• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Shield Grab?

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
ok, so i tried using the search function, and i got 20 pages of threads that had nothing to do with what i wanted to find, so i am just gonna ask.

A while back, i was brawling a friend of mine, and some how he a is able to shield grab me even tho i am behind him. i asked him how he did it, and he refuses to tell me.

Does anyone know how he did it?

he was using a GC controller, if that has any significance.

EDIT: ****, can someone delete this thread. im gonna ask this question in the sticky thread i didn't see b4.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
You can turn around right after you drop the shield and do it. Im gonna make the Zero helmet,

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
I think it was a Pivot Grab, maybe he just pulled it off too quickly to really notice.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
I think it was a Pivot Grab, maybe he just pulled it off too quickly to really notice.
Pivot Grab requires you to dash. In this case, i know he didn't dash because there was no dashing animation. just a shield and a grab.

You're friend could have just refused to say how he did it because he didn't know how himself. That's prolly the reason if you haven't seen him do it since. bluff
Don't think my friend doesn't know what he did, because he does it A LOT. It wasn't a one time thing. He did it several times.

Maybe the grab box extends slightly backward with the character that grabbed, who was he using?
He used many different characters. The only ones i remember him using tho are: Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, and Ice Climbers.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Pivot Grab requires you to dash. In this case, i know he didn't dash because there was no dashing animation. just a shield and a grab.

Don't think my friend doesn't know what he did, because he does it A LOT. It wasn't a one time thing. He did it several times.

He used many different characters. The only ones i remember him using tho are: Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, and Ice Climbers.
Ok, we gotta figure this out, it is personal!

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
Ok, let me explain this in extreme detail.

I am Ike, he is one of the characters i mentioned above.
He is standing there waiting for me.
The Direction he is facing is the left.
I am to his left.
He puts up his shield without moving. (He is still in the same spot, still facing me)
i jump to his right and hit him with a B--air so i don't get shield grabbed
he shield grabs me anyway but is now facing the right
i am confused as to how he turned around and grabbed me when he didn't pivot or anything.

Another situation is:
I am behind him
he is facing left.
i am already at his right.
He puts up his shiled while facing left still.
I jump and hit his shield with an F-air
He shield grabs me
he is facing the right, while holding me just like the situation above

Every time he does this, he is idle. he does not move before or after he puts up his shield

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
Ok forget it. It's probably just as fcukinSN said. He quickly turned around and grabbed me.

i went and practiced it myself. After you let go of the shield, you can surprisingly turn around and grab someone really quick and it looks like you shield grabbed them.

I guess i didn't attempt it enough. Before when i tried to do it, i ended up rolling instead of grabbing. i also thought it was done straight out of a shield, but actually u have to drop your shield and then turn around and grab. The turn around frame last only one frame i think, kinda makes it hard to see, especially during a match.

Top Bottom