• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Religion: what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Huah!

jaej

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
So the point that "there is no written evidence of Jesus from Roman scholars" may or may not be true (I didn't look), but judging by the type of people the Jews were, I doubt they could have been so easily fooled like that. Any blashphemy on such an obvious level would have been squashed.
Jesus preached for 3 years. They didn't do too good of a job of squashing it, then. Three years is I think more than enough time for word to get out that some guy is performing miracles. I suspect rumors like that would travel rather quickly, and any attempt to expunge them by the Romans or the Jews would be quite difficult.

disclaimer: I've never taken an anthropology class, and have done no research. My opinion about this is totally speculative.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I already answered your question as to why I dont "enforce this law" anymore. Ancient Israel was God's special nation. All other nations that have come before it or after are nothing more than man made. Israel was God made.

I haven't answered what question, exactly?

And I have no idea what you mean when you argue that I cant assume Christianity is the one truth when that's exactly what I'm argueing. See, this whole time you've been denying the possibility of a diety of some form. How the deuce am I supposed to get through to you if you dont even consider it possible?

"People should have freedom of religion"
"Hi, I'm a diety. I made you. And no, you should follow me."
"I'm going to pretend you dont exist and pretend it was a human who said that. So my answer is no."
*diety*: ... >_>;
So what do you mean? Do you just dislike the idea of having other religions in Israel. It's pretty apparrent that God's not going to do anything about their presence.

I thought my question was pretty clear. If I am not Christian and live in Israel, why should I be bothered by who you think should or should not be present in Israel. I got the impression you would support such a person's removal from Israel, depsite all the problems that would result.

You need to leave your shell and accept other people won't discuss everything from a christian perspective. I am asking you argue this topic from a neutral perspective, but you can't so you keep going back to the bible to prove your point. Despite the bible meaning nothing to someone who isn't religious >.>

PS. I haven't denied the existance of a deity at any point in our discussion. Please don't put words in my mouth.

edit: also, your pretend conversation is kind of uncalled for, considering you don't even know what my religious background is and it has nothing to do with the discussion.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Lol but theres no record of him! LOL, you can't erease all records of figure on that level. It would be impossible unless you hired the MIB to go to everyone and erased their memory. It's physically impossible.

There would be records, if his existence there is no way the Jews would have destroyed all forms of evidence.
I dont know what you think Jesus was, but he wasn't some superstar among the Jews or anything like that. He tried keeping himself a secret and encouraged people not to speak about him even after he had done miracles. It's not like he's as famous then as he is right now.

Also, I dare say the Emperor of the Roman Empire could very well have done it.
Why does no one read my mini-essay? You cant decieve the whole Jewish nation into believing someone they had never heard about wether they accepted him as Christ or not.
Do you realize the story of jesus is a plagerization of pagan doctrine? Many gods shared if not all most of Jesus divine characteristics.
If you're talking about that Zeitgeist movie, I've seen it. I'd be happy to go through that. For example, they said Jesus was a perfect copy of Osirus, the Egyptian god. One simple Wikipedia search would have shown that the "similarities" were completely made up by the film makers. The only thing I found that really was similar was that both were supposedly born of virgins. The whole fisherman, born again from the dead, and baptism thing was made up.

Actually the only shred of evidence for jesus are the 4 gospels which are really copies of copies of copies of what we think was written the original scripts are lost.
And thousands of eye witnesses wether they believed in him or not.
The alternative? The alternative is god stops being a ******* and doesn't send people who have never heard the name Jesus to hell. Simple as that.
You make it seem as if God enjoys sending people to hell. No, God says many times to the Israelites that he does not delight in punishing the wicked, but would rather they repent. If we dont repennt and take Jesus' death as a sacrifice for our sins then we cant be cleansed and be with a perfect God.
And how can you possibly say I would reject god if suddenly every genetic disease was cured and there were no more starving, dying children in Africa? no makey sense...
Oh, I thought if you meant there was NEVER any of that stuff in Africa. I said no because then we wouldn't have known about those sufferings and therefore wouldn't have known what we were saved from. Ok.

And actually, I still dont think many people would believe in God after something like that happened. People would probably say something about evolving a resistence against diseases and praise mankind for growing all the crops needed to support everyone.
You honestly believe this? You honestly believe your god is omniscient and omnipotent, and chooses to do nothing even though millions of his beloved children are burning for all eternity? That's not all-loving; that's malevolent. You believe there's some sort of greater good being worked toward, that it's all part of god's will? You believe that instead of doubting his existence, or if you're that intent on there being a god, at least his benevolence? Ignorance, pure and simple.
I really dont see how one option is more believable than the other. Both are possibilities. One is optomistic and the other pessimistic. Funny, because I'm usually the pessimist.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Jesus preached for 3 years. They didn't do too good of a job of squashing it, then. Three years is I think more than enough time for word to get out that some guy is performing miracles. I suspect rumors like that would travel rather quickly, and any attempt to expunge them by the Romans or the Jews would be quite difficult.
It doesn't matter if people did talk. Talking is one thing. Writing historical documents is another.

And Jesus was horribly vague to most people in his sermons. The parables are key examples of this.
So what do you mean? Do you just dislike the idea of having other religions in Israel. It's pretty apparrent that God's not going to do anything about their presence.
Are we talking about the same Israel here? There's Israel the country, the present nation and the ancient one waaaay long ago, and Israelites the people.

I've been talking about the ancient Israel, the people. If you're asking me what should happen to Israel now, I dont care. Worship whoever you want.
I thought my question was pretty clear. If I am not Christian and live in Israel, why should I be bothered by who you think should or should not be present in Israel. I got the impression you would support such a person's removal from Israel, depsite all the problems that would result.
If you lived there now, feel free to worship whoever you want. If you had lived there 3000 years ago then no.
You need to leave your shell and accept other people won't discuss everything from a christian perspective. I am asking you argue this topic from a neutral perspective, but you can't so you keep going back to the bible to prove your point. Despite the bible meaning nothing to someone who isn't religious >.>

PS. I haven't denied the existance of a deity at any point in our discussion. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Sorry about that then.

And while assuming people wont be looking at what I argue from a Christian perspective is important, the particular arguement we were having absolutely needed it.
edit: also, your pretend conversation is kind of uncalled for, considering you don't even know what my religious background is and it has nothing to do with the discussion.
You know what? I appologize.
Not that I meant it in a mocking tone. :(

Aesir

Smash Master
I dont know what you think Jesus was, but he wasn't some superstar among the Jews or anything like that. He tried keeping himself a secret and encouraged people not to speak about him even after he had done miracles. It's not like he's as famous then as he is right now.
I would like to know the level of control the jews had to be able to destroy all secular evidence of Jesus existence. And how the only shred of evidence we have are the gospels which make Jesus out to be a guy who went around flaunting his power.

He performed many miracles in fact, raised the dead, healed the sick. yadda yadda yadda.

a man doing that would likely not go under anyones radar, anyone who saw that would have definitely remembered it. Yet here we have Jesus death then somehow everyone forgot as theres no mention of him ever again, then we have the gospels.

Also, I dare say the Emperor of the Roman Empire could very well have done it.
Why does no one read my mini-essay? You cant decieve the whole Jewish nation into believing someone they had never heard about wether they accepted him as Christ or not.
Yet the rest of the world who he came in contact with, just forgot? seems rather convenient

If you're talking about that Zeitgeist movie, I've seen it. I'd be happy to go through that. For example, they said Jesus was a perfect copy of Osirus, the Egyptian god. One simple Wikipedia search would have shown that the "similarities" were completely made up by the film makers. The only thing I found that really was similar was that both were supposedly born of virgins. The whole fisherman, born again from the dead, and baptism thing was made up.
Lol Osiris, did you even watch that movie?

They talked about Horus but thats not the point, there are more pagan gods that shared these similarities

Hercules for for one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0q4k_o11U starts at 1:16. lol

jaej

Smash Journeyman
If you look closely, the stories of the Buddha and of Jesus are very similar. A virgin gave birth to Jesus; Buddha's mother gave birth to him from her hip at the level of her heart. If you look at their teachings, you will also notice they are very similar. There's a theory that Jesus visited India during his twenties, and it's possible that's where he got most of his teachings. The one key difference is that followers of Buddha appreciate this little thing called symbolism. They don't take the story literally, it's a metaphor. I don't have time now, but if I'm not too tired tonight maybe I can go into it in more depth.

Anyway, ironically I'm going to a christmas eve service tonight. toodles.

Aesir

Smash Master
unfortunately we're told nothing from the chrurch of what Jesus did during his life time. he was born then when he was 12 he disappeared and we don't see him again until he's in his 30's

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I've been talking about the ancient Israel, the people. If you're asking me what should happen to Israel now, I dont care. Worship whoever you want.

If you lived there now, feel free to worship whoever you want. If you had lived there 3000 years ago then no.
whaaaat. I thought you were talking about modern israel >.< That kinda makes everything moot so far lol.

However, I'd still disagree. I guess you could argue that at the time word was being spread about God, therefore people should have known the truth. But..........

You are being bombarded by everyone atm, so I'll leave this discussion for later when the topic dies down a bit lol.

No hard feelings :)

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
having free will, emotions, and reason which animals do not have.
I don't think you're giving animals enough credit here. How do you know they don't have freewill, emotions or reason? That's sort of a lofty assumption

(I saw this about four pages back and it bothered me)

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
I don't think you're giving animals enough credit here. How do you know they don't have freewill, emotions or reason? That's sort of a lofty assumption

(I saw this about four pages back and it bothered me)
Not really... they have reason, if you mean instinct. And I believe they can have emotions too. If you've ever heard your dog whining, or seen him or her when you get home from a trip, you'll know what I mean, or a cat purring. But free will? No, animals react wth their instincts, and they are predictable.

If you look closely, the stories of the Buddha and of Jesus are very similar. A virgin gave birth to Jesus; Buddha's mother gave birth to him from her hip at the level of her heart. If you look at their teachings, you will also notice they are very similar. There's a theory that Jesus visited India during his twenties, and it's possible that's where he got most of his teachings. The one key difference is that followers of Buddha appreciate this little thing called symbolism. They don't take the story literally, it's a metaphor. I don't have time now, but if I'm not too tired tonight maybe I can go into it in more depth.

Anyway, ironically I'm going to a christmas eve service tonight. toodles.
Did Buddha ever say he came to the earth with a sword to turn brother against brother? Yeah, the truth is we don't know where Jesus went from when he was 12 or something until he was in his twenties. You can make a lot of guesses though. He was probably teaching people (like when he was 12).

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Its eighty seven minutes and sixteen seconds. I have things to do!

Buddha also died as a mortal and stayed dead because he never claimed any divine ancestory. His entire life is pretty well documented, both his parents and their ancestors is also.

Until the bible was written fifty to one hundred fifty years after his supposed death, no one knew of any Jesus the Christ. Nothing was written about him at all. Kind of fishy if you ask me.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Did Buddha ever say he came to the earth with a sword to turn brother against brother? Yeah, the truth is we don't know where Jesus went from when he was 12 or something until he was in his twenties. You can make a lot of guesses though. He was probably teaching people (like when he was 12).
Negative. His entire public ministry was spread via second-hand sources (followers of his first followers), if he was truly teaching for the 18 year absence, then he did a HORRIBLE job because no one felt the need to even jot down a thing he said. Personally, I believe the omission contains something about a wife or family because Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi, and Rabbis got married. Jesus would have been discredited by everyone if he hadn't been married because they would have saw him as quite odd.

Gamer4Fire said:
Until the bible was written fifty to one hundred fifty years after his supposed death, no one knew of any Jesus the Christ. Nothing was written about him at all. Kind of fishy if you ask me.
Exactly! The fact that none of his direct followers felt compelled to write, save for possibly the ones omitted, always lead me to believe something wasn't right.

Watching that video, I can't help but wonder how can anyone go from Evolutionist to Creationist. The biggest argument from Creationist is that there is so many missing links and steps, to them, so you are grasping at sticks, but they believe in an invisible force created everything.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I actually do think Jesus was a real person. I don't think he rose from the dead or did miracles, but I think he existed. It's true that everything written about him is from second-hand accounts, written years after his death, but the exact same could be said of Hannibal, and there's little doubt that he existed. If there was a religion based on Hannibal, I bet he'd be thought of as legendary, because leading a troop of elephants across the alps is one hell of an achievement, and there is little hard evidence to back it up. Though there is a big *** difference between Hannibal and Jesus, and I don't think Jesus did any miracles (leading elephants across the alps is difficult, miracles are impossible, says I), but I don't see any reason to discredit that there could have been a jewish teacher named (or used as a basis) for Jesus.

Aesir

Smash Master
There could have been a guy named Jesus definitely, but it's kind of hard to know if it's the same Jesus. You could take away all the folklore surrounding Jesus but when you do that, you have nothing, just a guy.

Where do you get the idea that the same can be said about Hannibal? pretty sure the roman empire would have verified his existence.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure why you people even argue about Jesus being a real historical person. I thought it was a common fact and there's quite a good consensus about it. A religion as massive as Christianity couldn't possibly be based on a fictional made up person. Just google the subject, the evidence is undeniable. The Nazarene lived as surely as Nero or Caesar or any other historical person. There's even notes from Roman historians such as Flavius Josefus.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Some people say that Josephus' notes were edited later on or something like that. No Jew who didn't already believe in Jesus would have written about Jesus anyway. Directly stolen from Wikipedia: :p

There is some debate over the meaning of "Yeshu."

The word is found as a name in manuscripts of the Talmud, albeit rarely, and it has also been used as an acronym (יש"ו) for the Hebrew expression ימח שמו וזכרו (yemach shemo vezichro), meaning "May his name and memory be obliterated", a term used for those guilty of enticing Jews to idolatry. Some argue that this has always been its meaning, others argue that the acronym was specifically created to discredit the historical figure known as Jesus of Nazareth and/or Christianity.
Wether or not Jesus did miracles wouldn't have mattered to the Jews. He was a blasphemer/demon possessed, and his name would have been shunned.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I'm not sure why you people even argue about Jesus being a real historical person. I thought it was a common fact and there's quite a good consensus about it.
The Earth being flat was also a common fact with a good consensus. Doesn't make it true. This reminds me of the difference between real facts and good facts. Real facts actually exist. Good facts help your cause without any basis in reality.

Edit to add:

Some people say that Josephus' notes were edited later on or something like that. No Jew who didn't already believe in Jesus would have written about Jesus anyway. Directly stolen from Wikipedia: :p

Wether or not Jesus did miracles wouldn't have mattered to the Jews. He was a blasphemer/demon possessed, and his name would have been shunned.
Really? Then how do you explain all the Hebrew writers who exposed so many religious charlatans as frauds? They made sure to document all these false prophets, why not Jesus?

RazeveX

Smash Ace
This is only half relevant, but i saw a documentary a while ago about Jesus.

They mentioned a theory which i found quite interesting. The theory being that when Jesus was "killed" he was in fact only unconscious (i can't explain this well because i can't remember much). He went back to his disciples to show he was alive...then...well he went of to die. Don't forget that this is all on the basis that his story was somewhat exaggerated.

Now I'm not saying this is true or not, and i am sorry if i offended anyone, but i just think it's quite interesting to think that if it were true, one man would have changed the world immensely over this stunt.

It's pretty funny to think about this the way we think about brawl roster leaks. Whenever a "prophet" leaks info, we just sit back and say "i won't believe it until the game comes out". But when we talk about religion, somehow we put all of our faith into the beliefs started by one man.

Ah well...i just thought i'd share that with you all.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
LOL, well I'm sure none of you will believe in god/jesus till the time of reckoning comes.

Except then it'll be too late. :laugh:

And "secular humanists" might have morals. but it's their own morals.Pedophiles and serial killers follow their own morals, as well.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
What I mean is that most religions are influenced by the cultures they find themselves in (hence all of the various denominations of Christianity, Islam and Judaism), and that most morality found in religion is therefore influenced or derived from those cultures.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
And "secular humanists" might have morals. but it's their own morals.Pedophiles and serial killers follow their own morals, as well.
Um, no?

What the hell do you mean, their own morals? Religion isn't about morals; it's about faith. Many pedophiles and serial killers are religious. Did that stop them? No.

It is through culture and community that we learn what is right and wrong. I think the reason you think that religion is what gave you morals is because of the community involved; but you have to understand that nearly everyone else has this community available to them (usually family and friends).

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
They mentioned a theory which i found quite interesting. The theory being that when Jesus was "killed" he was in fact only unconscious (i can't explain this well because i can't remember much). He went back to his disciples to show he was alive...then...well he went of to die. Don't forget that this is all on the basis that his story was somewhat exaggerated.
If Jesus really was beaten, flogged, and hung on a cross by the Romans then this would have been impossible. Jesus would have died within a couple of hours, easily. He lost a LOT of blood. He might have been able to survive with modern day doctors, but definitely not in his time.

I think there's only been one incident of a criminal escaping from the cross with the aid of other people, and he died shortly afterwards.

Gamer4Fire, I'm no expert on Judiasm so I'm going to have to bow out of this discussion. I'm interested in the frauds you talked about, however. Are they mentioned in the Old Testament or some other writing?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I agree, there is no real way Jesus could have been unconscious and then considered alive, unless you change almost the entire story, which makes it pointless to even leave the resurrection part in at all.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Um, no?

What the hell do you mean, their own morals? Religion isn't about morals; it's about faith. Many pedophiles and serial killers are religious. Did that stop them? No.

It is through culture and community that we learn what is right and wrong. I think the reason you think that religion is what gave you morals is because of the community involved; but you have to understand that nearly everyone else has this community available to them (usually family and friends).
LOL, I don't know what kind of pedophiles/serial killers you've been seeing.

cuz molesting, premarital fornication, and murder are all against most, if not all religions.

And you aren't really "religious" if you willingly and constantly do those things.

Aesir

Smash Master
^ I can't believe you just asked that....LOL

Pedophiles; the catholic church.

>_>

Despite popular belief Hitler was raised Roman Catholic....we all know what he did don't we? He even called himself a Christian.

darkatma

Smash Hero
yes, for a perfect example of religion gone wrong, just look at 'godhates***s.com and godhatesamerica.com.

Westborough Church much?
Religion is a good couplet for morals, but if misinterpreted, religion becomes a deadly discriminatory weapon capable of more destruction and dehumanization than any bomb, be it nuclear or otherwise, could possibly cause.

Like, I'm pretty sure God WANTED us to hate gays, because of course he's a homophobe himself. Then people take the story of sodom and gomorrah out of context, and then religiously adhere to *parts* of the bible, and completely ignore other parts.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
Like, I'm pretty sure God WANTED us to hate gays, because of course he's a homophobe himself. Then people take the story of sodom and gomorrah out of context, and then religiously adhere to *parts* of the bible, and completely ignore other parts.
There's a huge difference between hating homosexuality (as in, sin) and the homosexual people themselves.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -Emo Philips

(I dunno, not much I can say in this thread at the moment, I just found this quote highly entertaining.)

RazeveX

Smash Ace
If Jesus really was beaten, flogged, and hung on a cross by the Romans then this would have been impossible. Jesus would have died within a couple of hours, easily. He lost a LOT of blood. He might have been able to survive with modern day doctors, but definitely not in his time.

I think there's only been one incident of a criminal escaping from the cross with the aid of other people, and he died shortly afterwards.
Fair enough, i can't remember the details, but the documentary strongly enforced the point that his story was much exaggerated.

Although, maybe Jesus had a twin? :laugh:

LOL, I don't know what kind of pedophiles/serial killers you've been seeing.

cuz molesting, premarital fornication, and murder are all against most, if not all religions.

And you aren't really "religious" if you willingly and constantly do those things.
Dude, you couldn't be more wrong. Do you even know how many extremely bad people are religious? The MAJORITY of serial killers are religious (according to a survey in North America). Hitler was Christian (i think, google it).

rockkybox

Smash Rookie
Talk about derailment.

I'll convince you with the reward. Uhm, hmmm, how about a simple philosophical principle. I forget who came up with it. Basically you have two scenarios.

First scenario: God doesn't exist. Two options: Believe in God, or don't believe. If you believe in God you don't lose anything, you just waste your time believing in nothing. You don't gain anything either. If you don't believe, you also gain nothing and lose nothing.

Second scenario: God DOES exist. Let's say you believe. You gain ETERNAL LIFE. Let's say you don't believe. You lose ETERNAL LIFE.

If it's about the odds, believing in God gives you absolutely NOTHING to lose, but EVERYTHING to gain. If you don't believe, you risk losing everything. I'd consider the whole thing worth looking into, then, no?
I'm sorry but this is a RIDICULOUS manner to try and convince people, its like saying repent on your deathbed just in case, do you really think that if god was real he would not be able to see that this guys pretending to believe to get eternal life? Anyway im not sure why in
m trying to disprove it because its such a stupid argument no one will be converted by it, if you want to try and convince people, find evidence. do you really want people to renounce what they actually believe just because its safer? Thats what happened in Nazi Germany.

All im going to cite is my grandma, she was a devout christian, (church of England) incidentally the church that became popular because of the support of Henry the 8th, he wanted an annulment of his marriage, and managed to get it, after becoming the supreme head of the church of England, anyway, she was devout, and i believe that this reduced her quality of life, when in japan with my dad she refused to enter any Buddhist temple, and refused to watch any history programme detailing events before the birth of Jesus. She was also a member of an organization that attempted to ban the harry potter books for religious reasons (promoting the use of witchcraft), forget that they have brought joy to probably millions of children, and have also helped countless thousands to learn to read, it mentions witchcraft, get it out of here. This i know is not evidence for anything, a single person, but i believe there are loads of others like this and that their life's would be improved dramatically if they didn't believe.

I believe that religion has caused more pain and suffering than good (no surprises there) without religion trying to beat down scientific observations and theories in the past, and even today, imagine how much further we would be ahead as a species; if Darwin didn't have to defend himself from people drawing pictures of him with a monkeys body, or Galileo didn't have to go through imprisonment for his empirically testable and now known as true beliefs. In fact there is no way of knowing just how much more could have been discovered if it wasn't for the repression that is religion.

Its all very well to say that all these things were in the past, and that religion is a good influence now, but what about the condom debate?

Condoms are rejected on the grounds that they are murder, as there could be another person in the world today, but what about people dying due to aids, because of the lack of condoms, is that not a murder too? what is worse, 'murdering' someone who has never really existed, or someone who has family, friends, experiences, a whole life. Anyone who does not support the use of condoms is basically a murderer.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Christian, but there are so many things I don't understand about why other Christians make their choices. If they want to take certain bible passages so literally, they better be willing to take other ones literally as well. According to specific scripture, it may be a sin to perform homosexual acts (I think it isn't), but you are not allowed to judge people for doing homosexual acts, so you cannot ban people from doing it, or not allow homosexuals to come to church, etc. In the very same book of the Bible, there are also numerous little laws in there such as, "one must not shave off their beard", or "one most not wear items of clothing woven of two or more fabrics". I'm **** sure that some of the Christians who are prosecuting gays are wearing a shirt made of cotton and polyester right now.

Top Bottom