• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regular 3DS or XL?

Original or XL?

• Original

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • XL

Votes: 73 68.2%

• Total voters

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pikachu XL master race
The XL is one of those things that you get and you're like "wtfnrjbfuhvcv this is a small laptop." It's really great in ways other than big screens though. Anti-glare screens (original is unbearable for me in any sunlit room), battery life, and matte finish are awesome. I don't have huge hands, I'd say they're kind of small and adjusted fine. Also having the 3DS not dig into your palms is nice.

I can't put 3D above half now though.

nessokman

Smash Lord
regular is $30 cheaper, money that could go to buying an actual GAME on the system

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm using the original model.

I don't have the money to buy a 3dsXL, and I don't want to sell my 3ds because I have games that are downloaded from the Eshop on it.

But, I'm perfectly fine with it. :D

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
regular is $30 cheaper, money that could go to buying an actual GAME on the system

Yes, but the $30 towards the XL could go towards longer playing time, a larger screen for easier visibility, better fit for bigger hands, and better ability to see the picture.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice

If it were up to me, I'd rather have no game then be subjected to play on THAT screen. It's like buying an iphone with a 3 inch screen because its $50 cheaper.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Yes, but the $30 towards the XL could go towards longer playing time, a larger screen for easier visibility, better fit for bigger hands, and better ability to see the picture.
If it were up to me, I'd rather have no game then be subjected to play on THAT screen. It's like buying an iphone with a 3 inch screen because its $50 cheaper.
What's the point in owning the system with no games? Thats the issue with the Wii U now. I could buy a 3DS and snake eater 3D or a used copy of Kid icarus: Uprising for the price of an XL, then i would have something fun to do until smash comes out

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
What's the point in owning the system with no games? Thats the issue with the Wii U now. I could buy a 3DS and snake eater 3D or a used copy of Kid icarus: Uprising for the price of an XL, then i would have something fun to do until smash comes out

And what games would you buy after that? Think about it, you're not just going to get one game for the 3DS. Even if you pay $30 extra for the bigger screen, better battery, and better handling, it's not like you're restricted to just buying one or two less games than if you went 3DS.

The more surprising thing to me is, two 3DS games is enough for you to be set for 8+ months.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I mean I guess if your situation dictated that you either get an XL and no game or a regular and one game that would apply, but I think it doesn't for most.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Wh
And what games would you buy after that? Think about it, you're not just going to get one game for the 3DS. Even if you pay $30 extra for the bigger screen, better battery, and better handling, it's not like you're restricted to just buying one or two less games than if you went 3DS.

The more surprising thing to me is, two 3DS games is enough for you to be set for 8+ months.
What If I only have $200?( if a parent pays for tax) I can buy one XL for $190 and have NOTHING to play, or I can get the $160 basic and get fire emblem, which will keep me busy for at minimal 2 months.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I don't know man? Why in the world would paying $30 more mean I will never be able to own games? Does that even make any sense? Also I could buy a used XL on kijiji for $150, so with my original (200) I could buy even more used games. It's about preference. Not all of us rely on lunch money to buy our stuff.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I don't know man? Why in the world would paying $30 more mean I will never be able to own games? Does that even make any sense? Also I could buy a used XL on kijiji for $150, so with my original (200) I could buy even more used games. It's about preference. Not all of us rely on lunch money to buy our stuff.
You calling me poor?????I am far from poor, but I do work hard for my money. I did not Ever say you'd never own a game I said not immediately after you get it, which is when normal people(idk abou you rich people) want to play our game systems

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Wh
What If I only have $200?( if a parent pays for tax) I can buy one XL for $190 and have NOTHING to play, or I can get the $160 basic and get fire emblem, which will keep me busy for at minimal 2 months.

Because it's assumed you'd have more money to actually get a decent amount of games. If you can only buy one and that'll have to work for 6 or more months, I'd question getting a 3DS at all at this point.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I didn't even know there was an XL. I will probably get that just because I don't like small screens. I will need to look into the price differences though. I don't currently think that 3DS has a good library. So I might just stick with the cheaper one if nothing good comes out by the end of this year. Luigi's Mansion 2, Ocarina of Time, and Starfox 64 are the only games I want. I would say Pokemon X/Y but I am getting a little tired of the same stuff year after year. I don't really want to support a franchise that is not willing adapt. So I would mostly be getting a 3DS for Brawl and classics. If the XL is significantly higher priced I will just stick with the regular one.
You don't think the 3DS has a good library? Damn you must be picky with your games, I easily think right now the 3DS has the best library of games to play out of all the current systems. Its really become the PS2 of this generation in my opinion. Pokemon X & Y is the most changed game in the pokemon series that we've had in ages and your complaining about the lack of adapting?? IF anything you should buy a 3DS just to buy Pokemon X & Y to show your support for them adapting the main series for once...

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
You don't think the 3DS has a good library? Damn you must be picky with your games, I easily think right now the 3DS has the best library of games to play out of all the current systems. Its really become the PS2 of this generation in my opinion. Pokemon X & Y is the most changed game in the pokemon series that we've had in ages and your complaining about the lack of adapting?? IF anything you should buy a 3DS just to buy Pokemon X & Y to show your support for them adapting the main series for once...

I don't know why people keep saying it has no games...that might have been true in 2011, but not now. And I think Nintendo has done just fine adapting, they just choose not to go with themes outside of the "Nintendo-verse", because in essence they're limited to whatever fiction we've already established.

I'll just list off some games on Metacritic for our friend:

-Cave Story and Cave Story 3D
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-Mario Kart 7
-Super Street Fighter 4
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf
-Donkey Kong Country Returns

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Metroid and Smash is instant buy.

Although i do want DKCR.

Animal crossing is good but kinda pointless..i played the ds one it was good but lonely/boring fast...you need people to play that game..

never played FE.

dont like street fighter...

I hate pit...but heard good stuff about uprising..i mayy get it if it drops...

Only game i got is MK7 and its the most boring Mario kart i have ever played...i official think MK is dead, dried out for me....the DS one was godly.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Because it's assumed you'd have more money to actually get a decent amount of games. If you can only buy one and that'll have to work for 6 or more months, I'd question getting a 3DS at all at this point.
Why assume that? not everyone does. I am going to save for a wii u and get wind waker, pikmin, and a vc gift card to buy earthbound for christmas.

Honestly, Fire Emblem Awakening lasted 4 months alone, and that was 4 hours a day, i beat it on hard 3 times and got half way through lunatic and got bored... All the spotpass things and my perfectionism kept me busy, i have an incredible army that can beat the last boss in 2 turns......

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Honestly, I might stop getting the Nintendo home consoles because I am perfectly fine with the handhelds. Unless the next Smash game (if they have one after Smash 4) or Pokemon game become console exclusive (I really doubt that Pokemon would do that though), I will stick with the 3DS XL. Can't wait to see what they would make after the 3DS/ 3DS XL because I don't know what else they would manage to make. Anyways, I would stick with the 3DS XL. So much better in my opinion.

Los

Smash Rookie
3DS XL but i'm thinking i wish i would have picked up the normal one instead. It seems more comfortable tbh.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Idk I have a regular 3DS and I have big hands but my hands feel find on it but I might get a XL for Christmas :)

nessokman

Smash Lord
The XL isn't worth it. I never had an issue with the small screen. It doesn't do much more than make what's on screen a small bit bigger. Less portability than the original, fire emblem awakening was the only game I had trouble with size wise, and then it was only because it was zoomed out. No need to blow $30 extra dollars out. You could get a $20 eshop card and play classic games VIA. Eshop. It isn't necessary to have a bigger screen, and battery life can be easily solved for long car rides by buying a car charger.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Though I'm not sure if I'll buy the 3DS version IF I do I will definitely play on the original. Why? Because that's the version I currently have and I'm not going to waste money for a slightly larger screen!

YaBoiobZ

Smash Rookie
Lmao if you buy a car charger thats gunna be like 10$ or so. So you might as well spend an extra 20$ to get the way more improved system. I whipe my a$$ with 20$. Unless your broke and have no job that extra 30$ shouldnt be an issue especially when you are already paying 170$. The 3ds has other improvements besides just bigger screens, which the screens alone are worth the money.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
If I do decide to grab Smash 3DS I will be playing on the reg 3DS.

I still regret buying the 3DS at launch. I could have waited and got the XL, but it's no big deal.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Lmao if you buy a car charger thats gunna be like 10$ or so. So you might as well spend an extra 20$ to get the way more improved system. I whipe my a$$ with 20$. Unless your broke and have no job that extra 30$ shouldnt be an issue especially when you are already paying 170$. The 3ds has other improvements besides just bigger screens, which the screens alone are worth the money.
New person... Please realize not everyone is rich, or has a car to drive to work in.It is a good $30 gap between reg. and XL. I'd save $20, and that money can go toward buying a Wii U.You also have to understand a job a teen would have probably pays minimum wage, which is a little more than $7.00 per hour. I live farther from civilization ( just loved wording that) and all my pay would go to gas

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The XL isn't worth it. I never had an issue with the small screen. It doesn't do much more than make what's on screen a small bit bigger. Less portability than the original, fire emblem awakening was the only game I had trouble with size wise, and then it was only because it was zoomed out. No need to blow $30 extra dollars out. You could get a $20 eshop card and play classic games VIA. Eshop. It isn't necessary to have a bigger screen, and battery life can be easily solved for long car rides by buying a car charger.

The disadvantage with the 3DS model is that unless you also have screen protectors you're going to scratch up your screens every time you open and close it, it was an unforeseen design flaw in the regular 3DS since upon closing your system the plastic border of the smaller screen will actually contact the larger one.

If anyone keeps up with cheapassgamer you'll find that 3DS and 3DS XL models go on sale quite often, I've seen the XL models go as low as $150 new and $100 used so if money is an issue I'd advise people to browse for deals. Personally the larger screen, longer battery life, lack of scratching upon open and close, and in my case the Pikachu model, was well worth the extra $30.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Got a regular black 3DS that was on sale for $150 the other day. I wanted an XL, but the idea of getting a new system and Luigi's Mansion for just under $200 seemed too good a deal. I wanted the bigger screen for Smash, but I'm sure the regular will work just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's not much difference between the models, hardware-wise.

Now I'm looking at this thing and wondering how the hell Smash will work. This is a series of games that is notorious for wearing down and/or breaking control sticks, and I don't see that little circle pad faring too well over time.

YaBoiobZ

Smash Rookie
I agree with you. The circle pad is more delicate than a real analog stick and I feel like its also less accurate when trying to make small precise movements. I really hope that they make some kind of gamecube grip for the 3ds lol or something with an analog stick. But tbh if they do make something I would not be surprised if they only make it for the XL model since its newer.

Between the 2 models the hardware is basically the same but with the XL you get the huge screens, its alot more comfortable to hold. The Home Start and Select buttons are real buttons, the stylus is much more conveniently located and battery life is better.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
3DS:
Better resolution
More portability
Better feeling for smaller hands
Cheaper

3DS XL:
Larger screen
Better battery life
Less glare
Better for larger hands
Bigger range of 3D because of bigger slider

Probably missed some stuff, but here are the pros for both that I can think of. Also note that I could be wrong about the slider for the 3DS XL, so please tell me so I can correct it.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I have a original 3DS I might get a XL only because of a few things it has like better battery Life etc... but I'm always good just playing the regular 3DS

Foxxie

Smash Rookie
I have the XL and besides the fact that it's a little irksome to carry around in, say, a pocket, I'd say it's worth the extra cash. Fire Emblem (for one) looks beautiful with the bigger screen, the lack of glare is really important for me since I'll often be playing it while I'm outside, the battery life is great, and since I was doing a massive trade-in to be able to afford it in the first place I had the money to spare to get a game on the spot and come back a few weeks later to pick up a second.

I see the truth in the statement that if you have to choose between a 3DS and getting a game right that instant and a 3DS XL and having to wait to get your first game that the 3DS would be the better value. But, honestly, don't buy a system at all if you're not going to have the money to keep yourself entertained on it for the foreseeable future. On the 3DS, regardless of whether it's XL or not, if you buy the right three or so games you'll be set for months. The current library of the WiiU can't claim the same unless you look at VC.

Go with the XL so that SSB will look great and you'll be able to play it longer and more comfortably. Save up for it if you have to.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I had this one friend who got a DSi and didn't have any games for it. He said it was the most boring thing ever. The only thing he had to do was the flipnote, and since he was a a talented artist, he made pretty good ones. Oh my gosh, you should'v seen how happy he was when I got him a game for his birthday. So yeah, if you don't have the money, don't get a system without a game. And if you can only get one or twwo games, hopefully they have a long story, or onliine play (Kid Icarus, Pokemon, Smash 3DS most likely). And anyways, aren't there a bunch of games you could download for free (even if they are demos), so I think if you (for some reason) decided to get a 3DS or 3DS XL without games, you should be able to play a bunch of free games untill you get a real one. Oh yeah, can't wait to see what street pass will be like.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I don't have a XL but I prefer it because of Better Battery life and etc especially since I have big hands and I feel uncomfortable plus I'd rather have more playtime than less I might ask my Mom to buy me one tomorrow when we go to gamestop and trade in my regular 3DS who know I might get lucky if she says ye :D and if she says No then I'll have to wait til Chritmas D: but I can wait.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
why would anyone sane and sober buy a 3ds anyway
If you are asking why people would buy a 3DS over a 3DS XL, then there are many reasons. Don't have the money, better resolution, more portable, and other reasons. If you are asking why people would buy a 3DS at all, then just remember that it has way more games, more accessability, and more people using it than a Wii U. Assuming that you are comparing to a Wii U. Not trying to put words in your mouth.

Top Bottom