• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request REDUCED Short Hop Jump Input Frame Window?

Tri

Smash Rookie
Is there a code to give every character the same short hop input frame window as Fox/Samus/Sheik while still maintaining the same length of their jumpsquat? For example, is it possible to require a Link to release jump before frame 3 to SH while still having a 6-frame JS?

I've found a lot of codes to extend the SH timing window by one frame, but nothing to modify it to a specific frame.

Asking as a Link main who can no longer effortlessly SH as other characters because his thumb has gotten lazy in the SH department.

Tri

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about this the other day and had some thoughts that might help clarify what I'm trying to accomplish here.

I have some very basic knowledge of coding. I've done some GameShark hacking back in the day, so I know how those code structures work:

XXYYYYYY ZZZZ

X's - code type (activator or value rewrite 8-bit vs. 16 bit, etc.)
Y's - memory address
Z's - value

Unfortunately, I don't know how action replay or Gecko codes are formatted. That said, I'm sure they can operate on the same principle.

So if the game determines Link's jump type like this (for simplicity's sake, "Y" is used instead of "Y or X")...

-Y Pressed, Link enters JumpSquat state on Frame 1
-If Y is let go on:
-- Frame 2 of JumpSquat >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 3 " " >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 4 " " >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 5 " " >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 6 " " >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 7 " " >> Nope, too late, it's a FH now. Besides, there's no frame 7 of Jumpsquat, dude

...can we implement codes that do the following?:

-Y pressed, Link enters Jumpsquat state on Frame 1
-If Y is let go on:
-- Frame 2 of JumpSquat >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 3 " " >> SH on frame 7
-- Frame 4 " " >> Nope, too late, we're gonna tell the game that you're still holding Y for the next 3 frames so it results in a FH
-- Frame 5 " " >> Gonna tell the game you're still holding Y for 2 more frames, so FH
-- Frame 6 " " >> You're a Link main, aren't you? Y for one more frame, FH
-- Frame 7 " " >> FH. Derr.

Yeah, I know this would almost certainly cause desyncs on Slippi, but that's not a concern. And it doesn't have to be for every character, or even every controller port. If this were the N64, I'd know how to format the code, but unfortunately that's not the case. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tri

Smash Rookie
ALSO, last but not least: it does not need to be AR. Gecko's fine. I just used the AR example because I understand it slightly more than Gecko. But from the looks of it, they more or less operate the same way, just with different formatting.

Top Bottom