• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I haven't posted in the Ridley thread because it's a little too big to jump into the discussion. :smirk:

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that they could scale him down, if they wanted to. However, I'm not sure if that would have a positive impact on his character, which is known mostly for being a gigantic dragon. It would be unsettling seeing him run around at Samus' head height. I know there are other cases in which characters have been resized, but Ridley is a much more serious villain than someone like Bowser, and Bowser's chunky proportions lend themselves to shrinkage much more than Ridley's already very lanky limbs. Plus Ridley's wingspan would still be gigantic even at Bowser size, so they would need to be shortened individually or retracted or something.

So yeah, I think they certainly could add him, but there are a lot of changes that would need to be made to his character that as a fan of Ridley I'm not sure I'd want to see. I also think we should consider that despite being the second most important Metroid character after Samus, Ridley was ousted as a newcomer by Zero Suit Samus, who is fairly minor in comparison. I'm just guessing here, but that could indicate Sakurai thinks Ridley is in some way inappropriate as a playable character.

I really loved his boss fights in the SSE, though, so if he doesn't make it then I'd be very happy to see those return.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
His chances are TOO Small because he is TOO BiG.

THATS IT I AM SICK AND TIRED OF YOU NEGATIVE PEOPLE ABOUT HIS SIZE RIDLEY IS RESIZABLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY ELSE IS RESIZE COMPARE TO WHAT OLMIARS SIZE IS HES A TITAN NOW AND BOWSER WAS WAY BIGGER BEFORE NOW AND HE WAS THE SIZE OF A TITAN IN MARIO GALAXY 2 EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A SPELL

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

THATS IT I AM SICK AND TIRED OF YOU NEGATIVE PEOPLE ABOUT HIS SIZE RIDLEY IS RESIZABLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY ELSE IS RESIZE COMPARE TO WHAT OLMIARS SIZE IS HES A TITAN NOW AND BOWSER WAS WAY BIGGER BEFORE NOW AND HE WAS THE SIZE OF A TITAN IN MARIO GALAXY 2 EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A SPELL
Dude, he was joking. He's a fan of Ridley, actually. :p

Though, it's understandable, since you're new here.

Reznor

work in progress
I haven't posted in the Ridley thread because it's a little too big to jump into the discussion. :smirk:

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that they could scale him down, if they wanted to. However, I'm not sure if that would have a positive impact on his character, which is known mostly for being a gigantic dragon. It would be unsettling seeing him run around at Samus' head height. I know there are other cases in which characters have been resized, but Ridley is a much more serious villain than someone like Bowser, and Bowser's chunky proportions lend themselves to shrinkage much more than Ridley's already very lanky limbs. Plus Ridley's wingspan would still be gigantic even at Bowser size, so they would need to be shortened individually or retracted or something.

So yeah, I think they certainly could add him, but there are a lot of changes that would need to be made to his character that as a fan of Ridley I'm not sure I'd want to see. I also think we should consider that despite being the second most important Metroid character after Samus, Ridley was ousted as a newcomer by Zero Suit Samus, who is fairly minor in comparison. I'm just guessing here, but that could indicate Sakurai thinks Ridley is in some way inappropriate as a playable character.

I really loved his boss fights in the SSE, though, so if he doesn't make it then I'd be very happy to see those return.
because bowser is a funny villain he can be shrunk but ridley can't because hes serious?
I don't understand this logic at all

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Ridley's too big and no amount of caps will change that. :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Ridley's character has nothing to do with size, as I've said a million times. He's Samus' Bowser and Ganondorf, he can be scaled and molded in whatever way he needs to, because all he needs to represent is the rivalry that Samus and Ridley has going. Even in Metroid Prime 3 he changes sizes in between his two battles. Ridley has been scaled before to fit his role, and will be scaled again. As for him being "too serious," Ridley in Brawl looks a bit goofy actually, so I don't think that's a problem at all. And yes, his proportions would need to be altered, which is fine. Smaller wings and cut a few inches off of his tail, then position his wings and tail like with Charizard.

Like you said, he's certainly doable, and there's not really anything that is realistically hindering his inclusion other than what might be Sakurai's view on things. He would take some extra effort from the team for sure, but heck, the guy behind this game is the same man who included Pokémon Trainer in the last game, Ridley wouldn't be as hard to include as Pokémon Trainer, and that's not only talking about the implemention of the Pokémons, but also that Sakurai has said that Pokémon characters are hard to get the rights to. Sakurai always goes way out of his way to include the best possible characters, so if anything hinders Ridley it's not that he's hard to implement or that he's impossible, it'd be either time restrictions or maybe if Sakurai doesn't feel that he's fit as a character.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Bro im joking...LMFAOOO i aint a reall TOO BiGGeR...chill...couldnt you see that from my post?

The only thing holding Ridley back imo is the last part of ''Speculater's 2nd Paragraph.

Its up to Sakurai yo and if he doesnt get in he will never tell us why anyway...im a huge Ridley supporter i aint been negative against him im being Real.

RealTalk.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ridley's character has nothing to do with size, as I've said a million times. He's Samus' Bowser and Ganondorf, he can be scaled and molded in whatever way he needs to, because all he needs to represent is the rivalry that Samus and Ridley has going. Even in Metroid Prime 3 he changes sizes in between his two battles. Ridley has been scaled before to fit his role, and will be scaled again. As for him being "too serious," Ridley in Brawl looks a bit goofy actually, so I don't think that's a problem at all. And yes, his proportions would need to be altered, which is fine. Smaller wings and cut a few inches off of his tail, then position his wings and tail like with Charizard.

Like you said, he's certainly doable, and there's not really anything that is realistically hindering his inclusion other than what might be Sakurai's view on things. He would take some extra effort from the team for sure, but heck, the guy behind this game is the same man who included Pokémon Trainer in the last game, Ridley wouldn't be as hard to include as Pokémon Trainer, and that's not only talking about the implemention of the Pokémons, but also that Sakurai has said that Pokémon characters are hard to get the rights to. Sakurai always goes way out of his way to include the best possible characters, so if anything hinders Ridley it's not that he's hard to implement or that he's impossible, it'd be either time restrictions or maybe if Sakurai doesn't feel that he's fit as a character.
Best s_it ever all here RealTalk copy and paste/save that somewhere its perfect thats my only gripe to and its not even mine...its Sakurai's. Mad respect yo well done Serious.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Best s_it ever all here RealTalk copy and paste/save that somewhere its perfect thats my only gripe to and its not even mine...its Sakurai's. Mad respect yo well done Serious.
I've written this argument 703 times by now, no need to save it unless you want to throw it at someone :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I've written this argument 703 times by now, no need to save it unless you want to throw it at someone :p
First time i have seen it well as well written and perfectly as you have just done i wouldnt even change even one word from it.

You litreally snuck into my mind like a Hypno Paedophile and dream eater my thoughts on the whole s_it RealTalk mad respect.

You can use the Phrase ''RealTalk'' for the remainder of today if you want.
Thats how hard you swam through the Tauros Bull* and murdered it.

Speculator

Smash Ace
it'd be either time restrictions or maybe if Sakurai doesn't feel that he's fit as a character.
Yeah, this is ultimately the case. My concern with Ridley is that it would be difficult to implement him as a Smash fighter while maintaining repsect for his character. What I don't want to see is a squat, stocky Ridley with little stubby wings running around a stage punching characters not much smaller than he is. While I don't think his size is central to his character, it's certainly an element to some degree. The Metroid games show the rivalry between Samus and Ridley visually, as well as contextually. Each time we see this huge monster hell-bent on killing Samus, and each time she overcomes him. It's the age-old dragonslayer trope. While it's by no means as important as the death of Samus' parents or Ridley's constant ressurection, I don't think it's fair to say it isn't a consideration at all.

So far, Sakurai has been very adept at honoring the original source when including a character in SSB. I just think the alterations required for Ridley to fit in are pretty drastic. I have confidence he'd be able to do it, but only with tremendous effort and only if he thought it possible, and I'm not sure the latter is true. I was a big fan of including the Balloon Fighter, but obviously there's something about him that Sakurai feels is inappropriate and the same might well be the case for Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, this is ultimately the case. My concern with Ridley is that it would be difficult to implement him as a Smash fighter while maintaining repsect for his character. What I don't want to see is a squat, stocky Ridley with little stubby wings running around a stage punching characters not much smaller than he is. While I don't think his size is central to his character, it's certainly an element to some degree. The Metroid games show the rivalry between Samus and Ridley visually, as well as contextually. Each time we see this huge monster hell-bent on killing Samus, and each time she overcomes him. It's the age-old dragonslayer trope. While it's by no means as important as the death of Samus' parents or Ridley's constant ressurection, I don't think it's fair to say it isn't a consideration at all.

So far, Sakurai has been very adept at honoring the original source when including a character in SSB. I just think the alterations required for Ridley to fit in are pretty drastic. I have confidence he'd be able to do it, but only with tremendous effort and only if he thought it possible, and I'm not sure the latter is true. I was a big fan of including the Balloon Fighter, but obviously there's something about him that Sakurai feels is inappropriate and the same might well be the case for Ridley.
It's true that size is part of Ridley's character, but that's also the case with Bowser. Ridley can in my opinion be scaled down and still feel like he is the same Ridley we love. His wings have usually been incredibly small in the 2D games too, though I sure wouldn't want them to be that small, that'd just be unnecessary. Ridley is bound to be one of the, if not the biggest character in the game if he is in, so he'd still tower over most characters, and in that regard I feel that the respect will still be well paid.

I don't think Sakurai's respect is what can hinder Ridley's inclusion because... well because Ganondorf.

Also, I like the dragonslaying comparison, haven't really looked at it that way before.

Reznor

work in progress

the first game hes the same size as samus and Bowser being a giant in the main mario games has become part of his character heck it seems he gets bigger every game

almost forgot to write this part
yes Sakurai respects the characters so much thats why Ganondorf has his own move set :glare:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Bro im joking...LMFAOOO i aint a reall TOO BiGGeR...chill...couldnt you see that from my post?

The only thing holding Ridley back imo is the last part of ''Speculater's 2nd Paragraph.

Its up to Sakurai yo and if he doesnt get in he will never tell us why anyway...im a huge Ridley supporter i aint been negative against him im being Real.

RealTalk.
Ok if you joke sorry about that reaction and yes that's why I reacted his size can be changed and its sakurais call to bring him in or not I just remembered the real Ridley form you were supporting him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom