• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley as a playable character is BAD.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
First of all just hear me out. I am a very big fan of metroid and also wanted Ridley in, but I see these people on this board still complaining about his unavailability as a playable character. Today I talked with a few people at school and also a few employees from some game retailers. They gave me a totally different outlook on why Ridley is a bad idea as a playable character.

1. Ridley is too good of a character- When people think of Ridley, many think BAD A**!!! Don't you think making him as a character would lessen his value?

2. Disgracing the character- In addition, if this character were in fact playable, you would very well being have this awesome, B.A. character being abused by some new guy. I dont wanna sound rude to any other characters (as this can and will happen to everyone) to me Ridley seems just too.....hmm how would i say this.....Valuable

Please take these points of view as nothing offensive towards other characters, just another perspective.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I feel like they might have to nerf Ridley. I mean, he's huge, has claws, can fly, probably would be decently fast.

Then again, I'm too sick to think straight.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I agree:

Ridley is an understandable disappointment. I wanted him. You probably wanted him.
But consider actually putting him in Brawl. Ridley is super fast, very powerful, has great reach, and he's huge.
He's an awesome character, for sure, but consider trying to place him in a game while maintaining balance.
Ridley would have to be severely nerfed. He'd also have to be shrunken.
Considering his reach, he'd have to be shrunken quite a bit. That's a funny picture. Tiny baby Ridley, who's now in a balanced game getting beaten up by Kirby and Pikachu. He's either fast and doesn't do much damage, making his attacks seem flimsy compared to the might he portrays in the Metroid games, or for no particular reason he's slow. There are other possibilities, but face it- Ridley has it all. He's super bad***. Bowser isn't. Ganon isn't. They're strong and slow. But Ridley is everything great and hardly anything lacking.
Imagine seeing this mighty dragon nerfed to the extent he'd have to be in order to be in a balanced game. After you imagine that, and him getting beaten up by Pikachu and Kirby, try to tell me that That Ridley is the same Ridley you want in Brawl.
I think I was expecting some sort of magic to happen in order to accommodate this problem, but realistically I believe solutions were just too difficult or awkward.
I bet the team tried. Honestly I do, but instead of castrate him, I think they opted to make him into not one, but two ridiculously awesome bosses in the game.
No one really wins in this situation. It wasn't possible. I think they made the best choice.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Thank you! I agree:

Ridley is an understandable disappointment. I wanted him. You probably wanted him.
But consider actually putting him in Brawl. Ridley is super fast, very powerful, has great reach, and he's huge.
He's an awesome character, for sure, but consider trying to place him in a game while maintaining balance.
Considering his reach, he'd have to be shrunken quite a bit. That's a funny picture. Tiny baby Ridley, who's now in a balanced game getting beaten up by Kirby and Pikachu. He's either fast and doesn't do much damage, making his attacks seem flimsy compared to the might he portrays in the Metroid games, or for no particular reason he's slow. There are other possibilities, but face it- Ridley has it all. He's super bad***. Bowser isn't. Ganon isn't. They're strong and slow. But Ridley is everything great and hardly anything lacking.
Imagine seeing this mighty dragon nerfed to the extent he'd have to be in order to be in a balanced game. After you imagine that, and him getting beaten up by Pikachu and Kirby, try to tell me that That Ridley is the same Ridley you want in Brawl.
I think I was expecting some sort of magic to happen in order to accommodate this problem, but realistically I believe solutions were just too difficult or awkward.
I bet the team tried. Honestly I do, but instead of castrate him, I think they opted to make him into not one, but two ridiculously awesome bosses in the game.
No one really wins in this situation. It wasn't possible. I think they made the best choice.
In other words, Ridley is the perfect boss ;)

That isn't saying I wouldn't enjoy playing with him, personally he was one of my top picks, but he IS an SSE boss, and that role does suit him. I personally can't wait to see him in there, and I am hoping he is a reoccurring boss, since I have seen multiple images of him in different places.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
It really doesn't matter how big or how fast he should be or how much he can fly or whatever reason you believe he shouldn't be playable. Regardless, the Smash team or just about anybody else for that matter should be creative enough to think up a plausible way to include him as a playable character.

In the end, he is NOT playable in Brawl, so you should really just stop making up excuses why he shouldn't be in, because he isn't. All it would take is some creativity, which was used to make him a boss instead.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I agree:

..........................Perhaps you're right.

QFPT (Quoted for potential truth)

Sogeking

Smash Cadet
In all events he would probably a buffed Charizard Clone even if he was in the game

S2

Smash Lord
If they can take Kirby, who is 8 inches short, and make him as big as Mario, they can make Ridley smaller.
Wrong. Characters appear in the same aspect ratio as their games.

Ridley would not only have to be smaller, he'd have to be much smaller to make up for his wings.

Some people don't understand how games are made at all. Programming and model graphics don't all ways magically work. Some things are technically feasible.

Fimbulvetr

Smash Rookie
I agree very strongly with the original poster and neoREgen (you in fact hit the nail on the head). Ridley is just too good. His arsenal is huge, he's incredibly fast, he can take a huge beating and is so dangerous in melee combat. Hell, his tail can sometimes flick over the entire arena (these are by no means small) when he turns around after his charge attacks. His boss battles are just so epic, it's just what he had to be.

Ridley is just simply a flying, armoured, fire-breathing, seemingly invincible, space pirate dragon. As much as playing as him would have been awesome, only a boss battle could do him justice.

EDIT: @ S2: He is 8 inches in the game canon, where Lucario is like 3 ft something. In Brawl, they are roughly the same. Have you ever looked in the original Pikmin manual? It has a comparison for Pikmin and Olimar to a GC disc. They're less than half it's height.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Perfect boss. Bad-***. Yeah he is these things, that's why we wanted to PLAY him.

Smash Brothers is fan service, it's the chance to play characters we love when we couldn't anywhere else. This is why we wanted to play Ridley. We knew he'd have to be nerfed, we knew he had to be shrunk. We didn't care, we just wanted to play the **** guy...thing...whatever.

Look at his size in the opening video for Melee. That's not a baby by any means, but he's still the size of Samus and looking badass regardless. And as for too powerful? Look at Meta-knight, look at Charizard, they could have made Ridley work. They wanted him for Melee, his appeal lasted all these years, and with two years of development, I'm sorry, there's no excuse. They had to know how popular he was, hell I heard rumors they were attempting to put him in Melee.

So yeah, maybe we wouldn't be playing a giant dragon who would take up half the screen, but if any of the Ridley boards were still up, you'd see NONE of us wanted that anyways, we wanted a smaller, well-balanced character. It didn't matter if he wasn't as epic as he is in his games. Bowser sure as hell isn't, and Ganon? good god doesn't even has his sword.

So yeah, I'm not trying to complain, I will buy the game, and I will love it. It looks amazing with or without playable Ridley, and I will enjoy his boss battles. But saying he's better as a boss? If you want an amazing Ridley boss fight, play a Metroid game. All we've ever had was epic fights with him, just for once we wanted the chance to play for his team is all. Small or not.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
Who the hell seriously thinks Bowser is as badass as Ridley? Bowser is more of your sado-masochist brand of evil, he seems to want to get his *** kicked.

"Gee I better jump so Mario can run under me and axe my Bridge"

"Gee I better place mines all around the stage so Mario has something to throw me into"

"Christ I don't have anything better to do when getting my *** kicked by Mario, how about I take a Bath?"

Ridley wants to devastate you. Utterly. Completely.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and where the hell did all this talk come from saying he's too good or his arsenal is too big? In Prime, maybe, but have any of you actually played Super Metroid? He tail-jabs, shoots three fireballs, grabs and bites, and flutters from one side of the stage to the other. that's it.
uuumm yeah, those sound like a perfect grab and B attacks.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
thats a horrible perspective to take im sry...ridley is soo badass that he NEEDS to be played..by n00bs and pros alike.

If an idiot plays as ridley, his awfulness will turn into proskill under the guise of the best Dragon/cyborg/mecha/ lizard/ space pirate ever created

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
sir.. best response and signature i have seen in a very long time.. you win TWO internets...

and yes.. maybe you could watch begginers ridleys sucking.. but you could also watch masters Ridleys Pwning so i wanted Ridley in.. heck i'm wanting him since melee...

but well, if thee is smash 4, he will be in..

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There was something that always irked me a bit about Ridley, his size isn't really the issue more so then what he is:

I dunno, Ridley is not only very big, but his body propertions are very strange. Compared his head to his wings, body, and/or tail. Even with Bowser the character model still follows a simliar property as your average character model and hitboxes are fairly standard. But Ridley to me would be a very different character model with a very different setup due to the awkard shape.

I mean I would have liked to see him as a character, it's just I can't imagine how you'd model him playable without him either being two big of a character overall or making him look strange.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERm213GIuI

in case you completely forgot the opening to Melee, here it is, this is the answer to everyone's "too awkward" or "too big"

He's like a head taller than Samus in this yet he looks absolutley incredible. THAT'S what I wanted to play.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Oh please. I was just getting over this.

Pass the salt. my eyes are bleeding.

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
Ya I began thinking about how he would play in the game, but also the fact that developers need to make him higher than others.....In other words, he doesn't seem like he could ever be equal. (unless they totally nerfed him)

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
No equal? What the hell, Metroid's not THAT popular. We just wanted to play the **** guy.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
There was something that always irked me a bit about Ridley, his size isn't really the issue more so then what he is:

I dunno, Ridley is not only very big, but his body propertions are very strange. Compared his head to his wings, body, and/or tail. Even with Bowser the character model still follows a simliar property as your average character model and hitboxes are fairly standard. But Ridley to me would be a very different character model with a very different setup due to the awkard shape.

I mean I would have liked to see him as a character, it's just I can't imagine how you'd model him playable without him either being two big of a character overall or making him look strange.
ok. If Bungie was able to make elites playable (very oddly shaped due to spine development and leg structure) then Sakurai, supposed kign of Smash Games couldve given us ridley....i think hes saving ridley for the next developer. Cus there gonna need all the characters they can get when they realize they cant even hold a candle to sakurai.

besides, look at rob! hes playable and hsi body porportions are horrendous

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Look at the Melee Ridley! would have been perfect!

sigh...what's done is done.

Ridley for Smash 4!

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
Perfect boss. Bad-***. Yeah he is these things, that's why we wanted to PLAY him.

Smash Brothers is fan service, it's the chance to play characters we love when we couldn't anywhere else. This is why we wanted to play Ridley. We knew he'd have to be nerfed, we knew he had to be shrunk. We didn't care, we just wanted to play the **** guy...thing...whatever.

Look at his size in the opening video for Melee. That's not a baby by any means, but he's still the size of Samus and looking badass regardless. And as for too powerful? Look at Meta-knight, look at Charizard, they could have made Ridley work. They wanted him for Melee, his appeal lasted all these years, and with two years of development, I'm sorry, there's no excuse. They had to know how popular he was, hell I heard rumors they were attempting to put him in Melee.

So yeah, maybe we wouldn't be playing a giant dragon who would take up half the screen, but if any of the Ridley boards were still up, you'd see NONE of us wanted that anyways, we wanted a smaller, well-balanced character. It didn't matter if he wasn't as epic as he is in his games. Bowser sure as hell isn't, and Ganon? good god doesn't even has his sword.

So yeah, I'm not trying to complain, I will buy the game, and I will love it. It looks amazing with or without playable Ridley, and I will enjoy his boss battles. But saying he's better as a boss? If you want an amazing Ridley boss fight, play a Metroid game. All we've ever had was epic fights with him, just for once we wanted the chance to play for his team is all. Small or not.
Yes, this is very true and I can understand your point. But you also have to consider the perspective of the actual developers in this game. They obviously had something different in mind. It's either they were making a positive choice for us fans, or the good of the future franchise. Whatever it is, they would be the ones that have thrown around and understand these ideas better than us.

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is EPIC. Downsizing him and making him not able to own every character he touches WOULD have been a disgrace to his badassness.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
you all speak as if you would be diasspointed if he was Playable......

All of you have warped your minds so much over the fact thast he wasnt playable that you now have found another crazy way of saying "Look on the bright side"....

You all are the ones that deserve to play as ridley........

you should be ashamed.....

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I agree:

I approve. Ridley was my most wanted char. But now that i think of it, he would fit because of the size and badassnes he represents. He's really cool as a boss too. So i'm satisfied that they made him a good boss. And yeah, he's too valuable to be played by noobs =)

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
First of all just hear me out. I am a very big fan of metroid and also wanted Ridley in, but I see these people on this board still complaining about his unavailability as a playable character. Today I talked with a few people at school and also a few employees from some game retailers. They gave me a totally different outlook on why Ridley is a bad idea as a playable character.

1. Ridley is too good of a character- When people think of Ridley, many think BAD A**!!! Don't you think making him as a character would lessen his value?

2. Disgracing the character- In addition, if this character were in fact playable, you would very well being have this awesome, B.A. character being abused by some new guy. I dont wanna sound rude to any other characters (as this can and will happen to everyone) to me Ridley seems just too.....hmm how would i say this.....Valuable
Much of these same notes apply to Ganondorf, Samus, Snake and any other character in the game that is bad-***.

They all get beat up by Jigglypuff at times, which is ridiculous considering the source material. Samus and Ganondorf are both bad-a**es who really ought to be able to destroy many of the characters easily.

That's the price you pay for getting to play as them. I don't think making them playable lessens their value tho, because making them playable is almost the greatest recognition of value you can give, assuming the character isn't worthless or meant as a joke. The only reason I'd say that Ganondorf has been insulted is that his moveset doesn't draw from his games, at all. So it's more about how he was implemented than making him playable.

And to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the fight in the SSE. Of course, the intro was amazing, but Ridley fought like Master Hand, which isn't really that awesome. But maybe he fights differently on the higher difficulties? I was expecting lots of fireballs and such... Which reminds me... if you play on easy difficulty it's also a disgrace to Ridley how easily he will go down. He's not bad-a** then, right? Somehow that doesn't mean anything tho.

At any rate, IMO, they should have put him in with about the same proportions, as the ones he has in the Melee intro/Melee trophy. Give him a flying move, fire balls, something like the tail grind thing you see him use in the SSE and something else, and he would've been great. Hell, his FS could've been the same as Lucario's, since he has plasma breath. Make him twice as tall as his regular model (the one you play with him as) for his boss fight in the SSE, unlock him after beating Meta-Ridley or something. It would've worked fine.

Sakurai has no excuse based on Ridley being unworkable or unworthy (esp. since Metroid deserves more representation). If he left him out because of that, then he was dumb. If he left him out for some other reason, it's more acceptable.

I'm going to enjoy the game just fine. But I'm never going to say Sakurai made the right decision here.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And who cares about how crappy other people play with a character... really.

What I wanted was for me to be able to beat people up with Ridley. I don't care if other people suck, anymore than I should think it cheapens Samus or Fox or Marth, etc.

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
you all speak as if you would be diasspointed if he was Playable......

All of you have warped your minds so much over the fact thast he wasnt playable that you now have found another crazy way of saying "Look on the bright side"....

You all are the ones that deserve to play as ridley........

you should be ashamed.....
Well as "fans," some of us have arrived to the conclusion that we think our star character is not equal to the others in this game. Not to be selfish in anyway, if thats how you take it, but thats just purely an opinion, no one has to be right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom