• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Can't we just say that both Armada and Mango are great players and leave it at that ? Honestly, both of these players are incredibly skilled and to be completely fair it's almost impossible to compare dominance between different eras of play in my opinion. I might be completely wrong but the game is pretty different in 2013 than it was in 2009; further reason why you can't really compare Ken's 02-06ish dominance, or Mew2king's dominance in 07 either. Furthermore, I might prefer the play style or whatever of one over the other but that doesn't take away from the talent and mastery the other had.

Besides, isn't it more important to be looking to the future?

MaNg0

Smash Hero
I mean I guess we'll never know

he might have, no one ever took him 3-2 second set

the important thing is that he is undefeated, beating every one of his "challengers" decisively multiple times.

PP coulda done it IMO, but COULD isn't really what we use here.
hasnt played me or m2k in like 1-2 years

LMAOO

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
Solution: Find a mediocre Peach user, break his thumbs, and then have Dr. Andrews (Adrian Peterson's doctor) fix them. Boom! New best Peach in the world. XD

:phone:

Varist

Smash Lord
I mean I guess we'll never know

he might have, no one ever took him 3-2 second set

the important thing is that he is undefeated, beating every one of his "challengers" decisively multiple times.

PP coulda done it IMO, but COULD isn't really what we use here.
i know you're not calling his victories against Hbox at Apex 2012 and Mango at Genesis II 'decisive'

because if you were, I would need a gorillion sutures for my splitting sides

MaNg0

Smash Hero
because the bracket was made so silly

how do you put me kevin m2k on one side

and give hbox his 10th try at armada

so dumb

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to convince people you're dominant when it feels like you're only showing up once a year to prove it.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
^^^^^^

my point EXACTLY

k im done posting here

CYA GUYS

<3 <--- for my fans

everyone else can fall in a hole

poega

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to convince people you're dominant when it feels like you're only showing up once a year to prove it.
^^^^^^

my point EXACTLY

k im done posting here

CYA GUYS

<3 <--- for my fans

everyone else can fall in a hole
Qouted for future reference of the epitome of ignorance. And yes, I do realize I am most likely getting trolled in the *** right now.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I don't think it's too complicated. Armada has gone undefeated for an awful long time. He has defeated each of the top-ranked players he has played, including Mango, PP, and HBox.

PP has had several goes at him and lost. Mango has, too. They didn't win. M2K has only recently been a consideration for top player, and even here I don't think anyone would argue M2K over Armada. It seems to me that for someone to top this record they would have to be quite substantial. Winning a few tournaments last year and losing to PP and M2K multiple times does not qualify.

What's left to say?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
From what I understand (I'm not him, so I don't know), he's not retiring because he thinks he's too dominant. He's just burnt out and doesn't want to put himself at that high standard anymore. Considering who he is, I think if he'd lost Apex 2013, he would've still quit.

Bones0

Smash Legend
How can Mike Haggers blatant racism not go unpunished? Especially after all this time.

If all this flop garbage doesn't stop one way or another I guess I can say EUROTRASH and other negative bull **** in every post. It's okay, It's not offensive. I'm just going to in every post I make but a complete douchebag and tell everyone in Europe how much I hate them for no reason.
I'm trying to popularize the term "Europeon". Not as blunt as Flopmerican, obviously, but someone has to maintain some class on these forums.

:troll:

tournaments are a bad measure of skill IMO

we should just have the TO play an hour of friendlies with each player and give $3000 to whoever he thinks is the best
This would be awesome, but only if Mango is the TO.

I wish Apex 2013 had done a RR for top 8 like at FC. Most people just like it because it means more vids, but the way matchups work in this game really makes it a necessity. Idc how much you love Armada or believe he was the best, the fact that he avoided Mango and M2K because of how a bracket works is pretty dumb. I'm surprised more people weren't upset that M2K double eliminated Mango, and got double eliminated by PP, who then of course got double eliminated by Armada. Clearly the bracket got a little screwy towards the end. Idk what specific upsets caused it, but it's just unfortunate that we missed out on so many player matchups amongst the top 5, and going even further to include players like Hax, who I think people may have been underestimating were he to face Armada head to head. I was actually intimidated when heard Hax say on day 3 something like, "I really hope I play Armada next." lol He was in kill mode all weekend.

Also, if you think Armada would have retired if he lost, you're ********. lol I'm not saying he retired solely to preserve his record or anything, but it's just impossible for me to imagine Armada accepting that someone is better than him and essentially not fighting back anymore (which is why I love him as a competitor ;D).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, he said so himself that he decided it was his last tournament BEFORE Apex. But yeah, you obviously know better than him that he wouldn't retire just because he lost.

It's completely possible to just not have the drive to want to beat someone, either.

Him losing doesn't say anything about anyone being better than him, so much as it proves that people can still beat him.

strawhats

Smash Master
I don't think it's too complicated. Armada has gone undefeated for an awful long time. He has defeated each of the top-ranked players he has played, including Mango, PP, and HBox.

PP has had several goes at him and lost. Mango has, too. They didn't win. M2K has only recently been a consideration for top player, and even here I don't think anyone would argue M2K over Armada. It seems to me that for someone to top this record they would have to be quite substantial. Winning a few tournaments last year and losing to PP and M2K multiple times does not qualify.

What's left to say?
Wait...wut? So what was m2k considered for the last 5-6 years of his melee career, even after his era of dominance was over?

<3 Renth

lol Bones "Europeons" (Much love to Amsah/Ice/Zgetto/Faab/Strawhat Dahean/Armada/Over/Adam/Remen. You guys are cool in my book)

Mahone

Smash Champion
i thought it was pretty clear

m2k has always been THAT DUDE

5th best BUT, never beating anyone above him, never losing to anyone below him

but recently he beat mango twice for the first time ever, and has started having really close sets with pp (remember there was a short time where pp was consistently 3-0ing him)

Cyan_

Smash Lord
i wish we got another m2k vs armada set

they were always amazing

Armada

Smash Lord
Cassio: From what I heard Mango NEVER said anything about Pound 4 being the last tournament for him. Im sure I would know about it if that's the case. Cause then every smasher from Sweden would have mention it tons of time to make sure I was aware of it + I should have seen/readed it by myself too (was reading the boards from time to time even if I wasn't a member).

So no I don't think that actually happend. And I have already explained WHY I never told anyone.

Mango: 1 and 4 player on the same side is the RIGHT way to seed a bracket. Just because I have been the only really good player from Sweden for a long time it means I have had HARDER brackets tons of times because people don't wanna have "the two best from America at the same side".

And how it is my fault you could not reach GF at either Apex?
Do you really expect me to show up in America for 5 national a year?
You are crazy man :p

I showed up pretty often for those events during severall of years and in the later part I won them all. Well if you/your fanboys are still convinced you don't care you guys can live in your own world when you deny facts =)

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
i thought it was pretty clear

m2k has always been THAT DUDE

5th best BUT, never beating anyone above him, never losing to anyone below him

but recently he beat mango twice for the first time ever, and has started having really close sets with pp (remember there was a short time where pp was consistently 3-0ing him)
No joke M2K makes a strong case for being 4th / better than Hbox now (well I guess 3rd with Armada retired but you know what I mean)). At the last two tournaments they've both been at that I'm aware of (Zenith and Apex 2013), M2K has outplaced HBox and beaten people that HBox lost to (Zenith--beat Chu Dat and took a set off PP, the two people HBox lost to; Apex--double eliminated Mango, one of the people HBox lost to, and never got a chance to try his hand at Armada).

Oh, I suppose Impulse came in between those didn't it. :/ Still, M2K has looked way more solid in 2012 / early 2013 than he did in 2011, seems less vulnerable to players considered lower-caliber than him (that don't play ICs at least), and seems like a viable contender to win a major for the first time in a good long while.

EDIT: Oh and I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, so Armada, you're a hell of a player and it won't be the same without you.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Ok I'm gonna be completely honest here

my melee motivation right now, for the entire future, is based on this Evo thing

I think this is our best shot at being seriously recognized and growing MASSIVELY as a community

if this fails we're kind of ****ed in terms of growing

if it succeeds we're SET for like forever almost (100k people watching the stream will see how good melee is, just like at Evo East 2007)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not sure what to expect in terms of growth from people watching the stream. Part of me things hundreds of people will dust off their cubes and give it another go, and a solid chunk of them will be serious about it. The other part of me thinks only people already in the community will watch the stream when Melee is on, and the few people that watch will do so for novelty, not because they actually plan on playing Melee.

I think Melee's growth will be fine even if we don't get into Evo though. We have a lot of stuff coming together that make it promising, such as our increased streaming consistency, a new up and coming How To Play tutorial, and the potential for solid online play that isn't super complicated to set up.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
At some point the rising prices of new controllers, melee, and cubes is going to catch up with us. Finding new controllers continues to become more difficult.

We will grow some, sure. And it is a great opportunity. But I'd rather have low expectations and be pleased when they are exceeded, than have high and be disappointed.

armada don't sweat the community. haters gon hate. if you don't want to pull a mango and play just for fun it's your decision.

but that's why i'm part of #mangonation

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I was actually not kidding. I kind felt that way after armada announced his retirement (i wanted to beat him, he's the final boss, and he's my amazing teammate, and now all 3 of those are vanished) but I also strongly feel Evo would make or break our future in terms of growth (due to their 100k person streams for far more people to see what our game is like). It's almost impossible to be motivated otherwise, cuz even if i won a big event it would just be "armada would have won anyway" and i can't believe the game would get bigger than it is right now with those 2 things both happening. So I'm fighting really hard to make sure Melee makes it into Evo. It's all I've been doing these past 3 days so I can save this game/community/future.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I wonder what the community could have done for the actual community with all those 10s of thousands. Let's not think about that too much. :awesome:

It goes to Cancer research anyway, so it's all good.

Except we're all broke now too, lol. No more job for you M2K. :awesome:

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Community was doing fine and growing before EVO was even thought of as a possibility.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I was actually not kidding. I kind felt that way after armada announced his retirement (i wanted to beat him, he's the final boss, and he's my amazing teammate, and now all 3 of those are vanished) but I also strongly feel Evo would make or break our future in terms of growth (due to their 100k person streams for far more people to see what our game is like). It's almost impossible to be motivated otherwise, cuz even if i won a big event it would just be "armada would have won anyway" and i can't believe the game would get bigger than it is right now with those 2 things both happening. So I'm fighting really hard to make sure Melee makes it into Evo. It's all I've been doing these past 3 days so I can save this game/community/future.
I actually guessed this. You really seemed serious about retiring from melee shortly before Apex and when Armada retired I thought you'd be gone from the melee scene within a year. And then Evo hype struck and everything changed. If you win a big event and people besides Mikehagger say Armada would have won, than F them. If it's Mike he's just a **** troll. Now we just need to wrap this up so you can tear through EVO and I can cheer for your Marf and Sheik some more.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Armada is scapegoating so no one can take anything away from him when Mango comes to Europe for SR.

this is literally the wussiest thing he could've done
"i made it through this major tourney without fighting mango! Time to fly home to Europe and claim retirement so he can't chase me across the atlantic!"

loool

I think this picture I found is adapted to the situation.

Armada

Smash Lord
At some point the rising prices of new controllers, melee, and cubes is going to catch up with us. Finding new controllers continues to become more difficult.

We will grow some, sure. And it is a great opportunity. But I'd rather have low expectations and be pleased when they are exceeded, than have high and be disappointed.

armada don't sweat the community. haters gon hate. if you don't want to pull a mango and play just for fun it's your decision.

but that's why i'm part of #mangonation
What are you even talking about?
I will still be around in the community/hold tournaments. It's not like I never will play melee again or something like that. So yeah at tournaments I will play friendlis (probably only secondaries/random chars JUST FOR FUN) but for sure way less then I have been playing for the past 8 years.

But that dosen't mean I will enter a tournament being hangover and be playing Luigi or something.

Engo

Smash Ace
Armada's Luigi, Mango's Mario, Hungrybox's Ness. All with alternate aliases and all hungover.

Would be very silly but also would probably be the highest level of play we'll ever see from these characters.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
@Bones: Europoor is the term you're looking for if you want to insult Europeans. Although I only laugh when flopmericans try to act like they're better.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Cassio: From what I heard Mango NEVER said anything about Pound 4 being the last tournament for him. Im sure I would know about it if that's the case. Cause then every smasher from Sweden would have mention it tons of time to make sure I was aware of it + I should have seen/readed it by myself too (was reading the boards from time to time even if I wasn't a member).

So no I don't think that actually happend. And I have already explained WHY I never told anyone.

Mango: 1 and 4 player on the same side is the RIGHT way to seed a bracket. Just because I have been the only really good player from Sweden for a long time it means I have had HARDER brackets tons of times because people don't wanna have "the two best from America at the same side".

And how it is my fault you could not reach GF at either Apex?
Do you really expect me to show up in America for 5 national a year?
You are crazy man :p

I showed up pretty often for those events during severall of years and in the later part I won them all. Well if you/your fanboys are still convinced you don't care you guys can live in your own world when you deny facts =)
Since you knew you were retiring don't you believe it would have been only fitting to have a highstakes money match with Mango and Mew2king while you were at Apex?

alcheato

Smash Ace
Man, I'm pretty sad that Armada is retiring. I just got back into the game this year, and seeing how far Armada developed his character made me want to keep playing mine.

Still, if he wants to retire on top because he doesn't feel like he has any Smash goals left, that's his prerogative as the best player.

I can't logically understand how anyone can doubt that he's been the best player when he has generally dominated the other top players and he hasn't lost a single tournament in like 2 years. Sometimes the Smash community can be so dumb.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Armada is scapegoating so no one can take anything away from him when Mango comes to Europe for SR.

this is literally the wussiest thing he could've done
"i made it through this major tourney without fighting mango! Time to fly home to Europe and claim retirement so he can't chase me across the atlantic!"

loool
he actually believes this

Top Bottom