• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley’s Partner in Crime, Kraid for Smash4 DLC(Move Over King K. Rool,I Need Me A Galactic Reptile)

MemoriesOfAChocobo

Smash Rookie
Ridley’s Partner in Crime, Kraid for Smash 4 DLC (Move Over King K. Rool, I Need Me A Galactic Reptile)

Introduction

All right, so we didn’t get Ridley but there is another re-occurring villain in Metroid, which really hasn’t seen much attention and that is Kraid.

As I haven’t played any Metroid games with Kraid, I think I will just copy and paste a short extract from his wikia page, from Wikitroid (as I want to avoid any spoilers).

Wikitroid said:
Kraid is a high-ranking Space Pirate and may even be a leader, as he is a prominent boss throughout the series. The Metroid Prime manual describes Ridley and Kraid as the Space Pirate army's "mainstays"; one could easily imagine this colossus as the muscle and backbone behind Pirate attacks or raids. As is the case with most Pirates stationed on Zebes, Kraid is not a native of the planet, and his origins, along with his homeworld, remain unknown. In all of his canon-appearances, Samus Aran is always required to defeat him, among others, as a means to infiltrate Zebes' Pirate HQ, Tourian.

List of Games

Metroid (1986)

Super Metroid (1994)

Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)

Metroid Prime (2002)

Metroid Zero Mission (2004)

Nintendo Land (2012)

Arguments and Counter-Arguments

He Is Too Big

Original size is irrelevant. It’s been said a million times, but characters get re-sized for Smash all the time (but their original size does play an influence). I mean if it was 100% accurate Olimar wouldn’t be able to be seen on the screen, however Olimar does make an appearance and is the smallest character in the roster. So the real question is whether the character looks descent when resized. And Ridley being lanky may look a bit odd if resized. That being said I think this video shows it is possible to resize Ridley successfully (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTje8qdSqX0). Anyway I’m going a bit off-topic here, but Kraid would be a lot easier to resize than Ridley. He would be one of the larger characters (most likely the largest), and he has fat but tall body shape. So how do I know he would be easier to resize when compared to Ridley. Well we all ready have examples of character with similar builds (that being DK, King Dedede and Bowser), therefore the development team have more experience designing these types of characters.

He Isn’t As Relevant as Ridley

I’m not going to deny this. But in saying that Kraid is a reoccurring villain and has made appearances in multiple Metroid games. And has even been a final boss (correct me if I’m wrong). And who else do we have that would be a possible rep for Metroid. Ridley is a stage hazard and Dark Samus is an assist trophy. Plus Anthony Higgs (probably the most requested Metroid character to be DLC), has only appeared in one game, that being Other M, therefore Kraid maybe the most relevant character to pick from the Metroid series. Furthermore Kraid has made an appearance in a Nintendo game recently, that being Nintendo Land. Showing he hasn’t been forgotten by Nintendo, and to add to that Nintendo see him as a significant Metroid character. With all this being said, he will never be as relevant as Ridley, but in my opinion he is the most likely candidate for a Metroid rep as DLC.

Moveset

MemoriesOfAChocobo Moveset

For Kraid’s smash attacks, he will mainly be swiping with his claws. Often using his left arm, basically when on the ground and you tilt the control stick with A, he swipes in that direction, same goes for when he is running in a direction. When charging his smash attacks, we see something (which I’m pretty sure he didn’t do in the game) and that is whipping his foe with his tail. He also has a similar move to Links down A in the air, except instead of a sword he uses his tail.

For his specials there are three main attacks to work with. All three of them are projectiles. Basically he fires boomerang like object from his fingers (his standard B), fires sharp objects (not really sure what they are) from his belly (his side B) and vomits out circular objects, that roll on the ground (down B). I am unsure what his up B could be.

His Final Smash is where he transforms into the powerful Meta-Kraid. Either that or something involving Space Pirates

His overall play-style would be a slow mover but powerful when attacking. With his specials mainly being projectiles (used when fighting long distance), and his smash attacks being used for close range. Thus an effective strategy would be to attack from a distance to avoid damage, and to get the enemies percentage up, followed by knocking them off the stage with one powerful smash attack.

Videos

Nintendo Land Fight

Super Smash Bros Melee Appearance

Super Metroid Boss Battle

Metroid Boss Battle

Metroid: Zero Mission Boss Battle

Music

Fan Art

Thanks to Captainicarus

Thanks to XCBDH

Thanks to Zeesiul

Thanks to Mappster65