• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding Robin matchup

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've been playing Falcon almost exclusively both against friends online and in For Glory mode, and one of the toughest matchup i've face personally is Robin.
Now i don't think Robin is overpowered in any way, and this is not a rant about this matchup being unbeatable; however, i've noticed Robin is really good at leaving you short of approach options.
His arcfire is one of the best moves to keep you at bay, leaving options like DA or Dash grab out and forcing you to play in a different way. This is also helped by the FD centric playstyle of For Glory mode, wich has proven to be advantageous for camping, and even i have found myself doing better at this matchup while playing on Battlefield or Yoshi's Island.
With that said, Smash for 3ds will still be mostly about FD versions, so i would appreciate tips or tactics from people with more experience than me, not just for this matchup but for camping characters in general.

Last edited:

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
I struggle with this matchup too. Arc fire is incredibly annoying. I've been trying to hop over the arc fire into a nair -> jab with some success.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
I am a robin! Arcfire has plenty of lag after its thrown. Dashing towards us to bait an arc fire and then jumping over + nair and stuff is an alright way of getting in. If we have thunder fully charged you'll have plenty more trouble getting in, so trying to bait it out while far away is a good idea. Our grab is one of the slowest and overall pretty garbage, so shielding when in close range is alright. You can roll past arcfire too. Our recovery (if you get us far out) should be easily dair-able (with some practice) too so that can be fun

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Robin is an incredibly strong character. His major weakness though is that he's slow. And I mean really slow. What this means for Falcon is that once you get up in his face, you gotta make sure you stay there. Keep inside his zone of comfort once you get a chance. All of his spells have a fair amount of startup time (minus nosferatu), so as long as you're staying close enough that he's afraid to use one, you'll have an easier time dealing with it. But that's the trick though: getting close in the first place.

You are right that the FD layout greatly benefits Robin. It limits Falcon's approach options tremendously. When Arcfire is out, we basically have three choices
1. Jump. You could jump over the fire, but this leaves you vulnerable to Robins intimidating aerials, especially the uair, which is really good.
2. Roll. You could roll through the fire, but again this leaves you vulnerable to anything he wants to throw at you(nosferatu, arcthunder, smash attack, grab)
3. You could wait close to the fire. This is, in my opinion, the correct choice in most circumstances. If you simple wait near the fire, taking care to avoid any approach he may try to make or any ranged attacks, the distance between the two of you will be relatively small, and you should be able to get him with a dash attack or even a Falcon Kick if he tries to set up the arcfire again, which resets the playing field and gets him airborn.

If he's throwing the fires out quickly, just remember that he will run out eventually. Just don't get stuck in one in the meantime, or you're going to be eating at least 20 percent.

Top Bottom