• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

regarding mario's excessive tournament reps

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is there something hidden that i dont know about, or is he just being repped because m2k uses him

it baffles me he's getting more reps than ike, shulk, peach, puff, wario, yoshi, and the links, to name a few

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Mario has some pretty silly combo game, also his play style isn't all that unlike pm mario which is already figured out while some of the characters you mentioned are brand new or heavily changed from brawl and aren't as dissected. That is just my opinion. I honestly think mario is top 10 if not top 5 this game though.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Mario has some pretty silly combo game, also his play style isn't all that unlike pm mario which is already figured out while some of the characters you mentioned are brand new or heavily changed from brawl and aren't as dissected. That is just my opinion. I honestly think mario is top 10 if not top 5 this game though.
he's not bottom but by putting him top 10 you're implying he's better/on par with than wario, peach, puff, fox, falcon, shulk, the pits, ness, sonic, yoshi and a bunch of other characters that are straight better than mario

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
he's not bottom but by putting him top 10 you're implying he's better/on par with than wario, peach, puff, fox, falcon, shulk, the pits, ness, sonic, yoshi and a bunch of other characters that are straight better than mario
I mean who would you say top ten are, not that it matters who we think they are we will see with tourney results and such but I mean diddy, sanic, sheik, zzs, yoshi, mario, ness, and lucario are the only definites in my opinion. Then maybe fox, puff, falcon, and villager.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario still has a number of weaknesses to be top 10 in this game imo.
Pretty much. His combos aren't reliable enough to make up for the fact he can be juggled and edgeguarded. Regardless though, he is a very solid character. As I said time and time before, I'm not comfortable placing Mario in a tier just yet, because it's possible everyone in the cast are capable of taking a tournament. So the gap in tiers can actually be very small.

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario is not top 10, no way. He's not awful but he's still overrated if you ask me.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Honestly, I do find it ironic there's a thread about there being so many Mario mains when this is one of the least active boards on this site.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Honestly, I do find it ironic there's a thread about there being so many Mario mains when this is one of the least active boards on this site.
Tell me about it. I would love all these "new" Mario players to help improve his metagame, lol.

I would love Ally to share some knowledge.

But in reality, SWF is slowly becoming obsolete socially because of Facebook smash groups.

dbzeenx

Smash Cadet
I'm not a new Mario player, what I am is a new competitive player. I've been using Mario for 7 long years now. (Didn't know about Smash Bros up until that point of my life)

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Are there any tourney vids of mario placing well with stacked brackets

Im thinking about getting a wiiu and playing comp cause perfect pivot is impossible on 3ds for me

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is my first time hearing about it. From what I know Mario is one of the more overlooked characters. I mean, just look at his board. Of course, that's going to come back to bite them when the Mario Master Race starts their crusade for world domination, but I digress.

IronMario31

Smash Rookie
^ Truth. In this iteration of smash they did a good job making Mario completely balanced since in other Mario sports games he is known for being a character with no notable strengths and no weaknesses. But with people like Ally bringing Mario up and people who were loyal with Mario improving with each iteration, the bandwagon effect is inevitable. In SSB4 he's had a notable improvement so to say it simply we are reaping the benefits of playing Mario for so long.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
^ Truth. In this iteration of smash they did a good job making Mario completely balanced since in other Mario sports games he is known for being a character with no notable strengths and no weaknesses. But with people like Ally bringing Mario up and people who were loyal with Mario improving with each iteration, the bandwagon effect is inevitable. In SSB4 he's had a notable improvement so to say it simply we are reaping the benefits of playing Mario for so long.
You referring to me or somebody else? There's a reply button for that purpose, just to let you know. But if you are referring to me, I agree for the most part. Although, the bandwagon effect is much less noticeable here than other examples, like say, ZeRo and Diddy and others like that. But ZeRo is a bad example cause rides the bandwagon more than he leads it. But even with the extra fame I still feel like Mario's getting the colder shoulder. (You have a picture of Knuckles so I think you'll get that.) But like I said, the nonbelievers will pay soon enough when Mario makes his uprising. And the Mario board will laugh and watch innocently.
With the combos and gimps and whatnot I feel like this time Mario has more strengths than weaknesses. All jokes aside, I can see him being maybe top 20. But definitely not top 10 like others are saying. Silently praying I'm wrong.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think there was only myself and one other Mario main at the tournament I was at last night.

Top Bottom