• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remembering Brawl

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
As we enter E3 week it seems appropriate to remember the Super Smash Brothers Brawl launch and the different events surrounding the series. Super Smash Brothers Brawl has been with the community for six years and has seen its ups and downs. Here are some of the biggest moments that the series saw in that time.

The Delayed Launch
Brawl was first announced at E3 in 2005 and went into development soon after. At E3 in 2007, Nintendo slated Brawl’s release date for December 3rd, 2007 – two and a half full years after first announcing the game. This release date was eventually pushed back and the game came out January 31st, 2008 in Japan and March 9th, 2008 in the United States.

Nintendo Holds Launch Tournaments
Much has been made of Nintendo’s new interest in Smash tournaments and some are hoping for the folks in Redmond, Washington to get into the competitive gaming scene. What many have forgotten was that Nintendo partnered for not one, but two Brawl launch tournaments in 2008.

KoreanDJ won a Crystal Wii at Best Buy

Nintendo first partnered with Best Buy for a launch event, with four locations featuring 1v1 tournaments and a cap of 256 players. The winner of each location played in New York in a finals – the grand prize was a $5,000 crystal Wii. KoreanDJ won.

How Long did you Wait for Brawl?

Shortly after the Best Buy announcement, Nintendo released information on “GameStop Midnight Launch” tournaments. Held at nearly every GameStop across North America, these events progressed winners over the next several months and in multiple stages. The eventual champion, Lee Martin, took home $5,000.

Lee Martin Took Home the Ultimate Prize!

Controversy - Brawl not Melee - A Community Divided
Most in the community were ready to jump ship to Brawl after Melee - the assumption was a repeat of the most beautiful game ever created. Unfortunately, within the first 3 months many realized that Brawl would never be Melee, and within a year, many Melee players either quit Brawl, began developing Brawl mods like Brawl+, Brawl-, Balanced Brawl, or Project M, or went back to Melee. Brawl suffered from a general "slowness", lack of hitstun, tripping, and removal of key tactics that gave players the feeling of "control" like Wavedashing and L-canceling.

After Brawl released Melee suffered a huge drop in attendance as many justified sticking with the new game because that was where the money, focus, and sponsors would be. The temptation is very real again and this pattern is already repeating itself - Chris "Wife" Fabiszak recently wrote an article stressing abandoning Melee in order to focus on Smash Wii U - the article was eventually removed and Chris explained his position a bit further.

EVO 2008 Uses Brawl - Forces Items ON
Many forget that EVO actually ran Brawl in 2008. However, they ran the game with items turned on because they believed that is how the game should be played. Since the actual community of players that travel to play the game didn't support items, turnout was lackluster (just over 100 players) and the tournament was received poorly. Had EVO held community standard rules it is likely the event would have been very well attended (300 or more players, similar to Genesis, Apex, etc.). The lack of a huge turnout for EVO is often seen as a reason Brawl wasn't popular, yet the huge attendance at other tournaments in the first year directly contradicts this. Brawl at EVO was poor because the tournament ran with non-standard rules - the same fate would meet any game, such as Melee, if the rules aren't a reflection of the people that actually travel and are interested in tournaments. Curious, how things may have been different for Brawl, had the community rules been used. Also curious - will EVO force items on with Smash Wii U?

Super Smash Brothers Brawl had Huge Year 1 Success
In the last year, many have said Smash died after Brawl’s launch – this short term memory couldn’t be further from the truth. Brawl continued the wave Melee was riding after it’s Golden Era and wouldn’t slow down until 2012. Between May 2008 and May 2009, in a single year, Brawl did the following:

• 681 Brawl Tournaments
• 25,269 Entrants
• 37 - Average entrants per tournament
• 57 - Tournaments per month
• 13 - Tournaments per weekend
• 486 - Entrants per week
• $231,000 – Single Prize Pool
• $200,000 – Doubles Prize Pool (est.)
• $70,000 - Venue Fees

These numbers wouldn’t be matched again until late 2013 and 2014 with Melee.

MLG picks up Brawl in 2010
In 2010, Major League Gaming picked up Brawl for the 5-event Pro Circuit. This series of tournaments featured more prize money than Smash had ever seen before, culminating in a Dallas Championship event with a $35,000 pool. Here were the results of this tournament:
1st (9) Gnes -Diddy Kong - $12,500
2nd (3) TyRaNt - Meta Knight - $7,500
3rd (2) ESAM - Pikachu - $5,000
4th (1) Ally - Snake - $3,500
5th (11) Espy - Sonic - $2,500
6th (12) _X_ - Sonic - $1,750
7th (4) LeeMartin - Meta Knight/Lucario - $1,250
8th (7) Atomsk92 - King Dedede/Ice Climbers/Meta Knight$1,000

Alas, despite attendance numbers averaging over 30% more than when Melee was on the circuit in 2006, Brawl was dropped. MLG had been unable to get the go-ahead to stream the game from Nintendo during the season.

Meta Knight Banned by the Unity Ruleset Committee
One of the most controversial aspects of Brawl since launch had been Meta Knight - to ban or not to ban? In 2011, after MLG dropped Brawl from the Pro Circuit, an effort to keep the game relevant was made. The Unity Ruleset Committee, or the URC, was formed by a number of the largest tournament organizers and late in the year they announced that, beginning in early 2012, Meta Knight would be banned. After 4 months where about half of all tournaments banned the character the URC disbanded and the ban did not hold.

Melee Surpasses Brawl
After Apex 2013, Brawl players felt confident. It was the largest Smash brothers tournament and second largest Brawl tournament to that point in time (Apex 2012 is the largest Brawl tournament with 400 entrants). Things were looking good still, hundreds of tournaments a year were still occurring with thousands of players and after Street Fighter and Marvel, Smash/Brawl was still the third largest fighting game in existence. When Melee players began to push for entrance into EVO, the Brawl community supported their drive and felt the game could use the spotlight. As it was, this marked the beginning of Brawls decline and what happened next is still being felt today.
  • Early 2013: Smash community raises over $90,000 to get Melee into EVO 2013
  • Mid 2013: Nintendo bans Melee from being streamed, but reverses the decision following gigantic internet uproar
  • Mid 2013: Melee has 696 entrants at EVO 2013 - becomes most attended Melee event ever
  • Mid 2013: Melee breached 130,000 viewers at EVO 2013 - becomes most watched fighting game stream ever
  • Late 2013: Melee is featured in the 9-part documentary by Samox - rated as the best eSports documentary ever created
  • Early 2014: Nintendo allows MLG and EVO to stream events
  • Early-Mid 2014: EG, C9, VGBC, Team Liquid, CT, Curse, Mortality, and others pick up Smash players
  • Mid 2014: Nintendo announces Smash Invitational, Smash at Best Buy, and For Glory Mode
  • Mid 2014: Melee at CEO, MLG, and EVO
How things will play out, for both Melee and Brawl, after Smash Wii U releases, remains to be seen. It is very likely much of the current attention and pressure will be to focus on the newest title - will the community embrace it or be divided?

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
R.I.P Brawl, Hello SSB4!

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
It was definitely a fun ride with Brawl, despite the delays, and I hope to do that same ride again with SSB4. I know I'm just as excited as ever for this game, and Nintendo is doing their part in making the community excited. I think this will exceed Brawl in sales for sure. Good luck Nintendo. I know you have my money at least.

Crendog

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-7435-8104
Melee is definitely more popular among pro and hardcore gamers but I still believe that Brawl is better

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
This article may be titled "Remembering Brawl" but I left it thinking only of Melee.

Anyway, hopefully Smash 4 is a better game with an even longer lifespan.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
So basically, everyone was being a **** about Brawl because it wasn't Melee lol. Ah the people these days. I remember Brawl's release more then Melee. What a day that was :D

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I'll still remember Brawl's appeal and take my knowledge from both Melee and Brawl and apply it to Smash 4. Let's hope for the best out of Smash 4, and if it isn't exactly what we wanted, let's not shun it.

Hong

The Strongest
Great article.

My local scene is -still- healing from Brawl, but the documentary and Project M helped a lot. I hope Smash 4 can help to revitalize scenes in rather quiet areas like my own.

Gtown_Tom

New England Melee TO
Apex 2012 had 400 entrants just for Brawl singles... which remains the record (and likely will stand forever) - amazing to think how much can change over the course of a few years.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
My local scene mostly hates Brawl, except two of our best players play it occasionally, to some other players' chagrin. Our best Melee Pikachu also plays the game. And there's me and another guy (random Melee Falco, Brawl MK/ICs). And that's it for our consistent Brawl scene. And I'm leaving for college soon.

Fortunately, our Melee and PM scene each has over 40 consistent players, so hopefully those events will stay strong. Eventually I hope to add some more Brawl players to the scene, or at least continue to play with the few guys I can find.

pickle962

Smash Lord
*yawn* I'll admit playing as the newcomers in Brawl was fun for a few weeks after I got my copy along with my Wii for Christmas back in 2008! If only it had better online, tighter gameplay, oh and no F****NG TRIPPING!!!!! Thank god for Project M being everything Brawl should have been! And thank god Sakurai learned from the stupid mistake that was tripping! Its definitely something NO ONE will miss in smash 4!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
#Oneunit= brawl community helping the melee community explode while their own game suffers

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
real talk i liked everything about brawl except the gameplay.
music choices, cool cutscenes, customizeable controls (always hated melee controls but put up with it bcuz melee) all the sharp details that would have made brawl melee's true successor in the series i just fell in love with. then i played brawl ganon and wanted to break all my things. thank GOD for Project m

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Amazing write up.

Although I do have issues with aspects of Brawl's physics/balance, I still respect the game and it's given me extreme amounts of fun either way.

This article really makes me consider the health of the Brawl community after Smash 4 is here. It'll be tough for them, but I really wish them good luck and for them to do what they should always do; have fun.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear. This article will create some wonderful "x is better than y because...." arguments, I guarantee it.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Spoiler alert: SSB4 isn't Melee either. The purists will continue to hate any game that isn't Melee.

Project M 2 incoming!

Last edited:

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I remember getting Brawl on the midnight release. I was so excited when I got it. I thought it would be even faster than Melee. But after playing it for a while I noticed it's flaws. I was so disappointed about the stage builder and Young Link not being in the game. The stage builder had SO MUCH potential. It would've been so cool adding structures from famous Nintendo games. Like having disappearing platforms from Mario games, the star blocks from the Kirby games, and the list goes on. The only thing that saved Brawl in my opinion were the mods. Brawl was hacked way more than Melee and could import things a lot easier. After about 3 months of playing Brawl, I went back to Melee. Haven't looked back since. Hopefully Super Smash Bros. 3D & U are really good. I'm pre ordering the 3DS version and hopefully it's worth it.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I never did finish all of the Challenges. Boss Battles on Intense was crazy: never did figure out how to dodge Porky's lightning-fast 2HKO's with Zard's slow jumps. Also there was trophying the Armank and a few other bosses, and whatever the last few stickers were... it WAS fun to have so many things to collect and finish, but it wasn't always as fun as it was in Melee.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
While Brawl isn't my favorite game in the series, without it I would never have gotten introduced to the others, so thanks to Nintendo for making the Wii hackable, and thank God for the PMBR. And thanks to Brawl, for inspiring change in the community, in all the various ways it has advanced the series.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I saw this coming. Brawl lacks the "play-control" Melee effortlessly lends. Everything in Brawl is "fixed." Oh, you can't ledge-cancel. Oh, you have to wait ten years before your ledge-grab stun wears off. On top of that, many characters such as Dedede, ROB, Fox, and Sheik had such stagnant metagames that it just wasn't funny. The only truly exciting Brawl match I've ever seen was Salem VS M2K at Apex 2013 GFs. Also, tripping.

Brawl did introduce me to the competitive community. Whenever I was going 1v1 in Basic Brawl, I would naturally pick a neutral stage with all items off. Thence, I wanted to get better, so I found out about combo videos, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
If Smash 4 is indeed Brawl's roster with extra people, which is the best I could hope for, I wont really see a reason to stick to Brawl anymore. While I enjoyed Melee, I was never very good at it.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I've met all my goals for brawl. These were to become the best :wolf: of all time, top at a national, become 1st in my region, and become known among the smash brothers community. I love the game and will cherish every memory of it. This includes traveling to other states, meeting new people, flourishing competition, and competing in general.

I'm playing Project M now and seek the same goals with regards to :diddy:.

I don't know who I'll main in smash 4, but I've never felt it was a choice. The character will choose me.
:018:

link2702

Smash Champion
I dont' see brawl surviving very long after smash4.

melee will still go strong, but I just don't see it with brawl.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Ah, Brawl. I remember all the hype. I remember the disappointment with the delays. But getting it at midnight release night was so satisfying. Thanks for the memories.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Both games are fun in the first 6 months but the difference between Melee and Brawl is simple :
Melee gets more fun the more you play
Brawl gets less fun the more you play

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
R.I.P I always thought brawl was fun to play as a 11 year old scrub. Will always remember <3

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
The quicker Smash 4 comes out, the better I can forget about Brawl. Since the night I went to get that game and stay up a couple of hours, it was not worth it as the years went by. All I received from it was bad memories throughout the game's era.

Top Bottom