• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recommendation for practicing smash melee/getting good.

waff1ez

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I am a player of every smash title, however... It has been a very long time since I have played melee. As such I would very much like to pick up smash melee again. I do not have a gamecube anymore but I do have a wii u with smash 4, brawl, and a (semi functioning) project M. So again I would like to ask, how would you recommend me practicing melee/getting good (I can dolphin it).

Play any fighting game online to learn the fundamental skills in the neutral game (prediction, mix ups, spacing). Try it with Melee or Smash 4. Both will work. Although 1 of them is closer to being 1:1 with local play Melee

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
If you want to get good at Melee, the best way is certainly to play Melee. If you have a computer that can run it on dolphin, I'd recommend downloading 20XX and just start playing around. Watch videos of high level Melee, play around with the different (preferably high tier) characters, and figure out which character you really want to dive into. Once you've picked your character, you want to start with basic tech: wavedashing, dash dancing, SHFFLing, and teching consistently when appropriate. There are guides on youtube that can help you with all of this. Kevin Toy (aka PewPewU) has a lot of great tech tutorials that are mainly geared towards Marth, but really translate to most characters. There's another channel called SSBM Tutorials that has a ton of tutorial videos on fundamentals and character specific techniques. Watch high level players that play your character and pay attention to how they set up for combos and how they chain one move into the next to give you ideas of what you should be looking for in a real game. And if you're playing on dolphin, you should look into netplay, which will allow you to play online with other players (albeit, with a bit of input lag). And once you have the basics down, start looking around for your closest local scene and try to attend some events! Most people in the community are super friendly and willing to help those who are looking to improve. Good luck, man!

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
in no order:

– go through everything in the melee library, which is pretty easy to find if you just google it
– get basic tech down (know the limits of your dash dance, get wavedashing and l-canceling down near 100% of the time and try to gain a rudimentary understanding of how/when you should use them)
– go to tournaments as soon as possible
– watch analysis vids. mango, leffen, sfat, druggedfox and the miom channel all have pretty good ones that you can find without much effort.
– study videos
– practice and put emphasis on learning while you practice instead of grinding out hours. make the most of your time when you play

that's basically the gist of it. everything else should come naturally
it's a lot of information but melee requires a lot of effort to even be decent at

Last edited:
Top Bottom