• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reinvisioning Global Melee Netplay Settings

Y-L

Smash Champion
On Dolphin, the custom code set Global Melee Netplay Settings does the following:

boots to CSS
unlocks all characters + stages
sets the random stage selector to have the legal stages enabled
sets to 4 stocks 8 minutes
allows access to the debug menu

However there are some flaws to this. Team attack is off by default and if you change the stage list it automatically reverts when you leave the menu to name a few things.

This thread is for discussion and compilation of codes to redesign the global netplay settings. Aside from those fixes, some other quality of life things should be considered.

Perhaps neutral start? I don't know what else. I also was told we should use Gecko Codes as opposed to AR codes as they're depricated, not sure about the validity of that statement.

Thoughts?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Good idea. I always just watch it when the other player tries to turn off FoD, like they believe it might someday work.

Do you think we should start to adopt the stage mods from 20XX TE. I mean, why the **** not right? It's no doubt gunna be used at a bunch locals when it releases. Who knows how far it gets, but it'd be good to at least have the choice. In fact, TE must be only gecko codes, so we may as well adopt that when it releases.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Good idea. I always just watch it when the other player tries to turn off FoD, like they believe it might someday work.

Do you think we should start to adopt the stage mods from 20XX TE. I mean, why the **** not right? It's no doubt gunna be used at a bunch locals when it releases. Who knows how far it gets, but it'd be good to at least have the choice. In fact, TE must be only gecko codes, so we may as well adopt that when it releases.
Perhaps we could replace mushroom kingdom with frozen pokemon stadium or something. I don't think we should rid ps1 with transformations completely.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps we could replace mushroom kingdom with frozen pokemon stadium or something. I don't think we should rid ps1 with transformations completely.
Apologies if I did not make it clear, I would not want to take them completely out, I definitely thought it to be toggle-able or replacing other stages, like 20XXTE.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Apologies if I did not make it clear, I would not want to take them completely out, I definitely thought it to be toggle-able or replacing other stages, like 20XXTE.
Is it feasible to have toggles with solely Gecko Codes?

NNID
dansalvato
Is it feasible to have toggles with solely Gecko Codes?
Yes. 20XXTE is entirely Gecko codes. The caveat is that unless we see some collaboration with Dolphin devs, it can only be loaded using the save file, and not via Dolphin's Gecko Codes implementation. The reason is that Dolphin stores the codes in a location that's too small for 20XXTE to load into, so I have to load the codes into a custom location. If Dolphin ever receives an advanced setting to load Gecko codes into a custom location, then it will be feasible to do using Dolphin's implementation rather than loading through a save file.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes. 20XXTE is entirely Gecko codes. The caveat is that unless we see some collaboration with Dolphin devs, it can only be loaded using the save file, and not via Dolphin's Gecko Codes implementation. The reason is that Dolphin stores the codes in a location that's too small for 20XXTE to load into, so I have to load the codes into a custom location. If Dolphin ever receives an advanced setting to load Gecko codes into a custom location, then it will be feasible to do using Dolphin's implementation rather than loading through a save file.
I'm friends with a Dolphin dev, so I'll ask about this.

NNID
dansalvato
Using AR is pretty much out of the question. It would take too much work to keep multiple codesets in check between console and Dolphin, and the vast majority of 20XXTE codes are ASM injections.

20XXTE has 100% compatibility with Dolphin because I use Dolphin as my primary development tool.

There are two possible ways for 20XXTE to work in Dolphin:
1. Load the 20XXTE save file. I do this all the time during development and it works perfectly. If netplay disables memory card read/write out of necessity, I guess this isn't really an option.
2. Add a new, optional section to the game's .ini that specifies where Gecko injects the codes into memory. Gecko on the Wii can already do this via the gameconfig.txt file, which is how Project M manages to load its gigantic code file into a safe spot. It would probably be very easy to add this to Dolphin, and I'll bring it up with a friend of mine. This would actually speed up development for me as well, because I wouldn't have to compile a save file every time I want to test the working build of 20XXTE.

edit: Are they proposing that Gecko codes for some reason don't work with netplay?

Last edited:

badfontkeming

Smash Rookie
edit: Are they proposing that Gecko codes for some reason don't work with netplay?
Don't think so. Brawl netplay's been using Gecko codes for a while now with no issues.

Is it possible to patch the ISO with the Gecko codes the same way that is used with PM and other Brawl mods? Or is this too close to defeating the purpose of 20XXTE?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ideally everything could be enabled and disabled easily so no iso patching.

And gecko codes work fine over netplay. I'll get back to you

Y-L

Smash Champion
Using AR is pretty much out of the question. It would take too much work to keep multiple codesets in check between console and Dolphin, and the vast majority of 20XXTE codes are ASM injections.

20XXTE has 100% compatibility with Dolphin because I use Dolphin as my primary development tool.

There are two possible ways for 20XXTE to work in Dolphin:
1. Load the 20XXTE save file. I do this all the time during development and it works perfectly. If netplay disables memory card read/write out of necessity, I guess this isn't really an option.
2. Add a new, optional section to the game's .ini that specifies where Gecko injects the codes into memory. Gecko on the Wii can already do this via the gameconfig.txt file, which is how Project M manages to load its gigantic code file into a safe spot. It would probably be very easy to add this to Dolphin, and I'll bring it up with a friend of mine. This would actually speed up development for me as well, because I wouldn't have to compile a save file every time I want to test the working build of 20XXTE.

A save file I don't think would work because although you can load a save file over netplay, I think it would write data while playing then your next game would desync unless you went back to the stock save file?

Apparently there is another way, you can create [Patch] in the game ini. He says he thinks you'd know what to do. This would be a be a simple gecko code patch but without the limitations and automatically applied. It patches the game in memory and can be put anywhere.

CeLL

Smash Lord
A save file I don't think would work because although you can load a save file over netplay, I think it would write data while playing then your next game would desync unless you went back to the stock save file?

Apparently there is another way, you can create [Patch] in the game ini. He says he thinks you'd know what to do. This would be a be a simple gecko code patch but without the limitations and automatically applied. It patches the game in memory and can be put anywhere.
There is an option to write to memory cards in the netplay window.

Top Bottom