• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Restricting Jigglypuff? (Serious topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

distraction

Smash Cadet
this is not supposed to be troll topic!

i may not be the most knowledgeble player out there but as we can all see from the evolvement of the metagame within the last years jiggs is definately heading the wrong way.

i have to take hungrybox as an example here. seeing how he won on apex by looking at the winners semis/finals and grand finals made me think about jiggs metagame again. it was a sad testimonial to see M2K getting 3-0 altough he was playing an almost flawless fox with astonishing speed and he was doing the matchup so well and still getting destroyed. why? is m2k really that much inferior to hbox? i honestly dont think so.
getting trough jiggs requires so much concentration and every mistake can be punished to end up losing a stock. nothing too new i guess, but here the example from the winners finals: the last game, last stock, m2k was almost in the middle. hbox had m2k in a grab at relatively low percents. two of the DI options would have killed m2k. no DI would be a set up for a rest, and the DI backwards that should normally be a rest-escaper was a set up for 3 bairs that got him offstage and edgueguarded him. DIing out of jiggs uthrow should never be a mistake and each direction is normally the same. but the mistake was to DI to the `wrong` direction since he got almost offstage after the throw and after the first bair he was. and thats just hilarious in my opinion.

and also the top jiggs players live relatively long. even against fox its not too unusal to get hit from the usmash at around 100% and thats where also other chars would get killed. so i would say if jiggs is played the right way she doesnt live so much shorter then other charakters.

but regardless. i surely consider hungrybox to be a top professional but i dont think hes really outplaying his opponents in terms of adaption and mindgames (+ techskill) rather then abusing the hell out of jiggs gayness mixed with the right matchup play.
you can see that when kage was not too far away from sending hbox into losers. its a bad matchup for jiggs because she cannot randomly throw in some bairs or rests since ganon got some widely ranged airs that can punish those approaches pretty well. hbox seemed to be a bit in trouble since he couldnt abuse his normally very effective gameplay. at least he brought it back solidely. he sure is an amazing player. but also jumping on the backside of armadas shield and spamming utilts was just ridiculous. hoping one would hit and set up for a rest. why not spamming certain moves if they cannot be punished safely? same with the 500 bairs just thrown into the empty air. and to my mind thats just a clever gay spam instead of being truly superior...

forgive me that my main argument was based on a sole player but it was to make the following point more understandable. getting right on the dot: like wobbling is banned, like zeldas down b in low tier is banned, i would also consider banning jiggs rest. altough this isnt the main problem about jiggs it still would restrict her that much that shes not able to pull off gay and undeserved kills only because one single move was DIed incorrectly and that at low percents. this would remove a part of her comeback-game but she would still be a very good and playable charakter.

what do you think?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
lol jigs is fine. she doesnt need to be restricted.

besides if she is hbox will be a awful player since he can only play puff.

yea i said it

Jonas

Smash Champion
Mango defeated Hbox with Fox and even Mario, so there's proof it can be done.

Besides, it's not unusual for good players to win large tournaments with good characters >_>

S l o X

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff is the Marth of 2010.

Her 'metagame' is just a step above everyone elses, it will change in due time.

D

Deleted member

More time needs to pass before we declare jiggs as broken. I'm sure there were tons of people back in the day saying that Sheik was broken, Fox was broken, or Marth was broken.

Still, the fact that the 2 players who are pretty much 1 and 2 at melee main puff, and would not be #1 if not for puff DOES suggest that jiggs might be a bit broken with the current metagame (although Mango would definitely make top 3 with his falco).

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I think there was only 1 puff in top 16 at Apex and only 2 at Pound 4. Since Genesis there hasn't been a single tournament where more than 2 puffs have done extremely well. It may get to the point where Jigs deserves to be banned but we haven't reached there yet.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
More time needs to pass before we declare jiggs as broken. I'm sure there were tons of people back in the day saying that Sheik was broken, Fox was broken, or Marth was broken.

Still, the fact that the 2 players who are pretty much 1 and 2 at melee main puff, and would not be #1 if not for puff DOES suggest that jiggs might be a bit broken with the current metagame (although Mango would definitely make top 3 with his falco).
Mango apparently beat Hbox in money matches afterwards Fox vs Jiggs. Mango would still be #1 imo with him using the rest of the cast that he likes.

Hbox is just a good player, just like Wobbles is a good player. The amount of people booing Wobbles for Wobbling was lol considering the fact that most of the time he was behind all of his important matches.

But I agree with the rest of your post.

D

Deleted member

Mango apparently beat Hbox in money matches afterwards Fox vs Jiggs. Mango would still be #1 imo with him using the rest of the cast that he likes.

Hbox is just a good player, just like Wobbles is a good player. The amount of people booing Wobbles for Wobbling was lol considering the fact that most of the time he was behind all of his important matches.

But I agree with the rest of your post.
I think Armada can beat all of Mango's characters except for puff, I could be wrong though.

But yeah, Hbox is definitely an amazing player, it's just unfortunate that his playstyle is not fun to watch, so everybody wants it banned.

Wobbles is amazing though, wobbling or no. I personally found it so exciting whenever he got a grab (because I knew it was a wobble). Especially when watching, the constant tension of knowing that the other player REALLY doesn't want to get grabbed makes it oh so exciting.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Other characters can beat puff the problem is to play at the level required to do so vs jiggs is unreasonable to ask of some one outside of well.... mango. He is the only one with consistent perfect execution. Jiggs can do what other characters need to do to be really safe with 10x easier tactics and those tactics require much easier tech skill that statistically has much less of a chance of you messing up. That's what makes her appear "broken". Either way its not grounds for ban its just gay and we have to deal with it.

Pengie

Smash Lord
LOL, Jiggs isn't broken, Hungrybox is just that good. Why won't anyone accept it? It's not even that people don't know how to fight against Puff; it's more about people not knowing how to play against Hungrybox. To date the only players that I have seen give Hungrybox a run for his money are Mango, ColBol, and Dr. PP. My theory as to why is because they know how to play against Hungrybox as a player. They manage to not fall into the trap of giving Hungry the room he wants on stage and they all do a great job of pressuring him and not letting him get stage control.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Actually I'm Colbol hasn't given Hungrybox a chllenge in almost a year if I remember correctly. In fact the last time they played it was a **** 3-0 for Colbol.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I dont understand why everyone is so afraid of a dominant Jiggs character.

Every fighter has a "best character in the game", this character normally wins all tournies at all levels of play. WHY ARE YOU ALL SO SHOCKED BY THIS?

I mean christ, we went through 4 years of complete and utter Marth domination, now jiggs meta has evolved and she is the best, all this whining is sickening.

Take solace in the fact that jiggs isnt really good at any but the highest level. locals/regionals are almost jigglypuff free (unless u live in FL)

Pengie

Smash Lord
Ehh, I'm fully willing to acknowledge the fact that Colin is the most random player I've ever seen as far as consistency goes; sometimes he goes really close and some times he gets a train run. This is probably made worse by the fact that Florida never puts out many videos so no one really gets to see much of how their matches end up.

Take solace in the fact that jiggs isnt really good at any but the highest level. locals/regionals are almost jigglypuff free (unless u live in FL)
Actaully, aside from Hungry we only have like, one other noteworthy Jiggs main. So Jiggs doesn't even have any representation past Hungry down here :laugh:.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
People are hilarious. Following MLG 2006...

"Huge mix in the rosters...blasted space animals...great job though on everyones part!"

"No much variety any longer in the smash community"

"congrats to PC seems people only use the space animals anymore.....Go HugS keep owning with Samus!"

Keep in mind that only 2 players in the top 8 used space animals exclusively at this time. Sound familiar? Everything goes in cycles.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I'm talking about MLG 2006, making the point that people were doing the same thing and blowing everything out of proportion for spacies because they were winning, despite the fact that plenty of other characters were represented in the top 8.

There are people that overreact and cry "BAN" in every era. The key is not to listen to them.

GOD!

Smash Ace
What's the point in discussion when both sides attack a highly exaggerated and stupid view of the other side?

I would support a ban just cause it'd make melee more fun. Not for any other reason though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Apex results

1. Puff
2. Peach
3. Marth/Fox/some Sheik
4. Falco
5. ****ing Pikachu
5. Ice Climbers
7. Falco
7. Fox

I seriously don't see the problem here.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes. We still have more room to expand the metagame.
I know that we will advance past this.
I also know we'll get past the bair camping.
If the spacies aren't cutting it, maybe it's time to try someone else like a Prince with a tiara(what happend to them?), or one of the mid tiers. This Jiggs dominance may be a side effect that certain characters are too underrepresented or missing.

Brood should be a big inspiration to us all and even though it's another game, HE STILL BEAT METAKNIGHT despite the not so quickly evolving metagame.

Whoa. a Pikachu. Bravo AXE.

Yeah, this is the Jigglypuff era.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
People are hilarious. Following MLG 2006...

"Huge mix in the rosters...blasted space animals...great job though on everyones part!"

"No much variety any longer in the smash community"

"congrats to PC seems people only use the space animals anymore.....Go HugS keep owning with Samus!"

Keep in mind that only 2 players in the top 8 used space animals exclusively at this time. Sound familiar? Everything goes in cycles.
I ****ing love you

Hayama

Smash Cadet
Yoshi, pikachu and zelda all do well vs jiggs.....just no one uses them in tourney.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yoshi? Yoshi?
Give me some of what you're smoking.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What's the point in discussion when both sides attack a highly exaggerated and stupid view of the other side?

I would support a ban just cause it'd make melee more fun. Not for any other reason though.
you cant ban something on the basis that its not fun.....

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
at SMYM, Vinodh the jiggs main, who beat Matt R. at his previous tournament, got taken out by Bloshi's Yoshi and 4%'s Doc. lol

Zelda doesn't do good right now vs jiggs but I dont think the matchup has been nearly explored enough, either.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
clearly has nothing to do with the fact that Jigglypuff players have no Yoshi practice, haha.

GOD!

Smash Ace
If enough people think that you can and want to, then yeah you sure can.

It's ******** to say that jiggs is broken imo cause there's no way to prove it or even get any evidence, especially given tournament placements.

I just could care less about people who want to make academic arguments about whether she is bannable or not.

I just don't want to be in a tourney and run up against some campy jiggs that wants to time me out. I LOVE fighting jiggs. I LOVE it, but it would make melee more fun. So why not?

D

Deleted member

This may not be the right place to say this, but I'm LOVING the character diversity at the top of Apex. No repeat characters within the top 5, with 8 characters listed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we pretty much banned items on the basis that they created an environment that we generally didn't like.
same thing with certain stages.

LLDL

Smash Hero
WTF? How very odd this topic comes up after Hungrybox wins apex. Seriously Jiggs is NOT hard to fight against, HBOX and mango are just great players. I saw them lose a fair amount of matches, and that in itself proves they are not invincible. You can avoid the rest and back airs, it is not like wobbling. There are not that many jigglypuff players for that matter, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Yeah, Puff isn't... broken right now, just really hard to fight against because she has about 10x more room for error than the other characters LOOL, is really hard to kill, and kills very easily. I'm glad not too many people play Puff / are HBox good with her because I'd probably just quit until someone figures it out, cause I've tried and tried again and there's no clear solution except be as good as good as Mango or camp the **** out of her LOL.

Ahhhh Melee.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
OP Noobin out maadd hard.

people who think jiggs should be banned are on the noob level of people who think melee pros play in lightning mode.

quit noobin so hard its embarrassing.

MintChip

Smash Cadet
My friend was playing HBox in the last WATO, and HBox was playing Shiek. Mostly to make a point, he chain grabbed him up to over 300%. The whole time he was talking about how it's ridiculous to ban Puff. paraphrasing him, every character is broken if you just take advantage of them. Banning a character is just ridiculous.

-Ran

Smash Master
One person demonstrating dominance of a character does not mean the character is broken. Now, fast forward six months and if top one hundred is composed of 40% Jiggly, and then you might have an issue.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
pakman told me a theory about yoshi having a good jiggs matchup

dj through the bair and nair her

the problem is that the odds of a yoshi making it far enough in the tournament to fight hbox in a round that would knock him out are pretty slim

edit: chaingrabbing to over 300% with sheik is incorrect and your friend could have gotten out if he dropped his controller

D

Deleted member

pakman told me a theory about yoshi having a good jiggs matchup

dj through the bair and nair her

the problem is that the odds of a yoshi making it far enough in the tournament to fight hbox in a round that would knock him out are pretty slim
Enter puu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom