how the frame data checks out on this type of shine-grab but it's probably slightly weaker than a regular one. Has anyone experimented with this before?

A friend pointed out that landing on the same frame as shining won't bring out the hitbox as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkBQe6m2vnA
I haven't experienced it from doing a rising shine, however. Does anyone have any information about this?

-------------edit
There's another thread for more information that I managed to find today: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-fox-technique-shine-landing.261264/

Last edited:
Top Bottom