• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reseting Yoshis Launch Momentum(NEW METHOD!)

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Ever have that game were your at a semi dangerous percent and you get launched near the blast zone but the momentum causes your 2nd jump or any other move to carry on the momentum to the blast zone?

Well Yoshi and other characters can cancel the momentum. Don't know if anyones posted about this but Yoshi's Side B cancels moment so you can avoid having momentum carry you into the blast zone. It makes you last a lot longer.

NEW METHOD THAT WORKS!

Side B away from the stage. Once the animation appears make sure you press torwards the stage and there you go.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
He could do this in Brawl too but now that you mention this, since he doesn't go into helpless after egg roll anymore this may be a lot more effective in this game.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
He could do this in Brawl too but now that you mention this, since he doesn't go into helpless after egg roll anymore this may be a lot more effective in this game.
It is more effective. I find myself living 20% more. I didnt discovor this most likely. Just helping my fellow Yoshi bros.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
It is more effective. I find myself living 20% more. I didnt discovor this most likely. Just helping my fellow Yoshi bros.
Thanks for informing me on this one. Time to test this one out too

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Its super good with DI. Yesterday I lasted a ZSS up B at 100%

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm pretty sure this was taken out, otherwise we would've seen Game n watch doing this still. And he benefited more from momentum canceling than Yoshi did in Brawl.

Unless I'm wrong and you have proof that it's still in then nvm

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Wait they removed it? I coulda sworn it worked yesterday. The momentum canceled on frame 1. Ill test it out now

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
I don't think this works, or at least not anymore. Lately whenever I try it as I'm about to touch the blast zone, I see Yoshi get in the egg, but he still ends up dying.

Maybe it just cancels Yoshi's own momentum, but not launch momentum from an opponent's attack?

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
im still not in the habit of getting it out, i could try it, im still debating wether or not i should keep c stick on attack or smash, it seems to me that he gets stronger move ment options in the air if kept on smash, idk if its just me but i noticed it when i changed it back to smash last night, and that extra movement proves to be more useful then having c on attack

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Found that out yesterday. It was amazing. Now ill try waveboucing up b insted. They removed it in 1.0.8

Also ive been looking for you for awhile muddkips. You so high on the ladder lol

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Okay guys this is great. I found a alt for this glitch. It is either new or its just a alt. Works the exact same. What you do is you do a side B facing away from the stage and then once it apears you press towards the stage. This is great!

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
does that work if you set c stick to special?

i.e. if you got blown to the left and tried to DI to the right, while also holding the c stick to the left, would it work?

because otherwise i dont think this would have a ton of use, we'd have to know the exact moment we could use the move or else we'd be DIing in the wrong direction, even if just for a moment.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I couldn't get the egg to come out in testing. :< What I did find out is horizontal DI (vectoring thing or w/e) unlike traditional DI is it's still effected after hitlag ends. Makes this kinds risky imo.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
If it fully stops absolutely all momentum, both launch and any other momentum, then this is still VERY useful.

It won't help survive longer by stopping momentum at the blast zone, but it WILL help by stopping Yoshi earlier for everything else. That kind of thing can be the difference between being able to use our super armour to land on the stage with a safe egglay or dair vs being forced into grabbing the ledge. I've found grabbing the ledge as Yoshi can often be a death sentence, anything that helps me never have to grab that thing is a useful tool to have.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well the thing about this is. When theres big black red thunder momentum changed dont happen and you can jump away. But Ive noticed this happens a lot when Yoshi is hit by a powerfull attack that is at least from half the stage to the blastzone.

BTW this tech also fully restores Yoshis jump. And I have tested this in perfect spacing and measurements.
I couldn't get the egg to come out in testing. :< What I did find out is horizontal DI (vectoring thing or w/e) unlike traditional DI is it's still effected after hitlag ends. Makes this kinds risky imo.
Your suppose to do it after you almost reach the blast zone.
If it fully stops absolutely all momentum, both launch and any other momentum, then this is still VERY useful.

It won't help survive longer by stopping momentum at the blast zone, but it WILL help by stopping Yoshi earlier for everything else. That kind of thing can be the difference between being able to use our super armour to land on the stage with a safe egglay or dair vs being forced into grabbing the ledge. I've found grabbing the ledge as Yoshi can often be a death sentence, anything that helps me never have to grab that thing is a useful tool to have.
Yoshi bomb under ledge. Its really amazing in those types of situations.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Really? Did you go into egg then die? That means you did it wrong. If it doesn't go into egg at all then it wasn't useful for that situation.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Im pretty sure everyone here has been at that moment when they air dodge, jump or even do another attack and then they suddenly die. This prevents that. It normally happens when you get hit by a strong move but survive the hitstun.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I think this needs video as people are struggling to understand. Even if it's bad camera footage, next time you get one please save the replay.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Check the OP. Video is right there. Everything was 100% measured perfect and everything.

Frown

poekmon
I played around with this in Training and got it to work, but it turned out that just holding the control stick towards the stage helped me survive even longer. Are you sure this is better than just regular DI?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I played around with this in Training and got it to work, but it turned out that just holding the control stick towards the stage helped me survive even longer. Are you sure this is better than just regular DI?
You can mix it with DI. Thats what I do.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
@ YoHeKing YoHeKing lets make a
video today when im streaming, we can use the mumble server, we also have to make that wonky delfino plaza down b glitch thing as well.
"Down b as the slanted platforms are appearing / or was it disapearing idk, itll make u slide accross the surface of delfino as if u were on a slope" did it by accident the other day and was wonky as hell, i want to know how to do this egg glitch as well as the foward crawl outa short hop backward slide

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
@ YoHeKing YoHeKing let make a
video today when im streaming, we can use the mumble server, we also have to make that wonky delfino plaza down b glitch thing as well.
I can't till the weekend. What Is the video about? This or somthing else? Im still trying to find out the inputs for the forward crawl momentum reverse and hitstun cancel sheild on edges on platforms. I think I have some footage of me somehow doing it on BF and lylat.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
I can't till the weekend. What Is the video about? This or somthing else? Im still trying to find out the inputs for the forward crawl momentum reverse and hitstun cancel sheild on edges on platforms. I think I have some footage of me somehow doing it on BF and lylat.
use the youtube upload feature u should be able to upload if the video is 3 mins or less actually

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
use the youtube upload feature u shuld be able to upload if the video is 3 mins or less actually
Im running off my phones wifi. I might have found more uses to this tech (the one in the op). Along with a up B version that seems to cancel platform lands into a weird float glitch. I did it on accedent with Yoshis custom Up B so I haven't tried it yet with regular.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632
Im running off my phones wifi. I might have found more uses to this tech (the one in the op). Along with a up B version that seems to cancel platform lands into a weird float glitch. I did it on accedent with Yoshis custom Up B so I haven't tried it yet with regular.
THAT 117 THOUGH! i didnt know there was a video, represent the 117 squad. woop woop.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yeah reminder there is a video in the OP. Check it out everyone. Everything was so percise and legit.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Urrh. I knew there was something else I meant to get round to testing today.

I've been busy working on muscle memory for option select shielding. I'll get around to doing my own independent testing on this tomorrow to weigh in on whether it works or not.

As a general thing though, this shouldn't be too hard to implement into gameplay even with having to press it away from stage momentarily. Getting the timing down for that will come with practice and experience.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379

I've been busy working on muscle memory for option select shielding. I'll get around to doing my own independent testing on this tomorrow to weigh in on whether it works or not.

As a general thing though, this shouldn't be too hard to implement into gameplay even with having to press it away from stage momentarily. Getting the timing down for that will come with practice and experience.
More testing would be cool. I wouldn't be sad If it was debunked or anything. But im highly sure it works but maybe not in pure horizontal hits. I havn't tested it with alot of DI but no DI works and DI seems to work too.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
This works.

Seems worthwhile.

Definitely only works when you input in the same direction as your launch vs against your launch.

noft

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
1345-3004-6632

what do u mean option select shielding, like fast falling into shield, dash into shield, and oos options?

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
what do u mean option select shielding, like fast falling into shield, dash into shield, and oos options?
You're in luck as TourneyLocator uploaded a guide to it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGQpPg5PQc

This is the original Vine I learned it from: https://vine.co/v/eaiBEtYWiq6

To put it simply: It's a technique that allows you to buffer a move out of shield. The move will ONLY occur if you get a perfect shield though, it will cancel the shield on frame 4.

This allows you to act out of shield (on perfect shield) on frame 4 instead of frame 12 which is where you act without buffering.

If you do not get the perfect shield and only get a normal shield, the move does not occur because of the locked in shield frames 4-11.

This is a hugely necessary tech to learn to play at competitive levels in the future, the meta is going to move towards everyone using it all the time. Gaining a 6 frame advantage is a big deal.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Thiorks.

Seems worthwhile.

Definitely only works when you input in the same direction as your launch vs against your launch.
Its really cool. Its not a tech you need everyday but It would save many regrets of dieing after hit eventhough you just jumped or did a airdodge.

Top Bottom