• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recycled properties due to early development?

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to log in and state a few things that I haven't caught on any other threads.

The first thing I noticed when Smash was revealed at E3 was how much of the original properties they were using.

Though it's understandable that some character models would not be drastically changed between Brawl and Smash 4, most of the animations were. I did not see a single new animation for Mario, DK, Fox, Samus (aside from effects on her F Smash), Kirby or Pikachu.

Part of me wants to believe this is only due to the fact that development is still early and most likely all of the assets from Brawl were ported over at the beginning of the project. Other evidence supporting this sort of "Just take what your seeing with a grain of salt" side of the argument is the fact that none of the returning roster had any facial animations while they were idling (animations which were also clearly ported, along with sfx.) Some final evidence supporting this is the fact that some characters with model overhauls (Bowser) look odd when performing classic moves (3DS Bowser neutral b looks very stiff and the Wii U version's d tilt doesn't seem like it animates his hands in anyway.)

That said, I find it strange that they would show some new subtle features (and simple aesthetics) like super armor on DK's up b and Mario's fair and the fact that everything is getting tracers if some of those moves might not make the final cut.

What do you guys think?

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Smash games are consistently some of the most polished and complete gaming experiences I have ever owned. I wouldn't worry. Nintendo is good at this kind of thing.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Actually, some of Samus's attacks are slightly different. Her standard attacks, particularly her kicks, flow differently.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
man people must have better eyes then me I see nothing wrong

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
We know that some characters have received animation overhauls, including a very drastic one in the case of Bowser. It stands to reason that Sakurai and his team will only reuse the same animations for other characters if they feel that those animations best represent the character. I would not worry.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I noticed as well OP as far as the used SFXs goes.
However I'm not in the same mind set as most of these users here acting like "It'z Nintendope! Day will deliver the goodz man, a triple A game!"

So far to me it's looking like Brawl 2.0 and with that I'll sit back and watch the show unfold.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I noticed as well OP as far as the used SFXs goes.
However I'm not in the same mind set as most of these users here acting like "It'z Nintendope! Day will deliver the goodz man, a triple A game!"

So far to me it's looking like Brawl 2.0 and with that I'll sit back and watch the show unfold.
Say what you will about the gameplay, but Brawl looked great, and I have every confidence that SSB4 will as well.

BillyBomberBuster

Smash Rookie
There is a post comparing Wii U Mario to Brawl's Mario. While jumping Mario is actually smiling in the upcoming brawl game, as mario should be doing. In Brawl mario kept a straight face the whole time, unless he was getting hit. An almost unoticeable change unless you pause the game. They are adding detail, stop worrying.

Top Bottom