• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Relevance of replays ?

Titibandit

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone.

I wanted to ask the Project M community about replays.

Replays of past games usually play a quite important role when it comes to competitive games. Whether it's to review a game and analyse mistakes, showcase some good actions, or just to be able to watch over and over again some pro's combos, I really think that replays are a quite important part of any competitive video game.

Right now, despite Project M having a replay feature, I don't see any replay being shared or published. How come ?
Are these replays not practical enough to use ? Or maybe they don't have enough features ? (like being able to control the speed, advancing frame by frame, or activate debug mode ?)

So do you think these replays are not used because, in the current state, they are not practical/useful enough ? or simply because having replays is not relevant in itself ?

Just wondering :D

TreK

Is "that guy"
Replays are not compatible with one of the codes PM is using at the moment. It has to do with light presses on the shoulder buttons I believe, and this causes desynchronisations.

The day we get replays in PM will be a damn good day. In Brawl we used them to record tournament sets in 1080p by playing the replays on Dolphin, to ask for critique by other players without having to buy expensive recording equipment, and to immortalize good matches that happened to be on a setup you weren't streaming.

Kati

Smash Lord
PM has plenty of replays via twitch and youtube... nintendo's in game recorder isn't a big deal either way.

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
Does it ?

And do we know if PMDT planned to do something about replays in the near future ?
I am PMDT and replays work in the WiFi build and debug mode should work in replays. I haven't actually tried it though

Titibandit

Smash Rookie
I know that right now there is a replay feature, I just wanted to know how it could be improved to make people use it more. Or if it's just a dead end anyway.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
As has been mentioned, the full set does not support replays - they desynchronize, becoming useless, because of the way Project M parses certain inputs. The wifi set can save functional replays, but the wifi set is not used in tournaments, so using replays as a widespread resource would be awkward. Replays of high-profile matches can not be saved.

Top Bottom